PDA

View Full Version : Bass Amps...what are you thumping with?

BrownSound1
05-30-2005, 04:16 AM
Just wondered what amps the bass players here are using. I'm not a bassist per se, but I have started playing bass for a startup band as of late. As far as an amp I run a Gallien-Krueger 800RB with a 2x10 as of late, just for portability. It still has plenty of punch and bottom end.

I personally think 10" speakers shit all over the bigger speakers like 15's. 15's are too floppy sounding, whereas 10 inchers are nice and tight. Plus, the enclosure has EVERYTHING to do with the bottom end...so you don't have to have a huge speaker to get that.

I did play through an Ampeg BA500 this weekend, and I was thoroughly impressed. 350 watts of pure balls out tone...from a "combo" and I use that term loosely. I wouldn't mine owning one of these puppies.

Of course my choice of bass is usually a '67 Fender Jazz bass..although the neck is not the original, and it's loaded with Duncan Antiquity pickups. I also have a Fender P-Bass that I use as my backup. I run them into a Sadowsky preamp, and then into the GK. I don't use the XLR line out on the back of the amp to send it to the PA. Instead I use a Radial Engineering JDV Class A direct box, when going to the PA is a must.

UGS
05-31-2005, 09:09 AM
I'm not really a bassist either. . . the only time I play is when I need to add it to the little demo songs I make, and in those cases I go direct with an FX processor or just a DI, so no amp.

My bro is a bass player, and I've played around with his stuff a bit. He has a 200 watt Yorkville amp with a 15" and a tweeter. The tweeter is pretty sweet, and adds some "crispness" and definition to the sound. The 15 rumbles too.

mentalpancake
05-31-2005, 01:21 PM
I've only just started playing bass recently so I don't really know much at all about it. All I can tell you is that my amp is a Behringer Ultrabass BX600 and it's 60 watts. I have no idea about anything else with it.

Seshmeister
05-31-2005, 09:45 PM
Does it really matter?:)

I thought bass players just tried to get the biggest one they could so they could ruin the mix by being too loud.

Whenever I was in the studio the producer used to always just DI the bass and he was a bass player!:)

You used to get those amps..cunt remember the name but they were meant to be the best ones going back in the early 90s with a 20 band EQ or something.

Bass players used to pretend to fuck around with the settings but I don't think it made a whole lot of difference in standard rock music where the bass should be felt rather than heard in any case.

"Give a note to the bass drum. It's A for the verse C to D for the pre chorus and then A again for the chorus. Oh and could you turn down a bit?"

That was a typical conversation with a bass player. I went through 4 in 3 years right enough but it worked for Mike Anthony...:)

Shoot me down - I'm no expert on this...:)

Cheers!

:gulp:

SNIPER
05-31-2005, 09:50 PM
Im using an Ameg Pro 4 with an Ampeg 8x10 cab. 1,600 watts! kicks fucking ass live.

SNIPER
05-31-2005, 09:52 PM
You cant just use DI in the studo, you need to mic the cab unless you want to sound like Mike Anthony on 5150.

tydhurst
06-03-2005, 07:22 PM
I use an ashdown electric blue 150watt head and 200 watt cab.

Redballjets88
06-03-2005, 07:24 PM
i dont have enought money to get a good bass amp

tydhurst
06-15-2005, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Redballjets88
i dont have enought money to get a good bass amp

Shame, there's nothing like a good amp if you are a bassist!

Redballjets88
06-15-2005, 08:48 PM
yeah i know but when ur 17 and making a little more than minimum wage while paying a car payment, insurance and for gas cant really go out and buy a lot of stuff

tydhurst
06-15-2005, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Redballjets88
yeah i know but when ur 17 and making a little more than minimum wage while paying a car payment, insurance and for gas cant really go out and buy a lot of stuff

I was lucky, i got college funding, instead of buying food and books and shit, i bought a head and cab!

jackassrock
06-16-2005, 10:51 AM
I just play bass in a 80's metal cover band (can you say A,E,D), but my rig is a Kustom 400 watt head with 2-2x15 cabs. The head has a switchable tube/solid state pre and it sounds damn good IMO. Plus they're red sparkle tuck and roll.

I usually use a 67 reissue p-bass, or my Gibson Blackbird.