PDA

View Full Version : Mother's call gets son in hot water

Ally_Kat
05-06-2005, 01:26 PM
Mother's call gets son in hot water

BY ANGELIQUE SOENARIE

Staff Writer

Kevin Francois gave up his lunch break to talk to his mother, but it ended up costing him the rest of the school year.

Francois, a junior at Spencer High School in Columbus, was suspended for disorderly conduct Wednesday after he was told to give up his cell phone at lunch while talking to his mother who is deployed in Iraq, he said.

His mother, Sgt. 1st Class Monique Bates, left in January for a one-year tour and serves with the 203rd Forward Support Battalion, 3rd Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division.

"This is our first time separated like this," said Francois, 17, on Thursday.

Bates came to Fort Benning with her son from Hunter Army Airfield in Savannah, Ga. She enrolled him at Spencer in August. Since her deployment overseas, Francois, whose father was killed when he was 5 years old, lives with a guardian who has five children in Columbus.

The incident happened when Francois received a call from his mother at 12:30 p.m., which he said was his lunch break. Francois said he went outside the school building to get a better reception when his mother called. A teacher who saw Francois on his phone told him to get off the phone. But he didn't.

According to the Muscogee County School District Board of Education's policy, students are allowed to have cell phones in school, but cannot use them during school hours.

"They are really allowed to have those cell phones so that after band or after chorus or after the debate and practices are over they have to coordinate with the parents," said Alfred Parham, assistant principal at Spencer. "They're not supposed to use them for conversating back and forth during school because if they were allowed to do that, they could be text messaging each other for test questions."

Francois said he told the teacher, "This is my mom in Iraq. I'm not about to hang up on my mom."

Francois said the teacher tried to take the phone, causing it to hang up.

The student said he then went with the teacher to the school's office where he surrendered his phone. His mother called again at 12:37 p.m. and left a message scolding her son about hanging up and telling him to answer the phone when she calls.

Control issue

Parham said the teen's suspension was based on his reaction when he was asked to give up the cell phone and told about the school's cell phone policy.

"Kevin got defiant and disorderly with Mr. Turner and another assistant principal," Parham said Thursday. "He got defiant with me. He refused to leave Mr. Turner's office. When a kid becomes out of control like that they can either be arrested or suspended for 10 days. Now being that his mother is in Iraq, we're not trying to cause her any undue hardship; he was suspended for 10 days."

Wendall Turner is another assistant principal at Spencer.

Parham said the student used profanity when he was taken into the office. He said he tried to work out something with the student. But Francois said he was too frustrated he couldn't answer the phone when his mother called him the second time.

"I even asked Kevin, 'You know we can try to work something out to where if your mother wants to call you she can call you at the school,'" Parham said. "So we've tried to work with Kevin and we're going to continue to try to work with Kevin and his mother and his relatives. In the course of good order and discipline, we have to abide by our policy."

Francois admitted he was partially at fault for his behavior but said he should have been allowed to talk to his mother.

"I was mad at the time, but I feel now maybe I should've went about it differently," he said. "Maybe I should've just waited outside to pick up the phone. But I don't I feel I should've changed any of my actions. I feel I was right by not hanging up the phone."

For Francois, he said he gets to hear from his mother once a month, and phone calls vary depending on when she can use the phone in Iraq. Francois said his mother calls as late as 1 a.m. to 3 a.m. and tries to catch him during hours he's awake. He said the phone call Wednesday was the first time she called him while he was at school.

Francois, who said he's been struggling with his grades in school, wants to go back to school and finish the rest of his year. He fears he may have pay for summer school because of his punishment.

"My grades had been low, but I was bringing them up. My grades were coming back up. On one of my report cards I had like a 'F' in one of my classes, but I brought it back up to a low 'C.' This just brought me all the way down."

The Scatologist
05-06-2005, 03:47 PM
Those teachers need to have their ass beaten, then fired.

Dr. Love
05-06-2005, 04:21 PM
That's bull shit. Expect to see a reversal soon.

Figs
05-06-2005, 04:29 PM
What a fucking idiot!!

BigBadBrian
05-06-2005, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by The Scatologist

I agree.

:gun:

UNCLAX72
05-07-2005, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by The Scatologist

I agree also.They're most likely nutty, liberal, communist, (negative) feminists. They probably don't believe that a kid should be able to talk to his mom in Iraq because they probably don't fuckin agree with the war. so fuck those teachers to hell. The teachers in my school are exactly the same way and yes i am a minor... a very informed one..... and yes i hate liberal educators they have fucked up my generation very badly.... it is sad what education is coming to these days.

Nickdfresh
05-07-2005, 12:32 AM
That post made me laugh very hard!:D

steve
05-08-2005, 12:58 PM
There could be a lot they are not telling us in the story.

Perhaps the events went like this:

Kid on cell phone.
Teacher tells kid to get off cell phone.
Kid says "No way, bitch".
Teacher grabs cell phone.
Kid pushes teacher.
Teacher falls on ground.
Kid THEN says "my mother was in Iraq, cunt".

If THAT were what happened, sure as hell I would suspend the kid. the story made it sound like there was some sort of scuffle with the cell phone - but told little of the specifics of it.

Who knows.

steve
05-08-2005, 01:07 PM
Also, perhaps the school has a really bad drug or gang problem - and they barred cell phone use for that reason.

Somehow I doubt if the teacher really knew the kid was talking to his mom in Iraq on his cell phone prior to the cell phone scuffle happening.

With all the disipline problems in schools these days, I give the benefit of the doubt to the teachers in this case.

blueturk
05-08-2005, 01:48 PM
http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/news/11593859.htm

Posted on Sun, May. 08, 2005

Penalty by school is reduced after outcry

Teen wouldn't give up cell phone as he spoke to mom serving in Iraq

Associated Press

COLUMBUS, Ga. - Following hundreds of angry phone calls and e-mails, school officials in this Army base city have reduced a suspension imposed on a student who wouldn't give up his cell phone while talking to his mom -- Sgt. 1st Class Monique Bates, who is on duty in Iraq.

The angry calls about the boy's suspension got so bad at one point that secretaries had to take their phones off the hook, Assistant Principal Alfred Parham said.

Kevin Francois, a 17-year-old junior at Spencer High School, was suspended for 10 days for disorderly conduct Wednesday after a teacher told him to give up his cell phone outside the school during his lunch break and he refused, the teen said.

The punishment for using a cell phone during school hours is losing the phone until the end of the day. But Francois was suspended for cursing and being defiant, said Parham.

Friday, after meeting with Francois and a guardian, the school district reduced the suspension to three days, allowing Francois back in class Monday.

Parham said Francois' behavior at school has been "a chronic problem."

And Francois added: "I'm not a golden child and I've been wrong, but I was right this time."

American Gypsy
05-08-2005, 01:54 PM
The fact that the kid seems to appreciate the implications of his actions after the fact show that he's a victim of poor judgement.
If he had, upon recieving the call, informed the nearest teacher and maybe even let them speak with the mother for a second as proof, then this thread wouldn't be running.
To tell the truth, now that machine gun rodeo at schools aren't t.v. minidrama material anymore, for any teacher it's a hard call to stop a 17 yr old from doing anything for fear of getting a HP slug from dad's deer rifle tommorow during break.

Mezro
05-08-2005, 02:48 PM
I would have told them to go fuck themselves.

Mezro...principals are stupid pricks nursing small penis syndrome...

DLR82VH
05-09-2005, 12:37 PM
I don't think the teacher should have grabbed for the phone in the first place........maybe went and got someone of higher authority if it was such a big deal.

Another thing they allow cell phones at school.....ok well this shit should be expected. How the hell can students text message test answers?? Don't the teachers survey these kids while they take the tests???

I imagine I'd be kinda pissed to because I know how some teachers can be, thinkin they have all this authority and become major assholes.