• FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Senselessbrenner walks out of Patriot Act Hearings

GOP Chairman Walks Out of Meeting

Friday June 10, 2005 10:16 PM

By JIM ABRAMS

Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Republican chairman walked off with the gavel, leaving Democrats shouting into turned-off microphones at a raucous hearing Friday on the Patriot Act.

The House Judiciary Committee hearing, with the two sides accusing each other of being irresponsible and undemocratic, came as President Bush was urging Congress to renew those sections of the post-Sept. 11 counterterrorism law set to expire in September.

Rep. James Sensenbrenner, R-Wis., chairman of the panel, abruptly gaveled the meeting to an end and walked out, followed by other Republicans. Sensenbrenner declared that much of the testimony, which veered into debate over the detainees at Guantanamo Bay, was irrelevant.

Rep. Jerrold Nadler, D-N.Y., protested, raising his voice as his microphone went off, came back on, and went off again.

``We are not besmirching the honor of the United States, we are trying to uphold it,'' he said.

Democrats asked for the hearing, the 11th the committee has held on the act since April, saying past hearings had been too slanted toward witnesses who supported the law. The four witnesses were from groups, including Amnesty International USA and the American Immigration Lawyers Association, that have questioned the constitutionality of some aspects of the act, which allows law enforcement greater authority to investigate suspected terrorists.

Nadler said Sensenbrenner, one of the authors of the Patriot Act, was ``rather rude, cutting everybody off in mid-sentence with an attitude of total hostility.''

Tempers flared when Rep. Mike Pence, R-Ind., accused Amnesty International of endangering the lives of Americans in uniform by referring to the prison at Guantanamo Bay as a ``gulag.'' Sensenbrenner didn't allow the Amnesty representative, Chip Pitts, to respond until Nadler raised a ``point of decency.''

Sensenbrenner's spokesman, Jeff Lungren, said the hearing had lasted two hours and ``the chairman was very accommodating, giving members extra time.''

James Zogby, president of the Arab American Institute, speaking immediately after Sensenbrenner left, voiced dismay over the proceedings. ``I'm troubled about what kind of lesson this gives'' to the rest of the world, he told the Democrats remaining in the room.

House "Democratic" leader Nancy Pelosi, in a statement, said the hearing was an example of Republican abuse of power and she would ask House Speaker Dennis Hastert to order an apology from Sensenbrenner.

link
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

They [republicants] really won't be satisfied until they have absolute power and authority.

They want a single party system.

Where, oh where have I read about this before.................
    Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

The story actually goes a lot further than what was in the AP report. Randi Rhodes had Sheila Jackson Lee on Air America earlier, and she said that Senselessbrenner was basically being a tyrannical disruptive asshole (my words, not hers) and ignoring all the usual protocol of a hearing that he, as the chairman was there to enforce. He was basically screaming his head off, out of turn and kept doing so, when several members of the committee politely reminded him that he was out of order. Then he simply grabbed his gavel, walked away from the meeting, ordered the microphones shut off (while Gerald Nadler was speaking, no less) and decided that the hearing was over, with no proper motion to adjourn.

BTW, Senselessbrenner is one of the authors of the Patriot Act. He's the last one who should be chairing this hearing in the first place, let alone making the call on what witnesses can't be heard.

Everybody should make an effort to watch this shit on C-Span tonight. This is blatant abuse of power, and the fact that it's being done to hide the truth about the "Patriot act" BY one of the bastards who wrote it, is completely unconscionable.

We MUST get congress out of the hands of these bastards.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Warham
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Mar 2004

'Power! Unlimited POWER!' ~ Emperor Palpatine, Revenge of the Sith

Comment

• LoungeMachine
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Warham
          'Power! Unlimited POWER!' ~ Emperor Palpatine, Revenge of the Sith

Wooooooop Woooooooooop

*** GEEK ALERT***
          *** GEEK ALERT***

Comment

• Warham
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Mar 2004

I'm just making fun of you guys having fits and spasms over this.

Maybe when you're all six feet under, you'll relax a bit.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jul 2004

That damn commie America-bashing Amnesty International.

Kill'em all, I say

We'll treat our "prisoners" any god damn way we feel like it.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jul 2004

I'm just making fun of you guys having fits and spasms over this.

Maybe when you're all six feet under, you'll relax a bit.
                Yeah,

trashing the CONSTITUTION is a fucking RIOT !!!!!!!

jeezus, if this shit was happening under a Democratic led Congress / Administration you'd be FOAMING AT THE MOUTH

ADMIT IT.

Comment

• Warham
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Mar 2004

I don't think the Patriot Act is a bad thing.

That's where we disagree.

Comment

• superdave
                    Sniper
                    • Apr 2004

People need to think beyond the lines of Democrat and Republican--I vote for who I like and trust--in fact I think they should abolish the current system, go more toward the Independents

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I don't think the Patriot Act is a bad thing.

That's where we disagree.
                      Certain aspects of it are a very bad thing. Even the ACLU doesn't want it repealed...They want it amended to prevent unprecedented levels of gov't secrecy.

And is it really a "Patriot" act? I thought is was an Antiterrorist act.

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Just saw this entire hearing on C-Span tonight. Sensenbrenner should resign immediately for his performance. He was a fascist control freak through the entire proceeding.
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• ashstralia
                          ROTH ARMY ELITE
                          • Feb 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                          Randi Rhodes
                          i sleep with news radio on quietly.

i now know why i've been playing ozzy all day.

Comment

• Stallion

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                            Certain aspects of it are a very bad thing. Even the ACLU doesn't want it repealed...They want it amended to prevent unprecedented levels of gov't secrecy.

And is it really a "Patriot" act? I thought is was an Antiterrorist act.

Gotta go with Nick on this one...

The secrecy of the Patriot Act is bullshit, and needs to be looked at by BOTH sides of the isle….
                            In fact the secrecy of the entire Administration is something I’m not fond of.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Stallion
                              Gotta go with Nick on this one...

The secrecy of the Patriot Act is bullshit, and needs to be looked at by BOTH sides of the isle….
                              In fact the secrecy of the entire Administration is something I’m not fond of.
                              It is, it's biggest critics are (real) Conservative Libertarians, not just Liberals.

I have no problem with facilitating (and enforcing!) communication between Federal agencies, but there is no way the Fed's should be able to collect and retain records on people with impunity!

Comment

Working...