• Warham
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Mar 2004

Dean Outlines Opportunities for Democrats

Dean Outlines Opportunities for Democrats

By WILL LESTER
    The Associated Press
    Thursday, June 2, 2005; 12:30 PM

WASHINGTON -- Democratic Party chairman Howard Dean told liberal activists Thursday they have an extraordinary opportunity to provide an alternative to the country after more than four years of the "dark, difficult and dishonest vision the Republican Party offers for America."

Dean told the annual meeting of the Campaign for America's Future that a big problem facing the country is "the belief that propaganda and manipulation will succeed in America. I think it will not."

The gathering at a Washington hotel was described by leaders as the "largest gathering of progressives since the November election." Speakers said the Bush administration and GOP power in Washington were the greatest unifying force for Democrats and liberal activists in many years.

The Democratic chairman said Republicans already have control of the White House and Congress and are now trying to seize control of the judiciary. He was referring to the struggle in the Senate over conservative judicial nominees that have drawn unified Democratic opposition.

"I always thought an independent judiciary was important for a strong democracy," Dean said. "This administration is beginning to erode the core of democracy."

"Howard Dean's diatribe today illustrates that the Democrat Party not only lacks leadership but is overflowing with anger," said Republican National Committee spokeswoman Tracey Schmitt. "Dean's priority is to generate mudslinging headlines rather than engage in substantive debate."

Dean told the activists that it was important for Democrats to outline what they would do if they were in charge and not just criticize the Bush administration.

He called for making pensions portable so they could be taken from one job to the next, while criticizing Bush for his efforts to create private accounts for Social Security while the private pension system is being poorly funded. He was referring to a new government report out this week that says the underfunding of pension plans grew from $39 billion in 2000 to more than $450 billion by September 2004.

"What does he think ordinary Americans live on after they reach 65 years old?" Dean said.

The chairman also called for changes to election laws, making Election Day a holiday or moving it from Tuesday and making it easier for everyone to vote.

He said he supports establishing a law "that says you cannot use a voting machine unless it can be recounted by hand." That line brought the longest sustained applause of the day, reflecting lingering bitterness after reports of voting problems in the close 2004 election.
  • Warham
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Mar 2004

Jokes to follow shortly.

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

The Doc is right, as usual. Right about the judiciary, right about the voting machines, right about Social Security.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Warham
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Mar 2004

Yeah, I can see Democrats wanting more paper ballots. Easier to 'find' more hanging chads.

Comment

• Warham
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Mar 2004

Why would moving Election Day matter to him? I think what he's really looking for is a way to get felons and illegal immigrants to vote.

Comment

• Guitar Shark
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Jan 2004

Dean has not impressed me so far as DNC chair. He needs to be less hostile. He needs to think a bit more before he makes public statements. And he needs to act in such a way that people will start to like him. Because right now, he (and the Dems) are isolating themselves from middle America, which is where the deciding votes come from.
            ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
            Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• Warham
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Mar 2004

He's bringing in about half of what the Republicans have made so far this year on donations, and I don't think the conservatives are even trying very hard right now.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Warham
                He's bringing in about half of what the Republicans have made so far this year on donations, and I don't think the conservatives are even trying very hard right now.
                Well, when you whore out the temple to EXXON-MOBIL, you're bound to rake in the bucks...

Comment

• Warham
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Mar 2004

George Soros is pretty wealthy. Didn't he make part of his fortune in the oil business?

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

George Soros is pretty wealthy. Didn't he make part of his fortune in the oil business?
                    Well, is he for drilling in ANWAR to solve ALL of our energy problems? Wow is BUSH's energy policy full of shit!

Comment

• FORD
                      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
                      Dean has not impressed me so far as DNC chair. He needs to be less hostile. He needs to think a bit more before he makes public statements. And he needs to act in such a way that people will start to like him. Because right now, he (and the Dems) are isolating themselves from middle America, which is where the deciding votes come from.
                      Middle America elected Dean as DNC chair. And they supported him for the reason that the previously DLC led Terry McUseless regime put too much emphasis on the "safe" Blue states.

Howard Dean was talking about a 50 state strategy last year when he was campaigning himself, and he's still committed to that. And Middle America wants honesty, not bullshit. They know that Hillary's not going to be straight with them. They know the DLC are full of shit. We can't go back to how McUseless did things. Democratic values ARE middle America's values, and the big business corporatist GOP never did give a shit about middle America.
                      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Warham
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                        And Middle America wants honesty, not bullshit.
                        Must be why John Kerry lost last year...

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                          Democratic values ARE middle America's values, and the big business corporatist GOP never did give a shit about middle America.
                          You know that and I know that, but most of middle America does not. Right now, I don't think Dean is succeeding in crafting a message that will "sell", much less communicating it.
                          ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
                          Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• FORD
                            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Must be why John Kerry lost last year...
                            It was certainly part of the reason. Judas was under orders from the DLC not to take a strong position on anything
                            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Warham
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Mar 2004

And to think that the NY and LA Times actually believed Kerry won those three debates handily.

Comment

Working...