• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alexpgrimes
    Foot Soldier
    • Jan 2004

man says he was fired for drinking Coors

Man Says He Was Fired for Drinking Coors

DENVER - Ross Hopkins still likes to drink Bud, even though he says a brief tryst with a Coors beer cost him his job at a Budweiser distributor.

Hopkins, 41, is suing American Eagle Distributing Co., saying the company wrongly fired him for drinking Coors in a bar two years ago.

"They flat-out told me 'We're putting food on your table so you could put it on theirs?'" he said Tuesday. "I thought I could drink it, no problem."

Hopkins' lawsuit, filed in a Greeley court, seeks unspecified damages for lost wages and benefits. No trial date has been set.

Jeff Bedingfield, an attorney for the distributor, declined to comment, saying: "American Eagle prefers not to try this case in the media."

Colorado law says workers cannot be fired for a legal activity while off duty and away from work. There are exceptions, such as when a worker's actions relate to an occupational requirement or create a conflict of interest.

In a court filing, American Eagle said Hopkins' termination "was necessary to avoid a conflict of interest with his responsibilities to American Eagle and/or the appearance of such a conflict of interest."

Hopkins, who was a warehouse supervisor for the distributor, said he was not wearing a uniform or representing American Eagle when he was at the bar in May 2003 with some co-workers. He said he had ordered a Budweiser but a waitress brought Coors. He decided to drink it because he didn't want to wait.

The son-in-law of the distributor's majority shareholder also was at the bar, and offered twice to buy him a Budweiser, but Hopkins turned it down both times.

He was fired the following Monday.
    If I want any shit out of you, I'll squeeze your head.
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I'm not sure whether a battle against the two shittiest beers on the planet really qualifies as a political topic :confused:
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Coors isn't as bad as Bud is it?

Maybe in America. Europe get's different versions.

Comment

• twonabomber
        formerly F A T
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Coors ain't all it's said to be.
        Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• kentuckyklira
          Veteran
          • Sep 2004

In New York I had some Brooklyn Lager, that was pretty good. Coors and Bud tastes like it´s been through a pig!
          http://images.zeit.de/gesellschaft/z...ie-540x304.jpg

Comment

• 4moreyears
            Commando
            • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
            Coors isn't as bad as Bud is it?

Maybe in America. Europe get's different versions.
            Behind Stroh's Coors is the worse beer ever.

Comment

• Matt White
              • Jun 2004

"man says he was fired for drinking Coors"

Fired seems a bit harsh.

They should have just beaten him. Drinking COORS is almost punishment enough...........................YUCK!

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Coors is even worse than Buttweiper. And the stench coming from their brewery in Golden CO made me wonder if they had dead rotting animal carcasses in that place.

**punts this topic to Nonville**
                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Hardrock69
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Feb 2005

Coors is fucking pisswater.

Comment

• vanzilla
                    Veteran
                    • Jul 2004

Heineken is my favorite beer.

Ed Van Halen got that right.
                    Just because the title "moderator" is under my name doesn't mean I have to be nice to cunts like you. - DLR7884 to FPC

Vanzilla's New "Can't Get This Stuff No More" Video Coming Soon!

Comment

• UGS
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Matt White
                      Drinking COORS is almost punishment enough...........................YUCK!
                      Exactly. . .gross.

Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale. . .brewed two blocks from my place. Excellent. Do you guys get it in the US of A?
                      Keep on Rothing in the Free World

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by UGS
                        Exactly. . .gross.

Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale. . .brewed two blocks from my place. Excellent. Do you guys get it in the US of A?
                        Haven't seen that one down here yet. There's a couple stores here that have a huge selection of imports so I might check that out. Stouts are my favorite brew, but I'll drink a good IPA anytime
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by UGS
                          Exactly. . .gross.

I think we might in this area. I know I hear it advertised, but I get a lot of Canadian radio.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Red Stripe, Spatenbrau, or Becks would be worth getting fired for.
                            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

Working...