X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve Savicki
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Tom DeLay anti billboards

HOUSTON — A New England group founded by former Democratic presidential candidate Howard Dean erected two billboards Tuesday near the district of House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, highlighting his problems with lobbyist-funded travel.

"Lobbyists sent Tom DeLay golfing; all you got was this billboard," says a billboard overlooking a freeway that bends around downtown Houston, identical to one erected in Galveston County. They will remain up until the end of May.

The billboards refer to golf outings and other foreign trips DeLay took that were paid for by lobbyist Jack Abramoff, whose work is now under criminal investigation.

"The alleged ethics violations that surround Tom DeLay are a disgrace to the integrity of America's political system," Democracy for America Chairman Jim Dean, Howard Dean's brother, said in a statement. "These billboards send the message that Americans and the voters of Texas are sick of corruption and special interests dominating our political system and public officials."

But a local moderate Republican activist said out-of-state efforts will backfire with GOP voters, even those who might not normally support DeLay.

"Our whole state, our whole identity as a people, is we do our own thing," said Geyer Dybesland, president of the Magic Circle Republican Women's Club, a moderate GOP group founded by former first lady Barbara Bush. "We like our politicians tough, and we like them even better when they're being picked on by the media elite."

DeLay's ethics troubles have inspired local Democrats to run better-financed and better-organized campaigns for the March 2006 primary than they have since DeLay was first elected to the 22nd Congressional District in 1984. Former U.S. Rep. Nick Lampson has decided to seek the nomination, and Houston City Councilman Gordon Quan said he is deciding whether to jump in.

Meanwhile, a new poll showed 51 percent of voters in DeLay's district disapproved of the job DeLay was doing in Congress. The poll, conducted for KPRC-TV by SurveyUSA, also showed that 39 percent said he should remain House majority leader, 21 percent said he should resign his leadership post and 36 percent said he should resign from Congress. The poll of 548 registered voters has a margin of error of plus or minus 4.3 percent.

A spokeswoman for Democracy for America declined to reveal how much the group spent on the billboards. A call to Viacom Outdoor, which owns the billboards, was not immediately returned.

Howard Dean is now chairman of the Democratic Party.

<center></center>

I just hope Dean promotes himself and not spend too much time attacking others, or he'll end up in the same stalemate John Kerry was in.
    sigpic
  • Guitar Shark
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2004

Re: Tom DeLay anti billboards

Originally posted by Steve Savicki
    http://www.dailysentinel.com/news/co...illboards.html

"The alleged ethics violations that surround Tom DeLay are a disgrace to the integrity of America's political system," Democracy for America Chairman Jim Dean, Howard Dean's brother, said in a statement. "These billboards send the message that Americans and the voters of Texas are sick of corruption and special interests dominating our political system and public officials."
    Nice to see that the special interests group based in New England that paid for these billboards knows so much about Texas voters.
    ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
    Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Re: Re: Tom DeLay anti billboards

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
      Nice to see that the special interests group based in New England that paid for these billboards knows so much about Texas voters.
      DFA is a national organization. It's obvious that the right wing Texas newspaper which printed this article was trying to write it off as "damn Yankee libruls" as usual.

And as for this statement....
      a moderate GOP group founded by former first lady Barbara Bush.
      Isn't that a little bit like "a brotherhood of man group founded by former Grand Wizard David DuKKKe"?
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Guitar Shark
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Jan 2004

I hate DeLay as much as the next guy, FORD. But this billboard thing is stupid and hypocritical.
        ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
        Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
          I hate DeLay as much as the next guy, FORD. But this billboard thing is stupid and hypocritical.
          How so?

De Lay is a congressman. You have to oppose him in the 22nd district of Texas, because it's those voters who will make that decision ultimately.

Most of them have bought into the manufactured image of the "good Christian public servant", so they allow him to be re-elected. Now that manufactured image is falling apart, but I'd be willing to bet that the coverage in the Houston/Sugarland local media is still ridiculously favorable. What's wrong with telling the truth about the bastard?
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Jan 2004

Aren't you giving Texans too much credit?

C'mon it's billboards! It's not like they're going to actually look up from their longnecks and read something!
            http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...auders1zl5.gif
            http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...willywonka.gif

Comment

• BigBadBrian
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DrMaddVibe

C'mon it's billboards! It's not like they're going to actually look up from their longnecks and read something!

A billboard is just something else for them to put another rifle round through.
              “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
                A billboard is just something else for them to put another rifle round through.
                Fuckin A

Damn funny for a Con

Originally posted by Kristy
                Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
                Originally posted by cadaverdog
                I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by DrMaddVibe

Texas Driver: Hey Bubba, hold my beer for a sec, I wanna slow down and read what that sign says......

Golf?

Whatthafuckisthat?
                  Originally posted by Kristy
                  Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
                  Originally posted by cadaverdog
                  I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• Dr. Love
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Jan 2004

I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Comment

Working...