PDA

View Full Version : evh guitar

14yr_old_vh_boy
05-12-2005, 07:57 AM
how much do u rekon evh frankenstien guitar iz worth i rekshon its worth 1 to 2 mil

DLR7884
05-12-2005, 10:22 AM
Yeah, I'm gonna have to go ahead and move this....

DLR7884
Away we go.

DrMaddVibe
05-12-2005, 11:16 AM
The Emperor isn't wearing any clothes!

Big Troubles
05-12-2005, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by DLR7884
Yeah, I'm gonna have to go ahead and move this....

DLR7884
Away we go.

roflmao! what? you are not going to guess how much it is worth? :D i reckon $7 billion. $30 bucks if the drunk fucking signed it. :D

Don Corleone
05-12-2005, 01:34 PM
Actually the valuations alot less than that. The most recent one of what is believed to be the Frankie was put at 150,000 USD upwards. The reason for this is that Ed has fucked on so much with that guitar, that no one is really sure what is the original guitar anymore.

GAR
05-12-2005, 02:53 PM
I would say if he kept the original "Frankie" version 1980-83 intact, with the larger Fender headstocked neck (whatever make that neck is) it could possibly reach $2 to $3 mil.

That's the classic Frankie people desire most, the most requested one - with that Red Rhodes "Velvet Hammer" in the neck position, a switch in the middle, a black Gibson in the bridge, the quarter, the musty-rusty Floyd, and whatever else is stuffed under the pickguard besides the Volume potentiometer.

Anvil Case, too, please - in as-is used condition. Even if the latches are trashed.

Five rumors on its' existence:

1. The 80-83 Frankie had red paint added because Ed loathed seeing copies of his B&W paint scheme on other guitars. So he added more tape and sprayed the red on. This was then sold to Mick Mars in 1986.

2. The 78-80 B&W Frankie was retired as a favored instrument and a duplicate was built for touring (the 80-83 design), but the stripes weren't close enough so Ed added the red and this was then sold to Mick Mars in 1986.

3. The 80-83 Frankie *IS* the true 78-80 as Ed has led us to believe, with the red added to thwart copycats. However, after Ed joined up with Kramer in New Jersey and spending several weeks there between Feb to May of 83, he assembled several guitars from the stacks of necks and bodies he took home. Before his shop renovated into a recording studio there are several photos around illustrating stacks of these necks and bodies, and of these EVH sold Mick Mars a dupe in 1986.

4. Ed sold Mick Mars the original 78-83, truly resprayed, one-of-a-kind Frankie Original Flavor© to Mick Mars in 1986.

5. Ed still has the original Frankie no matter what, except it exists between the parts of several guitars in his stash and doesn't want them fucked with because he "likes 'em the way they are, don't fuck with 'em, okay?"

Place your text messageed votes right now with our RothArmy 800 number, provided by AT&T Wireless which one of the above possibilities is the true story! Winners will be announced upon kickoff of the CVH reunion tour at the beginning of ..

- of..

GAR
05-12-2005, 02:54 PM
- and if it ain't a Velvet Hammer single coil in the neck position, it's the one with vulcanized fiberboard bobbin pieces colored red. Not black spray painted red, the fiber is red.

Don Corleone
05-12-2005, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by GAR
I would say if he kept the original "Frankie" version 1980-83 intact, with the larger Fender headstocked neck (whatever make that neck is) it could possibly reach $2 to $3 mil.

That's very true. If the Frankie that Ed has still is the orginal body, then you still have the following things missing

1. The Original neck. The Frankie's now sporting an EVH Charvel Art Series neck, the original is meant to be in 5150 somewhere (but so are around 10 albums worth of material)

2. The original pick up. Rumoured to have found it's way into the 5150 guitar, then broke one night when a string caught on the whindings.

These are 2 key things which will dramitically reduce the sale value.

Big Troubles
05-12-2005, 04:40 PM
yeah but with all that said, it still aint worth 3 beans if Edward doesn't come over and play it himself after a nice 12 step program of course. whats the use of an original Frankie if it aint gonna sound like anything he played on the boots or VH1?

GAR
05-13-2005, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Don Corleone
That's very true. If the Frankie that Ed has still is the orginal body, then you still have the following things missing

1. The Original neck. The Frankie's now sporting an EVH Charvel Art Series neck, the original is meant to be in 5150 somewhere (but so are around 10 albums worth of material)

2. The original pick up. Rumoured to have found it's way into the 5150 guitar, then broke one night when a string caught on the whindings.

These are 2 key things which will dramitically reduce the sale value.

WRONG! Busted pickups never stopped EVH before, and which Frankie are we talking about that has an EVH Art Series neck on?

Because I have yet to see the "original" or one close to it photoed with an Art Series neck.

Maybe you're thinking of one of those 5150 Kramer bodies, which is actually more like the paint scheme the RWB-colored Art Series Frankie is based on.

m4dm4x
05-13-2005, 07:33 PM
This one I pick up in the mid 80's from an old stage manager that worked in the business. I keep it locked up!

Don Corleone
05-14-2005, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by GAR
WRONG! Busted pickups never stopped EVH before, and which Frankie are we talking about that has an EVH Art Series neck on?

Gar we could spend the next 3 weeks disagreeing and trading EVH stories on this, as there are that bloody many about what happened to the Frankie (the one about the pickup was an EVH comment from a guitar mag circa 1990). The original pick up was meant to at one time found its way into the Bumble Bee guitar for a few shows.

As for which Frankie we are talking about, it would be what appears to be the 80 - 83 Frankie that now has the Charvel neck.

GAR
05-14-2005, 04:51 PM
Yeah but which neck?

That body's had like 5 necks on it that I've seen in pics over the years.

Charvel pre-CBS style
Charvel Explorer
Ibanez CBS style
Kramer pointy
Kramer hockey-stick

Soul Reaper
05-14-2005, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by m4dm4x
This one I pick up in the mid 80's from an old stage manager that worked in the business. I keep it locked up!

nice!

are you sure that's EVH's actual guitar?

or am I mistaking it for a copy?

Don Corleone
05-14-2005, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by GAR
Yeah but which neck?

That body's had like 5 necks on it that I've seen in pics over the years.

What it's got at the minute is the Charvel EVH Art Series style (the smaller Strat Style header stock).

http://www.charvel.com/models/evh/red_white_black.php

The links one of there production runs, but it gives you an idea. But I know exactly what your saying and I totally agree with you.

Don Corleone
05-14-2005, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Soul Reaper
nice!

are you sure that's EVH's actual guitar?

or am I mistaking it for a copy?

It's a replica.

m4dm4x
05-14-2005, 05:53 PM
Yes, Don's right it a replica made years ago and done to tee for a very respected stage manager. The thing weights a bit and the neck is a Charvel strat head. The guitar does have a clear-coat on it unlike any of the guitars that EVH made. By the way Don I like the one that guy made for you it looks great and how does it sound?

Soul Reaper
05-15-2005, 07:38 AM
i thought it might be real because you got it from a stage manager in the 'business', so I thought he might know EVH.

Panamark
05-16-2005, 06:34 AM
Didnt Ed say it was worth $200 ?

Frankenstraat
05-16-2005, 07:20 AM
Hey, I know that guitar, thats Vic G's from EVH.com

GAR
05-16-2005, 04:17 PM

I'd say you picked it up from an old eBay photo.

m4dm4x
05-16-2005, 06:12 PM
Here you are GAR here is 2 of mine and some show passes just to prove it, does this look like an ebay photo. I been in the business for roughly 6 years and have enough shit to fill a garage.

Frankenstraat
05-16-2005, 10:14 PM
Here's some of mine....

GAR
05-16-2005, 11:16 PM
Here you are GAR here is 2 of mine and some show passes just to prove it, does this look like an ebay photo. I been in the business for roughly 6 years and have enough shit to fill a garage.

OH oh oh.. so you got a REAL one off EBAY, one that he played last year!

That's different, I didn't get it except that the ebay photopix logo was in the lower corner. I get it now!

Nitro Express
05-17-2005, 03:08 AM
I still have the Starfleet Project LP I bought in the 80's. On the liner and jacket it has pictures of Brian May, Eddie, and the rest of the guys who played on the album in the studio. Ed has his Frankenstrat and it has some kind of shit neck that looks horrible. It has kind of a Musicman looking headstock and looks like unfinished mahagony. I've never seen pictures of that guitar body with that neck on it anywhere else.

m4dm4x
05-17-2005, 10:01 AM
I use ebay to change the size of my photos I'm to lazy to figure this computer shit out, all my camera takes is these giant pics then I set up an ebay sell page then add pics preview the auction and copy the pics. So you will see that on all my pics if I don't they won't fit on this forum!

guwapo_rocker
05-17-2005, 12:22 PM
Ed sold Val to Mick Mars in 1999 for a case of Merlot.

Bottoms Up
05-28-2005, 03:35 PM
What do you guys think of the Charvel Evhs that came out recently?....i thought about getting one, but wasnt sure if there up to standards...

zeronumber
06-01-2005, 02:26 PM
I'd say making one would cost you around...oh say 600 all together.

350 for a strat, (or Strat like) guitar...

About 80 bucks for one of these bad boys near the bridge:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/products/imagepages/shr-1.shtml

And new nut...Then just give it that classic, 3 tone paint job.

Just sand off the headstock and the body, then paint it with a white bass coat.

Then tape off certain parts where you want stripes, then add a Red coat.

Then by hand(to give it that unique, somewhat half assed trashed look)

Paint the black stripes by hand.

Finally, to even it alll out(though a bit hard to obtain), get a clear coat protectant over it.

Then, wallah, you got your own frankenstien.

BrownSound1
06-01-2005, 05:31 PM
I wouldn't put a Hotrails in an EVH guitar.

zeronumber
06-01-2005, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by BrownSound1
I wouldn't put a Hotrails in an EVH guitar.

Well, in the long run it's all about prefrence...
Frankly, I like things with extreme amounts of output, with very little feedback... and hot rails for me does the job.

The standard Stock pickups on strats suck... I would put the tone nob on bridge pickup, and I'd hear more static when I kick in some distortion/overdrive, then I do notes.

ONe could just kick the tone nob up, but then the sound gets more mellow, and you lose some of the crunch you would normally get.

And like Captain Charisma would say "That's not how I roll baby boy"...
*slaps chest and points to peep*

Cathedral
06-02-2005, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
I still have the Starfleet Project LP I bought in the 80's. On the liner and jacket it has pictures of Brian May, Eddie, and the rest of the guys who played on the album in the studio. Ed has his Frankenstrat and it has some kind of shit neck that looks horrible. It has kind of a Musicman looking headstock and looks like unfinished mahagony. I've never seen pictures of that guitar body with that neck on it anywhere else.

I have that record also, he threw a rosewood neck on it for some reason and it looks like shit with it.

I dig the part where he breaks the string, lol, it was priceless.

But they all had a great time..........

Dave's Bitch
06-02-2005, 08:46 AM

i love that guitar its so cool

darkknight
06-20-2005, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral
I have that record also, he threw a rosewood neck on it for some reason and it looks like shit with it.

I dig the part where he breaks the string, lol, it was priceless.

But they all had a great time..........

That's an old Danelectro neck he had on there.

Ed painted the black and white guitar red in 79. The last time I'm aware of him playing it live is the US festival. For the 1984 tour he played his Kramer 5150. He still has the original and used it in a video for OU812, I believe. It has a Kramer hockey stick neck on it now. The one with the Charvel Strat neck is the 5150 guitar. The original neck on that one broke the headstock and he had a 7th tuner put on it on the other side so it wouldn't stress the repair. Here's a bad picture of before he put the Charvel neck on. It's hard to see but you can see the 7th tuner.