PDA

View Full Version : ESPN rankings pulls out of BCS

POJO_Risin
06-08-2005, 11:47 AM
I don't think it's that big of a deal...it's not like people at ESPN had anything to actually DO with the poll. They just attatched their name to it...but don't want to have anything to do with it as long as coaches don't make their picks public...

and they are right...fucking pussies...

The AP dumped out of the BCS as well...earlier this year...

More reason for the joke known as the BCS to disappear...

ESPN pulls out of coaches' poll
Posted: Tuesday June 7, 2005 9:07PM; Updated: Tuesday June 7, 2005 9:07PM

ESPN withdrew from the college football coaches' poll Tuesday, the second major news organization to say it didn't want to be a part of the Bowl Championship Series' weekly rankings.

The cable sports network said it no longer wanted its name attached to the rankings unless all ballots were made public, not just the final ones. USA Today will continue running the poll, which helps determine who plays for the national championship.

In December, The Associated Press told the BCS to stop using its media poll in its weekly formula.

"Coaches have the perfect right to conduct their voting the way they see fit," said Vince Doria, ESPN's vice president and director of news. "We just feel, in our best interests here, we couldn't reconcile having our name on the poll and being able to cover any controversy that might arise."

Unlike the AP voters, the coaches' ballots have always been secret. ESPN asked this year that they be public, but the coaches agreed only for the final regular-season poll. Doria said ESPN wanted it for the entire year.

"We just felt that to be as ethical as we possibly could in this situation, that's what we needed to do," Doria said. "This wasn't a case of us questioning the ethics of the coaches or the validity of the voting. These things tend to create controversy. When there is some vetting to be done, it needs to be done thoroughly and we didn't feel it could be done."

Doria said ESPN notified USA Today and the coaches' association of its decision, but not the BCS.

"There will still be a coaches' poll, and it will be used by the BCS, but we don't have a comment on ESPN's decision," said Bob Burda, spokesman for BCS coordinator Kevin Weiberg.

The AP poll and the ESPN/USA Today coaches' poll had been the major components of the BCS rankings.

However, the AP said such use was never sanctioned and had reached the point where it threatened to undermine the independence and integrity of its poll.

ESPN had sponsored the coaches' poll with USA Today since 1997.

Doria said the network became uncomfortable last season, when California lost a shot at a major bowl after dropping in the final coaches' poll, causing a public outcry and debate among fans.

The Golden Bears finished fourth in the coaches' poll, but six coaches dropped them below No. 6 on the final ballots -- four at No. 7 and two in the eighth slot. In the previous week's poll, nobody picked Cal lower than sixth.

The final vote came after Cal's 26-16 win at Southern Mississippi -- a close game, but a tough road contest that wasn't in doubt in the final minutes.

The drop cost Cal its first Rose Bowl bid in 45 years. The Golden Bears instead went to the less glamorous Holiday Bowl while Texas got into the Rose Bowl.

"In essence, that was really the determining factor," Doria said. "The poll was more than something that is there primarily for fans to discuss and debate. It was a determinant element in the BCS poll."

Monte Lorell, managing editor for sports at USA Today, said he was surprised at ESPN's decision.

"As recently as a week or so ago, my understanding was that if the coaches were to move to the level of transparency that ultimately they did, that that would satisfy ESPN," Lorell said.

In November, the BCS signed a four-year deal with Fox to televise the Sugar, Fiesta and Orange bowls from 2007-10 and the national title game from 2007-09. The Rose Bowl has its own television deal with ABC.

"Our BCS interest is focused only on our TV coverage, which begins in January of 2007," Fox spokesman Dan Bell said.

Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

redblkwht
06-11-2005, 11:51 PM
Bro, tell us how you really feel..LMFAO!

espn made a good move.

Rebel
06-14-2005, 02:44 PM
The AP pulling out hurt the validity of the BCS no doubt, losing the ESPN name was basically just that, a name. I'm getting a bit tired of the debate, NCAA wants bowls (big sponsers), and fans (most fans anyway) want a playoff.

I'd like to keep the bowls, just let me pick #1 and #2, I can get it the fuck right. Here's my picks:

SEC: Tennessee (unfortuantley)
Big Ten: Iowa
Big 12: Texas
Big East: Louisville
PAC-10: USC
ACC: V Tech
MW: Air Force (that's right!)
CUSA: Southern Miss

Rest of the conferences really don't matter lol.

POJO_Risin
06-14-2005, 02:46 PM
The Big 10 is going to be fucking brutal this year...at least we all get to play Penn State once...;)

Rebel
06-14-2005, 02:50 PM
Penn State won't be any joke. The only really "soft" teams in the Big 10 would be Illinois, Indiana, and NW.

I'm calling it right now, Sept 8, OSU gets thumped by TX at the Shoe.

Redballjets88
06-14-2005, 02:50 PM
u forgot sunbelt...but that will go to UNT as always....i really hope texas pulls off the Big 12...it will be hard though its a touch shecdule going throught Texas Tech A&M OU OSU and of course baylor (jk about baylor)

Redballjets88
06-14-2005, 02:51 PM
Ohio State will lose to Texas in week 3 also...i hope....and hopefully Bama will kick ass

Rebel
06-14-2005, 02:52 PM
Is this gonna be the year jackass Mack Brown finally beats OK? I swear, if they don't do it this year, ain't gonna happen.

OK doesn't have a QB, since Jason White used up his 18 years of eligibility.

Redballjets88
06-14-2005, 02:55 PM
yeah white was ridculous and OU's o-line is gone they only have like 8 returning starters this will be Texases year as long as the dont choke....(which i expect)

National Championship- Texas - USC

Rebel
06-14-2005, 02:55 PM
I can't wait for FL and USC to get it on, should be funny watching Spurrier get his ass kicked by his boys. Of course, Leak running that spread option could be ugly.

Rebel
06-14-2005, 02:57 PM
It's all gonna come down to Young for Texas. He could be the best QB in the history of the school, he's just gotta settle down. He got to learn to push the ball downfield, those 5 yard dink and dunk throws ain't gonna cut it against the big boys. He's got wheels though, no doubt about that.

Redballjets88
06-14-2005, 02:59 PM
yeah i dunno if he can top bobby layne as best qb ever for Texas but yeah he is an animal....i think ur right about Iowa there bowl against LSU showed me a lot about their character and work ethic....they have good recivers a good young OB and if they can have someone running that isnt 6th string they can easily pull the big 10

Rebel
06-14-2005, 03:06 PM
Yea, if you go toe to toe with LSU, your pretty tough physically.

Big Ten will be very interesting, like Poj said, pretty well stacked top to bottom.

Big 12 will be good, the North sucks, but with OK and TX fighting it out, should be good. I wouldn't be surprised if Texas A&M broke out and had a big season, they are set for it no doubt.

THe SEC will be good, but really, it's Tennessee and LSU's to lose. They have the most talent, LSU has some QB issues, will be interesting they're playing that true freshman by the end of the year at QB. Shula is on the hotseat, time to produce at Bama, if Croyle stays healthy, they should win several. USC will suck, the talent doesn't fit Spurriers style at all.

Oh yea, all you mid-major lovers, "BSU never gets a chance?!?" By damn, we're about to find out, they go to Athens for their first game, Shockley will go wild on them.

Va Beach VH Fan
06-14-2005, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
The Big 10 is going to be fucking brutal this year...at least we all get to play Penn State once...;)

I knew that was coming, bastard....