PDA

View Full Version : ESPN to drop NHL package

Va Beach VH Fan
05-28-2005, 10:00 AM
Personally, as a fan, it's not a big deal to me, even when they get back... The majority of the games are on Fox Sports Net anyway.... But for the league, yeah, this is yet another hit....

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=126216&hubName=nhl

ESPN declines option on NHL TV rights

TSN.ca Staff

5/27/2005 6:24:41 PM

The National Hockey League's pocket book has taken another hit.

Sources tell TSN that American cable sports giant ESPN will decline their option to retain their NHL broadcast rights for next season. The option to retain their national cable rights was for $60 million US.

ESPN has declined to comment on the matter, but the decision is expected to be officially announced next week.

The league is now free to negotiate with any other US cable network, including ESPN who may try to negotiate a new deal at a lesser cost.

The NHL announced its cable agreement with ESPN last May, worth half the $120 million US a season it made under the five-year, $600-million deal that expired with ABC/ESPN after the 2004 Stanley Cup Final. Both sides reached a one-year agreement with options for the 2005-06 and 2006-07 seasons in May 2004.

While ESPN and ESPN2 covered a plethora of games during its previous contract, the new deal called for ESPN2 to air just 40 regular-season contests. The cable sports network also held exclusive rights to the conference finals and the first two games of the Stanley Cup Final.

The league also signed a two-year deal with NBC last year, which had the same type of revenue-sharing agreement the network has with the Arena Football League. Under the agreement, NBC would take the first portion of income from advertising to cover production expenses, while the NHL takes the next portion and the two split additional revenue equally.

The regular-season ratings on ABC have declined 21 per cent since the 2001-02 season while last year's Stanley Cup final ratings were down 21 per cent from 1999-2000.

Full Bug
05-28-2005, 10:15 AM
Not surprising at this point....

Bob_R
05-28-2005, 10:55 AM
The NHL shot themselves in the foot by striking for an entire season. Idiots.

monkeythe
05-28-2005, 12:48 PM
ESPN don't need hockey now. Poker programming is much cheaper and is pulling in better ratings.

vanzilla
05-29-2005, 05:24 PM
I would rather watch cross country back waxing.

POJO_Risin
06-01-2005, 12:03 AM
I heard that ESPN was planning on getting the NHL back at a cheaper price...

POJO_Risin
06-01-2005, 12:04 AM
Not that it fucking matters either way...people still WON'T be watching...

Bill Lumbergh
06-01-2005, 12:06 AM
YAWN...........

Bob_R
06-01-2005, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
Not that it fucking matters either way...people still WON'T be watching...

I'll be watching but I won't attend a game next season.

POJO_Risin
06-01-2005, 08:28 PM
I'll be watching too...

I'm intrigued by a new league...

Va Beach VH Fan
06-01-2005, 08:58 PM
Well, don't hold your breath just yet, but there is word that the CBA talks are starting to get closer....

I don't think it'd be out of the question to have a deal in 2 or 3 weeks...

Plenty of time for a draft, free agency, etc....

superdave
06-01-2005, 09:01 PM
It really is sad, I consider hockey to be perhaps the greatest sport, but the players ruined everything by not accepting a salary cap

POJO_Risin
06-01-2005, 09:08 PM
I won't hold my breath Va...although I've heard the same thing...

Vinnie Velvet
06-02-2005, 10:24 AM
Not sure about talks reaching an agreement.

They were so close before, they just couldn't reach an agreement, prior to the season from being cancelled.

POJO_Risin
06-02-2005, 02:29 PM
I agree with VV here...I just think they are never close...we shall see though...

perhaps Giuliani is simply trying to scare the NHL into doing it...

aesop
06-06-2005, 11:31 AM
I heard that ESPN's move was, probably like Gulliani's, a pressure ploy to get the two sides talking. Of course, if they get the NHL back at a lower price, I'm sure they wouldn't complain...

Vinnie Velvet
06-06-2005, 03:06 PM
The NHL has to come to grips with REALITY.

And REALITY is that hockey will not sell as well as other sports in markets that they've tried to give the game more exposure.

They have to realize that hockey will only sell in Canada and the traditional markets in the US.

Also, why can't the NHL go on some other network other than ESPN??? There's the USA Network, Spike TV, etc.

Does it have to be on a national sports network? No.

Trying to shove hockey down people's throats who'd rather watch car racing is not the way to go.

Accept the demographic of hockey fans and promote the game in those areas.