PDA

View Full Version : Tyson vs. Kevin McBride

POJO_Risin
06-08-2005, 07:14 PM
I, for one, would love to see Tyson go through a 3 or 4 year run at the top...starting this weekend...I don't think it will happen though...but we shall see...

Tyson came out and had some wonderful quotes today...of course...

Tyson his old self, but has to prove it in ring

WASHINGTON (AP) - Kevin McBride barely had a chance to utter what seems to be the only phrase he knows when Mike Tyson told him how it was going to be.

This wasn't the new charming Mike Tyson. In fact, it sounded suspiciously like the Iron Mike of old.
"I'm going to gut you like a fish," Tyson told McBride.

Those were fighting words, and Tyson will have a chance to back them up when launches the latest comeback of his turbulent career Saturday night at the MCI Center against the unheralded Irish heavyweight.

Tyson hasn't shown in recent years he can fight like he used to. But for a few moments at Wednesday's final pre-fight press conference he sure sounded like he did in the days he was terrorizing the heavyweight division.

Of course, it's easy to sound tough when the opponent is McBride, the so-called Clones Colossus who seemed afraid to even be at the press conference, much less in the ring against Tyson.

"I'm a contender, not a pretender," McBride kept repeating, as if to convince himself that he does have a chance against Tyson in the scheduled 10-round fight.

A lot of fighters have a chance with the 38-year-old Tyson these days, as Danny Williams found out when he stopped Tyson in their fight last July in Louisville. McBride, who has been going to a hypnotist to get himself ready for the fight, doesn't appear to be one of them, however.

McBride got the fight because he was willing to work cheap - $150,000 to the $5 million Tyson will make - and because Tyson's handlers figure he'll be easy to hit and go down a lot easier than Williams did in his aborted comeback fight.

At the press conference at Howard University, McBride was virtually ignored until the end by a town enjoying its lovefest with Tyson.

Even the member of the Washington, D.C., boxing commission sitting on the dais, Arnold McKnight, had to tell Tyson that he loved him.

"I love you too, brother," Tyson replied.

McBride might have something to worry about since the same commission appoints the referee and judges for the fight, but few think the judges will have much to do with the outcome anyway. McBride may be big but he's slow and easy to hit, and has never beaten a heavyweight of any consequence.

About the only good thing anybody can say about McBride is that he's 6-foot-5, 275 pounds and holds the Irish heavyweight championship.

"A tomato can," is how Tyson described him.

While McBride may not be much, Tyson hasn't exactly looked like the baddest man on the planet lately, either.

He's been stopped in two of his last three fights, and once again has to be packaged as a reborn fighter who has rededicated himself to his craft to make people believe. He's got a new trainer in Jeff Fenech, says he has stopped smoking marijuana and wants to be the heavyweight champion once again.

"I'll go back and take what the people owe me," Tyson said.

Tyson was at his amiable best for most of the press conference, posing for pictures, making jokes, hugging the promoter and clapping for all speakers. He even applauded his ex-wife, Monica, who is now serving as a business manager of sort and will get $750,000 herself from the fight as part of Tyson's bankruptcy reorganization plan.

Tyson is making a $5 million purse, but he owes nearly $40 million to various creditors and will likely see only about $250,000 or so after he gets done making payments under a court ordered bankruptcy reorganization plan.

Tyson is in desperate need of a win, both to resolve his financial problems and to keep his career going. His purses are already shrinking from what they used to be, and a loss to another unheralded fighter would likely spell the end of his career.

Though Tyson has been in tough times lately both in and out of the ring, he still remains as probably the biggest draw in boxing. Washington promoter Marty Wynn said some 13,000 of the 17,300 tickets for the fight have been sold and said he expected to near a sellout by fight time.

Wynn said he had options for Tyson's next two fights, with one scheduled for November assuming Tyson wins.

"People call this a circus and some reporters call it a fiasco," Tyson said. "But you have to understand that these people aren't here because I'm a circus. They're here because I'm an icon, an international star."

McBride apparently thought so as well, saying that it had always been his dream to fight Tyson and now his dream was coming true. That dream actually could have come true last year when McBride was offered the fight at similar money but his manager turned it down because it wasn't enough.

"When the Tyson fight came up this time I grabbed it with all my hands," McBride said.

This is going to be a quick one...if I was Tyson's handlers...I'd let the fucker fight 3 or 4 of these fucking guys...5 million a pop....then go up against a contender for a 10 million dollar purse...and who knows...maybe he'll win...it's not like there's anyone of any consequence at the top of the division...

POJO_Risin
06-08-2005, 07:15 PM
Here's a picture from the weigh in of the 2 tomoto cans...

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/3675662_36_1.jpg

Dave's Bitch
06-08-2005, 07:54 PM
GO IRON MIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i hope tyson has redescoverd what made him the baddest man on the planet and a force to be reccond with

redblkwht
06-09-2005, 01:16 AM
Id laugh if he lost again to a nobody..

I would as well like to see him
recapture the crown, but i dont
think he ever will without rooney bro ;)

ALinChainz
06-12-2005, 12:21 AM
By TIM DAHLBERG, AP Boxing Writer
June 11, 2005

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Mike Tyson's career apparently ended in yet another shocker Saturday night when he quit on the stool after taking a beating in a foul-filled sixth round against unheralded Kevin McBride.

Tyson lost for the third time in his last four fights, and once again he faded badly as the rounds went on before deliberately head butting McBride in a desperate attempt to end the fight in the sixth round.

``I don't have the stomach for this anymore,'' Tyson said. ``I most likely won't fight anymore. I'm not going to disrespect the sport by losing to this caliber of fighters.''

Tyson was out of gas when he was pushed to the canvas as the sixth round ended, his head stuck between the first and second ropes. He stayed there for several seconds before finally untangling himself from the ropes and wobbling back to his corner.

When referee Joe Cortez came by to look at him, his corner told Cortez the fighter could not continue. Cortez then went over and raised McBride's hand in victory while he still sat on his stool.

Tyson, meanwhile, just sat on his stool blankly watching McBride's celebration, a white towel draped over his shoulder. When he got up to congratulate his opponent, McBride kissed him on the left cheek.

``I could have gone on but I thought I was getting beat,'' Tyson said. ``I don't think I have it anymore.''

Tyson was winning, ahead 57-55 on two scorecards and behind by the same score on a third. But the fight had clearly changed and McBride had taken over and it only figured to get uglier as it went on.

The Associated Press had the fight even, 56-56.

The 38-year-old Tyson was a huge favorite over McBride and won the early rounds. But as the fight went on, it was McBride landing the bigger punches as Tyson desperately tried to score a knockout.

Tyson was weary by the fifth round and, in the sixth round, he was penalized two points for deliberately head butting McBride and opening a cut over his left eye. The head butt came after Tyson appeared to try to break McBride's arm in a clinch like he once did against Francois Botha and after he hit him with several low blows.

Cortez warned Tyson after he grabbed McBride's arm, telling him ``I don't want any more fighting with the arms, understand?''

When the action resumed, Tyson then head-butted McBride, forcing Cortez to stop the fight briefly to allow McBride to recover and to penalize Tyson.

``He tried to break my arm and he butted me,'' McBride said. ``That's the rough stuff in boxing.''

In a career filled with tremendous highs and terrible lows, Tyson may have reached a new low in the loss to McBride, an Irish journeyman who came into the fight with no credentials.

Tyson (50-6) was a shell of the fighter he once was, throwing wild punches and trying to knock out McBride with each shot. But McBride (33-4-1) took the punches and came back with some of his own and Tyson gradually began wearing down.

The sixth round was bizarre even by the standards of a fighter once banned from boxing for biting Evander Holyfield's ears.

Tyson was clearly exhausted and opened the round by throwing wild shots. He then appeared to try to break McBride's arm, drawing a protest from the Irish fighter. Tyson wasn't through. He banged his bald head against McBride, prompting Cortez to take two points from him for the foul.

Tyson was tentative early, showing little of the aggressiveness that once made him a feared fighter. McBride stood right in front of him, but Tyson was content to land only one punch at a time, perhaps remembering how he ran out of gas in his previous fights.

``There's no rush,'' trainer Jeff Fenech said after the first round.

But it turned out there was a rush as Tyson faded just as he did against Danny Williams last July. That loss was blamed on torn cartilage in Tyson's leg, but it was clear even to the pro-Tyson crowd of 15,472 at the MCI Center on this night that Tyson was a shot fighter.

The 6-foot-5 McBride towered over Tyson and weighed 271 pounds to 233 for the former champion. But he had been knocked out four times by lesser fighters and wasn't expected to give Tyson much of a fight.

``This win was for the pride of Ireland,'' McBride said. ``I proved everyone wrong tonight.''

Tyson got some prefight guidance from Muhammad Ali, who visited him in the dressing room. But even The Greatest couldn't do anything for the conditioning and reflexes of a fighter who really hasn't beaten a top heavyweight since he defeated Razor Ruddock 14 years ago.

Tyson badly needed the win after being stopped by Williams, and vowed in the week before the fight that he would regain the heavyweight title. He told McBride he would ``gut you like a fish'' and claimed he was once again in top condition.

Everyone without an Irish accent was at the arena hoping to see Tyson show them flashes of the fighter he once was when he ruled the heavyweight division. But Tyson was tentative, threw punches one at a time and grew increasingly frustrated as McBride took everything he had.

Tyson was paid $5 million for the fight, which was on the low end of purses he has made in his career. After his creditors got $2 million, the IRS got its cut and his ex-wife got $750,000, so there wasn't much left for the fighter.

Tyson still owes nearly $40 million and there were plans for him to fight up to seven times to pay off the debt. But those plans didn't include Tyson taking the kind of beating that McBride was beginning to administer to him in the fifth and sixth rounds.

McBride was paid $150,000, the same amount he turned down last year to fight Tyson. McBride has an intimidating nickname in the Clones Colossus, but has been knocked out four times and has never beaten a boxer of any note.

One of those knockout losses came in 1998 in England to a fighter named Michael Murray, who won only one time in his last 17 fights -- against McBride.

Warham
06-12-2005, 12:28 AM
What I can't figure out is why most of the media thought he would win the fight.

I figured he would lose it in the fifth or sixth round, just like he did.

Nickdfresh
06-12-2005, 01:25 AM
He'll fight again though...

VHdamaco
06-12-2005, 02:01 AM
the admission that he was doing it for the money was worth the fifty bucks my buddy paid...

anyone see the nasty "accidental" headbutt in the first fight of the night? that shit mustve hurt like a sumbitch...

laila ali also fuckin up the women still...

VHdamaco
06-12-2005, 02:16 AM
also, i doubt he'll fight again...

the next time we see him will be in the obituaries...

jcook11
06-12-2005, 03:07 AM
Mike Tyson in his day was the BADDSEST MOTHERFUCKER ON THIS PLANET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,Sadly that time passed a long time ago.....For those of you who followed boxing Iron Mike was THE SHIT!!!!!!!!!!! It hurts me to the bone to see my heroe go out like a bitch!....

twonabomber
06-12-2005, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by ALinChainz
a fighter who really hasn't beaten a top heavyweight since he defeated Razor Ruddock 14 years ago.

remember the post-fight interview on that one?

"oh, he (Ruddock) hits so hard, he hits like a mule kicks...if Wazor Wuddock wants a weematch, Wazor Wuddock can have a weematch."

i think i still may have that on video.

i'm glad i was at work and not tempted to spend $50 on this. guess i'll catch it on Showtime.

ashstralia
06-12-2005, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
He'll fight again though...

or play connect 4 with frank bruno

ALMOSTsaved
06-12-2005, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by jcook11
Mike Tyson in his day was the BADDSEST MOTHERFUCKER ON THIS PLANET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,Sadly that time passed a long time ago.....For those of you who followed boxing Iron Mike was THE SHIT!!!!!!!!!!! It hurts me to the bone to see my heroe go out like a bitch!....

I concur! God, after following him through my high school years when he was the champ, it pained me to see that last night. It also made me feel "old" to some degree. Personally, I really think Tyson is suicidal after hearing him talk.

ashstralia
06-12-2005, 10:19 AM
"I'll go back and take what the people owe me," Tyson said.

seeya mikey.

Va Beach VH Fan
06-12-2005, 10:55 AM
Oh, he'll fight again, no doubt...

Very few of them can stay away, especially considering his money problems.....

guwapo_rocker
06-12-2005, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by ALinChainz

Tyson was weary by the fifth round and, in the sixth round, he was penalized two points for deliberately head butting McBride and opening a cut over his left eye. The head butt came after Tyson appeared to try to break McBride's arm in a clinch like he once did against Francois Botha and after he hit him with several low blows.

What a cunt.

bueno bob
06-12-2005, 12:29 PM
Mike Tyson's a fucking cunt. And a bitch. And a punk. And a whiny ass little twat.

Good fucking riddance.

POJO_Risin
06-12-2005, 12:31 PM
He has a 3 fight deal...so he'll fight again...

he owes something like 25 million dollars in taxes...

they may MAKE him fight again...

plus...his ex-wife is his manager...and gets something like 175,000 a month...or some shit like that...

SHE'LL make him fight again...

maybe he should fight Robin Givens and her mother...that oughta get him some cash...

he'd probably lose to them again...lmfao...

POJO_Risin
06-12-2005, 12:32 PM
McBride is a terrible fighter...I can't believe he lost...even in the condition he's in...

right now...Tyson is an undercarder for ESPN...if that...

I wonder what the buy rate was for that fight...

Va Beach VH Fan
06-12-2005, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
maybe he should fight Robin Givens and her mother...that oughta get him some cash...

Ever since Boomerang, I've had a Robin Givens fetish...

In a Mona-kinda way.... ;)

POJO_Risin
06-12-2005, 03:02 PM
Dude...I'd fuck Robin Givens in a NY minute...

POJO_Risin
06-12-2005, 03:04 PM
Maybe this will help your fetish...

http://www.freenudecelebs.dk/nude-celebs-pictures/r/robin-givens-nude/robin-givens-nude-1.jpg

POJO_Risin
06-12-2005, 03:08 PM
http://www.all-nude-celebrities-free.com/celebrity/r/robin-givens-nude/robin-givens-nude-1.jpg

POJO_Risin
06-12-2005, 03:09 PM
http://www.all-nude-celebrities-free.com/celebrity/r/robin-givens-nude/robin-givens-nude-2.jpg

POJO_Risin
06-12-2005, 03:10 PM
http://www.all-nude-celebrities-free.com/celebrity/r/robin-givens-nude/robin-givens-nude-4.jpg

POJO_Risin
06-12-2005, 03:11 PM
http://www.all-nude-celebrities-free.com/celebrity/r/robin-givens-nude/robin-givens-nude-5.jpg

POJO_Risin
06-12-2005, 03:12 PM
http://www.all-nude-celebrities-free.com/celebrity/r/robin-givens-nude/robin-givens-nude-8.jpg

POJO_Risin
06-12-2005, 03:13 PM
http://www.all-nude-celebrities-free.com/celebrity/r/robin-givens-nude/robin-givens-nude-9.jpg

Va Beach VH Fan
06-12-2005, 03:17 PM
Christ, will you learn how to post pictures...

Rookie.... ;)

Dude...I'd fuck Robin Givens in a NY minute...

That's not saying much... ;)

POJO_Risin
06-12-2005, 03:21 PM
Would I learn how to post pictures?

What...you mean so the site downloads them...and eventually takes us over bandwidth?

And dude...you can say that after mentioning MONA?...

Va Beach VH Fan
06-12-2005, 03:54 PM
Would I learn how to post pictures?

What...you mean so the site downloads them...and eventually takes us over bandwidth?

And dude...you can say that after mentioning MONA?...

Well then, you're right, that red X sure looks hot... ;)

And what can I say, I've fucked worse women than Mona, AND YOU HAVE TOO...

So there....

POJO_Risin
06-12-2005, 04:05 PM
I've fucked some ugly women...

I won't deny it...

but at least I could tell they were women!

Mona looks like a DUDE!

Va Beach VH Fan
06-12-2005, 04:12 PM
You could have something...

I haven't been close enough to check the adam's apple... ;)

POJO_Risin
06-12-2005, 04:55 PM
and there you go...

and if you ever GET close enough...

don't tell...either way...