PDA

View Full Version : North Korea warms to Kerry presidency bid

BigBadBrian
03-05-2004, 11:43 AM
North Korea warms to Kerry presidency bid

By Andrew Ward in Seoul and James Harding in Washington
Published: March 4 2004 20:24 | Last Updated: March 4 2004 20:24

North Korea's state-controlled media are well known for reverential reporting about Kim Jong-il, the country's dictatorial leader.

But the Dear Leader is not the only one getting deferential treatment from the communist state's propaganda machine: John Kerry, the presumptive Democratic candidate, is also getting good play in Pyongyang.

In the past few weeks, speeches by the Massachusetts senator have been broadcast on Radio Pyongyang and reported in glowing terms by the Korea Central News Agency (KCNA), the official mouthpiece of Mr Kim's communist regime.

The apparent enthusiasm for Mr Kerry may reflect little more than a "better the devil you don't know" mentality among the North Korean apparatchiks. Rather than dealing with President George W. Bush and hawkish officials in his administration, Pyongyang seems to hope victory for the Democratic candidate on November 2 would lead to a softening in US policy towards the country's nuclear weapons programme.

But both Mr Kerry and Mr Bush are committed to North Korean disarmament. Mr Kerry, however, would renew bilateral negotiations between Washington and Pyongyang, while Mr Bush has sought to manage the conversation with North Korea through multilateral talks. Mr Kerry has also been more forthright about setting out the economic rewards for North Korea if it disarms.

The Bush administration appears in no hurry to tackle the North Korea issue before the election, aware that a US compromise with Pyongyang would represent an embarrassing climbdown, while confrontation would risk a bloody - and electorally disastrous - war.

If North Korea is hoping that a Democratic victory would herald a return to Bill Clinton's policy of engagement with Pyongyang, then Gordon Flake, head of the Mansfield Centre for Pacific Affairs in Washington, cautions Mr Kim against expecting too much from Mr Kerry. "It would be harder for a Democratic president to do a deal because there would be a lot of pressure on him not to be a soft touch," he says.

Either way, the North Korean media is a constituency Mr Kerry could do without. Second only to the warm words Mr Kerry has enjoyed from Jane Fonda, the actress and antiwar liberal who is still a bugbear of the American right, a signal of support from the Dear Leader will delight conservative talk-show hosts and Republicans eager to paint Mr Kerry as soft on national security.

A small group of Vietnam veterans has already branded Mr Kerry as "Hanoi John" - a reference to his antiwar activities in 1971 after he returned from serving in Vietnam.

Mr Kerry was first introduced to North Korea's information-starved people in early February, when Radio Pyongyang reported that opinion polls indicated he was likely to defeat Mr Bush.

A few days later, the station broadcast comments by Mr Kerry criticising Mr Bush for deceiving the world about Iraq's elusive weapons of mass destruction. Later in February, KCNA welcomed Mr Kerry's pledge to adopt a more "sincere attitude" towards North Korea if elected.

"Senator Kerry, who is seeking the presidential candidacy of the Democratic Party, sharply criticised President Bush, saying it was an ill-considered act to deny direct dialogue with North Korea," said the news agency.

Pyongyang's friendly attitude towards Mr Kerry contrasts with its strong anti-Bush rhetoric.

John Ashcroft
03-05-2004, 11:57 AM
If this doesn't illustrate you who to vote for, I don't know what will.

Jesus Christ
03-05-2004, 12:53 PM
Verily, I am glad I am not registered to vote in thy country. Neither candidate hath My endorsement. And no, My Dad did not speaketh to Pat Robertson either :mad:

ELVIS
03-05-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by John Ashcroft
If this doesn't illustrate you who to vote for, I don't know what will.

Amen to that!

:elvis:

John Ashcroft
03-05-2004, 02:07 PM
Even if I did stumble on my wording a bit there... :D

Little Texan
03-05-2004, 04:33 PM
Of course North Korea is going to have a favorable opinion towards John Kerry, knowing that he engaged in pro-communist, anti-war protests upon returning from Vietnam in the early 70's.

steve
03-06-2004, 10:15 AM
Well, unlike you, I don't think just because Kim Il Jung thinks something that it must be true.

I think you should make up your own minds on how the Kerry Administration will engage North Korea, and not let others tell you how to think.

Both Kerry and Gephardt have repeatedly said they view N. Korea as a higher threat than Iraq. The main difference between them and Bush/Cheaney on this issue is whther to engage multi-laterally or bi-laterally. Kerry and Gephardt have said they are will to engage both ways while the Bush administration refuses to sit down with their leaders in bi-lateral talks.

Now, as to what is the best tactic is open for debate.

Personally, I think the Bush administration is taking the philosophy of backing a powerless, frightened dwarf of an animal and backing it into a corner. And if you just stomp on it, it's going to lash out in desparation.
North korea has no allies anymore. It is a deparate regime. So I think being too tough with them could backfire and lead to them launching their nucular (as the Pres would say) weapons off.

And let us not foorget that Clinton's approach with N. Korea resulted in them dismanteling their nuclear program; while Bush's approach has resulted in them starting it back up.

Of course, Bush's cowboy rhetoric worked in the case of Libya. But, it doesn't seem to be working in the powderkeg of North Korea.

Furthermore, it was not tough talk that ended the cold war, but bi-lateral negotiations spearheaded by Mikail Gorbechev.

The point is, different approaches are needed in different situations.

John Ashcroft
03-06-2004, 10:25 AM
Who sold them the technology for those nucular weapons?

It's your type of thinking that put us in the current predicament(s) with the various rogue tyrants around the world. When has appeasment ever solved regional conflict or stopped murderous dictators?

steve
03-06-2004, 10:56 AM

Answer: Pakistan. And right now the Bush administration is letting that crazy scientist off the hook for appeasing terrorists all around the world.

steve
03-06-2004, 10:59 AM
man, I throw the Bush Administration for a good thing that has come out of their foreign policy - Libya - but ya'll cannot stop with the knee jerreactions where you don't even address what I say - just start up with the "you people".

Anyway, if you feel like addressing anything I said...well, there be forums here; feel free to use 'em.

FORD
03-06-2004, 11:03 AM

The same guy who sold Iraq their chemical weapons. Donald Rumsfeld.

lucky wilbury
03-06-2004, 01:25 PM
1. clinton bought the technology and gave it to n korea

2. what hypocrosy on kerry part to sugget unilateral negiontaions with n. korea. "bilateral" is unilateral action whcih kerry bitches about.

3. n korea NEVER stopped it's nuclear program. even after their deal with clinton they NEVER stopped. so the notion that they weren't doing anything after clinton little deal is a lie. in fact they did the most from 94-2000 with regards to it.

4. clinotn allowed us to be blackmailed by n korea into giving them what they want which is the same tactic that they are trying now but bush isn't backing down. the n koreans want kerry because they hoping to do to him what they did to clinton

ELVIS
03-06-2004, 01:48 PM
Have you been drinking Lucky ??

lucky wilbury
03-06-2004, 03:11 PM
whatcha mean by that?

ELVIS
03-06-2004, 03:23 PM
Look at your typos...:)

lucky wilbury
03-06-2004, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Look at your typos...:)

what's a typo? :D i just got up when i made that post so i'm not at my best.

FORD
03-06-2004, 06:40 PM
so he wasn't drinking, just hungover from drinking last night ;)

John Ashcroft
03-06-2004, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by FORD
The same guy who sold Iraq their chemical weapons. Donald Rumsfeld.

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=35463

Man I love that picture!

lucky wilbury
03-06-2004, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by FORD
so he wasn't drinking, just hungover from drinking last night ;)

ha! that would be the case if i drank but i don't.