PDA

View Full Version : Howard Dean on TV

Steve Savicki
05-23-2005, 02:38 PM
http://www.macon.com/mld/macon/news/nation/11712798.htm

(KRT) - He speaks!

Howard Dean, so loquacious as a presidential candidate in 2004, has largely dodged the national limelight as Democratic chairman in 2005. But in his 99th day on the job, the pugilistic darling of the liberal wing finally resurfaced on national TV Sunday - and promptly buttressed his reputation for lobbing rhetorical grenades.

He said that the Hammer will probably wind up in the slammer.

He said that even though the owner of that nickname, House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, has not been charged with any crime in any criminal court.

On NBC's "Meet the Press" Sunday, host Tim Russert asked Dean about a quip he made on May 14, when he told Massachusetts Democrats that DeLay, the powerful Texas Republican who has been rebuked by colleagues for ethics violations, "ought to go back to Houston where he can serve his jail sentence down there." Was it fair, Russert asked, to convict a man who hasn't been charged with anything?

"He hasn't been convicted yet," Dean replied. However, given the fact that DeLay has been formally admonished three times by the House Ethics Committee, and that DeLay is currently under investigation by a Texas district attorney, Dean felt comfortable making a prediction. He said: "There's a reasonable chance (DeLay) could end up in jail."

As a presidential candidate, Dean had said it would be wrong to prejudge the guilt of Osama bin Laden - "I've resisted pronouncing a sentence before guilt is found." Russert wondered Sunday why Dean would want to adopt a looser standard for Tom DeLay. Dean replied: "I don't think I'm prejudging him."

So he won't revisit any of his statements about DeLay?

"Absolutely not."

Clearly, the new job hasn't mellowed the guy. Nor is it likely that his NBC performance will erase the nagging concerns within his party.

Sunday, he undoubtedly delighted his fans, the "Deaniacs" who believe that the Democrats, burdened by defeat, should get feisty and strike with impunity at the ruling Republicans. "I will use whatever position I have to root out hypocrisy," he said.

But Dean's judgment on Tom DeLay also provided fresh ammunition to those in the party who believe that his provocative style is a turnoff in the red states where Democrats need to win converts.

Democrats hungry for a message were probably encouraged by much of Dean's Sunday pitch, because he did sketch a party theme for the 2006 congressional races. Charging the GOP with "abuse of power," he argued that the majority party was running roughshod on all fronts: DeLay's ethics lapses; the Bush administration's refusal to disclose the true spiraling costs of the Medicare prescription drug benefit; giving taxpayer money to journalists in exchange for pro-administration stories; engineering a congressional intervention in the Terri Schiavo case.

As a believer in "message discipline" (his words Sunday), Dean essentially framed the parties this way: The Bush-era Republicans are dishonest and anti-privacy; the Democrats are honest and respect privacy.

"The Schiavo case will probably be the turning point, in our ability to make our case to Americans about the incredible invasiveness of Republicans, when it comes to (citizens) making personal and private decisions," he said. By contrast, the Democrats should be viewed as "the party of individual freedom ... individual and personal responsibility," he said.

One problem, however, is that while Dean may speak officially for the Democratic party, he's only one of many players. Sunday, he struggled to explain why so many Senate Democrats barely raised a whimper when the Schiavo intervention bill was sailing through the chamber.

Dean said: "I can't speak for Democrats in the Senate. We didn't confer. It came up very fast," at a time when Democrats were focused on derailing Bush's Social Security privatization plan.

But now he's fixated on the Schiavo fallout, and he thinks it will play well in places like Arizona, a fast-growing red state with a centrist Democratic governor, the kind of state that Democrats need to win in future presidential elections. He thinks the Schiavo case will hurt the GOP in Arizona, a place where so many conservatives have "a huge ethos about individualism."

However, when he visited Arizona last Wednesday, Democratic Gov. Janet Napolitano was apparently too busy to meet with her national party chairman. Her staff said it was an unavoidable scheduling conflict. That happens a lot with Dean. This year, he has visited seven red states (pro-Bush in 2004) that are governed by Democrats - and, in every case, they have been too busy to appear publicly with him.

Dean's explanation Sunday: "When you go into a state for four or five hours, it's pretty hard for governors to change their schedule," omitting the fact that his itinerary is generally planned with sufficient advance notice.

In all likelihood, these governors were AWOL because there's still a belief that Dean, the New Englander who calls the GOP agenda "evil," is not necessarily the best party messenger.

In a recent conference call between Dean and Southern Democratic donors, one key activist pointedly urged Dean to stay out of his state. The antiwar image still hurts, even though some of Dean's early criticisms of the Iraq conflict have been confirmed by independent commissions; indeed, he contended Sunday that some of President Bush's war rationales have proved to be "flat-out false."

There also is scant evidence that Dean, a pioneer in grassroots democracy, has prompted a flood of grassroots money into party coffers. During the first quarter of 2005, the GOP raised far more money, $32 million to the Democrats' $13 million. Dean said Sunday: "I think that's fine. Republicans have always been better at raising money than we have." But he was hired as chairman to reverse that trend.

It's still early. Dean mentioned his plans to pump money and staff into moribund state parties in Republican regions, with the aim of competing across the map. But his challenge, as always, is to convince skeptics that his contentious straight talk is Trumanesque, and therefore an asset to a party still mired in defeat and in search of inspiration.

Dang - that's alot accomplished in such a short period of time.

geraldcollier
05-23-2005, 02:42 PM
we already have a thread on this

Warham
05-23-2005, 04:09 PM
Dean's still on Terri Schiavo. I think he needs to catch up.

FORD
05-23-2005, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Warham
Dean's still on Terri Schiavo. I think he needs to catch up.

Oh now there's irony.... YOU complaining about Dean being stuck "on" something. :rolleyes:

BigBadBrian
05-23-2005, 05:07 PM
http://www.diamonddavidleeroth.com/forums/images/smilies/aor.gif http://www.diamonddavidleeroth.com/forums/images/smilies/aor.gifhttp://www.diamonddavidleeroth.com/forums/images/smilies/aor.gifhttp://www.diamonddavidleeroth.com/forums/images/smilies/aor.gif

Steve Savicki
05-23-2005, 09:54 PM
Nope, I think Dean's waking the world up.
If there's a dupe thread, feel free to merge this one.

steve
05-23-2005, 11:31 PM
Dean was the wrong man for the job, in my opinion.

they should have given an unknown a shot.

4moreyears
05-24-2005, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by steve

Dean is the best thing the republicans have going for them.

FORD
05-24-2005, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by steve

There weren't any unknowns in the running. Aside from Dean, the other candidates were DLC tools like Roemer and that other asswipe from Texas who had a job with FAUX News the very day he dropped out of the race.

Terry McUseless made a mess of the DNC. Someone has to clean it up, and the party's base overwhelmingly chose Dean.

Warham
05-24-2005, 06:54 AM
The party's base being moveon.org.

diamondD
05-24-2005, 08:05 AM
If this was another subject, it would have been closed yesterday. We need 2 threads that espouse Dean's ignorance?

FORD
05-24-2005, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Warham
The party's base being moveon.org.

No, the party's base being millions of Democrats who are still highly pissed that a dubious candidate was forced on them last year through a deliberately flawed primary system.

4moreyears
05-24-2005, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by FORD
No, the party's base being millions of Democrats who are still highly pissed that a dubious candidate was forced on them last year through a deliberately flawed primary system.

Yes but forced on them by a larger base of Democrats that elected John Kerry to run against President Bush. Or is there some conspiracy in the democratic ranks as well.

FORD
05-24-2005, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by 4moreyears
Yes but forced on them by a larger base of Democrats that elected John Kerry to run against President Bush. Or is there some conspiracy in the democratic ranks as well.

Yes and no. The DLC is supposedly within the Democratic ranks, but in reality they are neocon infiltrators. Some of them (Will Marshall) are even card carrying members of the treasonous PNAC.

The DLC follows the principles of Josef Stalin, namely "the best way to control the opposition is to become the opposition". They also are all for the other Stalinist principle embraced by the GOP "It's not who votes that counts, but who counts the votes"

DrMaddVibe
05-24-2005, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by FORD

Now you know how I felt with Bob Dole!!!!!!!!!

Warham
05-24-2005, 02:09 PM
Hogwash.

Excuses, excuses.

Steve Savicki
05-24-2005, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by diamondD
If this was another subject, it would have been closed yesterday. We need 2 threads that espouse Dean's ignorance?
If this is a dupe threads, feel free to merge it.

FORD
05-24-2005, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
Now you know how I felt with Bob Dole!!!!!!!!!

I half agree with you on that.

Bob Dole was too old for the job, otherwise he would have been a far better candidate than Junior, as McCain was. But the neocons who control the RNC probably didn't really care if Dole won or not. Why should they, when Clinton was already running a moderate Republican agenda?

diamondD
05-24-2005, 09:16 PM
Hey Dave, why isn't this closed yet? Still trying to pass on Dean's brain dead message?

FORD
05-24-2005, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by diamondD
Hey Dave, why isn't this closed yet? Still trying to pass on Dean's brain dead message?

Since Savicki quoted a real newspaper and the other thread quoted NewsHax (which is a fictional right wing tabloid) then the other thread should have been the one closed, technically.

I left them both open because the discussion had already expanded in both threads. A merge would have been a great solution, but unfortunately that component was buggy in this release of the V bulletin software, so it's not enabled. Consequently, that option doesn't exist on this board, and probably won't at least until Sarge returns from Iraq and the software can be updated.

Dr. Love
05-24-2005, 10:43 PM
Closing duplicate thread, quoted article on original thread.

Continue debate here:

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21726&perpage=30&pagenumber=2