PDA

View Full Version : Reggie Miller

POJO_Risin
05-19-2005, 10:51 PM
Standing O...

and Larry Brown...in a classy move...calls a 20 second timeout...and brings the Pistons out on the floor to lead the standing Ovation...AFTER Carlisle calls a time out...

I'm not a Miller fan...but another nail in the coffin to the old days...

ALinChainz
05-20-2005, 11:30 AM
Not a huge Miller fan either. But I applaud his effort in his final game.

And it was a clas move by Brown, I agree.

He was asked in his press conference after the game why if he had such a strong game, would he reconsider retiring.

He said, "Take a look at games 4 and 5".

Va Beach VH Fan
05-20-2005, 08:27 PM
2nd best clutch shooter of all time....

POJO_Risin
05-20-2005, 08:34 PM
Interesting though...

good to see the Detroit/Indy crap kind of come full circle...

from the brawl...to the standing O...

Artest probably would have tackled Reggie...for taking his Pub...

POJO_Risin
05-20-2005, 08:35 PM
2nd Best?

Next to who?

Bird?

Va Beach VH Fan
05-20-2005, 08:42 PM
M.J.

Bird is a close 3rd...

ALinChainz
05-20-2005, 11:21 PM
Damn, but I almost think I would have Bird second.

What a choice, after what Reggie did to the Knicks.

But damn ... Bird ...

Va Beach VH Fan
05-21-2005, 08:02 AM
In my mind, it could just be that Bird didn't have SO many last-second opportunities like Reggie did....

ALinChainz
05-21-2005, 11:19 AM
I agree with that ... I guess I was going with he had been in more NBA Finals games.

POJO_Risin
05-21-2005, 04:14 PM
I would be willing to bet that Bird had as many or MORE BIG 3rd and 4th quarters than Reggie Miller...

are you talking buzzer beater clutch VA?

or are you talking clutch fourth quarter shooting period...

Bird murdered teams in the fourth...

not saying Miller didn't...

but I think most of the games Bird did it in were worth more than many of Millers...

I'd go Jordan 1 for sure...

Bird 2 for sure...

and maybe Miller...although I'd need to ponder more...I'm sure we are fogetting some folk...

Warham
05-21-2005, 04:19 PM
Bird could tell people he was going to make the shot right in front of the defender's face and do it time and time again. He was the biggest trash talker ever, and he backed it up every time.

Reggie Miller is a career 21 ppg scorer. A 2nd tier player in the upper echelon.

POJO_Risin
05-21-2005, 04:29 PM
That doesn't make him any less clutch...

you don't have to average 30 a game to be a clutch player...

You just have to be...well...clutch...

you just pay more attention to the big guns...

POJO_Risin
05-21-2005, 04:36 PM
you are 100% correct about Bird though...

I remember KC Jones talking about practice and Bird...that there were days that Jones would give a few players a chance to hit half court shots or further to end practice...

and that 9 times out of 10...Bird would not only make 1...but sometimes up to 10 in a row...

I remember a Jerry Sichting interview from their title run years...and Sichting said he decided to come to the Gym before everyone else one game in the playoffs...it was about 8 hours before gametime at the Garden...he just wanted to get his thoughts together before a game he was starting in...

so he shows up...and most of the lights are off...but he can hear a basketball...so he peeks in...and Bird is standing 3 feet past the half court line...drilling shot after shot...he would shoot to one basket...then to the other off a rack...like it was a three point contest...

said he made 15 of 20...or 16...or some shit like that...

He walked out on the court...and Bird said, "I'm just getting started..."

The guy was an incredible shooter...

He would wake up at 6 AM every day...and shoot 500 shots...eat breakfast...shoot 500 more...eat lunch...shoot 500 more...eat dinner...and generally his mother would have to drag him off the court to goto bed...

took his ball everywhere...and only interupted shooting with fucking games...he lived the game...not to many do that anymore...

Redballjets88
05-21-2005, 04:48 PM
miller is no where near 2nd teir he is probably one of the older players in the league and he still drains threes like no other. probably the best 3 point shooter ever

POJO_Risin
05-21-2005, 04:53 PM
I don't think he's saying 2nd tier...I think he's saying he's a second tier GREAT...which would put him above the actual 2nd tier...

hence the
2nd tier player in the upper echelon

Redballjets88
05-21-2005, 04:56 PM
oh i can agree to that just because he never got a ring and he wasnt dominant

Warham
05-21-2005, 04:57 PM
Yes, that's what I meant...

He's not as good as Jordan, Bird, Johnson, Chamberlain, Jabbar, Malone, etc.

He's more in that David Robinson, Charles Barkley, Patrick Ewing group.

Redballjets88
05-21-2005, 05:02 PM
the people with no championships are kinda in there own group...and even thought robinson got one he had to have tim duncan to get it for him

POJO_Risin
05-21-2005, 05:03 PM
I agree with that 100%...

interesting thought...how many big men are considered clutch?

Redballjets88
05-21-2005, 05:03 PM
where would Hakeem Qlajuawn fall in to ya'll for me he is in that top teir

POJO_Risin
05-21-2005, 05:05 PM
I disagree with that...I don't think you aren't an upper echelon player simply because you didn't win a title...there are players that transcend that...and I think the upper tier players do to some extent...

it certainly doesn't help them though...

Redballjets88
05-21-2005, 05:07 PM
i mean i think charles barkley is badass i love him but people without the ring are just seen different they always talk about it on tv and stuff too how no ring especially in the NBA is a big deal

POJO_Risin
05-21-2005, 05:07 PM
Most certainly top tier...one of the best centers ever IMO...

intimidating defender...couldn't defend him underneath...physical...

decent 5-10 foot jumper...

really...the best center in the 90's...and of his era...no doubt in the top tier...and two titles...although many would say that they are only because Jordan wasn't there...I'd have loved to see those teams go up against Jordans...

Redballjets88
05-21-2005, 05:09 PM
yeah i remember after the rockets two championships they got back to the conferce finals a few more times but ended up falling short and never playing the bulls i always wanted it to happen

Warham
05-21-2005, 05:12 PM
Hakeem in his prime could easily outmaneuver O'Neal or any other center. Definately top tier. The only centers better would be Chamberlain, Russell, Jabbar and maybe Moses Malone. Not sure about that though.

Redballjets88
05-21-2005, 05:13 PM
when houston played orlando in the finals hakeem made shaq look like a monkey

ALinChainz
05-21-2005, 05:30 PM
I thought Akeem was one of the greatest definitely. Especially considering where he came from.

Never played basketball, it was soccer. His freshman season he was a leaping, swatting machine, but couldn't control himself, mucho goal tending calls. Or off the rim, a high rebound and out of nowhere, he comes flying in to dunk the put back, but not realizing that you can't go over other player's backs doing it. Exciting play, but basket no good. Couldn't shoot a free throw, nothing.

Once he put it together though, unstoppable in the paint and on the box. The "shake" fadeaway was awesome. He worked hard at it and was definitely one of the great centers of his era.

Who wasn't a fan of the Phi Slamma Jamma?

POJO_Risin
05-21-2005, 05:33 PM
That's usually my fantasy hoop team name...or my NCAA tourney team name...lmfao...

Moses was the best for a shorter period of time...but he had a few years there...where it wasn't even close...

ALinChainz
05-21-2005, 05:36 PM
Moses was relentless. Smaller by center standards too, but a worker.

Dominant also. Took it too the Celts when the Rockets were either 40-42, or 42-40, can't remember which.

Va Beach VH Fan
05-21-2005, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
are you talking buzzer beater clutch VA?

Yes, I'd clarify that to mean buzzer beater clutch...

POJO_Risin
05-21-2005, 09:00 PM
I didn't mean to throw that out there Va...but it does make a difference...

Moses was incredible...for a few years...

He averaged 21 a game for his career...and 13 boards...

His best year in points was 31...and best year in boards was near 18...

and his numbers would have been HUGE if he would have retired when he should have...after the 91/92 year...when he had an almost full year total of averaging under 7 points and under 5 boards...probably brought him down 2 total points and boards...

Three Lock Rock
05-22-2005, 02:33 AM
well, if it isn't the big fag, fago risin.

your a big fag, I hear. some call you the fagboy. i think your stupid.

fag!

three lock rock (kickin ass and takin names)