PDA

View Full Version : The top 10 POUND FOR POUND Boxers ALL TIME

POJO_Risin
06-03-2005, 11:23 AM
I've got some guys that many of you think should be on the list...but aren't...

So let the controversy begin...

10. "Iron" Mike Tyson--55-5-2NC--Alright...when Tyson lost to Buster Douglass...it was an upset of mammoth proportions. He would have righted the ship however...if Douglass would have given him a rematch...instead of running scared...and facing Holyfield...who pummeled him. Holyfield was headed for the beating of his life...when Tyson raped the beauty contestant...He was the most feared fighter...maybe ever...when he was in his prime. Had he not have gone to jail...for what...3 years...my bet is that Tyson would be a top 3 on everyone's list...now...a shadow...but in his prime...top 10 all time...

POJO_Risin
06-03-2005, 11:31 AM
9. Thomas "Hit Man" Hearns--59-4-1--Hearns was an incredible boxer...winning 7 titles in 6 different classes. Had he had been able to split his 2 (I know he fought Leonard again...but that fight just doesn't count) fights with Leonard and Haglar...he would certainly be up a lot further on this list. "The Motor City Cobra was a mix of Haglar and Leonard, a boxer, who had power equal to anyone. His height and reach advantage really made him the great boxer he was...and he was easily able to move up weight classes to ultimately hold the light heavyweight crown in his later years (no doubt, had he have wanted, he could have been a heavyweight). A great fighter, pound for pound, who may be getting cheated for losing to two fighters who are arguably better than he is.

POJO_Risin
06-03-2005, 11:35 AM
8. "Sugar" Ray Leonard--36-3-1--Perhaps the smartest boxer of all time...and took lessons learned by Ali to demonstrate mind-play better than anyone. I think he's won in 5 different classes...and not sure how many total belts he's owned, but it's many. He wasn't devastating (although his fight with Hearns in 81 proved that when another proven boxer is dancing--like Hearns after the 6th round of that fight--that Ray could put a beat down on some people. IF Ray wouldn't have quit in 83 because of the detatched retina (most agreed he could have fought in a year with virtually no after-effects)...which led to a rather large cocaine habit from 84-89...he certainly would be top 5 on this list. He beat Hearns at his own game. He outsmarted Haglar (who was the better boxer...just not as smart), and he completely befuddled Roberto Duran (NO MAS...but many forget that Duran handed Ray his first loss...and beat him pretty badly)...so...8th isn't to bad...

DlocRoth
06-03-2005, 11:38 AM
Bored today, Pojo?

GO to work! LOL

DlocRoth
06-03-2005, 11:40 AM
Oh and if you post some up and comers, don't leave out my boy Floyd Mayweather Jr.

He will be, when he retires, one of the all time best.

I don't see anyone beating him ever.

Too strong, WAY too fucking fast.

Put the shoeshine on ya mama!

POJO_Risin
06-03-2005, 11:50 AM
7. "Marvelous" Marvin Haglar--62-3-2--52 KO's--Man...Haglar was a bad motherfucker...he scared me...and I didn't box. I have him rated ahead of Leonard, and Leonard beat him. 1. the only reason why Leonard won that fight was because he flailed with 10 seconds to go in each round, and that great 9th round. Bobby Watts was his first loss. 4 years later...Watts was handed his ass in 2 rounds. Later in the year that he lost to Watts...He lost a 10 round decision to Willie Monroe. The following year, he knocked out Monroe in 12 rounds. In 1980, Hagler had a draw in his first middleweight bout to some dude named Vito. After Hagler won the bout, he gave Vito a title shot...and handed him his ass in five rounds. His only loss not evenged in a big way was to Leonard, which Hagler still refuses to talk about, other than to say, "I won." Many agree. But had Hagler have stayed in the game instead of not fighting again out of frustration, he surely would have dominated the Middles for years to come. Leonard would have run from him...and lost to him eventually. Hagler defended a version of the middleweight belt to all-comers for 6 years...beating Hearns and Duran in their primes...beating Mustafa Hamsho and John "The Beast" Mugabi...

Nobody was a bigger beast than Marvin Hagler...and even with the loss to Leonard...is a step above him.

POJO_Risin
06-03-2005, 11:53 AM
Don't worry...Mayweather isn't on my list...but on my honorable mentions with a few others. Mayweather would be ON my list...but you never know how a career ends...so I'm going to hold off. I think that kid is going to be HUGE...if he doesn't have Roy Jones Jr. syndrome...and not find an opponent worthy...

POJO_Risin
06-03-2005, 12:07 PM
6. Rocky Marciano--49-0--43 KO's--I didn't want him in here...and still think that he isn't as good as some of the other heavyweights (including Tyson)--He could take a punch, and his general strategy was to take a beating for as long as possible while attacking the body of his opponant with thundering body blows until they couldn't lift their arms any more...then t off on their face for a couple of rounds until they finally fell down. It worked...but the guy beat nobody. He beat a 90 year old Joe Louis...and a 40 or so year old Archie Moore (who is probably a better fighter in his prime than Marciano)...other than that...the guy beat nobody. The Roy Jones Jr. of his day. But, I'll make all the Italians happy...and put him here instead of Moore.

POJO_Risin
06-03-2005, 12:26 PM
5. Archie Moore--181-24-9--145 KO--Screw Marciano fans...Moore was better. Sure, he lost to him as a heavy...and in his heavyweight forays in his late 30's and 40's...he got handed his ass a few times...but in his prime as a light heavy...there was nobody better...and many that ran from him...which kept him from holding the light heavy title for years. He was also stripped of the belt a few times because he was busy trying to be a heavyweight. He won the light heavy belt in 1952...and would NEVER lose it in the ring. He was either 36...some say he was 39 when he won that belt. Moore defended that title 6 times before campaigning for a shot against the 48-0 Marciano...using strategies that many still use to this day. Moore knocked down Marciano in the 2nd round...and many say won the fight right there. The ref gave Marciano a standing 8 count...which wasn't mandatory for the fight...but allowed Marciano time to clear his head. He survived the round. Marciano ended up knocking down Moore 5 times in the victory...Marciano's last fight. Moore fought a few more times trying to regain his heavy status...then defended his lightheavy title before going after Marciano's vacant title...against 21 year old Floyd Patterson...he was twice as old as Patterson. Patterson knocked him out in the fifth round. Moore had many more defenses...but was stripped of the belt because of inactivity in the division (Hollywood, and helping train a young up and comer named Cassius Clay). He eventually fought Clay, only to lose to him...but is the ONLY fighter to fight both Ali, and Marciano. Moore was eventually the cornerman for Foreman...when he beat Frazier for the title. A great...great fighter...who may be the best light heavyweight...no...IS the best light heavy of all time...and had have been given the chance in the 30's and 40's...probably would have had a belt for damn near 30 years...

Fairwrning
06-03-2005, 12:45 PM
Aaron "the Hawk" Pryor..don't you leave him off this list Poj..DON'T DO IT!!!;)

POJO_Risin
06-03-2005, 12:50 PM
4. Julio Cesar Chavez--105-5-2--81 KO's--Okay...my controversial pick here...but Chavez was bad ass. I didn't like the guy...but he was unbeatable for years...and not because there weren't guys to challenge him. He was something like 90-0 before he lost his first fight...and was definately aged by the time he lost to Randall, who he beat in his next fight. He didn't lose again until Oscar De La Hoya...whom he lost to again. He lost to Wily Wise...whom he later knocked out in two rounds. He won in 3 seperate divisions...super featherweight, lightweight, and light welterweight... Again, the guy was the Haglar of his divisions...but even more unstoppable because of the amount of fights he fought. He won a questionable fight to Meldrick Taylor...who was winning on all cards when Richard Steele stopped the fight with 2 seconds left...but beat Taylor later in impressive fashion. He fought to a draw with a scrappy Sweet Pea Whitaker...but beat all comers until age slowed him down. Chavez might not be many's favorite...but he surely was one of the greatest of all time.

POJO_Risin
06-03-2005, 12:51 PM
Pryor was great...but didn't the fucker get busted for coke like 12 times?

POJO_Risin
06-03-2005, 01:04 PM
3. Joe "The Brown Bomber" Louis--68-3--54 KO's--Let's start with the significance of Louis...who was the first black man to be looked at as not white or black...but as a boxer. And we're talking over 10 years before Jackie Robinson. Louis won his first 27 fights, 23 by knockout, with his most impressive victories being a sixth-round TKO of Primo Carnera and a fourth-round KO of Max Baer, both former heavyweight champions. His undefeated streak ended on June 19, 1936 when Schmeling, another former champion, detected a chink in Louis' armor: Because Louis carried his left hand low, he was vulnerable to a counter right. Louis in 1937 went on to beat Jim Braddock in an 8th round TKO, but wouldn't allow himself to be called champ (he said that Schmeling was the true champ, and he shouldn't be called the champion until he could avenge his loss). Louis would knock him down 3 times in 124 seconds...destroying Schmeling, and becoming a Ruthian figure...and crossed all color barriers. He would remain champion until 1949...when he stepped down as champion. Louis enlisted in 1942...and fought exhibition fights...near 100...before coming back to the ring...beating some notables such as Jersey Joe Walcott, before giving up the title in 1949. He'd won close to 5 million dollars as a fighter...and was loved by all. He tried to come back, losing to Ezzard Charles (his successor) and Rocky Marciano (getting knocked through the ropes, before retiring for good. He died of a heart attack at a young 66. No doubt, the Bomber was one of the greatest of all time.

POJO_Risin
06-03-2005, 01:24 PM
2. Cassius Clay--Muhammed Ali--"The Louisville Lip"--56-5-37 KO's--He's my number 1...'cept he missed perhaps his 3 prime years fighting the draft. The incredible thing about Ali was that he was hated early in his career...and now symbolizes one of the greatest boxers...and perhaps...the greatest humanitarian this country has ever seen. He beat Liston...when Liston refused to come out in the 8th round...or couldn't. He beat Liston again...with the infamous phantom punch in the first round...I think. Then defended it 7 more times before the Vietnam incident. He wouldn't fight again for 3 1/2 years...his prime. Ali would come back and beat Quarry and some other goof...setting up a battle of 2 undefeateds...Ali vs. Frazier I...an incredible fucking fight...and if you've never seen it...see it. Frazier was fucking relentless...charging and landing bombs. Ali returned fire the only way he knew how...massive and rapid cominations...that left Frazier's face after the fight looking like someone had clubbed him with a bat. But Frazier knocked down Ali in the 15th...and walked away with the belt. Ali won his next 10 fights...before losing to Ken Norton...but would beat him 7 months later. This set up a mini-tournament for the belt. Foreman had beat Frazier for the belt. Norton had beat Ali. So the four decided to fight each other...with the winner of the fights the undisputed champ. Foreman fought Norton, and destroyed him. Ali fought Frazier in their second fight. It wasn't as good as the first, but Ali won, giving him his next shot at the belt he lost in 1967. "The Rumble in the Jungle" "You think the world was shocked when Nixon resigned?" Ali said. "Wait till I whup George Foreman's behind." and...here came the rope a dope. Foreman slugged away at Ali forever while Ali leaned against the ropes letting him wail away. Foreman tired out quickly...Ali knocked out the undefeated champ in the 8th round...becoming only the 2nd fighter to regain the lost heavyweight title. Foreman essentially quit at that point. He'd come back and fight again...but was never the same (until the 80's when he was about 100 years old). The Thrilla in Manilla marked the 3rd fight in the great Ali/Frazier trilogy...and again...it lived up to the hype. Ali won the early rounds...doing a combo of the rope a dope and running combos that made him champ. Frazier took the middle rounds stalking Ali, and hammering him with hard punches. He took control of the fight, and Ali looked dead to the world. In the 13th, Ali, who looked like he could barely hold up his hands unleashed an unbelievable attack. Frazier almost went down...but didn't. In the 14th, Frazier's face was a swollen mess after the beating in the 13th. And he could barely see the several punches Ali pegged him with. Frazier wouldn't meet the bell in the 15th. Ali lost again to the 76 gold medalist, Leon Spinks (who was only 7-0 at the time of the fight), but would regain it again, 7 months later...to become the only 3 time champion at the time. He would fight 2 more fights (shouldn't have fought again), and lose both. 1 to the champion Larry Holmes (who had won the belt after Ali retired), and another to Trevor Berbick...and up and comer. Through it all...Ali was the best...but not THE best...he saved that moniker for another.

POJO_Risin
06-03-2005, 02:06 PM
1. Walker Smith Jr.--174-19-6-2 NC--119 KO's--This guy was no doubt about it, the "Sweetest" champion of all time. Don't know who he is? That's right, the Greatest according to Ali..."Sugar" Ray Robinson. He was the pink cadilac man. Even David Lee Roth has credited him...as "Sugar" Ray used to hire dwarf mascots. He was a showman...but most of all...a great boxer. The term, pound for pound best...was first used for Sugar Ray...the original sugar ray. He was 40-0 when he faced Jake LaMotta for the second time, and lost. They would go on to fight 3 weeks later...with Sugar Ray destroying him...and would fight 3 more times...and Ray would win all 3...and 5 of 6. LaMotta was quoted as saying later in his career that he fought Sugar so many times, he was surprised he didn't have diabetes. He won his first belt in 1946...which he defended often...in between exhibition fights. In 1951...he and LaMotta faced off for their 6th and final time...this time for the Middleweight title...it was dubbed "The St. Valentines Day Massacre." Anyone see Raging Bull? He took on a world tour...fighting exhibitions and world title fights around the world. He lost the title to a bum named Randy Turpin...for his second loss, but regained it in his next fight. In 1952, he would challenge for the light heavyweight title, held by Joey Maxim...at Yankee Stadium...in 115 degree heat. in the 13th round, Ray was ahead on all cards when he threw a big sweeping hook and missed...falling to the canvas. He had head exhaustion, and couldn't continue...and lost his 3rd fight. It was called a KO...and it was the only one of his storied career. Truth be told...he was never knocked out. He retired...but came back a year later. In 55 he regained the Middleweight title...the third time he won it. In 57 he lost to Gene Fullmer, but regained it later that year...for a record 4th time. He lost to Carmen Bassilio at the end of the year...but beat him in '58 to claim his 5TH MIDDLEWEIGHT TITLE! He lost the title for the last time in 1960. He would try to reclaim it several time, but either lost on points...or drawed his opponants. Sugar Ray retired in 1970...and lived a good life...his good friend? Frank Sinatra...and he was a member of the infamous Brat Pack. During his prime, he only lost 3 fights (before 1955), and 5 of his 19 losses came in his last 15 fights.

During his very long prime...he was nearly unbeatable.

He fought 18 world champions.

In the 1950's, a young boxer walked into his restaurant one day, and asked him for his autograph. Sugar Ray said no. That boxer declared that day he would win the heavyweight belt, and NEVER refuse an autograph. That kid? Cassius Clay. Ali would later say that Ray was the best fighter of all time, including himself. I can't disagree. Ray IS the best...pound for pound fighter...of all time...

academic punk
06-03-2005, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
1. Walker Smith Jr.--

YES!!!

You should've kept the mystery, see if anyone realized who you were discussing.

Solid list!

POJO_Risin
06-03-2005, 02:11 PM
I thought about it...should have...you are right...

POJO_Risin
06-03-2005, 02:11 PM
Now for the honorable mention...still think I should have left of Marciano...

POJO_Risin
06-03-2005, 02:26 PM
1. Bernard Hopkins--In my opinion...he is the equal of Marvin Hagler. It took him years to heat up...and even now...is disrespected. He's never backed down from anyone...and is an incredible fighter...with a heavy punch. He's nicknamed "The Executioner," and the title fits him. He's 46-2-1...and one of those losses was his first fight in 1988. He won the vacant USBF belt in 1992...and defended it 4 times...before giving it up. He lost his 2nd fight for the IBF title against Roy Jones Jr., in 1993...in which he got worked, although Jones has later said it was maybe his best opponent early in his career. He won the IBF title against Segundo Merchado after first fighting him to a draw in 1995. He's defended that title 20 fucking times. The best one I can remember was in 2000, against a guy I can't remember...Eichol? at one point Eichol actually bodyslammed Hopkins...and the ref was going to disqualify Eichol, but Hopkins said fuck it, I don't want to win that way. Hopkins knocked him out in the 10th. Hopkins won the WBC belt against Keith Holmes the following year. He's defended that belt 8 times. He beat WBA champ...and at the time...many considered pound for pound the best fighter...Felix Trinidad in his next fight, making him the undisputed Middleweight champion. Trinidad retired after his 12th round TKO. He's defended that belt 6 times. He won the WBO Middleweight belt from Oscar DeLa Hoya in 2004, and defended that belt twice. He's the undisputed champ...and is one of the great middleweights of all time...behind Haglar and Patterson for sure...but up there. Wants to avenge his loss to Jones Jr....but Jr. has fallen off the map after losing to Winky Wright I believe? Wright is set to face Hopkins after beating Trinidad in a comeback.

POJO_Risin
06-03-2005, 02:28 PM
He'll be defending the IBF 21 times, the WBC 9 times, the WBA 7 times, and the WBO 3 times...when he fights Jumaine Tailor on July 16th.

POJO_Risin
06-03-2005, 02:43 PM
2. Roy Jones Jr.--He'd actually be ahead of Hopkins to be honest. He's never had good opponents...but beats them all. His only loss was a disqualification to Montell Griffin for hitting him while he was down. He beat Griffin to a pulp the next fight...a first round KO...He's lost his last two fights...1 to Tarver...and one to Glen Johnson...probably more out of disinterest than anything else. If he would drop down to middleweight at this stage of his career...he could have several really interesting fights. I hope he does...but many say he is done with the fight game. Just not interested anymore. This guy was cocky...but for good reason...many gave him the best pound for pound fighter in the 90's. I'm hoping he goes at Trinidad...with the winner fighting the Wright Hopkins winner (if that happens).

POJO_Risin
06-03-2005, 02:46 PM
3. Joe Frazier--32-4-1--27 KO's--Smokin' Joe only lost to 2 fighters, Ali and George Foreman...but that keeps him out of the top 10. He was one of the true great heavy's though...

POJO_Risin
06-03-2005, 02:53 PM
4. George Foreman--76-5-0 (68KO's)--During his prime...he only lost 2. Once to Ali...then to Jimmy Young. He retired after both fights. He came back 10 years after the loss to Young to revitalize his career, and even win the Heavyweight title again against Michael Moorer, and had a great fight against Evander Holyfied. One of the most underrated fighters of all time.

POJO_Risin
06-03-2005, 03:04 PM
5. Evander Holyfield--The Real Deal is 38-8-2...it's unfortunate really that the guy is still fighting...because there was a time when he was a top 10 for sure...he's killing himself though. He's lost 5 of his last 8 fights...and lost or draw 7 of his last 9. Not a good ending to a great career. When he beat Buster Douglass for the undisputed crown in 1990...he was 25-0. He defended the title 3 times...before losing the belt to Riddick Bowe...for his first loss. After a tuneup fight...he regained the WBA and the IBF belts (Bowe had dumped the WBC belt into a trash can after he won the undisputed crown). He would lose to Michael Moorer the very next fight...and then lost to Bowe a couple of fights later. Most thought that he was done at this point...but...then came Mike Tyson. Tyson was KOed in the 12th...then...in the rematch...bit Holyfield's ear off. He then avenged his loss to Michael Moorer, and later, fought to a draw with Lennox Lewis...who later beat him. That's when his career should have ended. The Real Deal WAS the real deal...but he has to know when to stop.

POJO_Risin
06-03-2005, 03:10 PM
6. Floyd Mayweather Jr.--33-0--22KO's--Right now...many consider him the best pound for pound. Defended the Super Featherweight belt 8 times...before letting it go to move up in weight class. Won and defended the Lightweight belt 3 times. Is now moving up to Light Welterweight...and is in a tourney for the belt...has won the first two fights of the eliminator. He's fighting Arturo Gatti for the belt on the 25th...and we could have another Chavez in the making....am curious to see how far up he moves in class though...probably to Welterweight...

POJO_Risin
06-03-2005, 03:13 PM
There are many more that could go here..I'll leave that to all you fuckers...

DlocRoth
06-03-2005, 03:29 PM
I cant believe Gatti took the Mayweather fight.

Gatti is a true warrior, but if the guy's momma slapped his face, a gash would open up.

Mayweather is gonna kick his fuckin ass...

The blood will spill....

DlocRoth
06-03-2005, 03:31 PM
What about Jimmy Garcia??

Oh yeah, he got killed in the ring...

I always liked Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini.

Aaron Pryor was a monster.

I might've given Holmes a nod here.

Best fuckin jab of all time.

Although, I will say Poj..

I am impressed with your pugilist education

Any man who dont know boxing, aint no man.:cool:

Michael Carbajal, anyone??
BUWAAAAHAHAHA

POJO_Risin
06-03-2005, 03:48 PM
Gatti didn't have a choice...it was either take the fight...or lose the belt...

I loved Mancini...and will never forget when he killed Deuk Koo Kim...that fight ended the 15 round rules...and...if I remember right...Kim's Mom commited suicide after the fight...and maybe the ref as well...although that's hazy. Mancini lost like 4 or 5 fights to end his career. Haugen was in there...Livingston Bramble (hated that fucker) and I think the Macho Man...

POJO_Risin
06-03-2005, 03:54 PM
The Hawk...did he ever lose? I remember his war with Alexis Arguello...which I think was the fight of the 80's...

and wasn't there something about Pryor's corner using smelling salts or something to revive him? Either way..I think he beat Arguello again. A great fighter...that could never get...other than the Arguello fight...THE BIG ONE. Mancini lost I think before their scheduled fight...

and Bramble did as well...

POJO_Risin
06-03-2005, 03:59 PM
Holmes...loved Holmes...the Easton Assassin...

I wanted him to break Marciano's record in the worst way...but that fucker Michael Spinks had to ruin that shit...

I followed Holmes for his whole career because of his relationship with Ali...which was good. He singlehandedly carried the IBF title...but dumped the WBC title in the process...

He defended that title though 20 times or so...and held it from 78 until...I think..1985 or 1986...which is the 2nd longest heavyweight reign to Joe Louis. fucking michael spinks...the bastard.

"Rocky Marciano couldn't hold my jockstrap..."

lmfao...

POJO_Risin
06-03-2005, 04:10 PM
And as for overrated Lennox Lewis...

Title #1...the WBC crown...that he had to take out of a fucking garbage can...didn't even fight for it...and lost it to Oliver McCall...and no...I don't know who...

He sells his #1 contender's slot to fucking Tyson...who wins the belt...then dumps it again...and who's there to pick it up? Lewis...who fights McCall...McCall starts crying in the corner...and forced a DQ...given the title again...

Lewis later beat a used up Evander Holyfield for the IBF and WBC belts...

then he dumped those belts for refusing to fight John Ruiz...

then...loses to Hasim Rahman...beat Rahman...then Beat a past prime Tyson...Then he bitched and moaned and sued everyone...

then fought Klitschko...and the fight was called because of a cut...even though Klitschko was ahead on all cards...

and he retired...

Lewis sucks...period...

DlocRoth
06-03-2005, 04:20 PM
The Hawk...did he ever lose? I remember his war with Alexis Arguello...which I think was the fight of the 80's...

and wasn't there something about Pryor's corner using smelling salts or something to revive him? Either way..I think he beat Arguello again. A great fighter...that could never get...other than the Arguello fight...THE BIG ONE. Mancini lost I think before their scheduled fight...

Yeah his cornerman was stuffing SOMETHING up his nose....

Member Holmes' fight with Randall "Tex" Cobb??

Holmes beat the shit outta him for 15 rounds and Cobb absorbed every fuckin punch. Lost every round.

Cobb said after the fight that if it woulda went another 15, he woulda won it. Cobb...lol...best chin ever.

Now those 2 are best friends.

And Tex Cobb is a pimp.

DlocRoth
06-03-2005, 04:22 PM
Hate Lewis...

Friend of mine, who's also an "expert" thinks he's a technician.

Argue about it every time we watch a fight..

POJO_Risin
06-03-2005, 04:35 PM
Technician my ass...there isn't any of the top 20 heavy's of all time that couldn't beat Lewis...past their prime...

POJO_Risin
06-03-2005, 04:37 PM
Randall Tex Cobb...

and he acted...

what the hell was the name of that movie with Gene Hackman he was in and got blown up in...

Uncommon Valor I think...

and of course...Ace Ventura...

DlocRoth
06-03-2005, 04:50 PM
Yep... don't forget Raising Arizona..

POJO_Risin
06-03-2005, 04:56 PM
Oh shit...that's right...gotta rerent that...haven't seen it in ages...

talk about a tomato can...

Fairwrning
06-03-2005, 09:03 PM

that was the infamous "other bottle..the one i mixed" match...vs. Arguello..he came out like a house of fire and knocked Arguello OUT!!

definately something in that bottle besides water..but the guy was a buzzsaw..he lost once near the end of his career..he was 39-1 (11-0 in title fights)
coked up or not..a very bad man..

DlocRoth
06-04-2005, 12:48 AM
the baddest...

Ever see the HBO Legendary fights thing??

Pryor vs. Arguello?

A good watch.

rustoffa
06-04-2005, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by DlocRoth
the baddest...

Ever see the HBO Legendary fights thing??

Pryor vs. Arguello?

A good watch.

I dunno if it was that, or VH1/ESPN Classics...one of 'em busted out "No Mas" the other week.

I was about to mention Duran...he was a mean motherfucker....chile relleno's ruined him.

Matt White
06-04-2005, 01:09 AM
I agree with POJO's list,but with two minor exceptions:

I'd put DURAN over Chavez. Duran was the MAN in the late 70's. A dynamo.

And my #1 of all time.

THE BROWN BOMBER, JOE LOUIS.
Just a little more background:
"He was a world champion for 11 years and 10 months, after which he left his crown vacant. He set records for any division in number of defenses and longetivity as world champion non stop, and both records still stand"

And I remember he had what was called "The Bum of the month tour", fighting a different opponent every month for an extended period.

Grate list POJO!!!!!

DlocRoth
06-04-2005, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by rustoffa
I dunno if it was that, or VH1/ESPN Classics...one of 'em busted out "No Mas" the other week.

I was about to mention Duran...he was a mean motherfucker....chile relleno's ruined him.

He's in Minnesota right now promoting a local fight...

Dude looks like Dom Delouise!!

ROFL

POJO_Risin
06-04-2005, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Matt White
I agree with POJO's list,but with two minor exceptions:

I'd put DURAN over Chavez. Duran was the MAN in the late 70's. A dynamo.

And my #1 of all time.

THE BROWN BOMBER, JOE LOUIS.
Just a little more background:
"He was a world champion for 11 years and 10 months, after which he left his crown vacant. He set records for any division in number of defenses and longetivity as world champion non stop, and both records still stand"

And I remember he had what was called "The Bum of the month tour", fighting a different opponent every month for an extended period.

Grate list POJO!!!!!

I agree that I maybe have Chavez a little to high...and I'd even give the Duran nod ahead of him...but Duran couldn't go in front of Hearns, Haglar or Leonard...

as for Louis...yeah...he held the belt for 11 years...and gave it up...but...

his defense list isn't really what it's cracked up to be...when he joined the service...he fought hundreds of exhibitions that weren't defenses...and when he came out of the service...many of his fights were title defenses...

I'm not knocking Louis...as far as heavyweights go...I'd say he's #2 on the list behind Ali...but the 11 years is a bit overblown...