A 1988 Article For 3 Lock Rock, Thorman, RR Brigade, etc.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueturk
    Veteran
    • Jul 2004

A 1988 Article For 3 Lock Rock, Thorman, RR Brigade, etc.

Lately I notice that there's a lot of name-calling and venomous insults between the Dave faction and the Hagar fans who are so mysteriously drawn to a Diamond Dave site. Well, here's an article from The Village Voice written by Deborah Frost which explains why Van Hagar was (and still is) inferior to the original model. Ms. Frost isn't even a huge Dave fan.She simply pinpoints the problem with Sammy Hagar with incredible and well-written accuracy. Who knows? Maybe 3 Lock, Thorman, et al, will learn something.

Van Halen: Monsters of Rock Weenie Roast
    Deborah Frost, Village Voice, 28 June 1988

VAN HALEN'S resident virtuoso launched a zillion whammy bars and charted heavy guitar's course for the '80s. The band's high-concept ex-vocalist sent a nation out for peroxide and made hard rock front men sex symbols again.

David Lee Roth, from whom Van Halen can't be divorced yet anymore than Mick can be discussed without the Stones, liked to describe what Van Halen did as Big Rock. And in the decade since the band burst out of suburban L.A., Van Halen set records for the biggest noise, the biggest load of equipment, the biggest haul for a single performance (a million dollars, at the US Festival). With Eddie Van Halen delivering six-string soliloquies like Olivier on one hand and the Enola Gay on the other, Van Halen exploded pop (even if every time their synth-bolstered number one single, 'Jump', came on the radio in 1984 it sounded like the best song Journey ever did) and melted most flash 'n' burn metal competition.

Live, Van Halen's music takes on other dimensions. With OU812 (Warner Bros.), their eighth album (second with singer/pugilist Sammy Hagar), topping the charts, and the band headlining the massive Monsters of Rock tour, Van Halen's bigger than ever. At noon on June 10 in RFK Stadium, Washington D.C., it looked like school was out forever. And for the next nine hours I had plenty of time to wonder about stuff like if all the hair there was laid head to head, where would it reach? After four merely platinum warm-up bands – Kingdom Come, Metallica, Dokken, and the Scorpions – you'd think Van Halen would be the monster of them all.

That was the design, but many D.C. headbangers weren't buying it. With the exception of Metallica, Van Halen chose safe, workmanlike acts that offered little competition or excitement. And despite the hype, many seats and much of the field were empty. Perhaps the potential audience was not jazzed about seeing Kingdom Come (deflated Led Zep), Dokken (despite a guitarist who's the best of the Eddie-ots), or the Scorpions (peaked in '84). Monsters? Where's AC/DC? Aerosmith? Motorhead!

Van Halen's the only group that goes on after dark, the only one with the light show, fireworks, scoreboard-sized logos mounted on PA stacks as tall as office buildings. But as big as it is – and as good as the band can be, live and on record – Van Halen sometimes seems very small. By the time they hit the stage, 8:20, many fans were catatonic (326 drug/alcohol treatments, according to The Washington Post). And with all the big bangs, a drum set that revolved (like Rush's, only bigger) and levitated (like the Scorpions' used to), and zillions of lights that achieved the effect of one disco mirror ball, Van Halen couldn't galvanize us. It's not that the band didn't sound great – they did, especially Eddie's riffs. But sound alone does not a monster make.

Hagar's singing at RFK made us realize that oldies like 'Runnin' With the Devil' and 'Panama' actually have melodies. Sammy can sing. He just can't do much else. Where Roth (whose voice was never his strong point) is the master of the grand gesture, tile ultimate showman, Sammy comes off like a surfer out of water. His jerky aerobics and remedial raps can't sustain a stadium's attention. When he cried at RFK, "Give me everything I need!" the crowd upfront responded with Frisbees and bedsheets.

Then they flicked their Bics. Then they lit cardboard popcorn boxes and held them like torches. Then they set a fire on the Redskins' 50 yard line. Guards rushed with blankets to smother it, as another started on the 20, then yet another across the stadium, and then another. The kids danced in the glow, forgetting the stage. Arms outstretched, they worshipped the flames. At one point there were three good-sized bonfires on the field.

When the tier below me began to glow, I decided not to stick around. Van Halen's show wasn't over, and I joined the hordes streaming out. This was not my idea of a smokin' set.

As with the show, OU812's problem is Hagar. He can croon anything thing Eddie asks him to. Not like Roth, a smart-ass, a narcissist who wraps himself in chains and pouts for Helmut Newton, a nonmusician, a Jew, an outsider. But that's the way the behemoth crumbles. Van Halen Mach II is one for all and all for one. Hagar, whose greatest solo hit was a speed-limit protest song, is so eager to fit into this happy millionaire boy's club that he can't quite figure out how to do the rest of Roth's job, most of which had very little to do with singing. If Roth the cockrocker wasn't completely offensive, it was because he played it so (of course) big, and funny, and injected thumpers like 'Runnin' With the Devil' with semiastute insights – "I found the simple life wasn't to simple."

Corny where Roth was camp, Hagar is simply simple. He tops some of Eddie's steamiest OU812 riffs ('Black and Blue'), jams ('Source of Infection'), and uncharacteristically funky, clean Knopfleresque picking ('Finish What Ya Started') with some of the basest sexist platitudes ever perpetuated. Is it any coincidence that 'Black and Blue', which kicks off with "Bitch sure got the rhythm" and continues "Baby I ain't through with you/The harder the better" shares its name with a Stones album notable for its obnoxious ad campaign?

The shame is not only that this junk is coming from a middle-aged man who's been married for years, has kids, and should know better. It's that Eddie's playing is more seductive than ever, even if on his own songs he hasn't yet come up with a moment as transcendent or perfectly realized as 'Beat and Blue' any more than the jaws of death or the IRS. As the content has become ever more reactionary, the form (despite the usual VH-LP filler – 'Feels So Good', 'Cabo Wabo', 'Sucker in a 3 Piece') has become more sophisticated and expansive, continually pushing the limits of the power chord. So you find yourself humming along with Hagar's "I got the tools" boasts and gimmee-uh grunts, wondering, all the while, when Eddie is going to make an instrumental album.

Hagar was more modest in his solo career and even demonstrated fine taste in covers (he once did a credible, completely unexpected version of Patti Smith's 'Free Money'). He's given Van Halen a conventionally macho personality – chain choking bitches dominate his rockers, ideal virgins the ballads. When not trying to fill Dave's tights, he writes incredibly sentimental goop, like 'Why Can't This Be Love', off 1986's 5150. This year he rewrites it as 'When It's Love'. (What's next? 'Is It Love Yet?') The guy's got leather lungs and a leather brain. Still, as long as Eddie keeps whipping out those party guitar licks, Van Halen will stay above the flames.
  • bueno bob
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

As Three Lock Rock, I thank you for clearing up all of my gayness that supported Van Hagar. As Bueno Bob, informing you that my alias of Three Lock Rock was a joke is only cordial and polite of me.

But maybe I should let 3LR speak for himself?

Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• blueturk
      Veteran
      • Jul 2004

Thank you Bob.

Comment

• tydhurst
        Commando
        • Mar 2004

You could, but... Don't bother. When did it become apparent that you were 3LR?
        Don't need a gun to blow your mind!

http://tydhurst.proboards30.com

Join my forum.

Comment

• bueno bob
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by tydhurst
          You could, but... Don't bother. When did it become apparent that you were 3LR?
          I blew the whistle on him about a week back...although the first, say, 500ish posts were mine, the rest of his posts were from various members of the Sheep Pen Organization, we all shared him for the fun of it.
          Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• tydhurst
            Commando
            • Mar 2004

OK, Is it alright to say i knew then?

Join my forum.

Comment

• bueno bob
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jul 2004

Yes, you'll be safe

You're under Sheep Pen protection, guy! Nobody's gonna get mad at ya!
              Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• Thorman
                Commando
                • Apr 2005

That is so gay..dude...listen up...VH is Sammy and no matter what some stinking journalist says it aint nothing but...I see there is a new recruit out there..RR Brigade,,who may wish to join the 3T's....we can call him RR T or T-RR or Red Rocker T's or Brigade of the T's Rocker...doesnt matter to me...you guys suck...CVH is Sammy

BAM
                http://www.topthat.net/webrock/sounds/bamm.wav

Comment

• tydhurst
                  Commando
                  • Mar 2004

Swish!

My internet was down and i missed when you revealed it to everyone.

Join my forum.

Comment

• bueno bob
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Thorman
                    That is so gay..dude...listen up...VH is Sammy and no matter what some stinking journalist says it aint nothing but...I see there is a new recruit out there..RR Brigade,,who may wish to join the 3T's....we can call him RR T or T-RR or Red Rocker T's or Brigade of the T's Rocker...doesnt matter to me...you guys suck...CVH is Sammy

BAM
                    Gotta go, kids are beating each other up! I'm gonna go win this fight!!
                    Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• tydhurst
                      Commando
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Thorman

BAM
                      Get some new material man!

Join my forum.

Comment

• spmusicplyr
                        Foot Soldier
                        • May 2004

so from this i gather that sammy can sing better than dave and dave can front better than sammy...sounds like an even wash...

but when you buy a record, you dont see the frontman, you hear the voice....

a lot of you guys take this stuff way too seriously....enjoy this site...have fun with the downloads....donate to it! hell, i have!

enjoy the boards, dont abuse them, argue, and ruin them like you've all been doing.....i like dave. i like sammy...

im going to see dave on may 20th with 3 other people from this website.....fabulous shadow, DLRis god and one other person...i saw VH with sammy last year at hte staples center....enjoy them both.

but to argue about dave in VH and who's better...thats irrelevant...a dead issue...beating a dead horse...dwelling on something that was so long ago. why even argue anymore? these people all perform still...just go to their shows and enjoy them.

enjoy the history of VH...enjoy dave today...im gonna enjoy him may 20th...enjoy having your pants around your ankles and jacking off at the computer (which is what most of you middle aged fat ass jerks that cant get real women probably do)....but one thing i dont enjoy is all of you ass holes fighting in here.
                        Got beef with my comments? Blow me!

Comment

• spmusicplyr
                          Foot Soldier
                          • May 2004

hoo-ahh!
                          Got beef with my comments? Blow me!

Comment

• tydhurst
                            Commando
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by spmusicplyr
                            so from this i gather that sammy can sing better than dave and dave can front better than sammy...sounds like an even wash...

but when you buy a record, you dont see the frontman, you hear the voice....

a lot of you guys take this stuff way too seriously....enjoy this site...have fun with the downloads....donate to it! hell, i have!

enjoy the boards, dont abuse them, argue, and ruin them like you've all been doing.....i like dave. i like sammy...

im going to see dave on may 20th with 3 other people from this website.....fabulous shadow, DLRis god and one other person...i saw VH with sammy last year at hte staples center....enjoy them both.

but to argue about dave in VH and who's better...thats irrelevant...a dead issue...beating a dead horse...dwelling on something that was so long ago. why even argue anymore? these people all perform still...just go to their shows and enjoy them.

enjoy the history of VH...enjoy dave today...im gonna enjoy him may 20th...enjoy having your pants around your ankles and jacking off at the computer (which is what most of you middle aged fat ass jerks that cant get real women probably do)....but one thing i dont enjoy is all of you ass holes fighting in here.

There's no need to get mean,man, it's not like we talk about how you were shit when you fronted VH. If you don;t like it, don't post... It's simple. If we want to talk about people having lives, remember, you went to go see Sammy Hagar Live last year, regardless of who he was with!

Join my forum.

Comment

• RR Brigade
                              Full On Cocktard
                              • May 2005

Originally posted by tydhurst
                              Get some new material man!
                              Already have

BAM
                              Psst!