PDA

View Full Version : Paterno pulls head out of his ass...

POJO_Risin
05-13-2005, 07:29 PM
Still may be insane though...

He offers accountability without talking retirementESPN.com news services

PITTSBURGH -- Joe Paterno knows what he needs to do at Penn State this season.

"If we don't win some games, I've got to get my rear end out of here," Paterno told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and other media outlets at a fund-raiser Thursday. "Simple as that."

As Paterno prepares for his 40th season as Penn State head coach, he expects to end a skid of four losing seasons in five years, including a 7-16 record over the last two seasons.

"And we went out and had a heck of a good year recruiting, and we're in the process of having another big year recruiting," Paterno told the paper. "And I think we should be able to win a lot more games than we've done. If we don't, then I think everybody steps back and says, 'Hey, we're on the wrong track. Paterno's wrong.' "

The coach wants to solidify his legacy.

"I'd love to leave it having five undefeated teams in five decades," Paterno told the Post-Gazette. "And I think we can do it. I think we can be in the national championship picture in a year or two."

Paterno also commented on the university's court fight to keep his salary private.

"I'd be happy to give [the newspaper] my salary. I think everybody would really be surprised what I'm making," Paterno said. "I mean that. Compared to what people are making today. ... I have no problem with that."

The State Employees' Retirement System board ruled last year that the salaries of Paterno and three other officials are public record after a right-to-know request from The Patriot-News of Harrisburg, Pa.. The university is fighting the salary releases in court.

"I think the university has a principle," Paterno said. "They don't want to release salaries because they don't want to get into a game where one guy who's teaching philosophy is making this, and some guy that's teaching mathematics is making this, and they're constantly defending [what they do]."

Do you like that caveat...we can be in the national title picture in a year or 2...christ...he's never going to fucking leave...

Brett
05-13-2005, 07:54 PM
He needs to fucking retire already, he's already driven that storied program into the toilet far enough. Not even one pick in the entire NFL draft. What the fuck does that tell you?

Shit even USC's 2nd string QB who threw 30 passes in 4 years got drafted!

POJO_Risin
05-13-2005, 08:07 PM
No shit bro...no shit...

on this we agree on...he can't recruit...doesn't even coach anymore...gives all the power to his assistants...

christ...it's not like PSU can't go out and nab a quality coach...but year after year...this storied program throws it out to it's old, decrepit bull...who's been castrated...had it's eyes poked out...and is missing a leg...

DLR82VH
05-14-2005, 03:41 AM
Eh I don't see it getting any better anytime soon. National Championship picture in a couple years my ass!!!!

POJO_Risin
05-14-2005, 08:52 AM
He's got some great recruits this year...great quality...but...minus his top three or four...which I think were all in the top 100...and 3 in the top 50...(funny...that used to be commonplace at Penn State, now it's celebrated as a miracle)...but...the key to most great teams aren't the top 100 players they sign...but the depth...and this recruiting trip brought them none...and actually dropped their recruiting ranking to the bottom of the top 25...

No way PSU is in the national title chase in a year or two...there are going to be to many GREAT teams in the Big 11 for that to happen...