PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Chance for a Reunion: Live Aid II

Samsonite
05-27-2005, 12:04 AM
http://news.scotsman.com/entertainment.cfm?id=578592005

Stars confirm plans for Live Aid follow-up

MICHAEL BLACKLEY

BOB Geldof and Midge Ure confirmed last night that they are planning a follow-up to Live Aid to coincide with the G8 summit at Gleneagles.

But they insisted that they would not be calling the event Live Aid II. It is believed that they are to have a number of concerts worldwide, rather than one big festival, as was the case with Live Aid.

At yesterday's Ivor Novello awards, the former Ultravox frontman and Thin Lizzy band member, Midge Ure, said: "I can say there's never going to be a Live Aid II, but there's something brewing. It's big and it's as petrifying as the build-up to Live Aid, if not more so. We'll have all the biggest names we can find. But it's not just about big names, it's about making a point."

Ure and the former Boomtown Rats frontman Geldof were at the awards to pick up the prize for best-selling UK single for Do They Know It's Christmas? by Band Aid 20. Among the other celebrities in attendance were the Welsh singer Tom Jones and the former actor and frontman of The Who, Roger Daltrey.

It seems certain that Geldof and Ure will have used the event to try to find candidates to sign up for the charity event. When rumours first spread that the G8 could host a Live Aid-style event, Franz Ferdinand were said to be one of the frontliners to headline the event.

During the ceremony, Geldof also admitted that the concert was likely to go ahead in a few weeks. He said: "Once more into the breach.

"What started 20 years ago is coming to a political point in a few weeks. There's more than a chance that the boys and girls with guitars will finally get to turn the world on its axis and I need you there with us. What we do in the next five weeks is seriously, properly, historically, politically important."

The pair collected an award from Sting, who sang on the original Band Aid record. The singer/songwriter revealed that he will be taking part in the Live Aid follow-up.

"Bob called me up and said I was doing it. He doesn't ask you, he tells you," he said.

It is not yet certain which venues are likely to hold any of the events, although London's Hyde Park has been pinpointed as a favourite, with the likely date being within the first week of July. The G8 aummit will run at Gleneagles Hotel from 6-8 July.

This month, Geldof caused controversy when he confronted Jack McConnell, the First Minister, and called on him to tackle corruption in the African state of Malawi head-on during his visit there.

Mr McConnell had been anticipating that Geldof would boost his own attempts to crusade against poverty, but instead he asked: "How can Scotland, in all conscience, have a relationship with a country that may be corrupt in its political structures?"

Hell...if the Spice Girls can get back together for one show...why can't VH?

Artists that are rumored to appear are Franz Ferdinand, Sting, Elton John, Paul McCartney, Oasis, Spice Girls, Rolling Stones, and many others.

academic punk
05-27-2005, 12:07 AM
Especially since Sam made his debut with Ed at Farm Aid way back when, this would be a nice, subtle retributional kick in the ass at Sammy.

mattiew23m
05-27-2005, 12:21 AM
isn't it all british acts????

Samsonite
05-27-2005, 12:25 AM
One stage is going to be in England, and they are probably going to put one in America somewhere, perhaps Philly. One of the most confirmed people is Eminem...I forgot to say that. So...that leaves it open for American people...

mattiew23m
05-27-2005, 12:27 AM
it would be perfect for a =cvh= comeback.. One thing, its too OBVIOUS for the van halen brothers.. It would be too easy, and the fans would love it.. So, i dunno if it will happen lol

mattiew23m
05-27-2005, 12:28 AM
as soon as there is a live aid site, or some kind of email that we can contact.. I say we send a ton of emails asking them to get CVH

Samsonite
05-27-2005, 12:33 AM
What ever happened to us asking Stern a lot?

mattiew23m
05-27-2005, 01:04 AM
i still want people to, but i dunno if everyone was.. let me bump that thread up

DavidLeeNatra
05-27-2005, 04:48 AM
so now we have the "rock and roll hall of fame", the "superbowl" AND "live aid II" for our rumors and speculations?

;)

Vinnie Velvet
05-27-2005, 12:09 PM
I think if this new Live Aid (or whatever its going to be called) is as big as the original twenty years ago, then yeah, this would be a perfect opportunity for VH to reunite and KICK OFF a World Tour!

Imagine the anticipation!

HELLO (INSERT CITY)....ARE YOU READY TO ROCK!! PLEASE WELCOME BACK, THE MIGHTY VAN HALEN!!!!!!

Then have Ed march into the riff to Unchained or Romeo Delight and have Dave jump off Al's drum riser!

What a sight that would be.

bueno bob
05-27-2005, 01:30 PM
It'd make for a good opportunity. It'd be a very high profile return appearance, no doubt.

Vinnie Velvet
05-27-2005, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
It'd make for a good opportunity. It'd be a very high profile return appearance, no doubt.

Oh for sure.

But considering the time frame, Dave and the band would have to get together very soon to plan for their appearance.

I'd suspect it would be a short set, but electrifying, nonetheless.

I would expect a six song performance:

Unchained
Panama
Runnin With the Devil
Everybody Wants Some!!
Aint Talkin Bout Love
Jump

bueno bob
05-27-2005, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
Oh for sure.

But considering the time frame, Dave and the band would have to get together very soon to plan for their appearance.

I'd suspect it would be a short set, but electrifying, nonetheless.

I would expect a six song performance:

Unchained
Panama
Runnin With the Devil
Everybody Wants Some!!
Aint Talkin Bout Love
Jump

That'd do. The positive spin on that is, with the interest it would generate, it would really pave the way for a REAL reunion tour and so forth...

Man, they should really make the most of this, this could end up paying off big time...management for both parties needs to start making phone calls, this would make up for the 2004 botch.

Vinnie Velvet
05-27-2005, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
That'd do. The positive spin on that is, with the interest it would generate, it would really pave the way for a REAL reunion tour and so forth...

Man, they should really make the most of this, this could end up paying off big time...management for both parties needs to start making phone calls, this would make up for the 2004 botch.

You got it.

Unlikely it would happen though.

Dave is always ready to go.

However, Al would want to know how much money they could make (even if they are playing for a good cause) which would delay things.

Ed would be bitching and moaning about something.

And Mike would still have his dick up Sambo's ass.

Tough call.

Va Beach VH Fan
05-27-2005, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
so now we have the "rock and roll hall of fame", the "superbowl" AND "live aid II" for our rumors and speculations?

;)

And don't forget, the Grammys...

A yearly occurence.... ;)

Rikk
05-27-2005, 06:56 PM
They won't be there. Eddie is too fucked up and VAN HALEN is more of an industry joke than anything. Imagine a drunk Eddie having another onstage temper tantrum and then swearing into his mic on live TV. The man is an embarressment to rock 'n' roll.

NATEDOG001976
05-27-2005, 07:52 PM
We ned to make bumper stickers that say "Sammy sucks, Roth rules"
or something like that.

Samsonite
06-03-2005, 01:19 PM
The website is www.live8live.com (http://www.live8live.com)

Let them know that CVH is wanted!

Wonder Twins
06-03-2005, 10:54 PM
I agree with Mattie way too obvious and way to intelligent choice.

Matt White
06-03-2005, 11:04 PM
If they did though....

The format would probably be like LIVE AID in 1985: 3 songs

UNCHAINED
PANAMA
AIN'T TALKIN' BOUT LOVE

3 PUNCH KNOCK OUT

CLASSIC VAN HALEN STEAL THE SHOW:D

WARF
06-03-2005, 11:12 PM
Imagine everyone waiting for Van Halen to reunite, and Gary gets out on stage!!!

Matt White
06-03-2005, 11:14 PM
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN.............*CHIRP CHIRP CHIRP*

Imagine all the rotten fruit & veggies headed to the stage!

zeronumber
06-03-2005, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by WARF
Imagine everyone waiting for Van Halen to reunite, and Gary gets out on stage!!!

Nah, Gary's busy with other things right now...In true halen fashion, whenever the Brothers are too prideful to even talk to Dave or sam, they through darts blindfolded at a list of names of has beens, past their 15 minutes of fame, to go on tour because they have half way decent singing abilities...

*Dart's thrown*...

And the winner is...Justin Guarini...coming out to play Mean streets no less...

*Hears the crowd chant*

"Fuck Van Hal-en"

WARF
06-03-2005, 11:30 PM
Why don't they just do the US FESTIVAL 2005?!?!?!

zeronumber
06-03-2005, 11:33 PM
As long as it's not at the VMA's...

Any Band that supposedly reunites/comebacks/tours at the VMA's is doomed to failure.

It fucked Van Halen, It fucked the Eurythmics, It fucked GNR, It fucked sam and Dave...

It sort of has this reverse midus touch, anything that goes on there, turns to crap.

Va Beach VH Fan
06-04-2005, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Matt White
If they did though....

The format would probably be like LIVE AID in 1985: 3 songs

UNCHAINED
PANAMA
AIN'T TALKIN' BOUT LOVE

3 PUNCH KNOCK OUT

CLASSIC VAN HALEN STEAL THE SHOW:D

Great pic Matt, brought back the '84 memories on that one....

Va Beach VH Fan
06-04-2005, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by WARF
Why don't they just do the US FESTIVAL 2005?!?!?!

After Rape-Arsonfest '99, er, excuse me, Woodstock '99, you'll probably never see anything close to a US Festival-like setting again...

intruder3906
06-04-2005, 05:30 PM
stop it im gettin excited.....is a perfect cue for the cvh reunion....

POJO_Risin
06-04-2005, 06:31 PM
It's in five places this time...

Hyde Park in London...

Mariah Carey
Coldplay
Dido
Keane
Sir Elton John
Annie Lennox
Madonna
Muse
Razorlight
Scissor Sisters
Sir Paul McCartney
Joss Stone
Stereophonics
Sting
Robbie Williams
U2
REM
Velvet Revolver
Bob Geldof
The Killers
The Cure
Snow Patrol

Velvet Revolver in London...hmmmm...

POJO_Risin
06-04-2005, 06:33 PM
The Eiffel Tower...and for you fucking boneheads...that's in Paris...lmfao...

Eiffel Tower, Paris

Jamiroquai
Craig David
Youssou N'Dour
Yannick Noah
Andrea Bocelli
Calo Gero
Kyo
Placebo
Axelle Red
Johnny Halliday
Manu Chao
Renaud
see map

Yannick Noah?...what's he going to do...play fucking tennis?

noone will be here...lmfao...cept pissed off people that are trying to get up the tower...

POJO_Risin
06-04-2005, 06:34 PM
Brandenburg Gate, Berlin

A-ha
Crosby
Stills and Nash
Brian Wilson
Lauryn Hill
Bap
Die Toten Hosen
Peter Maffay
see map

Crosby and

Stills and Nash are listed seperately...lmfao...

can't wait to see Die Toten Hosen...lmfao...

POJO_Risin
06-04-2005, 06:35 PM
Circus Maximus, Rome

Duran Duran
Faith Hill
Irene Grandi
Jovanotti
Tim McGraw
Nek
Laura Pasini
Vasco Rossi
Zucchero
see map

nothing of note here...you know all those fucking country crooners in fucking Rome...

POJO_Risin
06-04-2005, 06:36 PM
Museum of Art, Philadelphia

Will Smith (host)
Bon Jovi
Maroon 5
P Diddy
Stevie Wonder
Jay-Z
The Dave Matthews Band
Sarah McLachlan
Rob Thomas
Keith Urban
50 Cent
Kaiser Chiefs

Okay...that's fucking painful...look at that fucking lineup...ugh...

I wouldn't want fucking VH playing there with this fucking group of fags...

guwapo_rocker
06-04-2005, 07:55 PM
What a fucking pile of shite!!

Has Geldof taken a bath yet?