PDA

View Full Version : Is it me or...

Big Troubles
06-10-2005, 05:53 PM
does Curt Mitchell, make playing like Ed Van Halen too fucking easy?

I must've watched it a 100 times now. and Im still on lesson #3. :D

Big Troubles
06-10-2005, 05:54 PM
and is this conversation worthy of a thread?

Big Troubles
06-10-2005, 05:55 PM
probably not. But still more enjoyable than "Sammy sucks- Dave rocks"
threads.

Big Troubles
06-10-2005, 05:56 PM
The bigger question is Does this belong in Gear Street?

Big Troubles
06-10-2005, 05:56 PM
Discuss...

Big Troubles
06-10-2005, 05:57 PM
Or....

Big Troubles
06-10-2005, 05:57 PM
either way I think the thread will now be moved. :D

Nitro Express
06-10-2005, 09:10 PM
If I manage to master the whole Curt Mitchell's "In the style of Van Halen" instructional video do I get that piece of pussy as a prize?

ThrillsNSpills
06-11-2005, 07:27 AM
(note to self)
if thread is sinking throw a vadge in there with eyeballs.

:)

ThrillsNSpills
06-11-2005, 08:13 AM
BT
Try slowing the original recordings to half speed. You can use sound recorder on the pc and hit the half speed function Then focus on a couple notes at a time and it won't be overwhelming. If it's half speed, you'll get the same notes an octave lower.

Don Corleone
06-11-2005, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Big Troubles

I've never seen any of his vids so I can't say.

zeronumber
06-11-2005, 11:48 AM

Definately. That's what I hate about instructional tapes though...People who tell you "All you have to do, is pull off and hammer on 64 notes in succession, it's nothing really, like this..."

Like anybody is going to get that down, just like that...
I think they should put these videos on Mag rack though.

and is this conversation worthy of a thread?
Well, yes. Doesn't matter now anyway, since you did make a thread about it...lol.

probably not. But still more enjoyable than "Sammy sucks- Dave rocks"
threads.

Indeed.

I don't see why not, after all, this is the place for music, and musical instruction right? And these are instructional vid's were talking about, so, I think it belongs here.

either way I think the thread will now be moved.

If anything, this bitch should be stickied...or put in the Romper room...both of which are kick ass ideas.

Don Corleone
06-11-2005, 12:50 PM

I think it does, yes. This is about an instructional vid, so it belongs.

Hardrock69
06-11-2005, 07:14 PM
Yeah the Ynwie Malmsteen video I have seen he is like "here it is at slow speed" and he plays a line that takes 30 seconds to play at that speed, then he goes "Ok I am going to play it at normal speed now" and he plays the riff in 3 seconds....

Big Troubles
06-12-2005, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by ThrillsNSpills
BT
Try slowing the original recordings to half speed. You can use sound recorder on the pc and hit the half speed function Then focus on a couple notes at a time and it won't be overwhelming. If it's half speed, you'll get the same notes an octave lower.

My buddy told me that too... slow the vid down and learn piece by piece. Its funny, when Mitchell does the lesson... say lesson #1, which I believe is the solo from RWD... He'll do it like Ed does it. Normal, but quick speed. Then he says "I'll slow it down for ya". I thinking RIGHT ON! He slows it down, but its still a very smooth, quick shot of his finger work on the neck. They should show it 3 times. One full speed. One slow on the neck, the last one slow on a wide shot.
LOL then maybe a little slower. :D

Big Troubles
06-12-2005, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by zeronumber
Definately. That's what I hate about instructional tapes though...People who tell you "All you have to do, is pull off and hammer on 64 notes in succession, it's nothing really, like this..."

Like anybody is going to get that down, just like that...
I think they should put these videos on Mag rack though.

Well, yes. Doesn't matter now anyway, since you did make a thread about it...lol.

Indeed.

I don't see why not, after all, this is the place for music, and musical instruction right? And these are instructional vid's were talking about, so, I think it belongs here.

If anything, this bitch should be stickied...or put in the Romper room...both of which are kick ass ideas.

None of my threads are stickied. The Mods are sickied of BT trying to sticky. :D 7000 posts later, ya think Id get some sort of sticky. And no not that kind of sticky Flappo, put it away. ;)

Big Troubles
06-12-2005, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
Yeah the Ynwie Malmsteen video I have seen he is like "here it is at slow speed" and he plays a line that takes 30 seconds to play at that speed, then he goes "Ok I am going to play it at normal speed now" and he plays the riff in 3 seconds....

I have not seen the Malmsteen one. I imagine that's in super silly speed mode though. I have Hendrix, Van Halen, Zakk Wylde's(which I reccomend) Eric Johnson and a short 20 lesson episode with jake E Lee. (not bad)

Big Troubles
06-12-2005, 08:39 AM
I worked all day yesterday in this fucking crazy heat 30c, 40c Humidity, I come home pick up the guitar and three, yes ONLY 3 solos later, (Ice Cream Man w/ a dunlop wah, Ozzy's Bark at the Moon and Ozzy's Crazy Train) and I was shaking so bad. I had to put it away. No energy or something. Hands were trembling. I was exhausted. My point is, How in the fuck can these pro's hit the stage for 2 hours plus, with hotter temps without falling apart? Damn.

guwapo_rocker
06-12-2005, 01:46 PM
Fuck you're slow!!:D

Big Troubles
06-12-2005, 07:01 PM
;) slow... or cautious? always be weary of the cautious ones.

Panamark
06-12-2005, 08:23 PM

So your sarcasm is obviously saying the tape sucks ??

Big Troubles
06-15-2005, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Panamark
So your sarcasm is obviously saying the tape sucks ??

Nope. The tape is fine. I suck.

Nitro Express
06-16-2005, 03:17 AM
All I ever used Curt Mitchell for was a sound refference. I don't even watch what he's doing with his fingers. I just use the tabliture.

My sister in-law drove me nuts. She's learning guitar and she wanted to learn some rock songs. I thought Led Zeppelins "Heartbreaker" is pretty good for beginers. The riff is catchy and not too hard to play. I showed her how it's done and gave her the notation and tabliture. She plays piano very well and knows how to read music but she wanted me to play the song over and over and over. It was starting to drive me nuts. I told her, it's all written down. Read the music! She just told me she doesn't like to learn that way.

Panamark
06-17-2005, 04:28 AM
I wouldnt like to learn that way either..

If I read TAB it takes me an hour to work out shit that takes
five minutes by ear..

ThrillsNSpills
06-17-2005, 05:07 AM
Gotta agree with PMark BT.
I've seen the Curt Mitchell vids and you are getting someone else's interpretation of Ed's stuff and if not detail oriented then the moves won't be 100%. They'll be close though.
It's better to develop your ear. It's like the analogy of giving a man a fish and teaching him to fish imo
There's a picking exercise or two to get you through the rough spots .
As long as you're having fun with it you'll keep going. it's easy to get overwhelmed though watching someone blaze through it like it's nothing though. I think we can all relate to that at one point.

DeadOrAlive
06-17-2005, 05:29 AM
I've gotten to the point where I can look at the tab and have the guitar part playing in my head while i read it... Is that good? haha

BrownSound1
06-18-2005, 06:19 PM
I never bothered with those videos...all of the ones I actually watched sucked monkey balls.

I do look at tabs from time to time, but I've never had to use them to learn an entire song...only as a reference to specific parts...and usually to double check that I'm correct in what I have already learned by listening. You have to be careful with tabs, because they are sometimes dead wrong. Maybe not so much in the wrong notes, but a lot of time they'll have you playing in the wrong position...I've seen that many times. Playing in the proper position is VERY important if you are trying to tonally emulate what that player is doing. When possible I try to check out actual live footage to verify it against what is written down.

Terry
06-18-2005, 09:58 PM
Got both of his vids, along with a vid of him doing it In The Style of The Who, for a birthday present several years ago.

He definitely makes it look easy. Watching that guy, though, was kinda weird, because he obviously has studied Ed's style so much that I'd be willing to bet he's just a sort of out-of-date Eddie clone. If you've played long enough, all you really need is the tab. When I do cover tunes, far as the solo goes I'll figure out by ear or get the tab for them, but will only reproduce maybe half of the original solo at best. Something like Running With The Devil or Jamie's Cryin', where the solo is very distinctive, I'll do note-for-note, but wouldn't even bother trying to replicate the solo for, say, Sinner's Swing note-for-note. Would rather just throw my own thing in there.

Picked up 3 tab books for CVH about 4 years ago, with each book tabbing the songs on two CVH albums. Found those to be much more useful than the vids. Throwing in Eddie-isms into my own playing is something I've been shying away from. Got rid of my bar a while ago, and don't even bother with two-handed tapping anymore. It's kinda boring.

Big Troubles
06-19-2005, 06:26 PM
Thanks guys, very helpful. I always kind of knew to use more ears more than my eyes... well at least that what seems to come natural. But I cant help but feel like Id learn faster, or smoother doing more tab study work or watching vids of pro's. I was talking to a guy that plays the local club here. Self taught, 7 years now. Plays great. Taught himself on acoustic first then made an easy move to electric. Ive never played acoustic myself, but I wonder now if it's easier to play electric once you've gotten a feel for acoustic.

But most importantly I do know, if it sounds good to me, and Im having a blast, then Ive already won the battle. To me, now it's just time-

zeronumber
06-19-2005, 09:29 PM
Speaking of time, when is this shit going to be stickied?

Don Corleone
06-20-2005, 02:16 AM
It's not. There are no stickies in this forum, a thread sinks or swims on it's own.

Big Troubles
06-20-2005, 08:35 AM
no stickies in this forum? LOL Oh... ok....? well we'll be "ok" without it stickied.

Don Corleone
06-20-2005, 02:47 PM

Nitro Express
06-20-2005, 04:15 PM
Notation is a tool. Tabliture is a tool. Having good ears is wonderful. We all learn different. I like sheet music. I get the song down that way and then I change a few things.

I can't stand to play solos the way Jimmy Page did. Too sloppy and sometimes slow. I like to jazz Led Zeppelin songs up a bit. Having the sheet music is great though. It's a baseline refference for the whole band. You can hand a copy to everyone, they can go home and practice it. You waste less time getting the basic song down and then you can customize the flavor of it.

Big Troubles
06-20-2005, 07:34 PM
I look at sheet music and I drool and slip into a fetal position. I instantly get frustrated. I use the ears, but I like watching the instructional vids just so I can go "Oh, so that's how you do that".

ThrillsNSpills
10-22-2005, 08:27 AM
Bumping for BT.

Half speed is better than tab and vids for learning plus you develop ear skills. shoot me a Pm if you're stuck on anything.