PDA

View Full Version : David Lee Roth impressions on SNL.

WARF
05-29-2005, 04:42 PM
Does anyone remember the 4/19/97 episode of Saturday Night Live where Chris Kattan did his DLR impersonation, with Pamela Lee wrapped around his arms?

The episode was called, "Remember The 80'S"

Very funny shit.

diamondsgirl
05-29-2005, 06:06 PM
Never saw it...but, Kattan cracks me up. :D

DlocRoth
05-29-2005, 06:18 PM
All he kep sayin was "Bozey bozey bop" or something.

ROFL

academic punk
05-29-2005, 06:31 PM
he looks more like Vince Neil in that pic of him in the original post.

True Kattan story: I used to work at the ad agency that handled those 1-800-COLLECT commercials.

To all of our great annoyance, some of the featured B-list celebs we used were Dennis Miller, Terry Bradshaw, Jon Lithgow, and, among others, ALF. Say what you will about the spots (we sure did), these celebs were making into the mega-six figures for this crap, which represented...ONE day of work for them (of course the contract they had to sign barred them from endorsing any competing services and use of their face in print ads, but really, I'm not crying for any of them)

One time we had a character that we all thought Chris Kattan would be perfect for. We presented the concept to MCI, they loved it, signed off on it, now comes the easy part: contract the personality.

As it turns out, Chris Kattan was not interested. The offer was raised, TWICE, but this was non-negotiable: Chris Kattan will *NOT* do commercials. Very weird, because, in fairness, it's not like he's a great refined Shakespearean actor. He's a comedian on SNL who did a crappy movie (Roxbury).

Nonetheless, there it is, Chris Kattan will not sell his artistic credibility for commercial purposes.

WARF
05-29-2005, 06:33 PM
This must has happened before his CORKY ROMANO film.

academic punk
05-29-2005, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by WARF
This must has happened before his CORKY ROMANO film.

It was...either '99 or '00.

MAYBE early '01. But the safe money is '00.

diamondsgirl
05-29-2005, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by academic punk

Nonetheless, there it is, Chris Kattan will not sell his artistic credibility for commercial purposes.

the dummy :p

academic punk
05-29-2005, 06:50 PM
I'll say! Because of that, someone else's script went through, and I didn't get the bonus money for MCI "buying" the script!

ASS-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLE!!!!!

WARF
05-29-2005, 06:51 PM
One of the Baldwin brothers would have took it!

DlocRoth
05-29-2005, 08:27 PM

LOL...yeah pick one.

Fatty?
Barney Rubble?
Or the dude from Flatliners...

WARF
05-29-2005, 08:41 PM
Which Baldwin brother is the least talented?

zeronumber
05-29-2005, 08:41 PM
I remember that skit.

Pamela Lee was the star, and Tommy Lee was there with her.

it was remember the 80's with Goat boy...

Kattan come in "...And I'm so sad, and Lonely, bidbidy boz, zedop, bolop zop"

Goat boy: "Wow, that was a great song Dave!!!"

DLR: "Song nothing, I'm dead serious, I'm so sad and lonely, and I haven't eaten in such a long time!!!"

That was funny as hell.

academic punk
05-29-2005, 08:44 PM

Please. I do have some standards.

Big Troubles
05-29-2005, 08:49 PM
I always thought Chris K was a dork. Not funny at all, and I thought the skit was in poor taste. ( I guess cause I hate it when people take jabs at the man ) "Seriously, I haven't eaten in a long time"... Not funny. What has Kattan done? 2 movies? Fak, I rented "Taxi" and thought that was him until the end, turns out there are two very Unfunny idiots that look the same. And for the last 10 years, I'd hate to have SNL on my resume. :D

fret_buzz_blues
05-29-2005, 08:49 PM
I saw that shit! It was funny.

WARF
05-29-2005, 08:50 PM
I agree SNL went downhill after Conan O'Brien left!

WARF
05-29-2005, 08:51 PM
I liked the weekend update one better with Dana Carvey with him jumpin' on the bed... from the lost weekend winner!

zeronumber
05-29-2005, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Big Troubles
I always thought Chris K was a dork. Not funny at all, and I thought the skit was in poor taste. ( I guess cause I hate it when people take jabs at the man ) "Seriously, I haven't eaten in a long time"... Not funny. What has Kattan done? 2 movies? Fak, I rented "Taxi" and thought that was him until the end, turns out there are two very Unfunny idiots that look the same. And for the last 10 years, I'd hate to have SNL on my resume. :D

Meh, most commedy done with parodies are done "untastefull", that's what makes them so funny..

I freaking nearly cried when he said the whole "haven't eaten anything", espesially since this was right after the failed reunion attempt with van halen.

Big Troubles
05-29-2005, 09:36 PM
I liked the weekend update one better with Dana Carvey with him jumpin' on the bed... from the lost weekend winner!

Best SNL's Ive ever seen were with Steve Martin, Eddie Murphy, Chevy Chase, Dan Akroyd, Belushi and to some extent Billy Crystal. "You look marvelous baby". :D Norm MacDonald did a good job on Weekend Updates, same with Dennis Miller.

Lately though Mad Tv has been the better show.

zeronumber
05-29-2005, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Big Troubles
Best SNL's Ive ever seen were with Steve Martin, Eddie Murphy, Chevy Chase, Dan Akroyd, Belushi and to some extent Billy Crystal. "You look marvelous baby". :D Norm MacDonald did a good job on Weekend Updates, same with Dennis Miller.

Lately though Mad Tv has been the better show.

Madd tv has been a better show for the last 5 years strait.

Seriously, after 2000, the show went down hill.

Big Troubles
05-29-2005, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by zeronumber
Meh, most commedy done with parodies are done "untastefull", that's what makes them so funny..

I freaking nearly cried when he said the whole "haven't eaten anything", espesially since this was right after the failed reunion attempt with van halen.

I remember watching it, and I think my first reaction was " it's comedy BUT-fuckin' idiots, always pickin' on Dave". And it's true eh? Dave was such an easy target after VH ran with the pepsi ad, Dave's drug bust and the failed reunion... We ALL know the fans of CVH will have the last laugh. :D

rustoffa
05-29-2005, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by zeronumber
Madd tv has been a better show for the last 5 years strait.

Seriously, after 2000, the show went down hill.

The "Mr Show" (With Bob and David) on HBO was arguably the most progressive skit deal of all times.

You can buy the dvd replay now. Anyway, there was this one episode where they simulated a field-trip into sammy hagar's ass. It was fucking funny as hell. This group of students showed up at Cabo Wabo and were shown to sam's private bar. He was like all bent over on the bar and going, "Come on In! I've been expecting you guys!" The thing devolves into some spelunking pun fest in sam's ass and ends in disaster when you hear sam's echoey voice going, "Ed!!! there's people in there!!! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!"

Yeah, progressive shit but funny as hell.

WARF
05-30-2005, 11:12 AM
If you wanna get technical, the greatest sketch show ever was MTV's THE STATE!

DlocRoth
05-30-2005, 10:55 PM
The Ben Stiller show was fuckin hilarious.

But yeah, Mr. Show is hands down the best skit show ever.

Bob and Dave are fuckin geniuses.

"Any cock'll dooooooooooo.."

FORD
05-31-2005, 10:52 AM
Which Baldwin brother is the least talented?

Stephen, without a doubt.

Which is why he (like Dennis Miller and Ron Silver) gave up all pretense of acting and became a professional Busheep neocon mouthpiece.

Unchainme
05-31-2005, 03:24 PM
I saw this one I'm a big Fan of SNL. Very disapointed all Kattan kept saying was Zippity-Bop and crap like that I would think people who do parodys would at least research his career past Just A Gigolo.
[URL=http://snltranscripts.jt.org/00/00nnapster.phtml[/URL]

There was also a parody of The Napster hearings with him. BTW whats Dave stand on Illegelly Downloading music just out of curiosity.

DlocRoth
05-31-2005, 03:48 PM
I'm betting he couldnt fuckin care less.

The Toastmaster General of the people's band??

Give em what they want.

Terry
05-31-2005, 04:09 PM
That Kattan impression of DLR should have pissed me off, but I couldn't help laughing. Late 1990s was when I stopped watching SNL on Sat nights; that show just got so goddamn awful shortly before Farley and Sandler bailed. Never saw the big deal with Ferrell, but there's something about Kattan that makes me chuckle, even when the sketches he was in weren't particularly funny.

Geez, which Baldwin bro is the LEAST talented? Pretty much a four-way tie, with Alec maybe slightly ahead of the pack. Not saying much, though. None of them can act their way out of a wet nutsack.

Unchainme
05-31-2005, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by rustoffa
The "Mr Show" (With Bob and David) on HBO was arguably the most progressive skit deal of all times.

You can buy the dvd replay now. Anyway, there was this one episode where they simulated a field-trip into sammy hagar's ass. It was fucking funny as hell. This group of students showed up at Cabo Wabo and were shown to sam's private bar. He was like all bent over on the bar and going, "Come on In! I've been expecting you guys!" The thing devolves into some spelunking pun fest in sam's ass and ends in disaster when you hear sam's echoey voice going, "Ed!!! there's people in there!!! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!"

Yeah, progressive shit but funny as hell.

Please someone post this would be a great addition to The Army Visual library LOL!

FORD
05-31-2005, 10:11 PM
On the subject of VH and SNL skits, I saw the infamous Sandler/Farley "gay beer commercial" over the weekend, but it was the FUCKING GODDAMN NEUTERED VERSION WITH THE LAME WANNABE SOUNDTRACK :mad:

Does anybody know if this sketch exists, in it's original form, on an SNL "Best Of" DVD - either Farley's or Sandler's??

fryingdutchman
05-31-2005, 10:38 PM
I remember a pair of scientists who were on hand to calm down Goat Boy if he got too excited. They would hit him with an electrified baton or something...

I think in that episode they hit Kattan with the stun too to keep him from jumping up and down.

Not a very flattering portrayal, but kinda funny at the same time.

Wolverine
06-02-2005, 09:02 AM
Chris Kattan always reminded me of little faggot!! Is he gay??

FORD
06-02-2005, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by The Godfather
Chris Kattan always reminded me of little faggot!! Is he gay??

I'd find it hard to believe that any straight guy could be so convincing as "Mango"

MAX
06-02-2005, 03:56 PM
I have the SNL from '87 on VHS where Valerie is the host, Edward jams with the band, they have one skit called "Dinner with the Van Halen's" and on the Weekend Update (Then hosted by Dennis Miller) there was a Dave skit. It was "The Lost Weekend with David Lee Roth" Dana Carvey played Dave and John Lovitz was the winner of the "Lost Weekend" contest. Anyhoo, they show Lovitz sitting on a bed in a hotel room, holding up a sign that reads "HELP ME" all while Carvey is jumping on the bed doing Dave. Personally, I thought it was pretty fucking weak. Anyone else ever seen this?

fryingdutchman
06-02-2005, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by MAX
I have the SNL from '87 on VHS where Valerie is the host, Edward jams with the band, they have one skit called "Dinner with the Van Halen's" and on the Weekend Update (Then hosted by Dennis Miller) there was a Dave skit. It was "The Lost Weekend with David Lee Roth" Dana Carvey played Dave and John Lovitz was the winner of the "Lost Weekend" contest. Anyhoo, they show Lovitz sitting on a bed in a hotel room, holding up a sign that reads "HELP ME" all while Carvey is jumping on the bed doing Dave. Personally, I thought it was pretty fucking weak. Anyone else ever seen this?

I remember "Dinner with the Van Halens" really well. Eddie kept almost losing it and cracking up....especially when all the "roadies" were scrambling around with flashlights leading them to the dining room table.

I vaguely remember the "Lost Weekend..." but not very well. I think I have a mental block when it comes to the work of Jon Lovitz.

BenJammin
06-02-2005, 11:44 PM
About SNL....

People tend to romanticize the original lineup and say all the new stuff sucks, but the thing with SNL is there was always a lot of crap, and a few gems to watch for, just had to catch them and appreciate it for what it was.

My personal favorites:
-Chistopher Walken as host and 'The Continental' sketches
-Jim Carrey as host
-Garth Brooks as host (great sketches with him)
-Steve Martin (every show he hosted), he drives the show to new heights
-Opera Man
-Kevin Nealon as Subliminal Man and his stint as news anchor
-Will Farrell as Harry Caray

Hated:
Colin Quinn as news anchor
Martin Lawrence as host
Chris Rock (I like his standup, but he didn't fit well in the cast of SNL)
'Pat' (okay good joke, but not for recurring character)

AMP187
06-03-2005, 12:21 AM
"Madd tv has been a better show for the last 5 years strait.

Seriously, after 2000, the show went down hill."

You shut your filthy mouth, no matter HOW bad SNL can get, there's no way it can get as fuckin terrible as MadTV is....