• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DrMaddVibe
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Jan 2004

Newsweek Pulls A Rather!

By DINO HAZELL, Associated Press

NEW YORK - In an apology to readers this week, Newsweek acknowledged errors in a story alleging U.S. interrogators at Guantanamo Bay desecrated the Quran. The accusations, which the magazine vowed to re-examine, spawned protests in
    Afghanistan that left 15 dead and scores injured.
    ADVERTISEMENT

Responding to harsh criticism from Muslim leaders worldwide, the
    Pentagon promised to investigate the charges and pinned the deadly clashes on Newsweek for what it described as "irresponsible" reporting.

"We regret that we got any part of our story wrong, and extend our sympathies to victims of the violence and to the U.S. soldiers caught in its midst," Editor Mark Whitaker wrote in the apology.

Newsweek reported that U.S. military investigators had found evidence that interrogators placed copies of Islam's holy book in washrooms and had flushed one down the toilet to get inmates to talk.

Whitaker wrote that the magazine's information came from "a knowledgeable U.S. government source," and writers Michael Isikoff and John Barry had sought comment from two Defense Department officials. One declined to respond, and the other challenged another part of the story but did not dispute the Quran charge, Whitaker said.

But on Friday, a top Pentagon spokesman told the magazine that a review of the military's investigation concluded "it was never meant to look into charges of Quran desecration. The spokesman also said the Pentagon had investigated other desecration charges by detainees and found them 'not credible.'"

Whitaker added that the magazine's original source later said he could not be sure he read about the alleged Quran incident in the report Newsweek cited, and that it might have been in another document.

"Top administration officials have promised to continue looking into the charges, and so will we," Whitaker wrote.

Newsweek Washington Bureau Chief Daniel Klaidman said the magazine believes it erred in reporting the allegation that a prison guard tried to flush the Quran down a toilet and that military investigators had confirmed the accusation.

"The issue here is to get the truth out, to acknowledge as quickly as possible what happened, and that's what we're trying to do," Klaidman told the "CBS Evening News" on Sunday.

Many of the 520 inmates at Guantanamo are Muslims arrested during the U.S.-led war against the Taliban and its al-Qaida allies in Afghanistan.

In a statement, Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman said the original story was "demonstrably false" and "irresponsible," and "had significant consequences that reverberated throughout Muslim communities around the world."

"Newsweek hid behind anonymous sources, which by their own admission do not withstand scrutiny," Whitman said. "Unfortunately, they cannot retract the damage they have done to this nation or those that were viciously attacked by those false allegations."

After Newsweek published the story, demonstrations spread across Afghanistan and Muslims around the world decried the alleged desecration.

In Afghanistan, Islamic scholars and tribal elders called for the punishment of anyone found to have abused the Quran, said Maulawi Abdul Wali Arshad, head of the religious affairs department in Badakhshan province.

Arshad and the provincial police chief said the scholars met in Faizabad, 310 miles northeast of the capital, Kabul, and demanded a "reaction" from U.S. authorities within three days.

Lebanon's most senior Shiite Muslim cleric on Sunday said the reported desecration of the Quran is part of an American campaign aimed at disrespecting and smearing Islam.

In a statement faxed to The Associated Press, Grand Ayatollah Mohammed Hussein Fadlallah called the alleged desecration a "brutal" form of torture and urged Muslims and international human rights organizations "to raise their voices loudly against the American behavior."

On Saturday, Pakistan's President Gen. Pervez Musharraf and Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz, both allies of Washington, demanded an investigation and punishment for those behind the reported desecration of the Quran.

The story also sparked protests in Pakistan, Yemen and the
    Gaza Strip. The 22-nation Arab League issued a statement saying if the allegations panned out, Washington should apologize to Muslims.

National Security Adviser
    Stephen Hadley said in an interview for CNN's "Late Edition" that the allegations were being investigated "vigorously."

"If it turns out to be true, obviously we will take action against those responsible," he said.

Associated Press Writer Stephen Graham contributed to this report from Kabul, Afghanistan.

What's the death toll from this? I think 15-16 people confirmed dead due to rioting! WTG!

Their blind hatred and rush to a story yet again rips the veil ot journalism apart and exposes the frauds for what they are!
    http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...auders1zl5.gif
    http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...willywonka.gif
  • BigBadBrian
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

I wonder how many Americans this liberal rag is going to kill because of this inaccurate, American-bashing story.
    “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
      ROTH ARMY ELITE
      • Jan 2004

BBB, not to mention the innuendo that they'll be spewing!

Talk about gutless writing. Just because somebody doesn't comment on a portion of a story doesn't make it factual or real! All basic forms of journalism are being thrown out the window.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Nov 2004

I used to be a Newsweek subscriber back when I was a student in the end of the 80s, beginning of the 90s. I liked reading their columns.

Sure it's a huge, serious mistake they've made. But I'd blame the whole media for that (Newsweek on top, OK). What wouldn't they ALL do so as to boost sales?
        Facts show that professional ethics are but a doormat many journalists "dutifully" sweep their feet on...
        posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
        posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

That's piss poor! Whatever happened to basic fact-checking? Oh yeah, it gets in the way of the big "scoop."

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
            That's piss poor! Whatever happened to basic fact-checking? Oh yeah, it gets in the way of the big "scoop."
            I had believed that Newsweek was reliable so far. I've dedicated most of my reading to satyric papers for years now. What are the best American underground newspapers?
            Here we have 2 vitriolic weekly mags, "Le Canard Enchaîné" (the chained duck ) and my fav, Charlie Hebdo. They both are real fun but serious at the same time. They're free from the received speech and reveal the naked truth. We know it is, because they are rarely sued.
            posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
            posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
              That's piss poor! Whatever happened to basic fact-checking?
              It disappeared once the media became corporate whores.

The only reason NewsWeak retracted this story was because the BCE ordered them to do so.
              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD

The only reason NewsWeak retracted this story was because the BCE ordered them to do so.
                Uh huh.

I guess the fact that the story wasn't true had nothing to do with it.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

There never has been such a thing as unbiased news. I had a job where I had to do a lot of international traveling and it's amazing to see how local news has it's own take on international events.

You can say Newsweek started the casba rocking but hey, those Muslims were just looking for an excuse to do what they wanted to do to begin with. If a little news snippet in one magazine can make that many people go completely ape shit then you know they were primed and ready before they hear what Newsweek had to say.
                  No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                    There never has been such a thing as unbiased news. I had a job where I had to do a lot of international traveling and it's amazing to see how local news has it's own take on international events.

You can say Newsweek started the casba rocking but hey, those Muslims were just looking for an excuse to do what they wanted to do to begin with. If a little news snippet in one magazine can make that many people go completely ape shit then you know they were primed and ready before they hear what Newsweek had to say.
                    True enough.

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Jan 2004

Gen. Myers: Detainee Flushed Koran Pages

Newsweek magazine's decision to apologize on Sunday for reporting last week that U.S. interrogators at Guantanamo Bay had flushed a copy of the Koran down the toilet wasn't the first hint that the story that has outraged Muslims worldwide may not be true.

On Thursday, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs Gen. Richard Myers told reporters that the only evidence of any Koran desecration unearthed so far was a log notation describing a Muslim prisoner tossing pages from his holy book into the toilet.

"A detainee was reported by a guard to be ripping pages out of a Koran and putting them in a toilet to stop it up as a protest," Gen. Myers said, in quotes picked up by the Washington Times. "But not where the U.S. did it."

The top military man said that a review of interrogation logs offers no evidence "that there was ever the case of the toilet incident" as reported by Newsweek.

The magazine's misreport prompted anti-American riots in Afghanistan that have so far resulted in the deaths of 17 people - not to mention demands for an apology from President Bush.

Muslim clerics in the Middle East have yet to comment on Gen. Myers' revelation that it was likely one of their own who treated the Koran like toilet paper.

The plot thickens!

Comment

• McCarrens
                        Foot Soldier
                        • May 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                        It disappeared once the media became corporate whores.

You don't live in the same reality the rest of us do, do you?
                        "The security around the hotel was ridiculous. This chick was pounding and screaming at my door until four or five in the morning....finally I said fuck it, and let her out of the room"

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
                          ROTH ARMY ELITE
                          • Jan 2004

Source: Reuters
                          By Steve Holland

WASHINGTON, May 16 (Reuters) - The White House said on Monday an inaccurate Newsweek report based on an anonymous source had damaged the U.S. image overseas by claiming U.S. interrogators desecrated the Koran at Guantanamo Bay.

At the same time, the Pentagon said an investigation remained open into allegations contained in Newsweek's May 9 report that triggered several days of rioting in Afghanistan and other countries in which at least 16 people were killed.

Newsweek editor Mark Whitaker apologized to the victims on Sunday and said the magazine inaccurately reported that U.S. military investigators had confirmed personnel at the detention facility in Cuba had flushed the Muslim holy book down the toilet.

"It's puzzling that while Newsweek now acknowledges that they got the facts wrong, they refused to retract the story," White House spokesman Scott McClellan said. "I think there's a certain journalistic standard that should be met and in this instance it was not."

"The report has had serious consequences," McClellan said. "People have lost their lives. The image of the United States abroad has been damaged."

"It has certainly caused damage to the credibility of the media as well, and Newsweek itself," he added later.

The U.S. image had already been tarnished in many parts of the Arab world, and Washington has labored to rebuild trust among Muslims following last year's disclosures that U.S. guards at Baghdad's Abu Ghraib prison physically and sexually abused Iraqi prisoners.

The report sparked violent protests across the Muslim world -- from Afghanistan, where 16 were killed and more than 100 injured, to Pakistan, Indonesia and Gaza. In the past week the reported desecration was condemned in Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Bangladesh, Malaysia and by the Arab League.

U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, returning from a trip to Iraq, said, "I do think it's done a lot of harm."

Muslims in Afghanistan were skeptical about the turnaround on Monday.

"We will not be deceived by this," Islamic cleric Mullah Sadullah Abu Aman told Reuters. "It comes because of American pressure." Aman was the leader of a group of clerics who vowed to call for a holy war against the United States.

Afghan President Hamid Karzai, a close U.S. ally, said the report had caused a public outcry that enabled enemies to orchestrate violence. He was displeased with the magazine's acknowledgment of error, his spokesman said.

Newsweek said in its May 23 edition that the information had come from a "knowledgeable government source" who said a military report on abuse at Guantanamo Bay found interrogators flushed at least one copy of the Koran down a toilet in a bid to make detainees talk.

But the source later told the magazine he could not be certain he had seen an account of the Koran incident in the military report and that it might have been in other investigative documents or drafts, Newsweek said.

A conservative media watchdog group, Accuracy in Media, said in a news release that "blood is on the hands of Newsweek magazine" for the story. AIM editor Cliff Kincaid expressed incredulity that "nobody at Newsweek has been fired or even reprimanded."

Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman was asked whether the Pentagon could say definitively that U.S. personnel never threw a Koran in a toilet at Guantanamo.

"You know, I never get into the business of saying never," Whitman said. "What I'm saying is that this allegation that Newsweek made ... about Koran desecration is demonstrably false. And there have thus far been no credible allegations of willful Koran desecration."

The Pentagon made available a January 2003 memo setting out rules for "handling and inspecting of detainee Korans" at Guantanamo. It said U.S. personnel must "ensure that the Koran is not placed in offensive areas such as the floor, near the toilet or sink, near the feet, or dirty/wet areas."

Whitman said, "The unfortunate part about it is you can't go back and undo or retract the damage that they've done not only to this nation but to those who have been attacked, injured and some even killed because of these false allegations."

Jon Summers, the representative in Afghanistan for the San Francisco-based Asia Foundation, said the report exacerbated tensions that already existed.

"There are a whole range of issues and frustrations that build up and then you get a hot-button issue like this as it originally came out and it triggers a response," he said. (Additional reporting by Will Dunham, Paul Eckert, David Morgan and Arshad Mohammed)

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

To be honest, I've read the best stories regarding politics, economics, sports, and culture in general in Playboy. One of the few magazines that hasn't changed. It's still Playboy and that's why Heff still has 80 million subscribers when his major competitor Penthouse went out of business. I used to get Penthouse to masturbate to and read the dirty stories, but when I wanted to think I reached for Playboy. LOL!
                            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                              I used to get Penthouse to masturbate to and read the dirty stories, but when I wanted to think I reached for Playboy. LOL!
                              Smart-style wanking...LOL

Comment

Working...