PDA

View Full Version : Iommi w/ Glenn Hughs - Fused

bueno bob
06-11-2005, 11:23 PM
Just bought it, now listening to it - let's see what we have here...

1 - Dopamine:

This is unquestionably Tony Iommi! An absolute riff-fest to kick the album off. Of course, it's Glenn Hughs on vocals, so either you're gonna love the singing or you're gonna hate it. I personally am not a Glenn Hughs fan, and I don't care for his lyrics at all. It's got a great chorus, catchy and memorable. Good solo, the usual Tony Iommi fare... score=8 of 10

2 - Wasted Again:

A good follow up track to Dopamine; there's a distinctive contrast between Glenn's vocals and Tony's doomy riffing. Glenn Hughs is just trying to be too bluesy here, and with Tony's playing, it just clashes...the solo's kinda blase... score=7 of 10

3 - Saviour of the Real:

Very nice introductory hooks...Glenn Hughs' vocals are just starting to grate on me, though, and I don't think much of his lyricism...the riffing just keeps you coming back for more...Tony Iommi saves the day here, but Glenn Hughs just irritates me... score=6 of 10

4 - Resolution Song:

Pretty mellow song, for the most part...more of a Glenn Hughs showcase, I think...Tony Iommi is just the God of heavy riffing, but I can't stand Glenn Hughs and this is getting hard to listen to... score=5 of 10

5 - Grace:

Easily one of the heavier intro riffs I've heard out of Tony for a while - this sort of stuff I usually expect out of Cathedral, Electric Wizard, et al...Glenn Hughs just blueses this all up, and ruins it vocally, but guitar wise, it's exceptional...I hate scoring this low, but Glenn Hughs is just NOT the right singer for this stuff... score=5 of 10

6 - Deep Inside a Shell:

This is an OK song, but the chorus sucks...as does Glenn Hughs...Tony's great, which is the only reason it scores good at all... score=4 of 10

7 - What You're Living For:

This is interesting...kinda different for Tony...a bit more up-tempo than usual, and for the first time I can sorta tolerate Glenn Hughs here...I rather enjoy this one... score= 7 of 10

8 - Face Your Fear:

Classic Tony Iommi to start with, for sure...this is heavy...Glenn Hughs, I fucking hate you... score= 4 of 10

9 - The Spell:

HELL YEAH! The first couple seconds of this are just fucking great! Let's see what develops here...this could have easily come on the new Black Sabbath/Ozzy album...Glenn Hughs is a fucking fag...his singing aside, though, this is a really cool song, for sure, easily my favorite on the album so far... score=9 of 10

10 - I Go Insane:

Man, this is a great song so far, I like this even better than The Spell...Jesus Christ, can Glenn Hughs be any more obnoxious?...it's got a great chorus, though, for sure...very mellow, very chilled out, it's wonderful. Man, there are a LOT of changes going on here...very cool, great way to end the album! 5:48 into it and TONY IOMMI KICKS ASS!!! FUCKING MONSTER RIFFAGE!!!!!! :killer: :killer: score=10 of 10

Overall: 65 of a possible 80, a "B" across the board, mostly wrecked by Glenn Hughs, but well worth the purchase for the pleasure of the last two tracks - and to hear Tony Iommi rip the shit up!

rustoffa
06-11-2005, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
Just bought it, now listening to it - let's see what we have here...

10 - I Go Insane:

Remember that Lindsey Buckingham song?

:D

bueno bob
06-12-2005, 12:47 PM
Uh, no! :)

The only Lindsay Buckingham solo track I remember is the theme song from "National Lampoon's Vacation" :D