PDA

View Full Version : Who here likes geetars from pawn shops?? Well well well...

Loons The Great
05-28-2005, 03:45 PM
Wella, if it ain't been in pawn, it ain't the blooze. Yez Yas Yes!!

Big Fat Sammy
05-28-2005, 04:10 PM
I LOVE pawn shop geetars!!!

I'm gonna get lucky sooner or later and find a Japanese strat copy.

Bottoms Up
05-28-2005, 05:18 PM
You never know what you'll find in a pawn shop, got a Vox Wah Wah in the box for $60....

ashstralia
05-28-2005, 08:23 PM
coupla years ago our local had a jagstang.
one of those kurt cobain geetars.
sadly, i missed it by a day. dammit!!!

Nitro Express
05-29-2005, 04:38 PM
The only things I buy at pawn shops are guns. I take a look at the guitar rack, amps, and effects and they either have shit or the nice guitars are overpriced.

BrownSound1
05-29-2005, 06:10 PM
I almost bought an Ibanez copy of the Gibson EDS-1275 double neck at a pawn shop, they only wanted like 80 bucks for it, but it was in awful shape. I wish I had bought it now...just as a project guitar.

KramerPacer
06-27-2005, 04:34 PM
Bought a Black Kramer Pacer in a Pawn Shop in 1990. Old style Kramer headstock, MAPLE fretboard--identical to the neck on Eddie's Frankenstrat in the Jump video. One humbucker. $125, w/a Gibson case, and a distortion pedal thrown in.

Previous owner had lost the backplates, screwed up the wiring, never cleaned the hardware, and had a "UAW" sticker on it. Damn trade unions!!!!

Took it home, cleaned her up, dropped in a JB, played for a couple of years and sold for $500.

kentuckyklira
06-28-2005, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Big Fat Sammy
I LOVE pawn shop geetars!!!

I'm gonna get lucky sooner or later and find a Japanese strat copy. Which one of my 6 Fernandes lawsuit copies shall I post a pic of here??

Hardrock69
06-29-2005, 10:04 AM
I got my second JB Player neck-thru-body strat at a pawn shop for $75.00

I got a Fender Lead I that had been owned by my best friend in the early 80s in 1997 at a pawn shop for $175.

More recently, I found a Roland DR-660 in 2000 for 95 bucks.

Pawn shops are fun.

Here is a tip for all you gearheads:

If you EVER find a rackmount unit by Roland called the Dimension D in a pawnshop, BUY IT!!!

They are easily worth a thousand bucks, but are extremely hard to find, as any studio that is worth a damn has one. They have been bought up just about completely, and are worth money as a result.

:cool:

Big Fat Sammy
06-29-2005, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by kentuckyklira
Which one of my 6 Fernandes lawsuit copies shall I post a pic of here??

This friend of a friend had a special edition lawsuit Fenandes strat....he brought it over to my house and asked me to "keep it safe" because he didn't trust a roommate he was going to be living with for a couple of months. It belonged to his dad or something.

I set that baby up, shielded it with tin foil (lol) and played it at every show for about three months, and REALLY didn't wanna give it back. :D

ALMOSTsaved
06-29-2005, 12:10 PM
Pawn shops are a virtual treasure chest. You never know what you might find. I've found many a hard to find-out of print CDs.

In relation to this thread, I have one Pawn Shop Guitar and I love it.

Matt White
06-29-2005, 12:27 PM
This used to be a pawn shop geetar! A little paint & a Duncon JB....Viola!

ALMOSTsaved
06-29-2005, 01:00 PM
Beautiful!

Matt White
06-29-2005, 01:05 PM
Thanks! And...it's actually a Duncan JB!!!:D

And I added a DAVID LEE ROTH-Tuna!!!

bobgnote
07-02-2005, 05:50 PM
Painted Gibson MM double cutaway, less tuners, with silver-covered humbucking replacement, $100, has awesome fretwork now, fast, but I buried it. Heard of rosewood and what could happen off of it?

Last_Child
07-03-2005, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Matt White

ooh!

I love that guitar!

BrownSound1
07-03-2005, 01:26 PM
I like the JB pickup...one of my all time favorites.

Cathedral
07-03-2005, 05:36 PM
I lost a great amp in a pawn shop 10 years ago.
Our elctro-tech guru custom built me a Kustom KLA-40watt Guitar Amp and when times got tough i pawned it for a petty $80.

This amp was gutted and everything replaced with Killowatt's home brewed electronics.
It was a solid state amp and when it was done it was pumping out 100 watts through a single 12 inch speaker.
It was probably the best combo amp i ever played through, it was a monster.

Anyway, I was a day late getting back to get it out and they had already sent it to their home office in New York to be sold at another shop.
My heart broke, that amp was one of a kind and somebody got the deal of a lifetime on that deal.

So, there are some great deals to be found at pawn shops because i know i am not the only moron to ever lose something to a pawn broker worth more than what the books value stated.

Just keep going back like once a week and browse around. sooner or later a great deal will present itself at a fraction of it's actual value.

The one thing about pawn shops around here is that i have rarely seen them ask more than what things were pawned for, especially if the people running the place have no clue about musical instruments.
They use a book to determine the values of things and in my opinion that book is designed to give people the lesser of the value on any item.

I passed on an old Kingston Bass a few years ago that they had for $100. it was a funky shaped white Bass made with a fiberglass body and i turned my nose up at it.
As it turns out, those fuckers are worth some decent coin to a collector.

It's all about living and learning.............

Dave's Bitch
07-03-2005, 07:24 PM

i love that guitar Matt.it looks cool

Matt White
09-22-2005, 11:04 PM
Just because somebody asked again...DO IT YOURSELF!!!

Matt White
09-22-2005, 11:23 PM
DAMN!:mad:

I HATE IT WHEN THAT HAPPENS!!!!

Cato
09-22-2005, 11:40 PM
I bought a Tokai strat copy a few days ago, at pawnshop as usual.

this one.

Cato
09-22-2005, 11:41 PM
kewl!

Cato
09-22-2005, 11:42 PM
it was only $58!

Cato
09-22-2005, 11:44 PM
with my legendary Fender Custom shop '54 model...
it's a pawnshop guitar too.

Matt White
09-22-2005, 11:45 PM
DAMN!!!

Good find CATO!!!

Didn't that Ferris bro from INXS play a Tokai back in the day?

I know SRV had a tokai Strat!!!

Cato
09-23-2005, 08:04 AM
really? didn't know that. I know Billy Gibbons has a Tokai Les Paul called Love Rock...
that candy apple red strat is not a high grade one. it was made in the early 80s and the list price was around $320 at that time. but it sounds really GRATE.

twonabomber
09-23-2005, 08:33 AM

Didn't that Ferris bro from INXS play a Tokai back in the day?

yeah. he played these Tokais too:

http://elgitarrer.com/images/till-salu-gitarrer/Tokai-Talbo-94-58.jpg

jacksmar
09-23-2005, 09:09 AM
I found a Fort Worth Texas, Charvel Model 2 pre-production for 225 and talked the guy down to 175. He thought it might be worth a little more because it came with the orginal case.(HEH)

I stuck a JB in the bridge and have replaced virtually nothing on the guitar. The controls are finally getting to dirty to use the guitar live but it still plays like the day it was made.

It’s weird about guitars. Jackson makes really a good DX series but I wouldn’t buy a new one unless it was a neck thru.
The last Gibson I owned was a pawn Explorer from the 80’s. It had one of the awful paint jobs with black and grey pine stripes and an off white finish. It played really well and it was a gift at 400.

Big Troubles
09-23-2005, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Loons The Great
Wella, if it ain't been in pawn, it ain't the blooze. Yez Yas Yes!!

bought all 3 from pawn shops. strat copy, eddie knock off (that needs some serious emg pick ups to please me) and the one I play most, a Hamer guitar similar to the les paul.

I am a smidgen away from purchasing the Steinberger GT Pro. L series.

Hope this proves to be good news for me. Fingers crossed.

http://www.musicyo.com/product_specs.asp?pf_id=044

ELVIS
09-25-2005, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Cato
that candy apple red strat is not a high grade one. it was made in the early 80s and the list price was around $320 at that time. but it sounds really GRATE.

Is it red or orange ??

I like it!

:elvis:

Cato
09-25-2005, 09:21 AM
red.

but that spec is strange. it has to have a small headstock because it has a candy apple red body, eh?

ELVIS
09-25-2005, 09:23 AM
Fender offered custom colors throughout the 70's

:elvis:

scottd1984
09-28-2005, 01:34 PM
Awesome Guitar Matt!!

scottd1984
09-28-2005, 01:39 PM
I got a mid '80s Yamaha se110 for $85 nice axe. thinking about stripping it down and turning it into a B/W frankie.