PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else Think That Def Lep's High N' Dry (Saturday Night) Sounds like AC/DC ?

Unchainme
06-13-2005, 09:23 PM
I know Mutt Lange Managed Both AC/DC And Def Lep. But High N' Dry sounds like he wrote it for AC/DC and AC/DC didn't like it and he gave it to Def Lep. Its an awesome song though.

David Lee Rocks
06-13-2005, 10:39 PM
I have always thought that album sounded like AC/DC, funny, noone else ever agreed with me though, it seemed so obvious to me,

NOaverageJOE
06-13-2005, 11:21 PM
Nah. I still hear mostly Lep in it. Joe's vocals were more raspy back then, though. Mutt really helped him become a better singer over the years, rather than just a screamer.

WACF
06-14-2005, 12:12 AM
That Gibson sound similarity is most likely Mutt Lange's influence behind the board...I have always thought it sounded like AC/DC.

FORD
06-14-2005, 12:13 AM
The first time I heard "Let It Go" on the radio, I thought it sounded similar to Ac/Dc. Saturday Night also

But then "Rock Brigade" from their first album sounds like KISS to some extent.

And most of what they have done since Pyromania sounds like SHIT, so go figure.

Vinnie Velvet
06-14-2005, 10:26 AM
Leppard were heavily influenced by AC/DC.

They loved them.

And you can hear it on their very early stuff.

And then for some reason, they lost that influence and started to suck.

FORD
06-14-2005, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
Leppard were heavily influenced by AC/DC.

They loved them.

And you can hear it on their very early stuff.

And then for some reason, they lost that influence and started to suck.

I think Pete Willis had a lot to do with it. Angus was a huge influence on him, probably because he was a short little fucker. And of course, using the same producer as Ac/Dc couldn't hurt either. Hell, I even remember the original videos for the High n Dry album where Joe Elliot's hair was darker and permed out and he looked like he could have been Brian Johnson's little brother.

Vinnie Velvet
06-15-2005, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by FORD
I think Pete Willis had a lot to do with it. Angus was a huge influence on him, probably because he was a short little fucker. And of course, using the same producer as Ac/Dc couldn't hurt either. Hell, I even remember the original videos for the High n Dry album where Joe Elliot's hair was darker and permed out and he looked like he could have been Brian Johnson's little brother.

Yeah, totally.

He was even screaming a lot back then as well in those early Lep days. Another reference to either Brian Johnson and Bon Scott.

Vinnie Velvet
06-15-2005, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by FORD

Pete Willis and also Steve Clark.

If you ask me, getting shitass player Phil Collen RUINED Def Leppard.

canadiandlrgirl
06-15-2005, 11:18 AM
nope

Matt White
06-15-2005, 12:11 PM
"Anyone Else Think That Def Lep's High N' Dry (Saturday Night) Sounds like AC/DC ?"

No

Psyche!:D

Yeah, Joe sounds like Brian Johnson on that track.

MUtt NEVER managed AC/DC or DEF LEP. He produced their records.

And, he had ALOT more control of the leps, 'cause they were kids.

Vinnie Velvet
06-17-2005, 10:37 AM
Early Lep (1980-81) has nothing to do with Mutt Lange's influence.

It just had to with the fact that Lep (in particular Pete Willis as FORD mentioned) were really big fans of AC/DC.

Mutt didn't even produce Leppard until Pyromania (which doesn't really sound like AC/DC, now does it?).

Matt White
06-17-2005, 11:07 AM
No....but Lange sure ruined a good band in a hurry.

I always say that Twain sounds like "Def Leppard...with fiddles".

WACF
06-17-2005, 11:35 AM
My copy of High N Dry states it was produced by Mutt Lange....

Mr Badguy
06-17-2005, 12:01 PM
It`s not just the riffs and the vocals.

Check that guitar solo.

If you didn`t know it was Leppard, you`d swear it was Angus Young.

Same phrasing and vocabulary.

WACF
06-17-2005, 12:19 PM
How about the new Leppard single...that remake.

"No Matter What" or something like that.

Sounds flat...man they have lost it.

RuzDNailz
10-20-2005, 12:01 AM
The video was cool especially with the pyro bits before the guitar solo. I hear that Pete Willis did some stuff with ex-Iron Maiden lead vocalist Paul Dianno. Not to mention some noticeable head baning in the front audience. The album itself was great especially Bringing On The Heartbreak/625 because it rocks RIGHT out! Those are my most favourite Lep songs. Especially Foolin'. I did manage to see them this past Summer and they were awesome! They played all their heavier songs. Few ballads here and there. But the sound system was great.

PHOENIX
10-20-2005, 12:55 PM
That song sounds like Ac/Dc. Even the Guitar solo has some elements.

BruinJer
10-20-2005, 01:18 PM
When Saturday Night first hit the radio in (what was it 81? 82?) I thought it was AC/DC... it wasn't until my friend bought that cassette, 2 months later, that I realized it WASN'T AC/DC. Great song, great album... kick ass band but now they are pathetic

BruinJer
10-20-2005, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by WACF
How about the new Leppard single...that remake.

"No Matter What" or something like that.

Sounds flat...man they have lost it.

You know... I saw their Live 8 set, they sounded great but it seemed like they didn't want to sound too hard. I don't know what their problem is with their old sound

rustoffa
10-20-2005, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by PHOENIX
That song sounds like Ac/Dc. Even the Guitar solo has some elements.

"Have a drink on me and my woman!"
:D

Terry
10-20-2005, 08:22 PM
No doubt the similarities were there back then.