PDA

View Full Version : Which Guitar had the first Whammy Bar ??

Panamark
05-23-2005, 03:52 AM
I dont know the answer. But I was wondering which guitar had the
first ever whammy bar fitted ? And who manufactured the system ??
And who was the first famous guitarist to actually use it ???

kentuckyklira
05-23-2005, 04:10 AM
Merle Travis (spelling?) built one in the 1930s.

The Scatologist
05-23-2005, 04:51 AM
That was more of a vibrato bar wasn't it?

The first real whammy bar as we know it today, was built by Leo Fender, on a stratocaster, at the request of some country musician, that I forgot the name of. It's intention was to mimic the pedal steel sounds using a electric guitar. That country musician guy was the first big name to use it too I believe.

Panamark
05-23-2005, 04:57 AM
So big a name, we cant remember him !! Hhehehe

Panamark
05-23-2005, 04:58 AM
Cool that Fender was behind the first real whammy !

Nitro Express
05-23-2005, 12:22 PM
YES, the first tremelo was made for Merle Travis by Mr. Bigbsy who also made a solid body guitar for Merle that was way ahead of it's time. The famouse Bigbsy tremelo or vibrato was a result and they are still being put on guitars to this day. I think people just think they look cool.

Bill Carson was the musician who inspired Leo Fender and Freddy Traveres at Fender to work on a vibrato/tremelo of their own. The result was the famouse Fender Stratocaster tremelo that many players still consider the best for tone.

Nitro Express
05-23-2005, 12:28 PM
Freddy Traveres was the main designer of the Fender tremelo system. He was Hawaiian and was a slide player. He's the guy who played the slide guitar intro to the Looney Toons Cartoons.

Freddy said there was a lot of trial and errot getting that trem right. He said he thought they nailed it by putting a big block of metal under the bridge to help keep the sustain and using pressed saddles for tone.

Many of the world's greatest players still use that trem. My Yngwie Malmsteen signature strat has one that stays in tune great. Oh it will still go a little sharp after a while but it's a simple tweak of the tuning pegs to remedy. It plays great and the bar is so balanced you can't beat it. I play the Floyd on my Wolfgang and it feels really stiff in comparison.

I still like the original Fender trem. It's lasted the test of time. They still will be making the things for years to come for sure.

Nitro Express
05-23-2005, 12:37 PM
Bill Carson is also responsible for inspiring the contoured body on the Stratocaster. Bill complained to Leo Fender that the Telecaster dug into his ribs and was uncomfortable. Leo was not a mucisian himself and was really good at listening to musicians that used his stuff. I think that's what made Fender such a pioneer and why he got so many things right in early designs. Leo also wanted to keep his instruments as affordable as possible without compromising quality.

Fender not only back cut the guitar body but reduced the wood where the picking arm came over the body. He borrowed the horns from the Precission Bass to hel the guitar hang more comfortable and to balance it.

Bill Carson also wanted four pickups for more tones. Leo experimented heavily with pickups and their placement. Leo decided three pickups is what was needed because a fourth didn't make much difference and three simply looked better. Fender experiemented with the flux gap and the windings. Many including me, think he nailed those old pickups. I've tried newer humbucking pickups but they seem to lack the tone the originals had.

What can you say, they got the Stratocaster right to begin with. Other than a five way switch and the shape of the neck, it's still the same today.

kentuckyklira
05-23-2005, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by The Scatologist
That was more of a vibrato bar wasn't it?

The first real whammy bar as we know it today, was built by Leo Fender, on a stratocaster, at the request of some country musician, that I forgot the name of. It's intention was to mimic the pedal steel sounds using a electric guitar. That country musician guy was the first big name to use it too I believe. Bigsby´s were also around before Fender designed his first!

UGS
05-23-2005, 04:28 PM
Technically, a tremelo bar doesn't exist. Tremelo is rapid fluctuation in volume, vibrato is a rapid fluctuation in pitch.

When in doubt, nothing beats calling it a whammy.

I've heard people call it a wang bar. Kinda odd in the context of "I'm going home to play guitar and jerk on my wang bar"

BrownSound1
05-24-2005, 01:56 AM
The Bigsby was the first, and no it didn't stay in tune worth a fuck. Neither did/does the Fender bridge either.

A vibrato is the correct name...some marketing genious mislabled them when they called them tremolos. A Bigsby deserves to be called a whammy bar as much as the next one...it's all the same principle. Push or pull the arm to change the pitch, that's it.

All I have to say is, THANK GOD FOR FLOYD ROSE!!

Panamark
05-24-2005, 02:38 AM
I love my Kahler !!!

Nitro Express
05-24-2005, 03:13 AM
I always liked the look of Bigbsy's but yeah too many friction points to stay in tune well. Yup vibrato is the correct term but Leo Fender used the term tremelo for some reason and it stuck.

Some original Fender whammy bridges stay in tune amazingly well and others don't. I have found using the Fender "bullet" strings help. Also the nut has to be cut correctly and the string retainers can't put too much tension on the strings. You also have to play the whammy bar like it's an instrument in itself, you kind of have to jerk it back to nuetral. It's not really a trem designed to go ape shit wild with. There deffinately is a place for locking trems for sure. I love the Floyd Rose as well, especially an original German made one. Not the Asian shit they are selling now.

Panamark
05-24-2005, 03:51 AM
Man, the kahler is so underrated, I can go ballistic on mine, and the
guitar never goes out of tune. I can dive and pull up.. Makes no
difference... Mine is a mid 80's model. Dunno if they were shit after
that, but I wouldnt swap mine for a Floyd Rose if you paid me..

BrownSound1
05-24-2005, 01:20 PM
I hated Kahlers...just not my cup o' tea. They looked cool as hell though, and had a lot of great ideas, but any of the ones I've ever played weren't quite as stable as a Floyd tuning wise. However, they were loads better than a stock Fender.

Any of you guys remember the Washburn Wonderbar? It didn't have springs like the other vibratos do...it had a torsion bar. Still sucked though.

kentuckyklira
05-24-2005, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
I always liked the look of Bigbsy's but yeah too many friction points to stay in tune well. Yup vibrato is the correct term but Leo Fender used the term tremelo for some reason and it stuck.

Some original Fender whammy bridges stay in tune amazingly well and others don't. I have found using the Fender "bullet" strings help. Also the nut has to be cut correctly and the string retainers can't put too much tension on the strings. You also have to play the whammy bar like it's an instrument in itself, you kind of have to jerk it back to nuetral. It's not really a trem designed to go ape shit wild with. There deffinately is a place for locking trems for sure. I love the Floyd Rose as well, especially an original German made one. Not the Asian shit they are selling now. My Bigsby stays in tune, and so do most of my vintage Strat trems!

kentuckyklira
05-24-2005, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Panamark
Man, the kahler is so underrated, I can go ballistic on mine, and the
guitar never goes out of tune. I can dive and pull up.. Makes no
difference... Mine is a mid 80's model. Dunno if they were shit after
that, but I wouldnt swap mine for a Floyd Rose if you paid me.. I have a couple of guitars equipped with an original Floyd Rose III trem. The best ever!!

The Scatologist
05-24-2005, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by kentuckyklira
Bigsby´s were also around before Fender designed his first!

I already said that's not a whammy bar, it's a vibrato bar.

The Scatologist
05-24-2005, 03:16 PM
and no, a vibrato is not just a freakin change in pitch.

It's more of switching between pitches repeatedly.

UGS
05-24-2005, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by UGS
vibrato is a rapid fluctuation in pitch

BrownSound1
05-24-2005, 05:48 PM
exactly....and yes the Bigsby is a whammy bar.

The Scatologist
05-25-2005, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by UGS
vibrato is a rapid fluctuation in pitch.

Why did you quote yourself like that? Are you trying to disagree with me? Might work better if your information wasn't from some internet sites with false information rofl. I've seen that same description on a lot of sites so I guess that's where you got your info.

A vibrato is NOT a rapid fluctuation in pitch. Why? Well for one thing, theres SLOW vibratos too. Hell, half the time people do vibratoes, it's done real slow.

Also, it's not just ANY kind of fluctuation. If you just say rapid fluctuation, I can just move my hand from the top of the fretboard and down and back repeatedly to call it a vibrato. In most cases, the vibrato pitch flunctuations are less then half a step up.

The Scatologist
05-25-2005, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
Bill Carson is also responsible for inspiring the contoured body on the Stratocaster. Bill complained to Leo Fender that the Telecaster dug into his ribs and was uncomfortable. Leo was not a mucisian himself and was really good at listening to musicians that used his stuff. I think that's what made Fender such a pioneer and why he got so many things right in early designs. Leo also wanted to keep his instruments as affordable as possible without compromising quality.

Fender not only back cut the guitar body but reduced the wood where the picking arm came over the body. He borrowed the horns from the Precission Bass to hel the guitar hang more comfortable and to balance it.

Bill Carson also wanted four pickups for more tones. Leo experimented heavily with pickups and their placement. Leo decided three pickups is what was needed because a fourth didn't make much difference and three simply looked better. Fender experiemented with the flux gap and the windings. Many including me, think he nailed those old pickups. I've tried newer humbucking pickups but they seem to lack the tone the originals had.

What can you say, they got the Stratocaster right to begin with. Other than a five way switch and the shape of the neck, it's still the same today.

This guy takes the cake for trying to sound smart on internet messageboards by googling shit though. Was there really a reason to give us 3 LONG ass posts of rearranged plagiarized material from the net? :D

m4dm4x
05-25-2005, 03:39 PM
Lighten up, Francis

The Scatologist
05-25-2005, 03:43 PM
I am lightened up. I was making fun of them :D

UGS
05-25-2005, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by The Scatologist
Why did you quote yourself like that? Are you trying to disagree with me? Might work better if your information wasn't from some internet sites with false information rofl. I've seen that same description on a lot of sites so I guess that's where you got your info.

A vibrato is NOT a rapid fluctuation in pitch. Why? Well for one thing, theres SLOW vibratos too. Hell, half the time people do vibratoes, it's done real slow.

Also, it's not just ANY kind of fluctuation. If you just say rapid fluctuation, I can just move my hand from the top of the fretboard and down and back repeatedly to call it a vibrato. In most cases, the vibrato pitch flunctuations are less then half a step up.

The reason you've read that description on "a lot of sites" is because it's an accurate description. . .go figure. Regardless, I got that description from just conversing with other guitar players over the years.

The Scatologist
05-25-2005, 09:03 PM
LMAO

Dude you don't know shit shut up.

UGS
05-25-2005, 10:11 PM
:rolleyes: Ok bud.

NATEDOG001976
05-26-2005, 02:19 PM
Poop Skillet

Nitro Express
05-27-2005, 01:54 AM
I didn't Google search, I just got done reading a book on the history of Fender. If the Fender Stratocaster was a topic choice on Jeopardy, I would have probably made some money.

The Scatologist
05-27-2005, 07:31 AM
Oh wow you read a fucking book good for you. Well i've been playing violin since I was 3 and have taken music theory courses now please shut up.

The Scatologist
05-27-2005, 07:34 AM
Oh by the way, I have cookies in Chocalate chip, Peanut Butter, Macadamia Nut White Chocolate Chip, and Candy Beads.

Which one would you like for your last book comment?

Nitro Express
05-27-2005, 02:12 PM
My piano teacher used to give me those metalic stars. I think I deserve a gold one.

The Scatologist
05-27-2005, 02:28 PM
No! You only get this bronze one fool!