PDA

View Full Version : man says he was fired for drinking Coors

alexpgrimes
05-18-2005, 09:57 AM
Man Says He Was Fired for Drinking Coors

DENVER - Ross Hopkins still likes to drink Bud, even though he says a brief tryst with a Coors beer cost him his job at a Budweiser distributor.

Hopkins, 41, is suing American Eagle Distributing Co., saying the company wrongly fired him for drinking Coors in a bar two years ago.

"They flat-out told me 'We're putting food on your table so you could put it on theirs?'" he said Tuesday. "I thought I could drink it, no problem."

Hopkins' lawsuit, filed in a Greeley court, seeks unspecified damages for lost wages and benefits. No trial date has been set.

Jeff Bedingfield, an attorney for the distributor, declined to comment, saying: "American Eagle prefers not to try this case in the media."

Colorado law says workers cannot be fired for a legal activity while off duty and away from work. There are exceptions, such as when a worker's actions relate to an occupational requirement or create a conflict of interest.

In a court filing, American Eagle said Hopkins' termination "was necessary to avoid a conflict of interest with his responsibilities to American Eagle and/or the appearance of such a conflict of interest."

Hopkins, who was a warehouse supervisor for the distributor, said he was not wearing a uniform or representing American Eagle when he was at the bar in May 2003 with some co-workers. He said he had ordered a Budweiser but a waitress brought Coors. He decided to drink it because he didn't want to wait.

The son-in-law of the distributor's majority shareholder also was at the bar, and offered twice to buy him a Budweiser, but Hopkins turned it down both times.

He was fired the following Monday.

FORD
05-18-2005, 09:59 AM
I'm not sure whether a battle against the two shittiest beers on the planet really qualifies as a political topic :confused:

Seshmeister
05-18-2005, 10:21 AM
Coors isn't as bad as Bud is it?

Maybe in America. Europe get's different versions.

twonabomber
05-18-2005, 10:22 AM
Coors ain't all it's said to be.

kentuckyklira
05-18-2005, 10:24 AM
In New York I had some Brooklyn Lager, that was pretty good. Coors and Bud tastes like itīs been through a pig!

4moreyears
05-18-2005, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
Coors isn't as bad as Bud is it?

Maybe in America. Europe get's different versions.

Behind Stroh's Coors is the worse beer ever.

Matt White
05-18-2005, 10:28 AM
"man says he was fired for drinking Coors"

Fired seems a bit harsh.

They should have just beaten him. Drinking COORS is almost punishment enough...........................YUCK!

FORD
05-18-2005, 10:33 AM
Coors is even worse than Buttweiper. And the stench coming from their brewery in Golden CO made me wonder if they had dead rotting animal carcasses in that place.

**punts this topic to Nonville**

Hardrock69
05-18-2005, 11:38 AM
Coors is fucking pisswater.

vanzilla
05-18-2005, 11:40 AM
Heineken is my favorite beer.

Ed Van Halen got that right.

UGS
05-18-2005, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
Drinking COORS is almost punishment enough...........................YUCK!

Exactly. . .gross.

Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale. . .brewed two blocks from my place. Excellent. Do you guys get it in the US of A?

FORD
05-18-2005, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by UGS
Exactly. . .gross.

Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale. . .brewed two blocks from my place. Excellent. Do you guys get it in the US of A?

Haven't seen that one down here yet. There's a couple stores here that have a huge selection of imports so I might check that out. Stouts are my favorite brew, but I'll drink a good IPA anytime :gulp:

Nickdfresh
05-18-2005, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by UGS
Exactly. . .gross.

I think we might in this area. I know I hear it advertised, but I get a lot of Canadian radio.

Nitro Express
05-19-2005, 04:47 PM
Red Stripe, Spatenbrau, or Becks would be worth getting fired for.