Van Halen (Rumor) good for dave, if he stood up for himself

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mattiew23m

Van Halen (Rumor) good for dave, if he stood up for himself

A friend of mine works for WDHA radio, and told me a rumor that he heard from micheal anthony at the Atlantic City spammy show.. He heard that the reason for the tour delay, and the reason's why the songs took awhile to come out, and to be worked on was because they were waiting to see if Dave wanted to do the cd and tour. I heard that "It's about time" Musically, was written for dave?!?!?! crazy, right?? Dave said he would not tour with sammy, and sammy said he would not tour with dave. Alex was actually happy with the situation, and said something along the lines of, we don't need roth to mess things up.. The idea came from the sam and dave tour. I guess, promoters figured they could do it, since sammy toured with dave.. Ed was up for it.. (suprise) so don't rule out a vh reunion. its alex we have to worry about.. Anyway, dave said no to both ideas. And told ed, or whoever to do it with sammy or me. Alex picked sammy.. And i'm guessing ed might of been out voted.. He was out voted on everything. Alex, and Sam were kinda running the show.. And ed rebelled the entire tour.. During soundcheck ed would play CVH perfectly to piss sam off, and then when the show came on, he royally would screw up every song.. If this rumor is true, maybe its dave's turn, who know's.... But if al, and mike say no.. i dunno if ed will go along with it.. But if its true.. Big props to DLR.. The man could of made a lot of fuckin' money, but he took the high road.. He wants to do it right, and we want to see it right... Who know's if this is true.. On another note of the story.. After mike quickly talking about that, he countinued to mention that he would rather play with sam's band, cause its "on the beach everynight" whatever.... i don't understand why you want to play in a band, that your not really apart of.. Hopefully, they all realize where they fuckin' came from, and what they should be doing!!!! I honestly will say this, it sounds like ed is a drunk, but he sounds like the only one that is ready.. And dave.. =)
    I would love to hear dave sing "Death By Hollywood"
  • Carmine
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Apr 2004

Re: Van Halen (Rumor) good for dave, if he stood up for himself

Originally posted by mattiew23m
    During soundcheck ed would play CVH perfectly to piss sam off, and then when the show came on, he royally would screw up every song..
    This part is particularly interesting to me. Ed did play CVH abit during sound checks during the 04 Tour.

Makes the "meltdown" at the end of the last show in AZ, a bit more relavent too.

Comment

• lafours
      Head Fluffer
      • Apr 2004

it is interesting because I have a soundcheck mp3 of Ed playing "I'm the One" and guess what?....he nails it!!! that is a much more difficult piece that the Van Hagar stuff he was tanking on....

Comment

• bigc
        Head Fluffer
        • Aug 2004

couldnt send me that mp3,could you?hehe

Comment

• academic punk
          Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

Can't imagine Ed intentionally would screw up the show for paying fans. I really honestly can't.

Comment

• Terry
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Wouldn't be suprised if Dave had been approached to do a co-headlining Van Halen tour with Hagar for 2004. That certainly would have generated more excitement than Van Hagar 2004 did. Have a feeling that said arrangement wouldn't have appealed to Roth, though. It would have been as much a tacit admission that he is sharing the Van Halen legacy with Hagar, and Dave doesn't need to do that. Van Halen's status as one of the greatest rock bands was already signed, sealed and delivered before Hagar joined the band. Plus, why split the take with Sam?

Have just as strong a feeling that Van Halen chose to go with Sam because they knew he was gonna go along with whatever was decided without insisting that his input be included. He had already made it clear that he would rejoin the band under whatever circumstances Ed and Al decided, and let them dictate the course of events.

Feel that Ed would still be up for doing something with Dave, but Al is still smarting from all those years of Dave asserting his influence over the band, and knows that Dave isn't gonna change in that respect. Al just doesn't wanna feel like he's under Dave's thumb again.

Disagree that Sam wouldn't have toured with Dave and the rest of Van Halen in 2004. Am sure if Al told Sam that he could either tour with Roth or not at all, Sam would have still went along, whereas Roth likely would have said that if Van Halen wanted to tour it was gonna be with him and only him, take it or leave it.

Who knows what really happened? End result was another missed opportunity and another round of bad decisions from Howdy Doody Mountain.
            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• academic punk
              Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

Originally posted by Terry

Have just as strong a feeling that Van Halen chose to go with Sam because they knew he was gonna go along with whatever was decided without insisting that his input be included. He had already made it clear that he would rejoin the band under whatever circumstances Ed and Al decided, and let them dictate the course of events.

INaccurate on this bit. Sam - being the douchebag that he is - insisted on and got to play a solo section in the show. As if anyone wanted to hear an acoustic, solo "Where Eagles Crap" at a VH gig.

But I'm sure he also was adamant on not performing with Dave, after all the shit he slung in the wake of the 2002 co-headlining gig.

Comment

• mattiew23m

Listen to the 2dorks interview about how ed would play on stage.. he would kinda just noodle, and work on solo's during songs.... I noticed the rest of the band would try to improvise too.. But to play cvh songs at sound check flawless, and then when on stage sound terrible.. hmmmmmmm... and also i heard ed pointed to sam at one show after smashing his guitar saying, "there is your fuckin' king" or "there is your king" somethin like that.... But i would NOT wanna see a sam and dave van halen tour... It would be a mess

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
                  ROTH ARMY ELITE
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by academic punk
                  Can't imagine Ed intentionally would screw up the show for paying fans. I really honestly can't.

Especially when he and his brother said the Dave of 96 wasn't the Dave of '84 during the 96 fiasco.
                  Last edited by ThrillsNSpills; 05-23-2005, 03:12 PM.

Comment

• DUNN28
                    Banned
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by lafours
                    it is interesting because I have a soundcheck mp3 of Ed playing "I'm the One" and guess what?....he nails it!!! that is a much more difficult piece that the Van Hagar stuff he was tanking on....
                    I went to one of those soundchecks (no I am not a sheep) and Eddie slammed down a bottle of wine and was perfect on the classic =VH=
                    I say bring back Dave the time is right I have seen enough Sammy with Van Halen I want the orginal back.
                    Been way to long!!!!!

Comment

• Panamark
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

I remember reading where Ed and Alex would play CVH songs to piss Sammy off, even before they originally split with Sammy.

I LOVE IT
                      BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                      Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Terry
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

All the comments from Mike, Ed and Sam this in year about how Van Hagar wasn't particularly getting along that spectacularly just seem to bolster the notion that CVH might as well have went out last year.

Far as I could tell, the bottom line for Ed and Al going for Sam over Dave in 2004 is that supposedly the sisters and Sam got along a lot better than the band ever did when Dave was in it, the 1996 Hagar split notwithstanding (the worst Ed/Al and Sam have really ever had to say about each other is stuff along the lines of Sam wanting to take time off and Ed and Al forcing a greatest hits release, when you come right down to it).

Seems now even that self-professed chummy bond between Hagar and the brothers isn't all that strong, so why NOT make the extra effort to iron out differences with Dave? Doesn't seem that getting back together with Roth is gonna be any less of a headache than Hagar, far as the Van Halens are concerned.
                        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• academic punk
                          Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

All the comments from Mike, Ed and Sam this in year about how Van Hagar wasn't particularly getting along that spectacularly just seem to bolster the notion that CVH might as well have went out last year.

Far as I could tell, the bottom line for Ed and Al going for Sam over Dave in 2004 is that supposedly the sisters and Sam got along a lot better than the band ever did when Dave was in it, the 1996 Hagar split notwithstanding (the worst Ed/Al and Sam have really ever had to say about each other is stuff along the lines of Sam wanting to take time off and Ed and Al forcing a greatest hits release, when you come right down to it).

Seems now even that self-professed chummy bond between Hagar and the brothers isn't all that strong, so why NOT make the extra effort to iron out differences with Dave? Doesn't seem that getting back together with Roth is gonna be any less of a headache than Hagar, far as the Van Halens are concerned.
                          But here's the thing: Alex HATES Dave. But Alex and Sam are STILL friends. Who knows? At this point, Alex just may be closer to Sam than his own brother. Which isn't to say that Alex doesn't know which is which when it comes to meal tickets, but there ain't no way Dave is going to be able to get past that obstacle...

Comment

• Terry
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by academic punk
                            INaccurate on this bit. Sam - being the douchebag that he is - insisted on and got to play a solo section in the show. As if anyone wanted to hear an acoustic, solo "Where Eagles Crap" at a VH gig.

But I'm sure he also was adamant on not performing with Dave, after all the shit he slung in the wake of the 2002 co-headlining gig.
                            Yeah, but Sam's been doing solo stuff with Van Hagar live for years. Granted, I sure as shit wouldn't want to hear an acoustic solo ANYTHING by Hagar, but am sure in the demented place known as Wally World, the Van Halens thought there would be plenty of audience members who'd dig it. Point taken, though.

Far as not going on the road with Dave, all you gotta do is watch the VH1 Sam and Dave special, where after an hour of bitching about what a dickhead he thinks Roth is, Sam (sitting next to Mike....surprise surprise) says he'd still be willing to do a Halen tour with Dave. The quote that Hagar would sell the property rights to his butthole to get fame wasn't far from the mark.
                            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• academic punk
                              Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

The quote that Hagar would sell the property rights to his butthole to get fame wasn't far from the mark.
                              One of Dave's best put-downs ever. Hilarious, but so off-the-wall that if Sam ever got pissy about it, dave could simply say, "C'mon! I was kidding! Can't you take a joke?"

btw - what's the story w/ Sam trying to start a fight backstage?

Comment

Working...