PDA

View Full Version : Most Americans don't approve of hetrosexual marriage

Seshmeister
03-03-2004, 11:36 PM
Divorce: Just the Facts

a statistical summary
compiled by
Mike Nappa

1) "Half of all children [in the U.S.] will witness the breakup of a parent’s marriage. Of these, close to half will also see the breakup of a parent’s second marriage."

2) From 1979 to the present, more than two million adults each year have gotten a divorce in America.

3) Christians are more likely than non-Christians to experience divorce. (Among Christians, 27% report they've gone through a divorce; only 24% of non-Christians report that they have.)

4) Among people attending mainline Protestant churches, one in four (25%) has gone through a divorce; twenty-nine percent of Baptists have gone through a divorce; and roughly one out of every three (34%) non-denominational Protestant church members have gone through a divorce.

5) Divorce in America is a $28 billion-a-year industry.

6) The generation of Americans with the highest divorce rate (37%) is Builders (people who were ages 53-72 in the year 2000). Their children (Baby Boomers and first-wave GenXers) have experienced the greatest parental marriage disruption in all of American history.

7) From 1970 to 1994, the number of divorced adults quadrupled, making "divorced persons" the fastest-growing marital status category in the United States.

8) With 27% reporting a divorce, Whites are more likely to get divorced than African-Americans (22%), Hispanics (20%), and Asians (8%)8

9) Between 1950 and 1980, the number of children involved in divorces and annulments rose 175 percent.

10) Since 1972, millions of children each year have lived through the divorce of their parents.

11) From 1970 to 1996, the number of children living in single-parent families more than doubled, from 12 percent (roughly one in eight children) to 28 percent (more than one in four).

12) Among the millions of children who have seen their parents divorce, one of every 10 will also live through three or more parental marriage breakups.

13) Studies in the early 1980s showed that children in repeat divorces earned lower grades and their peers rated them as less pleasant to be around.

14)Between 1970 to 1975, the divorce rate rocketed upward by 40 percent.

15) Sixty percent of black women who married in the 1960s and early 1970s had already experienced a divorce by 1992.15

16) Forty percent of children growing up in America today are being raised without their fathers.

The number of single fathers in America has tripled since 1980.17

Teenagers in single-parent families and in blended families (stepfamilies) are three times more likely to need psychological help within a given year.18

"Compared to children from homes disrupted by death, children from divorced homes have more psychological problems."19

Children living with both biological parents are 20- to 35-percent more physically healthy than children from broken homes.20

"Most victims of child molestation come from single-parent households or are the children of drug ring members."21

"A child living in a female-headed home is 10 times more likely to be beaten or murdered."22

A study of children six years after a parental marriage breakup revealed that—even after all that time—these children tended to be "lonely, unhappy, anxious, and insecure."23

Children of divorce are four times more likely to report problems with peers and friends than are children whose parents have kept their marriages intact.24

Children of divorce, particularly boys, tend to be more aggressive toward others than those children whose parents did not divorce.25

A baby born to a college-educated single mother is more likely to die than is a baby born to a married high school dropout.26

Children of divorce are at a greater risk to experience injury, asthma, headaches, and speech defects than children whose parents have remained married.27

People who come from broken homes are almost twice as likely to attempt suicide than those who do not come from broken homes.28

Children of divorce are about two to three times more likely to live grow up with a parent who struggles with alcoholism than children from an intact marriage.29

Children of divorced parents are roughly two times more likely to drop out of high school than their peers who benefit from living with parents who did not divorce.30

Girls from a broken family are twice as likely to become teen mothers than girls living with biological parents who have not divorced.31

Seventy percent of long-term prison inmates grew up in broken homes.

Ally_Kat
03-04-2004, 12:48 AM
it is my belief that people just stopped working in holdingmarriages together. At the first sign of trouble they jump ship.

ELVIS
03-04-2004, 04:18 AM
White hetrosexuals are destroying the planet...

BigBadBrian
03-04-2004, 07:14 AM
Trying to support one position by pointing out the faults in another is an illogical but often-used liberal tactic. Thanks for pointing that out once again, Sesh. :cool:

Cathedral
03-04-2004, 09:08 AM
Actually, this just reminds us of the fact that we are all born sinners and need the grace of God in our lives...

The inconsistencies are not in the bible, they are in the idea that we are wiser than the creator of all things.
The fact that someone claims to be a Christian, and then abandons the sanctity of marriage just goes to show how lost they truly are.

Jesus Christ
03-04-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Cathedral
Actually, this just reminds us of the fact that we are all born sinners and need the grace of God in our lives...

The inconsistencies are not in the bible, they are in the idea that we are wiser than the creator of all things.
The fact that someone claims to be a Christian, and then abandons the sanctity of marriage just goes to show how lost they truly are.

Well said, My son. Verily, it saddens Me to see marriage treated the way it is by the reality shows and by celebrities who measure their marriages in days or weeks :(

Cathedral
03-04-2004, 12:23 PM
Well i am glad i finally said something that pleased you.

I am cleaning up my life, studying the gospels, and doing my best to share my knowledge with those who need to hear the good news.

No more foul language, no more posting of naked woman, no more judging and condemming poeple that happen to disagree with my beliefs.....Just love, understanding, and someday, when i am ready, preaching to those in the congragation who are interested in the proven, documented truth.

It has been a long time coming, and i have been ignorant long enough.

Now Ford, do yourself a favor and stop logging in as Christ. YOU are one of the most biblically knowledgable people i have ever had the pleasure of knowing, in the cyber sense of knowing, and i'd like to see you in Heaven.....I'd like to see myself in Heaven as well...

Seshmeister
03-04-2004, 12:53 PM
Cathedral and FORD sitting in a tree.

K-I-S-S-I-N-G!

:D

BigBadBrian
03-04-2004, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Jesus Christ
Well said, My son. Verily, it saddens Me to see marriage treated the way it is by the reality shows and by celebrities who measure their marriages in days or weeks :(

I'll agree with you there, FORD. :gulp:

BigBadBrian
03-04-2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral
Well i am glad i finally said something that pleased you.

I am cleaning up my life, studying the gospels, and doing my best to share my knowledge with those who need to hear the good news.

No more foul language, no more posting of naked woman.............

Not looking at nekkid women is probably the hardest thing of all. :gulp:

steve
03-05-2004, 09:00 AM
You da' man, Sesh.
-s

Ally_Kat
03-05-2004, 12:10 PM
the thing with some of those stats is that they say the kid only has one parent. They don't specifiy why there's only one parent. A lot of people have kids out of wedlock. People also happen to die. So not all single parents or kids only living with mommy or daddy are the result of divorce.

John Ashcroft
03-05-2004, 12:16 PM
I'm my baby daddy, and I live with it momma. I married that beyotch 11 years ago. Umhum, I take care of my baby.