PDA

View Full Version : Stroud, Gloucester man lucky owner of Jimi Hendrix amp...

Hardrock69
05-31-2005, 12:35 AM
The U.K.'s Times Online has issued the following report:

A superannuated hippy could be on his way to a £1 million (approximately $1.82 million) windfall after a collector of rock memorabilia in Edinburgh confirmed that his Marshall amplifier once belonged to Jimi Hendrix. Richard Dickinson, of Stroud in Gloucestershire, purchased the battered device for £65 (approximately $119)in a second-hand shop 34 years ago, shortly after Hendrix joined the great gig in the sky.

Sadly, however, beyond the word of the shop’s proprietor, there was little corroboration that Hendrix had indeed used the amplifier during any of his interminable 25-minute solos, not even a note in his own hand reading "Hey man, this is definitely my amplifier, man."

But that was until Tommy Paxton came along, with a photograph of Hendrix and the amp, the latter bearing a telltale scratch which matched the scratch on Dickinson's amp. Somehow he had overlooked the fact that the amplifier also had "JH Exp" (short for JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE) stamped on it. "It is close to being the Holy Grail," said Dickinson's son Jamie. Having already received an offer of £600,000 (approximately $1.09 million) for the amp, Dickinson hopes this new proof of provenance will hike its value to £1m.

"I've always known it was a Hendrix amplifier and worth a few quid," said Dickinson, "but I never thought it was worth what it is now." How nice to be reminded that the loving, anti-materialist idealism of Jimi's era lives on.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2090-1629961,00.html

Big Fat Sammy
06-01-2005, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
Somehow he had overlooked the fact that the amplifier also had "JH Exp" (short for JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE) stamped on it.

LOL

I wonder how much historic equipment is out there that people own, but don't even know what they have.

Panamark
06-01-2005, 04:08 AM
Notice its always the ignorant that stumble across this shit ??

Big Fat Sammy
06-01-2005, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Panamark
Notice its always the ignorant that stumble across this shit ??

Yeah like..."I bought this here geetar back in '71, cause I wanted to learn how to pick on it, never been out of the case. Who's Jimmy Hendricks (sic) ?"

Hardrock69
06-01-2005, 05:31 PM
Lucky motherfuckers....

I just WISH I could find a Marshall amp/cab with JHE stenciled on it.

I was lucky enuff to buy my Marshall cab and find it signed by Jim Marshall himself on the inside...

Well that Jimi is beeter than none LOL...

jojo2371
06-10-2005, 07:03 PM
i have heard that jimmy page has 2 of jimi's marshall heads,also read some were (i beleive it was an interveiw in guitarworld) that he used 'em on tour with zep ,basically he got them from eddie kramer when kramer produced zep ,kinda makes ya wonder how much those suckers would go for at auction !!!!!!!