PDA

View Full Version : New JAWS DVD has bite...

Rikk
06-12-2005, 01:53 PM
New 'Jaws' DVD has bite

By NEIL WATSON-- Edmonton Sun

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0008KLVG4.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The mechanical shark - Bruce was the name - looks ridiculous now, sure to elicit howls of scorn and derision from anyone accustomed to CGI magic.

But 30 years on, Jaws is still terrific.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Video/2005/06/10/jaws.jpg

The movie that launched the blockbuster is better than 90% of the event movies that open on 5,000 screens most Fridays of every summer. Far better. The blockbusters du jour have special effects beyond imagination, but rarely do they bother with story, humour or people we care about. Jaws had a cheesy mechanical shark, but we overlooked that (obvious in 1975, too, by the way) because we were so invested in the fates of the three men who head out to sea to hook that "eating machine.''

Can you imagine one of today's blockbusters including a scene like the one in Jaws where the late Robert Shaw, as the spectacularly crusty Quint, tells the story about the doomed sailors aboard the Indianapolis at the end of the Second World War? The speech must go on for four or five minutes - an impossible length today, given our video game attention spans - and is a superior special effect to anything I've seen in a current blockbuster.

Jaws director Steven Spielberg was only 29 and only had one feature film (The Sugarland Express) under his belt when he started production on the "shark movie.'' But he was clearly already in possession of sure storytelling instincts, and he cleverly balanced character development and plot with those soon-to-be-infamous and terrifying scenes in the water.

Jaws was not only a commercial and critical blockbuster, it was a pop culture phenomenon of the highest order. Lines of dialogue and the haunting theme music immediately entered the public lexicon. Jaws had such an effect that people did stay out of the water, or if you ventured in, you could be certain someone close by would be trying to scare you ... da dum, da dum ....

A handsome two-disc DVD set marks the 30th anniversary, offering an interesting and lengthy making-of documentary, deleted scenes, storyboards and a well-produced souvenir booklet. It affords Jaws-aphiles the memories and perspectives of most of the principals three decades later. (Shaw died in 1978 at age 51.)

We find out that Spielberg wanted Lee Marvin to play Quint, but the irascible Marvin was more interested in going fishing than playing a fisherman. Jon Voight was top of the list to play water-phobic Chief Brody, the part that went to Roy Scheider. Peter Benchley, who wrote Jaws, co-wrote the screenplay and has a cameo as a TV reporter in the film, explains the title's evolution.

All interesting and worthy for the fan, but the joy is in watching the film again - and how well it holds up. Spielberg faced endless problems with the weather on Martha's Vineyard, and with the operation of Bruce, so it's amazing that he found the time to coax such fine performances out of the three principals, including Richard Dreyfuss as oceanographer Matt Hooper, and a cast of veteran character actors that included Murray Hamilton.

Most of us know the story - from the first attack during a midnight skinny dip to Brody's well-aimed rifle shot that finds that canister in the jaws of death - so well that the fun is waiting on those familiar moments. The aforementioned onboard scene in which Quint, Hooper and Brody bond, Quint's nails on the blackboard, the grieving mother slapping Brody. And there are so many famous lines of dialogue, including, "Swallow you whole,'' "You got city hands, Mr. Hooper,'' "That's a 20-footer. 25.'' And, most famously, "You're gonna need a bigger boat.''

To its enduring credit, Jaws stirs fear to this day because it plays into a primal fear that gives us all a twinge when we are out on the water.

Who cares if Bruce the shark looks like he's made out of foam rubber and moves like there's two guys inside shifting levers, Jaws is still one hell of a fish story.

JAWS - DVD rating: 4 1/2 SUNS (out of 5)

Nickdfresh
06-12-2005, 03:41 PM
Is this out TUESDAY RIKK?

Rikk
06-12-2005, 04:33 PM
Yup. And I'll be buying it Tuesday. This is my all-time favorite movie. A two-hour documentary (the one from the Laserdisc)? Awesome.

Terry
06-12-2005, 08:39 PM
As cheesy as Bruce the Shark looks in retrospect, I'm not all that impressed with CGI effects, myself. Seems like too many movies these days are too reliant on these computerized special effects (which don't look all that realistic anyway) and don't develop plots and storylines nearly enough.

Plus, back when you needed props and whatnot, it took an effort to create the illusion.

Rikk
06-12-2005, 08:42 PM
Bruce was fake but still managed to be scary. CGI shit sucks. It reminds you that you're watching a man-made creation.

SoldMySoul4RnR
06-13-2005, 03:51 AM
The part where Richard Dreyfuss goes into the water in that cage is one of the most tense moments in film history, I'm still on the edge of my seat every fuckin' time I watch it.

twonabomber
06-13-2005, 07:38 AM
Jaws was the first movie i saw in a theater. i was seven years old...it was a little second-run movie house just outside Toledo, in the middle of nowhere, Michigan...i think my dad fell asleep a half-hour into the movie...and i sat there wide-eyed thinking this is too fuckin' cool.

i had a "making of Jaws" paperback but i'm not sure if i took it with me when i moved out way back when. i remember them mentioning that Spielberg was throwing marbles into the water to simulate bullets splashing.

Vinnie Velvet
06-13-2005, 09:38 AM
Cool.

But wasn't there already a Special Edition DVD of this released not so long ago?

If so, is this one beter?

Rikk, please comment.

Rikk
06-13-2005, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
Cool.

But wasn't there already a Special Edition DVD of this released not so long ago?

If so, is this one beter?

Rikk, please comment.

The differences aren't huge, but for a JAWS freak like me, any improvement is worthwhile.

When the original JAWS DVD came out in 2000, some fans were in an uproar because the original sound mix wasn't included. I don't care that much about that. I like lavish surround sound remixes. However, the original set was only a one-disc edition. This two-disc finally contains an entire 2 hour documentary (and not the one-hour edition), a giant booklet in the packaging, interviews with Spielberg from '74 on the original set, an even better print, more deleted scenes, and other extras. And the price is right.

Vinnie Velvet
06-13-2005, 11:49 AM
Thanks bro.

I just might pick this one up.

JAWS is a classic.

Rikk
06-13-2005, 11:52 AM
Thanks bro.

I just might pick this one up.

JAWS is a classic.

Indeed it is.:) Try BEST BUY. They have a good price from what I looked up.

Vinnie Velvet
06-13-2005, 02:49 PM
Hey Rikk,

I just read a review where it said there were NO original theatrical trailers on this new DVD!!

That sucks. I love watching old trailers for movies.

Mr Badguy
06-13-2005, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by SoldMySoul4RnR
The part where Richard Dreyfuss goes into the water in that cage is one of the most tense moments in film history, I'm still on the edge of my seat every fuckin' time I watch it.

I think the jumpiest bit doesn`t even have the shark in it.

It`s where Dreyfuss goes under the boat and finds the sharks tooth and then the head falls through the hole in the boat.

I still shit myself everytime I see that.

One of the best films ever.

diamondD
06-13-2005, 08:28 PM
I prefer the chilling effect that Spielberg can put into a movie for the fake CGI crap like Deep Blue Sea.

Nickdfresh
06-13-2005, 09:08 PM
CGI is way overrated! (And overused).

Terry
06-13-2005, 10:02 PM
Was interesting to find out many years after that Bruce wasn't even working for much of the shoot, or wasn't working very well, so Steve had to come up with devices like the barrels following the Orca and other devices to imply that the shark was there without actually showing the shark. Agreed that some of the scariest moments are ones where the shark isn't even on camera.

Deep Blue Sea sucked in comparison to Jaws, agreed. Part of that problem was that Jaws also had actors that could act, and made you invest and care about the characters. The characters in Deep Blue Sea were so lame that you didn't even give a shit about them...I was rooting for the sharks.

Vinnie Velvet
06-14-2005, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Rikk
Bruce was fake but still managed to be scary. CGI shit sucks. It reminds you that you're watching a man-made creation.

The parts where you couldn't see Bruce are probably the scariest and most intense.

DavidLeeNatra
06-15-2005, 08:34 AM
great review, rikk...as ever! and for CGI...it sucks like van hagar sucks to CVH...I can't stand all these movies that look like a fucking computer game and have a story which is shittier than most of the computer games...go out there and use a fucking camera instead of a computer!!!

jaws is REAL water, a REAL ship, three REAL actors and tesnion from the beginning to the end. all time classic!!!

DavidLeeNatra
06-15-2005, 08:34 AM
great review, rikk...as ever! and for CGI...it sucks like van hagar sucks to CVH...I can't stand all these movies that look like a fucking computer game and have a story which is shittier than most of the computer games...go out there and use a fucking camera instead of a computer!!!

jaws is REAL water, a REAL ship, three REAL actors and tension from the beginning to the end. all time classic!!!

Vinnie Velvet
06-15-2005, 09:53 AM
Hey Rikk, please post your review of the DVD!!

Nickdfresh
06-15-2005, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Terry
Was interesting to find out many years after that Bruce wasn't even working for much of the shoot, or wasn't working very well, so Steve had to come up with devices like the barrels following the Orca and other devices to imply that the shark was there without actually showing the shark. Agreed that some of the scariest moments are ones where the shark isn't even on camera.

Deep Blue Sea sucked in comparison to Jaws, agreed. Part of that problem was that Jaws also had actors that could act, and made you invest and care about the characters. The characters in Deep Blue Sea were so lame that you didn't even give a shit about them...I was rooting for the sharks.

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra

jaws is REAL water, a REAL ship, three REAL actors and tesnion from the beginning to the end. all time classic!!!

Two good posts. I've heard that the fact that the mechanical shark (BRUCE) wasn't working resulted in a lot of tension on the set, and the possibility that the production may have been scrapped. BRUCE rarely worked (I guess they hadn't accounted for the corrosive effects of sea water as BRUCE was only tested in a pool), but I believe it seemed almost to come to life for a few moments when they were filming the battle sequence between the shark and BRODY, HOOPER, & QUINT.

Also, I heard in an interview with ROY SCHEIDER that ROBERT SHAW (QUINT) made subtle, but unmistakable, anti-sematic remarks to RICHARD DREYFUSS. SHAW was, like his beer swelling character, almost always drunk on the set. In fact, they had to reshoot the scene where QUINT recounts his past shark encounters resulting from the (very real-life) tragedy of the USS INDIANAPOLIS because SHAW was three-sheets-to-the-wind. You can sort of tell when you watch that scene closely that he's acting wobbly at the beginning, but sobers up for the monologue.

But in the end it was agreed that all of this tension and technical limitations made for a vastly better film. SCHEIDER also said he was sort of annoyed with DREYFUSS, because he had a very negative attitude during the filming.

Rikk
06-15-2005, 12:28 PM
Hey Rikk, please post your review of the DVD!!

You bet. I'll be posting one probably tomorrow.:)

Nickdfresh
06-15-2005, 09:26 PM
I just bought it myself. My if comes with a big booklet!

Rikk
06-16-2005, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
I just bought it myself. My if comes with a big booklet!

I bought it yesterday. Then I returned it today! Fucking bullshit...the Best Buy I bought it from only had the FULLSCREEN version and I didn't notice it. They said that they're not getting it in WIDESCREEN until next week! I looked in another store which didn't have it and then had to go to class. I'll pick it up this weekend.

Nickdfresh
07-11-2009, 10:09 PM
Just watched it for the first time in a couple of years, and the film looks better than ever...

It's a bit poignant with me as I used to go to Cape Cod and Martha's Vineyard when I was a boy and still have family in New England...

Douglas T.
07-12-2009, 12:23 AM
The part when the kid is in the sail boat in the bay and the part at night showing the beacon on the barrels and the boat in the background come to mind. Haven't seen the movie in years! I'll probably pick up the new DVD!

lesfunk
07-12-2009, 12:29 AM
My favorite movie ever

Terry
07-12-2009, 11:03 PM
Just watched it for the first time in a couple of years, and the film looks better than ever...

It's a bit poignant with me as I used to go to Cape Cod and Martha's Vineyard when I was a boy and still have family in New England...

I end up popping it in once every few years myself, and the film has held up very well, agreed.

letsrock
07-16-2009, 08:55 AM
That first Jaws movie was awesome, to bad they messed up the franchise with all the other ones.

Nickdfresh
07-16-2009, 09:02 PM
In one of the top ten coolest (depending on what you define as cool as it was pretty morbid), when I was on a ferry departing Martha's Vineyard, the setting for the fictional "Amity Island" in Jaws, for the mainland in around 1983 and I looked out and saw dozens and dozens of shark fins. Certainly not Great Whites and I have no idea what kind they were, the sharks were actually feeding off the carcass of a dead whale that was floating into the harbor. It was slightly scary, gross (as I could smell the fetid, wretched corpse) and pretty fascinating. And it definitely made ponder the warning "don't go into the water"...

letsrock
07-16-2009, 10:20 PM
Gross.

Terry
07-16-2009, 10:27 PM
That first Jaws movie was awesome, to bad they messed up the franchise with all the other ones.

I dunno...I quite enjoyed the second one.

The 3rd one had a nice cheese factor to it.

The 4th one was terrible, yet a highly viewable level of terrible; you have to see it to believe how bad it is.

High Life Man
07-16-2009, 11:30 PM
Would ya go back in the wata....get back in the wata....

Never understood why that NE town had a redneck mayor. :D

Nickdfresh
07-17-2009, 07:23 PM
Would ya go back in the wata....get back in the wata....

Never understood why that NE town had a redneck mayor. :D

You've evidently never been to New England...:)

bluemustard
07-18-2009, 07:19 PM
Spielberg hired great underwater photographers who shot great white footage and it's in the film.
When the shark is stuck to the cage was an accident when they shot it but it's in the movie.
Shit like that makes a movie great.