PDA

View Full Version : Rocker compares himself to Aaron, Robinson

Bob_R
05-12-2005, 12:05 PM
Former major league relief pitcher John Rocker is struggling in the minors, and he recently told ESPN that he compares himself to Hank Aaron and the late Jackie Robinson in his struggle to win over fans.

Rocker is currently pitching for the Atlantic League's Long Island Ducks and has an 0-2 record and a 15.43 ERA in four appearances.

John Rocker (49) is taken out of the game after giving up two runs, two hits and two walks in Atlantic City, N.J., on May 3. Rocker then had a testy verbal exchange with a fan as he walked off the field. (The Press of Atlantic City, Ben Fogletto / Associated Press)

The veteran left-hander is still bothered by criticism that has followed him after he made disparaging remarks about gays and minorities in a 1999 Sports Illustrated story.

"I've taken a lot of crap from a lot of people," Rocker told ESPN. "Probably more than anybody in the history of this sport. I know Hank and Jackie took a good deal of crap, but I guarantee it wasn't for six years. I just keep thinking: How much am I supposed to take?"

Aaron and Robinson, two all-time greats, who had to endure racist taunts and death threats during their Hall of Fame careers.

Robinson broke baseball's color barrier in 1947, when he became the first black player to play in a big-league game for the Brooklyn Dodgers. Aaron, on the other hand, received racist hate mail and endured death threats before he broke Babe Ruth's career home run mark of 714 in 1974. Aaron, who retired in 1976 with 755 homers, still heads the all-time list.

As for Rocker, he has 88 saves in six major-league seasons with the Atlanta Braves, Cleveland Indians, Texas Rangers and Tampa Bay Devil Rays. He had surgery for a torn rotator cuff in 2003 and did not pitch again until he signed with the Ducks this spring.

And recently, Rocker had a testy exchange with a fan May 3 as he walked off the field after another disappointing performance.

The 30-year-old lefty gave up two runs, two hits and two walks in one-third of an inning on the mound in Long Island's 2-1 loss to the Atlantic City Surf in the second game of a doubleheader.

As Rocker left the field, Dave Macken of Atlantic City, a Surf fan sitting near the visitors dugout, yelled, "It's a long way from Atlanta."

Rocker replied, "I'm still a millionaire" and followed with profanity, Macken told The Press of Atlantic City. Macken said the two then exchanged profanities.

Rocker recalled the exchange differently. "Call me what you want, but don't start cussing at me like that," he was quoted as telling the paper. "That's just wrong."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

blueturk
05-13-2005, 08:15 PM
John Rocker is a fucking idiot.

Bob_R
05-13-2005, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by blueturk
John Rocker is a fucking idiot.

Right on! ** thumbs up **

POJO_Risin
05-13-2005, 08:22 PM
This guy lives in a fucking wonderland...

I can't wait for something to happen...and it will...what a fucking idiot...

DLR82VH
05-14-2005, 03:37 AM
He'll never pitch in the majors again.

POJO_Risin
05-14-2005, 08:46 AM
DLR...he's a big, hard-throwing LEFTY...with that...you never say never...

if he pitches good for a couple of months...and it gets to the stretch run...I could see a team taking a flier on him...

We'll see what happens once he...if he shakes the rust off...