PDA

View Full Version : VHIII vs. Diver Down

dysfunction
06-04-2005, 11:50 PM
Which do you guys think is better? To me it has got to be VHIII. Cherone was energetic and lyrics were better than anything off of Diver Down. Of course that wouldn't be too hard because 90% of Diver Down was cover songs. Eddie was also ten times better on III. Thoughts...

Thorman
06-04-2005, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by dysfunction
Which do you guys think is better? To me it has got to be VHIII. Cherone was energetic and lyrics were better than anything off of Diver Down. Of course that wouldn't be too hard because 90% of Diver Down was cover songs. Eddie was also ten times better on III. Thoughts...

Ok bear with me....Diver Down kicked VHIII which totally licked..Cherone sucks and if you break it down so did the music from III..Some say it was somewhat experimental but in my opinion it wasnt and was really a poor taste in musical direction for ed....he and the band was messed up so how much blame do u put on him .....Diver Down has its issues (i.e the overall length of the record and the number of cover tunes ) but it does have some good songs...in fact, it is in my cd player in my garage and washed the truck listening to it today...i know, you guys must be in shock

bam

dysfunction
06-05-2005, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Thorman
Ok bear with me

OK bear with me. Diver Down was not a horrendous album. I like the cover songs, they are good. But there are just too many of them. I personally think the music on III was great. The best Eddie had done in a while. I mean how can you not like the solos in Year to the Day and One I want, even if you couldn't stand Gary.

Matt White
06-05-2005, 12:06 AM

This can't be a serious thread. You'd have to be tone deaf AND musically retarded to think that abortion they did with Ga y Cherone was better than DIVER DOWN.
Better lyrics?!? On what FUCKING planet?!?

Utterly worthless question.

dysfunction
06-05-2005, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by Matt White
Better lyrics?!?

Happy Trails or Ballot or the Bullet. Tough one, a fucking gay song from some fucking cowboy show or Ballot or the Bullet. I think I will go with Ballot or the Bullet.

Anonymous
06-05-2005, 12:47 AM
Ok bear with me....Diver Down kicked VHIII which totally licked..Cherone sucks and if you break it down so did the music from III..Some say it was somewhat experimental but in my opinion it wasnt and was really a poor taste in musical direction for ed....he and the band was messed up so how much blame do u put on him .....Diver Down has its issues (i.e the overall length of the record and the number of cover tunes ) but it does have some good songs...in fact, it is in my cd player in my garage and washed the truck listening to it today...i know, you guys must be in shock

bam

Whorman, quit your bitchin'. NOONE here is interested in what you have to say, alright? Your truck or your daddy's truck? How was it, bitch? Did he threatened to dry assfuck you if you didn't washed poppa's truck?

Piece of shit! :wow2:

Thorman
06-05-2005, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by Imapus Sylicker
Whorman, quit your bitchin'. NOONE here is interested in what you have to say, alright? Your truck or your daddy's truck? How was it, bitch? Did he threatened to dry assfuck you if you didn't washed poppa's truck?

Piece of shit! :wow2:

I cannot believe how mentally ill you are? You are a certified whack jobby!!
I could care less what you think asswipe...I responded to the thread in a very courteous and professional manner..I did not mention Sam et al....so f^$k off you loser...you are such a tard..what is your prob...you are some little shithead undoubtely who should be sucking back med's

loser

bam

Matt White
06-05-2005, 01:04 AM
Happy Trails or Ballot or the Bullet. Tough one, a fucking gay song from some fucking cowboy show or Ballot or the Bullet. I think I will go with Ballot or the Bullet.

"Ballot or the Bullet"?!? Wow! Terrible song. "Fire in the Glory Hole"?!? I'll pass. Terrible cd with Ga y Cherone. Almost killed the sisters career.
Utterly unlistenable.:mad:

dysfunction
06-05-2005, 01:08 AM
Ga y Cherone.

Hey now lets be nice.

Matt White
06-05-2005, 01:21 AM
Hey now lets be nice.

I was!:D

Anonymous
06-05-2005, 01:24 AM
I cannot believe how mentally ill you are? You are a certified whack jobby!!
I could care less what you think asswipe...I responded to the thread in a very courteous and professional manner..I did not mention Sam et al....so f^$k off you loser...you are such a tard..what is your prob...you are some little shithead undoubtely who should be sucking back med's

loser

bam

Like I said, noone gives a shit about what you have to say here. Courteous and professional manner? Too late for that, rimjob. You belong OUTTA here. My problem is with you and you alone. Get it, asswipe? Time to play the game, bitch.

Die. :wow2:

Thorman
06-05-2005, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by Imapus Sylicker
Like I said, noone gives a shit about what you have to say here. Courteous and professional manner? Too late for that, rimjob. You belong OUTTA here. My problem is with you and you alone. Get it, asswipe? Time to play the game, bitch.

Die. :wow2:

Your problem is not my problem. If you have a problem with me that no concern of mine. I am actually lauging as I read your posts..they keep getting funnier but you are running out of material

canadiandlrgirl
06-05-2005, 01:38 AM
"Ballot or the Bullet"?!? Wow! Terrible song. "Fire in the Glory Hole"?!? I'll pass. Terrible cd with Ga y Cherone. Almost killed the sisters career.
Utterly unlistenable.:mad:
that is so true matt...VHIII SUX!! DD is an awesome album:)

dysfunction
06-05-2005, 01:42 AM
Give Me Liberty or give me death

Anonymous
06-05-2005, 02:02 AM
Your problem is not my problem. If you have a problem with me that no concern of mine. I am actually lauging as I read your posts..they keep getting funnier but you are running out of material

Am I? Come here (http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22369) and we'll find out.

Cum guzzler. :wow2:

Thorman
06-05-2005, 02:07 AM
You are seriously boring me

monkeythe
06-05-2005, 03:00 AM
I actually enjoy the song How Many Say I from VH3. When the shit gets clogged in my system, listening to this song gives me instant diarrhea

SoldMySoul4RnR
06-05-2005, 07:38 AM

I'd rather have a big grin put on my face listening two four grown men goof around with tongue planted firmly in cheek than listen to that fuckin' politically themed shit-puddle of a song. Nobody EVER wanted to hear Van Halen talk politics.

If for nothing else, Happy Trail's is proof just how great those guys can harmonise with each other.

zeronumber
06-18-2005, 11:27 PM
It's hard to say what's better, cause quite frankly, if you look at the only 2 decent songs on VH3 (Being "Without You" and "Ballot or the Bullet") and you look at some of the original stuff on diver down(seeing as though, we must exclude covers, because technically, they're not van halen songs)...I think Diver down still wins...but not by much.

canadiandlrgirl
06-19-2005, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by zeronumber
It's hard to say what's better, cause quite frankly, if you look at the only 2 decent songs on VH3 (Being "Without You" and "Ballot or the Bullet") and you look at some of the original stuff on diver down(seeing as though, we must exclude covers, because technically, they're not van halen songs)...I think Diver down still wins...but not by much. actually that is where you are wrong....DD wins by a long shot but only a true Van Halen fan knows that...VHIII was an embarasment :rolleyes:

Matt White
06-19-2005, 01:07 AM
Gotta agree with ya CG, VHIII SUCKS ASS!:mad:

DD may have covers...but seriously, WHO has heard the original WHERE HAVE ALL THE GOOD TIMES GONE?!? It's essentially a VAN HALEN song!
Does anybody dislike I Can't Quit You Babe by LED ZEP because it was a cover?!? WTF?!? The BEATLES did covers you freaks!!!
When CLASSIC VAN HALEN did a cover..THE SONG BECAME THEIRS. NO NEED to hear Roy sing Pretty Woman. DAVE NOW OWNS THE SONG!!!:D

canadiandlrgirl
06-19-2005, 01:18 AM
Gotta agree with ya CG, VHIII SUCKS ASS!:mad:

DD may have covers...but seriously, WHO has heard the original WHERE HAVE ALL THE GOOD TIMES GONE?!? It's essentially a VAN HALEN song!
Does anybody dislike I Can't Quit You Babe by LED ZEP because it was a cover?!? WTF?!? The BEATLES did covers you freaks!!!
When CLASSIC VAN HALEN did a cover..THE SONG BECAME THEIRS. NO NEED to hear Roy sing Pretty Woman. DAVE NOW OWNS THE SONG!!!:D i never even liked pretty woman till i heard it by Dave
i'm even startin to dig the tune happy trails:D Dave da man

zeronumber
06-19-2005, 09:08 PM
Meh, it's like I said before, I just don't like covers by anyone.
Espesially since Everclear covered "boys are back in town"

Matt White
06-19-2005, 10:14 PM
I Can't Quit You Babe
How many More Times
Dazed and Confused
Babe I'm gonna leave you
The Lemon Song
Nobody's Fault but Mine
Whe the Levee Breaks

LED ZEPPELIN did ALOT of covers, and NOBODY cares! ZEP versions ROCK!

As did ALL of CLASSIC VAN HALEN's covers. DIVER DOWN is a BRILLIANT CD.
The originals are all STELLAR.

canadiandlrgirl
06-19-2005, 11:23 PM
I Can't Quit You Babe
How many More Times
Dazed and Confused
Babe I'm gonna leave you
The Lemon Song
Nobody's Fault but Mine
Whe the Levee Breaks

The originals are all STELLAR. i agree...but so many people don't see it that way matt... no one does a cover like Dave:)

zeronumber
06-20-2005, 12:04 AM
I Can't Quit You Babe
How many More Times
Dazed and Confused
Babe I'm gonna leave you
The Lemon Song
Nobody's Fault but Mine
Whe the Levee Breaks

The originals are all STELLAR.

Again, it's about personal prefrence.

And frankly, covers just goes to show how talented were the people who actually wrote and played the songs were...not the person who covers it. Van Halen doing covers isn't necessarilly bad, but heres the thing...When I buy a cd, I want original material... I don't want to blow money on karoke sessions with a wammy bar...

This is why I thought lowly of diver down, Crazy from the heat, and Diamond Dave.

Now, to be fair...it's best to judge an albulm by original pieces...and though VH3 had more...The few original pieces on Diver down outshined it in quality...

Again...It's not like Diver down was a bad albulm...But it sure as hell was no VH, Vh2 or Fair warning...that's for sure.

Redballjets88
06-20-2005, 12:06 AM
i dont consider diver down covers as cover because van halen made them their own. you dont hear them and say the original artists name you think van halen the second daves voice is heard or the guitar comes on. van halen made covers awesomely. no one does it better

Matt White
06-20-2005, 01:52 AM
Again, it's about personal prefrence.

And frankly, covers just goes to show how talented were the people who actually wrote and played the songs were...not the person who covers it. Van Halen doing covers isn't necessarilly bad, but heres the thing...When I buy a cd, I want original material... I don't want to blow money on karoke sessions with a wammy bar...

This is why I thought lowly of diver down, Crazy from the heat, and Diamond Dave.

Now, to be fair...it's best to judge an albulm by original pieces...and though VH3 had more...The few original pieces on Diver down outshined it in quality...

Again...It's not like Diver down was a bad albulm...But it sure as hell was no VH, Vh2 or Fair warning...that's for sure.

So, you're trying to tell me LED ZEPPELIN covering I CAN'T QUIT YOU BABE is tantamount to Karaoke?!? Is VAN HALEN doing YOU REALLY GOT ME karaoke?!?

How about this: In 1978...I had never heard the KINKS version of YOU REALLY GOT ME. So, to my young ears, VAN HALEN WAS THE ORIGINAL VERSION.
DIVER DOWN is FAR superior to ANYTHING Van Haggis ever recorded. FACT. The originals are FAR superior in both Lyrics & music to what came after with Spam. The covers are like NEW tunes, since, as I stated, NOBODY has heard the KINKS version of WHATGTG!
It's a losing argument.
Happy Trails? A joke, VH used to break into it as a joke live. It showed off their vocal harmonies.
DANCING IN THE STREETS?!? Okay...bad idea.
Oh PRETTY WOMAN?!? A PORSCHE compared to the horse & buggy the original is.
It's a very strange argument. As I also said...The BEATLES. STONES, LED ZEPPELIN, the WHO, The DOORS, Bob DYLAN, & MANY other bands considered to be THE BEST EVER all did covers...REGULARLY.
Most DID NOT do them as well as CLASSIC VAN HALEN.
The proof is in the pudding.

canadiandlrgirl
06-20-2005, 02:46 AM
So, you're trying to tell me LED ZEPPELIN covering I CAN'T QUIT YOU BABE is tantamount to Karaoke?!? Is VAN HALEN doing YOU REALLY GOT ME karaoke?!?

How about this: In 1978...I had never heard the KINKS version of YOU REALLY GOT ME. So, to my young ears, VAN HALEN WAS THE ORIGINAL VERSION.
DIVER DOWN is FAR superior to ANYTHING Van Haggis ever recorded. FACT. The originals are FAR superior in both Lyrics & music to what came after with Spam. The covers are like NEW tunes, since, as I stated, NOBODY has heard the KINKS version of WHATGTG!
It's a losing argument.
Happy Trails? A joke, VH used to break into it as a joke live. It showed off their vocal harmonies.
DANCING IN THE STREETS?!? Okay...bad idea.
It's a very strange argument. As I also said...The BEATLES. STONES, LED ZEPPELIN, the WHO, The DOORS, Bob DYLAN, & MANY other bands considered to be THE BEST EVER all did covers...REGULARLY.
Most DID NOT do them as well as CLASSIC VAN HALEN.
The proof is in the pudding. you tell him matt....you absolutley fuckin' ROCK:D

zeronumber
06-20-2005, 11:58 AM
Again, it's personal preference, hence the discussion of the thread.
You like covers, that's cool...Frankly I don't. It's a matter of oppinion.

Matt White
06-20-2005, 04:18 PM
Again, it's personal preference, hence the discussion of the thread.
You like covers, that's cool...Frankly I don't. It's a matter of oppinion.

I understand! like you said, "my opinion", and that's Kewl.

But, just think about this:.....

Every once in a while a artist will do a cover that so outshines the original that the COVER is recognized as the definitive version of the song. Have you ever heard the original version of "All Along the Watch-Tower" by Bob Dylan?
If not, check it out and you will see what I'm talking about. Hendrix's version is universally recognized as the "essential" version. And, I believe, CLASSIC VAN HALEN often had this result when they covered somebody elses tunes!

superdave
06-20-2005, 04:26 PM
I should have known--another useless SHEEP thread

canadiandlrgirl
06-20-2005, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by superdave
I should have known--another useless SHEEP thread
FUCKIN' SHEEP:rolleyes:

zeronumber
06-21-2005, 12:13 AM
Hey sheep are cool!!!

canadiandlrgirl
06-21-2005, 12:29 AM
Hey sheep are cool!!! then why don't you get back with the rest of them:mad:

Big Fat Sammy
06-21-2005, 02:11 AM

Every once in a while a artist will do a cover that so outshines the original that the COVER is recognized as the definitive version of the song. Have you ever heard the original version of "All Along the Watch-Tower" by Bob Dylan?
If not, check it out and you will see what I'm talking about. Hendrix's version is universally recognized as the "essential" version. And, I believe, CLASSIC VAN HALEN often had this result when they covered somebody elses tunes!

Some people are more wrapped up in "who wrote it" or some other ideal that has nothing to do with good music.

Diamond Dave singing "Pretty Woman"? I'm there! :)

Casemeister
06-22-2005, 01:48 PM

Sorry, but I can't agree with that...

The original is a classic. The VH version is a good cover version. I love VH, but the original is a truly classic rock song and most would agree with that. I'd say the original is the better song. But, hey, that's just me! :D

As for VH3 -vs- Diver Down, who cares? I love Diver Down and I love VH3. What is with putting Gary down? He was prepared to go out on tour and sing Dave's songs. Sammy wasn't quite as prepared to do that. Is it Gary's fault that Dave wasn't in the band at that time? No. The VH brothers chose him. Gary is a genuinely nice guy. He didn't even mind the fact that people wanted Dave or even Sam in the band rather than him. He tried to please both camps by doing songs from each era. Ed wrote the music to his lyrics. IMO, anyone who says Gary's lyrics are lacking hasn't truly listened to them or read them. The guy is a great lyricist. He's very different from Dave, yes, but he's still great. Ed wrote the music for VH3 to Gary's lyrics. Gary pretty much just went with the flow because, hey, he was working with EVH. That's the impression I get, anyway.

I'd just like to see people cut Gary some slack. I enjoy the VH3 album. The guy tried his best. NEVER, since the DLR era, had VH played songs like DTNA, Mean Street, or Romeo Delight before. Gary was not only willing to do them; he encouraged the band to do them because CVH fans hadn't heard those songs live in years. Sammy never did that, but Gary did -- yet Gary gets put down also? Hmmmm...

Casemeister
06-22-2005, 01:54 PM

If not, check it out and you will see what I'm talking about. Hendrix's version is universally recognized as the "essential" version. And, I believe,

We really have different tastes in covers, because I have to disagree again (well, kinda). :D

I have never understood the fuss over Hendrix's version. I like it, yeah, but Dylan's has always been my favourite. Never have been a huge Hendrix fan, though. Why so many consider it definitive, I'll never know, but, again, that's just me! ;)

I will say, however, that I do prefer VH's versions of You Really Got Me and You're No Good, just so we can be on the same page about something here... :D (Not sure if you said you like You're No Good or not, but I am assuming you do ;))

As for people saying they hate Diver Down because of its covers, I think many of them are just saying it because others say it. It's kinda like the domino effect. Does that make sense? It's like the saying "Dave's voice is shot." People who probably haven't heard Dave's voice in 10 years say it. Why? Some other guy said it...

Who cares if Diver Down is full of covers? It's a great album, IMO. The originals are great, and so are most of the covers.

VHdamaco
06-22-2005, 02:01 PM
dazed and confused was a cover?...

jesus, me am cuntfused now...

Matt White
06-22-2005, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Casemeister
Sorry, but I can't agree with that...

I'd just like to see people cut Gary some slack. I enjoy the VH3 album. The guy tried his best. NEVER, since the DLR era, had VH played songs like DTNA, Mean Street, or Romeo Delight before. Gary was not only willing to do them; he encouraged the band to do them because CVH fans hadn't heard those songs live in years. Sammy never did that, but Gary did -- yet Gary gets put down also? Hmmmm...

Since it's a public forum...I'll respond!:)

I agree, Oh Pretty Woman is Roy's song, no question. VAN HALEN did a good cover, period.

VHIII? Liked it better when it was known as WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST. The other? A EVH solo outing, with Ga y Cherone on vocals. Didn't move me in the slightest. I'll give him props for being a DAVE era fan, but I've always thought he was a cheese-ball, even back in the EXTREME days.

Matt White
06-22-2005, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by VHdamaco
dazed and confused was a cover?...

jesus, me am cuntfused now...

Page ripped it off NOBODY back in his YARDBIRD days. It's still a cover, though.

LED ZEPPELIN usually created original music & PLANT sang parts of various old blues tunes over them. Blues musicians have been doing it for decades. The only difference is---ZEP sold MILLIONS of records, hence the lawsuits. WILLIE DIXON did NOT write all those tunes. He had the business sense to get his name on the rights to old traditional songs that people had been playing for years!

kentuckyklira
06-22-2005, 05:32 PM
This can't be a serious thread. You'd have to be tone deaf AND musically retarded to think that abortion they did with Ga y Cherone was better than DIVER DOWN.
Better lyrics?!? On what FUCKING planet?!?

Utterly worthless question. EXACTLY!

BTW, what´s wrong with recoreding some excellent covers??

Sammy Who??
06-22-2005, 10:20 PM
vh iii is a piece of shit

danzig
07-18-2005, 05:20 PM
Gary Cherone has a shrill pitch to his voice and zero improvisational singing skills, unlike DD. VH 3 was truly an embarassment. Time for Dave is now more than ever..

VonHalen
07-22-2005, 04:51 PM
i like DD better although VHIII wasnt that bad- Didnt like How many say I at all, but overall not bad

Thorman
07-22-2005, 06:59 PM
They both suck..though if Sammy were on vocals the albums would have sold in the tens of millions...

BAM

purefuckinrock!
07-22-2005, 08:25 PM
Get RRRRRReal !!! The worst Roth-VH album burries any Haggar or Cherrone lullabies

StarJammer
07-22-2005, 10:12 PM
They both suck..though if Sammy were on vocals the albums would have sold in the tens of millions...

BAM

The syphilis has finally rotted your pea brain!!!!

diamondsgirl
07-23-2005, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by purefuckinrock!
Get RRRRRReal !!! The worst Roth-VH album burries any Haggar or Cherrone lullabies

very nice!

5 stars :cool:

purefuckinrock!
07-23-2005, 10:14 AM
A big thank you et un gros bisous...