PDA

View Full Version : War Of The Worlds Original 1938 Broadcast Here...

Hardrock69
05-25-2005, 03:48 PM
http://sounds.mercurytheatre.info/mercury/381030.mp3

Rikk
05-25-2005, 11:43 PM
Very cool, bro. I always wanted to hear this notorious broadcast.

Hardrock69
05-26-2005, 12:04 AM
Got a tall building you can jump off of when you hear the Martians are invading?
;)

Rikk
05-26-2005, 12:06 AM
LMFAO. I know. How stupid could people really be? The stories of the hysteria that shit caused is hilarious.

Was WELLS still alive when that was broadcast? I would imagine no fucking way.

Hardrock69
05-26-2005, 12:14 AM
Uh dude...he was the one who was the main character in the broadcast and he directed it as well....here is a page with the explanation:

http://www.transparencynow.com/welles.htm

They kinda changed it from the original novel in that they decided to make it sound like a real radio broadcast...thus millions thought they were listening to the real thing....

Anonymous
05-26-2005, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Rikk
Was WELLS still alive when that was broadcast? I would imagine no fucking way.

Welles didn't die until the mid-eighties. He recorded narratives for two Manowar songs - Dark Avenger and Defender - and their intro "Ladies and Gentlemen... from the United States of America... all hail... MANOWAR!"

But he was probably already in a wheelchair, then... or got in a wheelchair righ after...

Cheers! :bottle:

Rikk
05-26-2005, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by Imapus Sylicker
Welles didn't die until the mid-eighties. He recorded narratives for two Manowar songs - Dark Avenger and Defender - and their intro "Ladies and Gentlemen... from the United States of America... all hail... MANOWAR!"

But he was probably already in a wheelchair, then... or got in a wheelchair righ after...

H.G. Wells died in 1946. I just looked it up.

Shit...I thought he died much younger.

I know they fucked it up to make it sound like a real broadcast, but I didn't know he was involved.

Anonymous
05-26-2005, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by Rikk
H.G. Wells died in 1946. I just looked it up.

Shit...I thought he died much younger.

I know they fucked it up to make it sound like a real broadcast, but I didn't know he was involved.

Hahahahaha!!! Not H.G. Wells... ORSON WELLES!

:lol:

Rikk
05-26-2005, 01:10 AM
Shit. I was talking about H.G. WELLS who wrote the original story!!! The idiot who's confused here is HARDROCK!:D I didn't know ORSON WELLES was involved. I know he died in the 80s.:p

Matt White
05-26-2005, 01:17 AM
ORSON WELLES Did the Broadcast back in the 30's. No TV, just radio, caused a sensation, put him on the map.

What a fuckin' genius.

"MORK CALLING ORSON! MORK CALLING ORSON....COME IN ORSON!!!":D

Hardrock69
05-26-2005, 10:31 AM
Yeah true...I thought you was talking about Orson....

My bad! ;)

Cool that H.G. was still around to see what an uproar his story caused!
:cool:

I still see NO VALID REASON for Spielberg to have remade this movie, as the one from 1953 is awesome!

When I saw it for the first time I was only about 6 or 7, and it scared the living shit out of me! I had nightmares for weeks afterwards...

DrMaddVibe
05-26-2005, 10:51 AM
The movie is going to stain Spielberg's reputation.

Cruise is washing out.

DaLeeRo
05-26-2005, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Imapus Sylicker

MANOWAR ROCKS!!!!! Five points to your avatar!!!

HAIL!

Anonymous
05-26-2005, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by DaLeeRo
MANOWAR ROCKS!!!!! Five points to your avatar!!!

HAIL!

You know it, bro... 5 back at'cha!

My father was a wolf
I'm a kinsman of the slain
Sworn to strike again
I will bring salvation
Punishment and pain
The Hammer of Fate is our faith

Power and dominion
Are taken by the will
By divine right HAIL AND KILL!