PDA

View Full Version : Packers to retire Reggie White's #92

POJO_Risin
06-01-2005, 06:46 PM
Well...he was there 6 years...did some great things there...took them to the Super Bowl...

good to see the classless eagles remain...well...classless...

Packers to retire White's number at home opener
May 31, 2005
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- The Green Bay Packers will retire Reggie White's number at halftime ceremonies of their home opener against the Cleveland Browns on Sept. 18.

Team president Bob Harlan said he had told White before his death last December that he wanted to add his No. 92 to the retired numbers listed in the north end zone at Lambeau Field.

"He was thrilled. He kept saying what an honor that would be," Harlan said Tuesday.

White, who suffered from a respiratory ailment, died Dec. 26 at age 43.

He joined the Packers in 1993 in one of the biggest free-agent signings in sports history and during a six-year stay helped restore respectability to a faded franchise. He helped lead the Packers to a Super Bowl triumph over New England following the 1996 season.

Reggie White was instrumental in the Packers' return to glory. (AP)
The Packers have four retired numbers: fullback Tony Canadeo (3), wide receiver Don Hutson (14), quarterback Bart Starr (15) and linebacker Ray Nitschke (66).

The NFL prefers teams honor players by retiring their jerseys, not their numbers, but Harlan said White deserves a special honor.

"We're going to have to do it with No. 4 someday, too," Harlan said, referring to quarterback Brett Favre.

"I always look at Ron Wolf, Mike Holmgren, Reggie White and Brett Favre -- these guys revived this franchise when I think a lot of our fans had given up hope that it was ever going to happen. I just think we have to honor these men."

AP NEWS

You'd think there were others for the Packers who should have their numbers retired...

Va Beach VH Fan
06-01-2005, 08:56 PM
I'm just waiting for Tony Mandarich day myself.... ;)

POJO_Risin
06-01-2005, 09:03 PM
They chose not to do Tony Mandarich day...they instead chose to do Tony Mandarich second...last season on opening day...

It went something like this...

"..."

Many were moved...

superdave
06-01-2005, 09:06 PM
It is cool that they are honoring White, but I thought his B.S. about "going to Green Bay because God told me to" was cheesy

POJO_Risin
06-01-2005, 09:11 PM
Not to mention his slamming of every ethnicity this side of the Philly Hood...