PDA

View Full Version : Tyson Vs Ali in there prime

Dave's Bitch
06-02-2005, 03:06 PM
Speaks for itsself really.

if i had to chose i would probably go with tyson because he can hit alot harder than ali can.ali moves like a middleweight but he punches like one too

Carmine
06-02-2005, 03:07 PM
In there prime:

TYSON!

Phukker was BAD-ASS back then!!

Warham
06-02-2005, 03:08 PM
Ali.

Redballjets88
06-02-2005, 03:08 PM
3 round rule but i dunno if ali could take that punishment he did with foreman but tyson is a different breed

VHdamaco
06-02-2005, 03:17 PM
it'd be tyson in a 2 round bout...

tops...

POJO_Risin
06-02-2005, 04:13 PM
Mother of Christ...

and in a nutshell...

we have why Tyson gets fights...

because people actually rank this guy with Ali...

No way...even in Tyson's prime...does he beat Ali...

punches like a middleweight my ass...

Dave's Bitch
06-02-2005, 04:22 PM
Ali definatly couldnt hit as hard as the likes of frazier and norton who were his competition

POJO_Risin
06-02-2005, 04:28 PM
I agree for the most part...but both Frazier and Foreman (who both hated Ali at the time) said that nobody hit them with harder punches than Ali...

and both those guys got hit by each other...and by Norton...

and what made Norton good wasn't his power...it was his unorthodox style...

Foreman was a straight up thug at the time...

and Frazier didn't have a big punch...he was a bull...

Warham
06-02-2005, 04:30 PM
Ali took everything that Foreman had and still beat him.

POJO_Risin
06-02-2005, 04:37 PM
Ali took everything that everyone had...and still beat them...and when he lost...at least the first three times...

he came back all three times and won the rematch...

and the great thing about Norton, Foreman, Frazier and Ali...they wanted to be the best...

and...the best part about it is that they wanted to be the best...so they always wanted to fight each other...

they didn't take the path of least resistance...like Tyson often did (D'Amato taking care of him)...and some said that Floyd Patterson did...

Dave's Bitch
06-02-2005, 04:41 PM
remember when ali fought spinks and he lost,he looked flabby and slow just like tyson does in his fights now

Matt White
06-02-2005, 04:43 PM
As I said in the "other" Ali thread:

Muhammad was the TOTAL PACKAGE:
BOXING ABILITY
SPEED
POWER
RING KNOWLEDGE
HEART
KILLER INSTINCT
GREAT CHIN

In his PRIME ALI would have destroyed Tyson. Tyson ALWAYS had trouble with bigger opponents.
ALI would have taken him to school.
Marciano would have too.
JOE LOUIS would have CRIPPLED Tyson.

POJO_Risin
06-02-2005, 05:09 PM
Ali beat Spinks 8 months later...and looked much more fit...

Ali was what...40 when he fought Spinks?

Alter Bridge
06-02-2005, 11:47 PM
Tyson would fuckin kill Ali. Not even fuckin close.

Matt White
06-03-2005, 12:15 AM
ALI would drop Tyson like a three foot putt!

PLOP!!!

POJO_Risin
06-03-2005, 12:19 AM
Like I said...the Tyson mentality shows you how and why Tyson is still a commodity in the heavyweight division...

really...who did this guy beat?

Pinklon "Pinky" Thomas?

Tim Witherspoon 10 years past his prime?

Michael Spinks?

Christ...

wait...

Mitch Blood Green...

POJO_Risin
06-03-2005, 12:22 AM
http://www.antekprizering.com/tysongreenpic.jpeg

Rikk
06-03-2005, 12:35 AM
Can't believe this is even a debate. ALI. Hands down. And this was before it was even the business it became with TYSON.

redblkwht
06-03-2005, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by Warham
Ali took everything that Foreman had and still beat him.
IMO had more power than Tyson ever dreamed..
prime for prime..
ernie shavers also had more power. lol

redblkwht
06-03-2005, 01:10 AM
Ali no question was & is the best that will ever be in the Heavys..
the brown bomber/Marciano
in 2nd all time..(tied)

Dave's Bitch
06-03-2005, 01:25 AM
for me it goes

1.Rocky Marciano
2.Joe Louis
3.Muhammad Ali
4.Mike Tyson
5.Joe Frazier

Redballjets88
06-03-2005, 01:30 AM
1- ali
2- sugar ray robinson
3- marciano
4- tyon with original trainer
5-joe loius
6-joe frazier
7-jack dempsey
8- holyfeild
9-foreman
10-lewis

redblkwht
06-03-2005, 01:32 AM
jets..weight class bro?
robinson was a middleweight.

Dave's Bitch
06-03-2005, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by redblkwht
jets..weight class bro?
robinson was a middleweight.

i was just thinking that

Dave's Bitch
06-03-2005, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by Dave's Bitch
for me it goes
my top 10 would be

1.Rocky Marciano
2.Joe Louis
3.Muhammad Ali
4.Mike Tyson
5.Joe Frazier

6.Ken Norton
7.George Foreman
8.Sonny Liston
9.Evander Holyfield
10.Roy Jones jr

redblkwht
06-03-2005, 01:46 AM
Heavys

1 ALI no question

2 Marciano

3 Joe Louis

4 peanut head (record only)
Larry Holmes great jab,boxer.

5 Joe Frasier

6 Tyson (prime)

7 Lennox Lewis

8 Riddick Bowe (prime)

9 Holyfield (weight class)
too light IMO ;)

10 George Foreman

Dempsey couldnt take 5
rounds with any of these top
10 bro..;) too light.

Redballjets88
06-03-2005, 01:48 AM
i was talking all time not for weight

redblkwht
06-03-2005, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by Redballjets88
i was talking all time not for weight
Okie dokie..

ill do a all timers tomorrow
night then to counter you ;)

Duran IMO will be in my top 10
believe it or not..
mind you i grew up in the 70's ;)

Redballjets88
06-03-2005, 01:52 AM
yeah i just going off of people i have heard of and from watching countdowns and such

Dave's Bitch
06-03-2005, 07:18 AM
my top 10 all time no weight

1.Rocky Marciano
2.Joe Louis
3.Muhammad Ali
4.Mike Tyson
5.Jake Lamotta
6.Ray Leonard
7.Roberto Duran
8.Ray Robinson
9.Joe Frazier
10.Ken Norton

Seshmeister
06-03-2005, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by Dave's Bitch
my top 10 all time no weight

1.Rocky Marciano
2.Joe Louis
3.Muhammad Ali
4.Mike Tyson
5.Jake Lamotta
6.Ray Leonard
7.Roberto Duran
8.Ray Robinson
9.Joe Frazier
10.Ken Norton

Ray Robinson has to be above Lamotta film or no film.

They fought 6 times and Sugar Ray won 5 of them!!!!

Plus Jake did the unforgivable and threw a fight.

Cheers!

:gulp:

Dave's Bitch
06-03-2005, 08:33 AM
true true but i just prefer lamotta to robinson

Seshmeister
06-03-2005, 08:36 AM
Sexually?

Is this a race thing?

Dave's Bitch
06-03-2005, 09:20 AM
LOL no i just think lamotta is better

scorpioboy33
06-03-2005, 09:25 AM
Tyson was a biatch...who did he fight...no one....I wouldn't even put him in the top 20....As far as Ali vs tyson.....I won't even reply..it's to obvious

flappo
06-03-2005, 10:14 AM
tyson's a fighter , ali's a boxer

in the ring , ali would dance round him until tyson was tired then knock the shit out of him

POJO_Risin
06-03-2005, 11:17 AM
All right...I'm going to start a new thread...top 10 POUND FOR POUND BOXERS OF ALL TIME...

You may not like my list...

but fuck it...

davesbitch ih8u
06-03-2005, 11:34 AM
Ali would beat mike tyson easily

Dave's Bitch
06-03-2005, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by davesbitch ih8u
Ali would beat mike tyson easily

i think in his prime iron mike would beat ali in about round 9 as long as he was moving and not just swinging

POJO_Risin
06-03-2005, 12:30 PM
Well...again...people are putting Mike in his prime years...

so you all need to put Ali in his prime years...in the mid-60's...Ali was quick...and powerful...and he would have gotten into Mike's head.

I think Tyson would have been running after him for 3 or 4 rounds...and Tyson would have been keeping him back with a quick jab...and running around fucking with him. The one thing Ali/Clay could do better than anyone was make you miss...and leave you in position to get hit. Ali in 5 or 6...

DlocRoth
06-03-2005, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
Well...again...people are putting Mike in his prime years...

so you all need to put Ali in his prime years...in the mid-60's...Ali was quick...and powerful...and he would have gotten into Mike's head.

I think Tyson would have been running after him for 3 or 4 rounds...and Tyson would have been keeping him back with a quick jab...and running around fucking with him. The one thing Ali/Clay could do better than anyone was make you miss...and leave you in position to get hit. Ali in 5 or 6...

Exactly....

If Evander Holyfield can frustrate Tyson, then the Greatest? Puhleeease.... Even if Tyson were to land some big ones, Ali had a pretty good chin, underrated.

Ali in 6.

Next??

POJO_Risin
06-03-2005, 04:58 PM
Oh...Ali's chin wasn't underrated...Norton, Foreman (who in his prime...was a bigger and badder Tyson) and Frazier both found out that you had to kill Ali to beat him...

DlocRoth
06-03-2005, 06:40 PM
No shit!

I mean when Ali's talked about..

Always his hands and feet...never his chin..

POJO_Risin
06-04-2005, 11:34 AM
If you watch any of his fights...and see the punches that are landed...in particular Frazier and Foreman...you can't question his chin...and how...after all of those punches taken...he could get back up...or not go down...then win the fight...

of course...we know how it's taken it's toll now...

academic punk
06-04-2005, 11:39 AM
POJO -

Why are you typing...with...all...these...pauses..?

It makes...reading your posts remin...remin...reminiscient...of hearing...Ali speak...these days...

academic punk
06-04-2005, 11:41 AM
And Tyson in his prime had two things that Ali in his prime didn't: his managements encouragement to be a fucking animal, and steroids.

Sorry. Tyson laid a hand on anyone in his day and they're lucky their head didn't come off.

POJO_Risin
06-04-2005, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by academic punk
POJO -

Why are you typing...with...all...these...pauses..?

It makes...reading your posts remin...remin...reminiscient...of hearing...Ali speak...these days...

Are you new here...?

POJO_Risin
06-04-2005, 12:10 PM
And you realize that you are essentially saying that Tyson is one of the top 2 boxers of all time...

which is this side of ridiculous...

His management had nothing to do with how he fought...Kevin Rooney did...and if you think Rooney's strategy was to "be an animal..."

well...that's just not the case. He fought like Frazier...with 2 things that he did better...

1. Tyson...in his earlier fights...wasn't stationary...and didn't just move forward...he very consistently moved from side to side...so his punches would come at different angles...and he wouldn't get hit as much...

2. Tyson had Foreman's power.

Rooney is a master at breaking down opponents weaknesses...so that Tyson went into the first couple of rounds looking for specific openings...and he always found him because he isn't a windup puncher...his power comes quickly and immediately...

Ali would know all of this...would get Tyson frothing at the mouth...and believe it or not...Tyson throwing uncontrollable bombs is much better than the concise Tyson...prime...no prime...Ali would have Tyson out of his game 2 months BEFORE the fight...

and there aren't any steroids on the planet that will make a difference in that.

No offense punk...but I think you are missing what made Ali so great other than his athletic gifts...

if you watch his fights in the 60's...they are something to behold...

and if he would have been that fighter in the 70's...he would be EVEN GREATER...

guwapo_rocker
06-04-2005, 12:16 PM
This was a great fight!

http://www.screenselect.co.uk/images/products/8/30978-large.jpg

academic punk
06-04-2005, 03:51 PM
Oh, Ali is one of my top three heroes of all time, I love the guy.

but the sport had advanced...well, advanced isn't the right word...evolved...no...changed into something different from what it had been in Ali's day. terrible comparison, but I don't think the 69 Mets could beat even today's yankees (work with me, I can't try too hard, I just got back from chucking a frisbee around in central park)

In Tyson's style it had nothing to do with a "sweet science". And that's exactly what Clay was so masterful at understanding (as well as PR and image, but that's a different story). And I just don't believe that Ali could've beaten Tyson in his prime. I don't think anyone could have. That does not mean he was one of the best boxers for all time. far from it. I don't think tyson had any defense or stamina - as has been stated, if tyson couldn't nail his opponent early, then he would tire and slow down considerably. (he also lacked finesse, and control, as has been proven over time) I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of either of their punches - even today - but Tyson even moreso.

academic punk
06-04-2005, 03:52 PM
oh, and p.s. yes I'm aware that...this...is how you always type, but when I see it in a post discussing Ali it takes on a new sort of poignance!

POJO_Risin
06-04-2005, 03:57 PM
lmfao...

punk...

Tyson's fighting had everything to do with the sweet science...that D'Amato and Rooney taught him...

when it turned into just aggression...he started losing...

I remember watching a special on Tyson before he was BIG...when he was fightning on Friday Night Fights on ESPN...and knocking everyone out in the first round...

and they were talking about how his aggressive style was something that D'Amato put together watching Ali and Frazier fight...that he wanted a fighter that could utilize Ali's ability to bob...with Frazier ability to charge...

he just needed to find the athlete to do it with...

he found it with Tyson.

IF Tyson would have continued to develop in that range of thinking...it's my opinion that he would have become the greatest fighter of all time...

didn't happen though...

Ali would kill him...

academic punk
06-04-2005, 05:41 PM
lmfao...

punk...

Tyson's fighting had everything to do with the sweet science...that D'Amato and Rooney taught him...

when it turned into just aggression...he started losing...

I remember watching a special on Tyson before he was BIG...when he was fightning on Friday Night Fights on ESPN...and knocking everyone out in the first round...

and they were talking about how his aggressive style was something that D'Amato put together watching Ali and Frazier fight...that he wanted a fighter that could utilize Ali's ability to bob...with Frazier ability to charge...

he just needed to find the athlete to do it with...

he found it with Tyson.

IF Tyson would have continued to develop in that range of thinking...it's my opinion that he would have become the greatest fighter of all time...

didn't happen though...

Ali would kill him...

They may have taught him the "sweet science", but that doesn't mean he ever LEARNED it. the fact that he despite all of his training fought like a street brawler and would knock his opponent out in the first round - and the fact that as he aged and was no longer able to accomplish that and suddenly found that he had no stamina - is proof.

And he NEVER ducked in those fights early in his career where he would knock his opponent out in the first round - he just went in and achived the knock-out.

And, as you say, if he was able to duck like Ali and charge like frazier, then he would've found the combo and the skills to be a more acoomplished boxer than Ali.

the commentators can say whatever they like regarding his technique, bottom line is they found a guy who was essentially the Hulk - in both his size, fists, and aggression - and slapped a pair of boxing gloves around his wrists.

POJO_Risin
06-04-2005, 05:50 PM
Dude...did you watch any of his fights?

Did you see how many times his COUNTER punches leveled someone?

bob to the right...land a bomb.

Dude...I've been watching fights for damn near 25 years...and I'm NO boxing officianado...but I know what I saw...

Ali never ducked...Tyson never ducked...

if you duck in Boxing...a ham n' egger could knock you out with an uppercut...

movement...side to side...

Ali was a pro at it...

and if you've seen any of Tyson's fights...especially once he started fighting quality opponents...you'll see what I'm talking about.

HE WAS a more accomplished boxer than you are even giving him credit for. He wasn't just a thug...although you apparently want to believe that.

He didn't lose stamina...nor did he lose athleticism when he was in gym...what the fuck do you think he did all day?

What he forgot was the training. Watch his fight against Spinks...against Berbick and Thomas...against all those guys in the beginning...even against Douglas...his charges are calculated...always movement...head side to side...punches coming strategically...a body blow to open up the head for a combo to put him out...

then watch his fight against Holyfield...against those guys...he's just charging...

and Cus D'Amato wasn't a commentator...

Dude...like I said...I'm not a boxer...nor profess to be a trainer...

but when you watch the hundreds of fights in my life...you see it...

so when you hear it...it makes sense.

besides...if you don't think Tyson had any strategy other than thugness...you are helping my defense...more than your own.

say what you want...once Tyson lost Rooney...whenever he faced a quality opponent...he wasn't for shit...there was no movement...no counters...it was all offensive boxers...and the guys with chins beat him...

POJO_Risin
06-04-2005, 05:52 PM
Damn...I wish I had some tape so I could show you what the fuck I'm talking about...

I'm not saying he was as good at both styles as Frazier and Ali...

but he used both...because D'Amato was a damn good trainer...and because Tyson listened to him...and Rooney because he was a D'Amato guy...

oy...

POJO_Risin
06-04-2005, 05:54 PM
Going by your thinking...you are saying that Tyson goes into an Ali fight with no strategy or ring sense...and beats him...

OK...forget all I said...let's go with that...

because if that's the case...if you really think a thug without any strategy could beat Ali...

you are insane...

just ask Foreman...

academic punk
06-04-2005, 05:58 PM
Going by your thinking...you are saying that Tyson goes into an Ali fight with no strategy or ring sense...and beats him...

OK...forget all I said...let's go with that...

because if that's the case...if you really think a thug without any strategy could beat Ali...

you are insane...

just ask Foreman...

Touche. You should be a lawyer, mate!

POJO_Risin
06-04-2005, 06:09 PM
lmfao...

sorry bro...I could back either side of it to be honest...

I do think Tyson is more of a fighter than many give him credit for...

but the could've beens are painful...

he coulda been "The Greatest...."

freak
06-12-2005, 07:01 PM
An Easy answer to that - Ali.

Why?

1. Tyson is an emotionally immature, hot-headed mental midget. Ali would have sown the seeds of Mike's ass kicking long before the fight took place.

2. What exactly happens to Tyson when he fights someone with a granite chin, decent handspeed, great boxing skills and has no fear of him...This is an easy question...It only happened twice during his prime and it was the same guy...Right, Evander Hollyfield! Let's put Hollyfield beside Ali in terms of chin, boxing ability and heart. Ali is Hollyfield *cubed*.

Someone above mentioned that Ali didn't have punching power. Bullshit. Tell that Norton, Frazier, Foreman, Spinks, Liston, etc... Just because he wasn't a single punch knockout artist doesn't mean he hit like a f*cking girl. His jab was brutal. Look at the leverage he put on it and look at his opponents faces in the mid to later rounds. Only one boxer had a better jab - Larry Holmes.

With Tyson, it'd be a repeat of Ali-Foreman. Middle to later rounds, a swelled-up, frustrated and spent Tyson falls down - goes boom.

Shaun Ponsonby
06-20-2005, 03:01 PM
Ali, no doubt about it.

No-one calls Tyson 'The Greatest', do they? As a matter of fact, most people call him an idiot.

Jérôme Frenchise
06-20-2005, 03:29 PM
Ali is the giants' giant.
I saw all his matches in 1994 during a whole, long afternoon on Eurosport. My eyes were wide open from beginning to end.
He was always challenging his opponent, using his extraordinary footwork for some rounds until, all of a sudden: WHHACK!!!
Well, sorry, it must look like a summary's summary.

Tyson... No comparison. He hasn't got the 100th of the class Ali has (I know, that's present tense, but technologies got Ali into eternity, just like Jesse Owens to start with, Borg, Connors and McEnroe, Edwin Moses, Carl Lewis...).

Tyson got man closer to dog, Ali got him closer to human.

SRK
06-25-2005, 12:13 AM
Ali would have beat Tyson . Ali would have got into his head before the fight.......Tyson would have took the bait ... Ali would have tired him out by the 7 th round and then beat Tyson into a bloody pulp...

Tyson could not even beat Forman or Frazier in their primes...

Dave's Bitch
06-25-2005, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by SRK
Ali would have beat Tyson . Ali would have got into his head before the fight.......Tyson would have took the bait ... Ali would have tired him out by the 7 th round and then beat Tyson into a bloody pulp...

Tyson could not even beat Forman or Frazier in their primes...

true Ali would get into tysons head in true Ali style

thepunisher
06-26-2005, 01:30 AM
1. Ali
2. Rocky Balboa
3. Clubber Lang (in his prime)

Dave's Bitch
06-26-2005, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by thepunisher
1. Ali
2. Rocky Balboa

umm ok?

thome
06-26-2005, 09:14 AM
Ali woulda killed Tyson there wasn't any one around during Tysons
prime to challenge him there was in Ali's time and he smoked them all

bastardog
06-27-2005, 06:05 PM
Well...I'm not a boxer expert but for me Tyson in his prime would even KO Godzilla.
I was even thinking that Tyson at 38 just with a little interest would win the belts again........that til that last fight....he doesn't have it anymore.
Anyway I still love that old "Mike Tyson Punchout" Nintendo game. I don't even think that Ali would impress half the same way if he was the last boxer.

Bill Lumbergh
06-27-2005, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by thepunisher
1. Ali
2. Rocky Balboa

LMFAO

Ozzy Fudd
07-22-2005, 12:14 AM
Ali all the way ,That man was a true sportsman and a scientific fighter he knew what could get to you and used it to weaken his opponents his psych-outs sometime won his fights before they even began. i have Floyds Patterson Autograph on a boxing ticket somewhere. he took the time to talk to us about the sport when we were just kids on the block wanting to become Boxers .