PDA

View Full Version : Let Me Set Yo' Asses Straight About The Voting Problems, Kiddies....

Viking
03-03-2004, 01:22 AM
OK, KIDS, gather yo' naive, uninformed little honkey asses around Uncle Viking whilst he exorcises a few of yo' demons of ignorance about the new voting systems.

I just got home from a seventeen hour tour as the computer network technician for Diebold in a county in the state of Georgia which shall remain nameless for the moment. For you conspiracy theorists out thereFORD, the so-called 'suspicious activity' you cited was not - I repeat for the hard of reading, WAS NOT - caused by glitches in the system. It stems from two simple issues:

1) The 'unfamiliar screen' that many poll workers faced was caused by one of two things: either the system was not reset after L&A (logic and accuracy) testing, which is unlikely due to the machine requiring a reset to a zero vote count at the end of the session (and undergoing several subsequent resets); or the fucking poll worker had the wrong goddamned card in the reader at startup. These units run on a pure Windows CE 3.0 platform; they are, essentially, nothing but a big fucking Palm Pilot. If you have the wrong card in the reader (i.e. voting card vs. supervisor's card), of course it's going to present you with different options, the same way you're not going to whip out your food stamp card and try to buy a bottle of Night Train with it. :D Which brings me to my second point, and it's also a problem inherent to rolling out ANY new technology, in any endeavor: THE FUCKING POLL WORKERS ARE 150 YEARS OLD TO BEGIN WITH. Whaddaya gonna do, say, "Sorry, Gertie, you're too 19th century to work a 21st century polling booth?" Let's see how far THAT gets in a Kalifornia kourt. Part of our training touched upon the fact that, (and I paraphrase) by and large, historically, and across the country, poll workers are one of our country's most plentiful natural resources: wizened citizens. Half of 'em can't even get their VCR's to stop blinking '12:00'. :D

2) As far as popping in a voter's card and getting a ballot completely different than what you requested, it again goes back to the poll worker of the artery-hardened persuasion. Poll workers use what are called 'encoders' (those of you that voted know what I'm talking about here). They look like palm-sized pocket calculators, but they have a grooved slot on the underside for inserting the voting card. Now, voting regs vary from state to state, so I'll use Georgia, becuse the principle is the same: there are either two, or three, voting cards. One is marked 'Dem', one is marked 'Rep', and one is marked 'NP' (non-partisan, or some other independent designation). These cards look like credit cards, but instead of a mag stripe on the back, they have a microchip (an 'EEPROM', for you techno-geeks) embedded on the front. Once the card is inserted into the encoder, the poll worker must first erase the EEPROM - contrary to the ignorant assumption by the Fourth Estate's 'experts' that these cards can be used four or five times by a voter of questionable intent (usually a Democrat, as a point of historical fact), they're a one-shot deal. It's been tagged, and the machine will not accept it without being reset. So, Grampa Hatfield follows the display's prompts, and gives it amnesia. Now - and this is where it gets interesting - he has a choice of two (or three) codes to hit when it (the encoder) asks him to reset the card: Democrat, Republican, or I Can't Make Up My Fucking Mind. If a Democrat asks for his party's ballot, etc, and Grandpa punches up the Pubbie code, guess what our Marxist friend is going to see on the touch display: why, yes, boys and girls, George W. Motherfuckin' Bush! The same way you sat in front of your living room lobotomy box, tried to bring up The History Channel, and accidentally tuned into Lifetime, Television For Fat Dumpy Housewives! Ain't technology grand?

Two further points that I'm sure you will hear: 1) the Urban American COMMUNity jabbering about 'disenfranchisement' (and please, dear friends, don't cringe when you hear them say it - just rip their tongue out by the roots ). Casting an electronic ballot is like erasing files from your hard drive - the AccuVote machine will essentially ask you, "ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO DO THIS?!?" before you commit yourself. The cards can be programmed to accomodate virtually ANYBODY that wishes to cast a ballot. Are you as blind as a bat? No problem - those fuckers can display a font so large, it can be seen from orbit. The one thing that it can't accomodate is abject stupidity. For anybody to think that states as far left as Kalifornia, as far right as Georgia, as well as the FEC, would sanction a system that would cause voters chronic problems - well, just stay out of my neighborhood. You're dangerous.

And, finally - for the moment - for those of you that think these machines can be hacked, you're theoretically right. Theoretically, in the same way that I could theoretically use this computer to hack into Cheyenne Mountain's tactical database, and find a way to toss a few nukes at Toronto. Snowballs will be voting Hell as their Number One vacation spot before it happens. Face it, X-Files fans, these machines - right down to my server - are STANDALONE, until I dial up the Secretary of State's office. And at NO TIME are they cabled together to talk to each other. It's a magic trick, and good magicians never give away their secrets.

All it takes is a few imcompetent volunteers to send the paranoids running around in circles with their asses in their hands. :D

Any more silly questions? Tinfoil hat theories? Good. Now get your asses outta my yard.

Ally_Kat
03-03-2004, 01:50 AM
LMFAO dude.

Viking
03-03-2004, 01:54 AM
Ain't nothng funny about it when you get Chicken Littles screaming 'The sky is falling! The sky is falling!", but there are only two possible answers to their hysteria: either they're point-blank ignorant of the facts (whether by accident or design), or they're just looking to create an issue where none exists (and that requires outright lies on their part).

ELVIS
03-03-2004, 02:14 AM
No it isn't funny.. neither is FORD's mindless drivel that he tries to slam down our throats while calling us sheep...

Well I for one do my homework.. as do the other non-liberals on this board...

Try again chicken little FORD...

Dr. Love
03-03-2004, 09:53 AM
Windows CE 3.0?

...they aren't hooked to a network, are they?

Junyore Grades
03-03-2004, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Viking
OK, KIDS, gather yo' naive, uninformed little honkey asses around Uncle Viking...

WHAT THE HELL DID YOU DO WITH UNCLE REYMUSS???
TODAY WAS SUPPOSED TO BE THE DAY HE WAS GOING TO TELL US
ABOUT BRARE RABBIT AND THE PAW PAW PATCH!!

YOU THINK JUST BECAUSE HE BE BLACK, HE DON'T KNOW NUTTIN' ABOUT 'DEM VOTIN' MACHINES?

He was just sayin' d' other day hows it was probly da' stoopid, old, white sistas at the pollin' place who were too inepted to know how to use terday's moden' technolologes.

knuckleboner
03-03-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Viking
Ain't nothng funny about it when you get Chicken Littles screaming 'The sky is falling! The sky is falling!", but there are only two possible answers to their hysteria: either they're point-blank ignorant of the facts (whether by accident or design), or they're just looking to create an issue where none exists (and that requires outright lies on their part).

totally agree. we've used touchscreen voting machines twice, now. general election in november 2003, and the democratic primary in februrary 2004. the primary went fine. the general had some problems.

10 machines didn't work right and were stopped. but i was there when the electoral board later cracked them open and compared the internal, printed registries with the computer data up to the point of them being pulled out of service. both agreed completely for all 10 machines.

and doc, yeah, odds are they ARE networked. or at least networkable. ours are networked AFTER the polls close to transmit their data into the electoral board. the machines are NOT networked during voting.

personally, i love the machines. they're easier to use then even the old non-computer touchscreens we used to have. they practically force you to acknowledge who you plan to vote for before making it official, in case you made a mistake (including pointing out if you left something blank).

Dr. Love
03-03-2004, 12:51 PM
Gah, networked. Windows. Hackers paradise.

John Ashcroft
03-03-2004, 01:37 PM
Yepper. But it's still funny as hell! Half of them 150 fucking year old polling station workers grew up without indoor plumbing for Christ's sakes! Airplanes still frighten and confuse these people! And they're working these computers???

knuckleboner
03-03-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Love
Gah, networked. Windows. Hackers paradise.

not quite as likely. they're only connected to the data center when they're downloading their data. and it's a direct connection.

i have no doubt it's possible to hack. but i don't think it's all that easy, either.

and mr. AG, there's really not much computer work for the average pollworker to do. they insert a vote card into the machine's open slot and push the get-ready-to-vote button. that's about it.

Viking
03-03-2004, 02:23 PM
Yes, they are technically 'networked' afterwards if they're using JResults to modem in voting totals to to Elections Office, but that's a one-way dialout. These systems aren't configured to receive an inbound query. And if a machine dies, there's only one thing that the poll worker, the net tech, or God can do with it: reboot. If that doesn't work, you pull the memory card and slam the lid shut.

BigBadBrian
03-03-2004, 02:30 PM
Ford? Your reply? :confused:

:D

John Ashcroft
03-03-2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by knuckleboner
not quite as likely. they're only connected to the data center when they're downloading their data. and it's a direct connection.

i have no doubt it's possible to hack. but i don't think it's all that easy, either.

and mr. AG, there's really not much computer work for the average pollworker to do. they insert a vote card into the machine's open slot and push the get-ready-to-vote button. that's about it.

And yet they still manage to fuck it up?... :confused:

Viking
03-03-2004, 07:08 PM
Yes, they still manage to fuck it up. Hey, lookit, most of these people peaked technologically with Philco tube radios and 'clicker' TV remotes. They spent their entire lives either punching out chads or coloring in the big oval with a no. 2 pencil. With the exception of the cards, poll workers do NONE of the programming or configuration - that's left to the computer technicians. As idiot-proofed as the system is designed to be, there are some people that will get nervous and intimidated around equipment that appears as technologically advanced as an Apollo moon launch would be to a British Red Coat. Hardware errors are easily negotiated - human errors are not. That's a universal constant, not just an issue propagated by people who are looking for boogeymen where none exist.

John Ashcroft
03-04-2004, 07:26 AM
In total agreement here. I just find Viking's post hilarious. You see, this is the result of years and years of the government trying to beat Natural Selection.

Viking
03-04-2004, 02:25 PM
Sometimes, truth is stranger than fiction. :D