PDA

View Full Version : US soon to dominate the world in their precious soccer

POJO_Risin
06-12-2005, 01:28 PM
And if people here actually CARED about the sport past age 12...it would have happened years ago...

U.S. in great shape after upsetting power Argentina
June 12, 2005
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

ENSCHEDE, Netherlands -- The United States has already edged four-time champion Argentina at the World Youth Championship. Now, the team is waiting for Germany.

The opening 1-0 upset over pre-tournament favorite Argentina has put the United States in a commanding position to qualify from Group D, and the U.S. under-20 team showed it need not rely on Freddy Adu alone to impress.

The scariest moment for the U.S. team came when defensive key Jonathan Spector limped off in the first half against Argentina, but the response was brilliant -- Chad Barrett scored two minutes later and the defense, with substitute Nathan Sturgis, held tight for the remainder of the match.

"He came in, was solid, won duels that he had to win and played very well overall," U.S. coach Sigi Schmid said of Sturgis.

Germany beat Egypt with two late goals to co-lead Group D, alongside the United States, with three points.

The top two of each group automatically go through and are joined by the four best third-place finishers.

"We know we need at least four to have a chance as a third-place team and six will get us a first or second. We know our work is not done, but certainly this fills us with a lot of confidence," Schmid said.

Spector rested Sunday and remains doubtful for Tuesday's game. He should be fully fit for the last qualifying game against Egypt on Saturday.

And Adu can practice his penalty kicks. He missed his first penalty for the U.S. team Saturday with the game still on the line and was relieved his teammates hung on for the upset.

The 16-year-old did not really live up to the top billing he received at the championship, although he drew the foul which set up the botched penalty kick.

"I'm just trying to help the team any way possible. If it's drawing defenders away from my teammates and giving them room to operate because I'm a guy who gets a lot of attention, that's great," Adu said.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2004-2005, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

But honestly...doesn anyone in the states actually give a shit?

Va Beach VH Fan
06-12-2005, 03:52 PM
Ummm..

Hip hip hooray...

I think.... ;)