PDA

View Full Version : Bush, Blair and Pope Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

John Ashcroft
03-03-2004, 01:17 PM
President Bush, British Prime Minister Tony Blair and Pope John Paul II are among the 144 individuals and 50 organizations nominated for the 2004 Nobel Peace Prize.

Today was the deadline for nominations. The winner of the $1.3 million award will be announced in mid-October.

The prize has lost some of its luster since disastrous ex-president Jimmy Carter was handed it, and some of this year's nominees have a Carteresque flair: French President Jacques Chirac, the European Union and, reportedly, International Solidarity Movement, a pro-Palestinian activist group.

Others include: Cuban dissident Oswaldo Paya, former Czech President Vaclav Havel, former chief U.N. weapons inspector Hans Blix, International Atomic Energy Agency chief Mohamed ElBaradei, and Israeli technician Mordechai Vanunu, jailed for exposing his country's nuclear weapons program.

Sen. Richard Lugar and former Sen. Sam Nunn were nominated for their program to dismantle nuclear weapons in Russia.

Link: My vote's for Bush. (http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/3/2/213533.shtml)

ELVIS
03-03-2004, 02:48 PM
Hans Blix ??

:rolleyes:

Pink Spider
03-03-2004, 02:52 PM
The Pope? Did he kill anyone?

Bush and Blair being nominated is about as funny as Henry Kissinger winning one.

FORD
03-03-2004, 02:54 PM
George Orwell is laughing in his grave.

Catfish
03-03-2004, 02:56 PM
Don't presidents get nominated every year?

John Ashcroft
03-03-2004, 03:01 PM
I guess the modern day Democrat would nominate Saddam rather than Bush.

Pink Spider
03-03-2004, 03:03 PM
Looking at the list, he's probably on there anyway.

Wayne L.
03-03-2004, 03:04 PM
Charles Manson could get a Nobel Peace Prize nowadays so it's not a big deal anyway.

knuckleboner
03-03-2004, 03:05 PM
what the fuck would george bush be nominated for a nobel physics prize for?!?

(i'm kidding, mr. AG. i actually READ all of this one...:D)

though i think the dig on carter was a bit harsh. though he may have been a "disasterous president." he's been a pretty good EX-president. which, is pretty much why he won the award.

FORD
03-03-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by John Ashcroft
I guess the modern day Democrat would nominate Saddam rather than Bush.

I would rather a PEACE prize didn't go to a warmonger at all. :mad:

John Ashcroft
03-04-2004, 07:32 AM
Hell, isn't Nobel the one who invented dynamite?

And KB, Carter's got good intentions, but what have been the result of those intentions? The committee itself (that picked Carter) said it was more a statement against Bush than a reward for Carter's accomplishments.

Jesus Christ
03-04-2004, 11:41 AM
Verily, when I come back to this earth and turn the swords into plowshares, I actually thinketh some of you will be disappointed :(

knuckleboner
03-04-2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by John Ashcroft
Hell, isn't Nobel the one who invented dynamite?

And KB, Carter's got good intentions, but what have been the result of those intentions? The committee itself (that picked Carter) said it was more a statement against Bush than a reward for Carter's accomplishments.

yep, nobel invented TNT for contruction purposes; making it easier to get tunnels through mountains. he wasn't pleased when it became a weapon, as well. i think that's the reason he started the prize.

and as for carter, i thought that it was for his work in monitoring elections around the world. but if the committee also thought it being a slap in bush's face was a factor, then they were wrong. it shouldn't be politicized. (i know, i know. i'm living in a dream world...;))