X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SoldMySoul4RnR
    Head Fluffer
    • Feb 2005

Reviewer dude rips into Van Hager

Just stumbled across this review of Live RHRN, even though the guy is off on a few points (financially better of with Hagar my ass), its a pretty funny review. He really rips into Sammy, and is spot on in some parts.

But get a load of the cocksucker who writes that intro...he actually sticks up for Dreams' lyrical content. Loser!

• Panamark
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

For the clicking challenged :

Flying Shrapnel
    Hard Reviews for Hard Times
    Right Here, Right Now -
    Van Halen Live
    by Jon Reed

Right now, Van Halen is sucking millions of dollars from strangely willing consumers. Right now, Van Halen isn't really Van Halen at all, but Van Hagar, an abysmal marriage of a screaming idiot and a once-pioneering, now-complacent band of rich, unimaginative, resting-on-their-laurels superstars who have actually managed to convince themselves that they are better off without former lead vocalist David Lee Roth.

The maddening thing is that, at least financially, they probably are. Van Halen has sold more than 50 million albums to date, and their last three studio albums all went to number one. I have to admit it: this newly released, twenty-four track live CD will probably be as absurdly successful as the rest of Van Hagar's radio rehash.

It may seem incredible, but Van Halen wasn't always a predictable corporate rock machine. Fifteen years ago (imagine!), a very different band invaded album-oriented rock and gave American adolescence a whole new set of brass balls, or in some cases, ovaries. Acne was made bearable by the genius combination of Eddie Van Halen's exquisitely crisp guitar licks and David Lee Roth's arrogant, proud over-the-topness.

This glorious band used to drive the best home with a scent of danger and unrest. The Cradle did Rock - thanks to Roth's brazen sexuality, his off-color, sexist honesty, and best of all, the blessed humor and self-mockery ("Ice Cream Man") that kept the band from trying to be too important when they weren't.

While Roth did his thing, Eddie Van Halen nearly revolutionized modern rock guitar. That volatile clash of personalities drove Van Halen to greatness. But after recording the groundbreaking 1984, the creative tension snapped. Roth was kicked out due to "personal differences," Sammy Hagar was recruited, and Van Halen dove into the void they seemed to have confused with creative success.

For those millions who do love Van Hagar, you'll be glad to know that Right Here, Right Now features all the latest "smashes." As for the old die-hards out there, I'm sorry to say that classics like "Unchained" and "Runnin' With the Devil" have been replaced by post-Roth filler, the most troubling of which is the hit-singles-about-love trilogy, "When It's Love," "Love Walks In," and "Why Can't This Be Love."

In the now-irrelevant good-old-days, Van Halen sang about sex and partying because that's what they knew, but sometime after Roth was given his papers, Van Halen decided to get in bed with the Top Forty and sing all about love, a subject which they know comparatively little about ("How do I know that it's love/I can't tell you but it lasts forever"). The love trilogy acts as a romantic tranquilizer on the listener, who is then in enough of a dumb stupor to truly appreciate lead singer Sammy Hagar's "go-for-it-you-can-do-it" pop psychology anthems. "Dreams," "Right Now," and "Give to Live" are the three cornerstones of Hagar's philosophy of self-realization, which can best be described as "Don't give up, even though my lyrics suck."

Right Here, Right Now's other serious flaws include the extravagantly dull instrumental solos and the unforgivable butchering of "Won't Get Fooled Again," a so-called "tribute to the Who." They had no right. It's just as well that Van Halen only mauls four of their pre-Hagar numbers.

Van Halen's latest does have some strong points, such as its great live sound quality. And as much as I hate the haughty Hagar, he is a stronger live singer than Roth was. The best songs of the new lot ("Right Now," "Best of Both Worlds") actually do sound better than I expected. Even "Finish What Ya Started" has its appeal, mostly because Hagar drops his peace and love pose and lets out his desperate plea: "C'mon baby... I need some pussy!"

There's no denying the quantity of material on Right Here, or the intense, well-intentioned effort behind it. But I don't care what anyone says - they'll always be Van Hagar to me, a minor musical tragedy cloaked in massive album sales.
    BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
    Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• NATEDOG001976
      Veteran
      • Apr 2004

Fucking classic, I love it....Sammy should be beaten!
      http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/8...19yc8872wu.jpg

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5...0269il5.th.jpg

Originally posted by fuckhowardstern - dude - you sounded cool as a cucumber - totally relaxed and spoke with authority - must say I was a bit surprised but you sounded really at ease - super cool-like.

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra - nate, you are the fucking attention whore of the day and you DESERVE it

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise - BTW, bravo NATE! Soon Dave will mention the Army by himself!

Originally posted by franksters Have you heard Nate properly, We now moved up to an ''Organisation'' Awesome man!!
      Roth army....more than an army....it's a gr8 Organization!!

Originally posted by Northern Girl
      Nate, so cool. I'm listening to the Dallas feed, so it'll be coming up in a while. Can't wait!

Comment

Working...