PDA

View Full Version : Easiest EVH instrumental to play on guitar?

UGS
05-17-2005, 10:05 PM
I thought about putting this in Songs and Albums, but figured there's more guitar players on Gear St.

As incredible as they all are, one of Ed's instrumental songs on the six pack has got to be a bit easier to play than the rest. So what's the easiest of Ed's instrumental songs to play?

I'm going with Little Guitars Intro. It's some pretty simple technique played at a medium pace, as long as you've got the coordination.

BrownSound1
05-17-2005, 10:47 PM
Cathedral, or the Little Guitars intro are the easiest in my opinion.

Seshmeister
05-17-2005, 11:35 PM
316 LOL!

I remember years ago finding it on my bro's CD player when I was staying over and discovering I could learn and play a EVH instrumental by ear in 5 minutes even after a night in the bar.

How the mighty fell...

Cheers!

:gulp:

stringfelowhawk
05-18-2005, 12:11 AM
Probably "Cathedral" IMHO. I've watched the video of him playing that at the US festival and for something that sounds like alot is going on he made look like it was nothin at all. Just a few notes and the volume knob or so it appears. I've never tried to play it. I certainly would not try "Eruption" or "Spanish Fly" first.

Nitro Express
05-18-2005, 01:33 AM
The first EVH song I learned all the way through was Eruption. I don't think I'm the only one who did that. LOL!

Matt White
05-18-2005, 01:37 AM
Cathedral, hands down.

Love that part in the US festival when he fucks it up and looks at the camera like, "FUCK!"

Priceless!:D

Big Fat Sammy
05-19-2005, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by Matt White
Cathedral, hands down.

Love that part in the US festival when he fucks it up and looks at the camera like, "FUCK!"

Watch closely, someone threw something and hit the strings, you can hear it smack...and he gives em a dirty look.

BrownSound1
05-19-2005, 11:57 AM
The only thing really challenging with Cathedral is getting your timing down with the volume swells. Once you do that it's pretty easy.

Spanish Fly..now there's something that gives me trouble to this day. The fast ascending run before the tapping section...I always fuck that up.

Soul Reaper
05-19-2005, 01:01 PM
Eruption is easy for me. It's the only one I've tried

tjvhou812
06-07-2005, 09:40 PM

hollywood5150
06-07-2005, 09:41 PM

academic punk
06-09-2005, 02:31 PM
Tora Tora or the outro (known as "Growth") to "in A Simple Rhyme".

BrownSound1
06-13-2005, 07:02 PM
316 doesn't count...since it was released on a Van Hagar album. :D Actually he did play some of it on the 1984 tour during his solo...so maybe we could qualify it. Funny how Ed tried to make out like he wrote that for his son, when he'd been playing it for almost 10 years before he was born. :D

Terry
06-18-2005, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
Cathedral, hands down.

Probably Cathedral. Getting the sound right is more difficult than actually playing it.

'Nother great part of the US Fest is at the beginning of So This Is Love, during the intro, where it looks like someone threw something at Eddie, and one of his open strings rings out. He gives the crowd that same look he did during Cathedral.