PDA

View Full Version : Wolvo Last Night

KISSARMY
03-02-2004, 06:22 AM
WELL HATS OFF TO DIAMOND IT WAS A FANTASTIC SHOW (APART FROM QUIREBOYS) PANAMA BROUGHT A TIER TO MY EYES.
IS IT ME OR WAS THE BASS PLAYER ONCE IN THE GREAT ACE FREHLEY BAND? LETS GET DAVE ON AT DOWNLOAD FESTIVAL.....ROCK AND ROLL ALL NIGHT .AND PARTY EVERY DAY

Seshmeister
03-02-2004, 06:41 PM
OUTSTANDING!

http://www.seshmeister.com/wolves/dlr3.jpg

Seshmeister
03-02-2004, 06:42 PM
Actually that would be a good one for a caption competition!:)

Andrew2112
03-02-2004, 06:52 PM
I was there.......I was disappointed.

I am afraid the great man did not deliver last night.

The sound was the worst I have heard for many years and I couldn't hear what Dave was saying on occasions.

He looked really uncomfortable at times and to me the show was just an attempt at cabaret with an average backing band.

Will still remain a great fan but will not hold fond memories of last night.

inh_james
03-02-2004, 07:53 PM
man your a dick, i was front row centre in london and loved every min.

if u ask 100 ppl what they thought, 1 person wud say bad things because they cant come to terms that he is older adn isnt gonna be liek he was in 1984. It's 20 years since then!

You must be deaf dumb and blind to nto see or hear how good eh is. he is a legend

Panamark
03-02-2004, 07:57 PM
Dont rule out the anon Spamsters who make one post just to try and diss Dave..

Seshmeister
03-02-2004, 08:31 PM
I wish I had taken a picture of the crowd last night as by the end everyone had their hands in the air going mental.

Well everyone apart from Andrew apparently.

I thought the sound was fine, and was louder than at bigger venues which I liked.

Elitest said the sound where she was wasn't too great. Maybe it was just the luck of where you were.

Cheers!

:gulp:

KISSARMY
03-03-2004, 03:55 AM
THATS A BIT SAD TO HEAR MATE ,I WAS STOOD RIGHT BY THE MIXING DESK AND IT SOUNDED FANTASTIC!.
TO BE FAIR THE BACKING BAND WERE GREAT AND I SHUT MY EYES ON MANY OCCATIONS AND IT WAS JUST LIKE THE 70S ALL OVER AGAIN.
THE LEAD GUITAR HAS ONE OF THE HARDEST JOBS IN THE WORLD AND I THOUGHT HE PULLED IT OFF...

edikop
03-03-2004, 04:32 AM
Over the past 10 years since Dave was last in town, I've been going to gigs, concerts & shows seeing every Tom, DICK and Harry Band and after each show - everytime - I've said to myself: 'I want Dave....that band know shit. Only the Diamond One can get me off !'

Well when I saw him again in Glasgow last week....my beliefs were proved correct ! Other bands and singers know shit. Only David Lee Roth knows how to rock a place down. I had a tear in my eye after Jump....I wasn't in floods of tears as I was after the first time I saw him at Donington in '88, but hey, that was 16 summers ago.

Folk that diss Dave just don't get it They might like the tune but they just don't get the talent, the humour, the intelligence, the wit and the God damn work and knowledge that Dave has when putting on a show.

Some folk were surprised by how articulate and world-wise he was about the Biz in his book. True fans weren't. That's the Dave we all know, understand and relate to :) And when it comes to touring..... NOBODY, NOT NO-ONE does it better. He looked good, sang great and played a killer set with a mega-tight band.

Sorry if this is turning into a bit of a rant but of all the things in this world that cheese me off it's folk that diss Dave. He's a legend (as inh_james said), so do as Dave said at Donington in 1988 and, 'GET OFF MY F**KING STAGE, MAN !!'

Eyes of the Night
03-03-2004, 08:53 AM
THE LEAD GUITAR HAS ONE OF THE HARDEST JOBS IN THE WORLD AND I THOUGHT HE PULLED IT OFF... -KissArmy

Wella, that's all *I* needed to know ... Coolness, Young is prob the best cover guitarist Dave has ever had ... which says a lot because it's a rarity to see peeps pull off EVH licks note for note ... for note ...

Andrew2112
03-03-2004, 06:42 PM
Guys i have been to hundreds of gigs and saw the great man at donnington in the 80's and Brum in the 70's. You lot must be easily satisfied. Maybe he put on a great show at other venues but he did not hit the spot at wolverhampton.

Yes i agree all the crowd had their arms in the air for the classics like Jump but they would for such a classic. I stood at the front and moved back to near the sound desk where the sound was marginally better. but overall the sound sucked.

James I am not deaf, dumb or blind and certainly not a dick. Maybe the gig in London was better but the band did not deliver. I was just disappointed but will still always love the music past, present and future that is associated with dave,

So I'm anon spamster am i Panamark. I guess your the anon with a nick like that. If you can't accept someones opinion then thats sad. A forum is to be used to tell it as it is. Were you at wolverhampton...maybe not. If not dont pass comment on what you didnt see.

spangelaregreat
03-06-2004, 07:10 PM
Hi,

I went to the Glasgow show with my wife... it was the 3rd time I had seen Mr Roth (1st time in Edinburgh in 88, currently listening to the Milan bootleg of that show v good, and Glasgow SECC in 91 superb show).

I wasn't that sure what to expect to be honest. Well I would be lying if it was all peaches and cream. It was a bit of a rollercoaster of....man this is rocking to....this is a bit embarrssing.

The lead guitarist dude was very good, pretty much note perfect. The rest of the band were okay.

I felt that Dave did not really connect with the band, it was a bit like he was Chuck Berry using a different house band every night.

Some of his raps were almost a parody of someone trying to be David Lee Roth. It did get better in the second half of the show and I really liked the track he played off his new record.

He is older and does not leap around as much but he is nearly 50!!

I guess it is a personal thing what is great and what is crap. Overall I enjoyed the show as did my wife who had never seen him.

Anyway Dave is introducing the Bissonette Brothers to Milano...gotta go..

Regards

ONEFOX
03-06-2004, 07:15 PM
and lets be fuccking honest....no cunt does it better

Seshmeister
03-06-2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by spangelaregreat
Hi,

I went to the Glasgow show with my wife... it was the 3rd time I had seen Mr Roth (1st time in Edinburgh in 88, currently listening to the Milan bootleg of that show v good, and Glasgow SECC in 91 superb show).

I wasn't that sure what to expect to be honest. Well I would be lying if it was all peaches and cream. It was a bit of a rollercoaster of....man this is rocking to....this is a bit embarrssing.

The lead guitarist dude was very good, pretty much note perfect. The rest of the band were okay.

I felt that Dave did not really connect with the band, it was a bit like he was Chuck Berry using a different house band every night.

Some of his raps were almost a parody of someone trying to be David Lee Roth. It did get better in the second half of the show and I really liked the track he played off his new record.

He is older and does not leap around as much but he is nearly 50!!

I guess it is a personal thing what is great and what is crap. Overall I enjoyed the show as did my wife who had never seen him.

Anyway Dave is introducing the Bissonette Brothers to Milano...gotta go..

Regards

With all due respect I think you need to GROW DOWN!

Dave has changed less than you.

If you go to a gig like that expecting to be transformed into a teenager it isn't gonna happen. Don't blame the band look at yourself.

Daves band play VH stuff 10 times better than Vai et al did in 1988(I was there). Matt Bissonette had taken up playing the bass the week before and had to pretend during Billy Sheehans parts.

In 1991 the set was full of ALAE songs and the guitarist was pretty shit(again I was at that one). It was the first gig of a world tour and plagued with technical difficulties. At one point Dave threw his mike at a roadie because it was the second in a row that hadn't worked.

Don't get me wrong I loved these two gigs but...

You are suffering from false memory syndrome

Basically you blew the gig, not the band.

It's not all bad news since you may have got lucky and obtain a 'get out of jail free card' since they may come back in Autumn. Apparently enough folk got it in London to make it worthwhile.

You need to think about how you are gonna perform next time. Replace taking your wife with taking your pals. Replace a sip of ovaltine before the gig with an all day drinking session.

The way I approached them was like this.

Glasgow Gig Review (http://www.diamonddavidleeroth.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17341)

Wolverhampton Gig Review (http://www.diamonddavidleeroth.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17465)

I realise this post may come across as being arrogant or whatever but I'm honestly trying to help...:)

Cheers!

spangelaregreat
03-06-2004, 10:21 PM
Sesh dude,

If you go to a gig like that expecting to be transformed into a teenager it isn't gonna happen. Don't blame the band look at yourself.

I didn't blame the band it just was there didn't appear to be to much chemistry between them and Dave. I thought they were all pretty good especially the lead guy.

In 1991 the set was full of ALAE songs and the guitarist was pretty shit(again I was at that one). It was the first gig of a world tour and plagued with technical difficulties. At one point Dave threw his mike at a roadie because it was the second in a row that hadn't worked.

Yeah, but it had more atmosphere. I reckon this partly due to the fact I was in the circle. Not by choice I only found out about the show a week before. You were right to say the Dillo is lacking as a rock venue. I probably would have got more out of it had I been in the stalls.

Basically you blew the gig, not the band.

Whatever.....I always liked Dave because he had Charisma, his quotes slagging off other lead singers whose stage chat consisted of "How are you, You Rock" etc etc were spot on. He always knew how to entertain. At this concert he only did this on occaision.

The bit at the start when he simulated the ejaculation with the bottle of JD and called a fan a slag just made him look like a twat.

I would put it down to an off night because having heard his interview on Danny Baker's show he still has the spark thats made him so different over the years but it was lacking at the show.

I still ENJOYED the show and at some points it was excellent but it wasn't consistent. I'm glad you really enjoyed the show and thought it was better than the other two.

You are suffering from false memory syndrome

There is nothing wrong with my memory it just that I think the opposite of you. The other shows were, to me, better.

I would go and see him again but I would make sure it is in the stalls. And I would still take the wife, after all someone has to hold the flask of ovaltine!!

Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive....now who said that...can't remember my false memory syndrome must be kicking in again.

Regards

MAX
03-06-2004, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Panamark
Dont rule out the anon Spamsters who make one post just to try and diss Dave..

That's a big no shit! The fuckers are like telemarketers, the world hates them, they know it and still don't get it!!!

I don't, nor do I know of any 100% Chedd-Chunker forums (I know many will say "the Links" but Roth is very well represented) so they have to come here to shit out of their mouth.

Fucking geeks!!! They are like fat fucking flies. You see, they know that they cannot say anything that will convince the world of Red Chunky's merit in Halen, they know Roth is the shit they buzz all over, watch their kind get consistantly squashed by a flyswatter and still fly around our house. It must really hurt going through life being that big of a dweeb. Why else would they cosistantly beg for such abuse?

spangelaregreat
03-07-2004, 04:54 AM
Thanks for your contribution caller. Your rose tinted devotion is to be commended along with your patented immaturity.

I have to put my hand up and admit to being Sammy Hagar's campaign manager here. I went to all the trouble of going to the 88 and 91 gigs just so that I could come on here and DISS DLR because his continued perfection personified is a threat to the holy one, Mr Red Rocker.

On a less ironic note, I am only giving an HONEST review of what I thought of the show. Perhaps in your rage you failed to notice that I acutally enjoyed the show in general. I just thought it wasn't the best show I have ever been to (that was the Red Hot Chili Peppers at Glasgow Barroland 1991). I still listen to pre 84 VH more than anything else in my CD/MP3 collection that DLR is the best frontman in the business.

Well thats me up to 4 posts on this forum now. How many do I need to post to move away from being a one time spammer and telemarketer, MAX?

I am assuming that you feel that I need to earn my place in the pecking order, to have served my time so to speak.

Anyway it is nice to appreciated.

Regards

robw
03-07-2004, 04:01 PM
I'm with Andrew2112 on this one. I was disappointed with the Wolverhampton gig. This is mainly due to the poor sound. I stood pretty close the the mixing desk and couldn't believe how bad the sound was. I figured the sound guys might sort it out after a couple of numbers but it never improved.

I know sound isn't everything and admit that Dave and the band put a good show on (great lead guitarist) but I just couldn't help leaving a bit disappointed.

Andrew2112
03-07-2004, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the comments robw. I was beginning to think it was just me who felt the sound was bad.

I also agree strongly with previous comments that there was little chemistry between DLR and the band at times.

MAX
03-08-2004, 04:53 AM
Thanks for your contribution caller. Your rose tinted devotion is to be commended along with your patented immaturity.

Let's add this to my "patented immaturity" and juvenile mind. :p

My tribute to you "caller" is this...................

http://www.nachoscantina.com.au/Images%20Big%20Nachos/27.MeltedCheese.JPG

Hey bloke, eat that and smile! :eatit:

Mr Grimsdale
03-08-2004, 08:19 AM

ooh no, you can't get away with criticism here
blind obedience is required