PDA

View Full Version : PHIL JACKSON ANNOUNCED AS LAKERS NEW COACH...again

POJO_Risin
06-14-2005, 01:22 PM
Well...I said by Wednesday...he beat me by a day...the Ego is back...and my guess is that the Lakers...after a few off season moves...will be as well...

it's only a matter of time now...for LeBron...to at the very least...be traded to LA...

Very confounding...

can't wait to hear the Big Easy's thoughts on this...

POJO_Risin
06-14-2005, 01:25 PM
There will be a press conference at 5:00...ET...

Brett
06-14-2005, 01:30 PM
I'm cool with it, but it's going to take a few years for the Lakers to get back, but having Phil back at least brings some stability and certainly will bring players here again.

bueno bob
06-14-2005, 01:32 PM
I just wish we could get a decent basketball team together again...it's not so much that our players suck, it's that the management is running this franchise into the fucking dirt head first...

Brett
06-14-2005, 01:39 PM
Who the Lakers? For trading Shaq? Please, in a few years the trade won't mean anything.

The management were geniuses 6 years ago when they hired Phil and brought in a bunch of old vets to put around Kobe and Shaq. Now six years later, Shaq is gone, the old vets are old gone and management are a bunch of fools. That's what happens. The Lakers have never been an org that has developed young talent, honestly. In the last 25 years I can name maybe 5-7 picks that have had an impact on the team, and I doubt many would call Jerry West anything but a model GM. When in fact he wasn't always the best evaluator of talent.

bueno bob
06-14-2005, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Brett
Who the Lakers? For trading Shaq? Please, in a few years the trade won't mean anything.

The management were geniuses 6 years ago when they hired Phil and brought in a bunch of old vets to put around Kobe and Shaq. Now six years later, Shaq is gone, the old vets are old gone and management are a bunch of fools. That's what happens. The Lakers have never been an org that was developed young talent, honestly. In the last 25 years I can name maybe 10 picks that have had an impact on the team, and I doubt many would call Jerry West anything but a model GM. When in fact he wasn't always the best evaluator of talent.

Oh, shit, I forgot to say I was talking about the Blazers - sorry! :)

Believe it or not, once upon a time we were actually damn good...

POJO_Risin
06-14-2005, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Brett

The management were geniuses 6 years ago when they hired Phil and brought in a bunch of old vets to put around Kobe and Shaq. Now six years later, Shaq is gone, the old vets are old gone and management are a bunch of fools. That's what happens. The Lakers have never been an org that has developed young talent, honestly. In the last 25 years I can name maybe 5-7 picks that have had an impact on the team, and I doubt many would call Jerry West anything but a model GM. When in fact he wasn't always the best evaluator of talent.

LA Management are fools right now...they've done nothing right...

Now they have a selling point again...

As for your comments on WEST...I'm not even going to...

POJO_Risin
06-14-2005, 02:01 PM
Lakers rehire Phil Jackson as coach
Story Tools: Print Email
Associated Press
Posted: 3 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Phil Jackson is returning to the Los Angeles Lakers following a reconciliation with the team that cut him loose last year after three NBA championships in five seasons.

Spokesman John Black said Tuesday the team has rehired Jackson, who was let go by owner Jerry Buss last June 18.
A news conference was set for 5 p.m. EDT at Staples Center.

Jackson, who turns 60 in September, has had health issues in the past and underwent an angioplasty two years ago. He told ABC-TV before the opening game of the NBA Finals that he underwent a series of tests to make sure he was healthy.

Jackson's dismissal a year ago set in motion a makeover of massive proportions that proved to be disastrous.

Dominant big man Shaquille O'Neal demanded a trade and superstar Kobe Bryant opted out of his contract to become a free agent the same day Jackson's five-year run as coach ended.

The futures of O'Neal and Bryant were decided the following month, with O'Neal being traded to Miami and Bryant staying with the Lakers.

Rudy Tomjanovich succeeded Jackson, signing a five-year, $30 million contract, but lasted barely half a season, citing health reasons when he suddenly resigned Feb. 2.

Jackson's name was mentioned as a possible replacement almost immediately despite his having written a book detailing the 2003-04 season in which he called
Bryant uncoachable and made other disparaging remarks about the franchise.
Just wanted to stand out...because I've heard some Laker fans rant and rave about Shaq's disparaging remarks about the Lakers...but my guess is that we won't be hearing anything about Phil...now anyways...

With injuries playing a major role, the Lakers lost 19 of their last 21 games under interim coach Frank Hamblen to finish 34-48 and out of the playoffs for just the second time since 1976.

Jackson has coached nine NBA championship teams - six with the Chicago Bulls and in his first three years with the Lakers - from 2000-2002. That ties him with former Boston Celtics coach Red Auerbach for the most in league history.

Jackson also has a record 175 postseason victories and is tied for 10th on the NBA's all-time list with 830 wins in just 14 seasons - nine with the Bulls and five with the Lakers. He has a .723 regular-season winning percentage and a .717 postseason winning percentage.

The Lakers were 285-125 in the regular season and 68-28 in the postseason under Jackson. But this figures to be his biggest challenge since the current team doesn't appear to have what it takes to return to elite status any time soon.

The Lakers are well over the salary cap, restricting their ability to bring in high-priced free-agent talent for at least two years. Their defense was abysmal last season; they had an unbalanced roster with too many small forwards; they had virtually no inside presence on either end of the court; and they were suspect at point guard.

Jeanie Buss, the owner's daughter and the Lakers' executive vice president of business operations, publicly lobbied for months for the return of Jackson, her longtime boyfriend.

She finally got her wish.

Bryant's reaction to a return by Jackson has seemed lukewarm at best. Shortly after Tomjanovich's resignation, Bryant said he would "roll with it" if Jackson returned.

Two days after the season ended, Bryant said he didn't care who was hired as coach, adding he trusted the track record of Jerry Buss and general manager Mitch Kupchak.

"Whoever they bring in here, I'm going to be ready," Bryant said. "I'm just open to whoever they feel like is going to get the job done."

Buss said in early May he believed Jackson and Bryant could coexist.

"Oh, definitely. No question," Buss said. "These people want to win."

POJO_Risin
06-14-2005, 02:03 PM
I'm actually extrememly curious about Phil...now we'll see how good a coach he is...and we'll see how good a player Kobe is...because essentially...Kobe is in the same exact position that Jordan was in during the late 80's...

Brett
06-14-2005, 02:14 PM
Yup and yup.

Curious to hear both Phil and Kobe's comments on getting back together.

I'm sure Phil sees some similiarities between this team and those late 80's Bulls teams .

POJO_Risin
06-14-2005, 02:21 PM
So...the question now becomes...can Odom be Pippen?

You need to upgrade defensively...and get an active center...who can defend...

You don't necesarily need a PG in this offense...because Jordan or Pippen often brought the ball up...although their "Number 2" guards...IE...off guard from Jordan...generally had some skills at the point as well...but could also shoot the ball...I think of Kerr, Paxson and Armstrong...

and the Lakers really don't have that right now...

Va Beach VH Fan
06-14-2005, 03:15 PM
Yeah, I agree with both of you....

Getting Phil back is certainly nice, but Phil doesn't play anymore...

Let me regress before I get on my "coaches don't play" rant.... ;)

The Lakers need A LOT of work, it seems like they have a whole team of power forwards...

But this is good first step towards respectability....

Warham
06-14-2005, 04:07 PM
I approve of the move.

It's the only way Jerry Buss could go, and the BEST way he could go.

DlocRoth
06-14-2005, 06:05 PM
How many years on his deal?

HippieLettuce
06-14-2005, 08:16 PM
3 years
30 mil.

Warham
06-14-2005, 10:43 PM
I liked his press conference.

It also sounds like Shaq hates him now too, for going back to Kobe ('that other guy'). Good.

Brett
06-15-2005, 02:01 AM
Fuck Shaq, one less problem to worry about. The Lakers are now a 2-ring circus, not a 3. :)

The Lakers actually have ZERO power forwards, they have 400 SMALL forwards. The only legit power forward is Brian Grant, and that ain't saying much.

Brett
06-15-2005, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
So...the question now becomes...can Odom be Pippen?

Well now Lamar's got the coach that's going to help him realize whether he can or can't be the second wheel on this team like Pippen.

Warham
06-15-2005, 07:40 AM
Odom's got potential.

Phil looks like he has a vested interest in making him the player he can be.

I'm stoked.

POJO_Risin
06-15-2005, 03:16 PM
Of course...a month ago Phil said, "That roster won't get anything done..."

and I love it...the guy has the audacity to say...

"It's not about the money..."

WTF...10 million a year?

yeah...okay...

Not only does the guy get the money...but in rehiring him...he essentially is telling the Lakers they are fucking dead wrong...

pssst...did anyone see Kobe at the press conference?

POJO_Risin
06-15-2005, 03:17 PM
My bet here is that there are a lot of Laker fans smiling right now...

but have a gnawing question in their gut...

"Is this going to be a lot like the 1996 or 2000 CVH reunion? IE...is this going to explode in our faces?"

hehehehe...it will be fun watching...

Warham
06-15-2005, 04:02 PM
Have you ever seen a player at a press conference for a new coaching hire?

Was LeBron at the press conference for Cleveland's new coach?

POJO_Risin
06-15-2005, 04:22 PM
Yeah...seen plenty of players at a coaches press conference...

So...now wait a second Warham...are you going to sit there and tell me that LeBron and Mike Brown's relationship is at question AS MUCH AS Phil and Kobe?

Just regurgitating some stuff I heard on ESPN radio today...

"If Kobe and Phil are 'getting along' so well...wouldn't Kobe have been at the press conference?"

lmfao...Kobe said he is happy with the decision...

WTF was he supposed to say? "It Sucks..."

Then I'd have to listen to you wiseapples tell me how Kobe sucks peaches...

try that...wiseapples and peaches in the same sentence...

POJO_Risin
06-15-2005, 04:23 PM
Was Mike Jones' press conference EVEN TELEVISED?

Nobody gives a fuck about Mike Jones...

is that even his name?

Warham
06-15-2005, 04:44 PM
HA HA!

I don't think Kobe loves Phil, if that's what you are getting at. But the biggest thorn in the side of the city of LA is gone. That'll make Kobe and Phil's life easier.

POJO_Risin
06-15-2005, 04:49 PM
hahahaha...

we'll see...we'll see...

Warham
06-15-2005, 05:05 PM
Kobe isn't stupid. He knows he needs a good coach. Magic Johnson ran Paul Westhead out of town after his rookie year (championship), but they got Pat Riley in there and the rest is history. Magic knew, and Kobe does now, you need a solid stable force running the show. Phil has what it takes...again.

POJO_Risin
06-15-2005, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Warham
HA HA!

I don't think Kobe loves Phil, if that's what you are getting at. But the biggest thorn in the side of the city of LA is gone. That'll make Kobe and Phil's life easier.

Kobe doesn't even like Phil...and Phil is vice versa...tell me this isn't a fucking Phil slap in the face to Kobe...lmfao...

The biggest thorn in the city of LA SURE...but also the guy who in leaving put LA into the lottery...;)

superdave
06-15-2005, 05:15 PM
Phil Jackson is so damned overrated it isn't funny

Any

POJO_Risin
06-15-2005, 05:16 PM
Fact of the matter here is that Phil was here 2 years ago...

left because of Kobe (as he said in his book...)

and came back because of 10 million dollars...

and...

because he's just put it in Kobe's face...

Phil's not stupid...HE knows Kobe can lead a team he puts together...

the question will be will Kobe be the team player that Brett professes he is...

if he is...well...we could have another Jordan-like run...

if he isn't...well...the Big Easy will be laughing...and laughing...and laughing...every summer when he and Phil are Shaq Fuing...whatever that means...

superdave
06-15-2005, 05:17 PM
Anyone of us here in the Army could have coached the teams that he won championships with, and come up with the same result

superdave
06-15-2005, 05:17 PM
Larry Brown is a better coach than Jackson

POJO_Risin
06-15-2005, 05:19 PM
Yo WAR...I know that Magic knew they needed a good coach...but believe me...the 20 year old Magic was whining because of a change in the offense that would have moved him AWAY from the point forward position...

He didn't give a shit about the coach...just that the offense would run through him...

Kobe wanted to get rid of Phil...BECAUSE the offense ran THROUGH him...and not TO him...

Now...it's both...so of course they'll get along...better...I think...

but don't confuse the 2...Magic was a whining 20 year old...who got lucky with Pat Riley....

I'm sure if you could get Kobe to come straight...he wouldn't want Phil Jackson running this team...no matter what he says to Laker brass...or to the media...

if he says anything different than he likes the move...then he looks like an idiot...

Warham
06-15-2005, 05:20 PM
Kobe doesn't even like Phil...and Phil is vice versa...tell me this isn't a fucking Phil slap in the face to Kobe...lmfao...

The biggest thorn in the city of LA SURE...but also the guy who in leaving put LA into the lottery...;)

Not really a slap in Kobe's face. Phil said a couple years ago, it's either me or Kobe, and Buss said see ya later. Kobe is Buss' favorite, and everybody knows it, even Phil. Shaq knows it too, that's why he rips Buss every chance he gets.

POJO_Risin
06-15-2005, 05:26 PM
You don't think it's a slap in Kobe's face to rehire Phil...when Buss and Kobe BOTH said they hate the triangle?

POJO_Risin
06-15-2005, 05:26 PM
...and now are admitting they need the triangle?

Warham
06-15-2005, 05:50 PM
I look at it more like they know they all want or need each other.

Phil wants the Lakers.

The Lakers need and want Phil.

Kobe needs Phil.

In reality the Lakers could have never hired Phil back, but I think the split the first time around was embarrassing to ALL parties, and this is a way to rectify that error in judgement.

POJO_Risin
06-15-2005, 06:22 PM
C'mon...Phil Jackson isn't embarrased by anything...

he actually said...

"I didn't do it for the money..."

umm...okay...

Warham
06-15-2005, 06:46 PM
I don't think Phil resigned for the cash.

POJO_Risin
06-15-2005, 06:53 PM
Holy Christ...WAR...10 million dollars...you are smarter than that...

POJO_Risin
06-15-2005, 06:55 PM
Kobe doesn't need Phil...Kobe needs teammates...

there are other coaches out there that could do as good a job as Phil with this class of fucking clowns...

Warham
06-15-2005, 08:14 PM
I think Phil would have taken the job if Buss paid him $6-7 million.

Buss paid him $10 because Buss can afford it.

redblkwht
06-15-2005, 08:33 PM
Phil IMO now has become a sellout..
Fuck Phil Jackson, him or Jordan dont know when to retire for good..& im from chi town..
Love my Bulls, but the end shoulda been already.
His legend will now be tarnished
over greed of money, weather he says so or not..hes lying.

$Its all about the benjamin$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Warham
06-15-2005, 08:54 PM
No way. Not everybody does things just for the cash.

This isn't Mike Tyson we are talking about here. Give the guy some respect.

POJO_Risin
06-16-2005, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by Warham
I think Phil would have taken the job if Buss paid him $6-7 million.

Buss paid him $10 because Buss can afford it.

He wouldn't have...

he took the job for 2 reasons...well...3...

1. the money (becoming the highest paid coach in North American coaching history)

2. Because by going back to LA, he in essence is showing the world that the Lakers fucked up a year ago when they let him go (and at the same time...can get laid more regularly by his galpal...Jeanie)...

3. To try and win his 10th title...

and yeah...in that order...

and War...bro...read what you wrote...lmfao...he'd have TAKEN 6 or 7 million...

yeah...that would have made it NOT about the money...is there another coach that makes that much? Nope...

POJO_Risin
06-16-2005, 01:11 AM
I've got tons of respect for the guy...but I can't stand it when these egotists say they don't do it for the fucking money...

fine...then fucking coach for free...

POJO_Risin
06-16-2005, 01:14 AM
And War...I don't know what sports you've been watching over the past 20 years...but you can't name five people that don't do things FOR THE MONEY...

Ripken staying in Baltimore? MONEY...

Pucket staying in Minnesota? MONEY...

could they have made more elsewhere...sure...but not much more...

There aren't many pros that are playing for free or for fun right now...

you look at a guy like Rodman...now...HE can say he played for something other than money...the year that he donated his money to a charity...

Ricky Henderson right now...playing minor league ball for nothing...and donating his salary...

shit like that...

but the dude is making 10 million dollars...trust me...if Buss called him up...and said...Phil...I heard you didn't want to do it for the money...here...do it for free...for redemption...and all that other shit he was squawking about...he'd have hung up...and probably called him a senile "old man..."

Warham
06-16-2005, 06:56 AM
I can only name one player off the top of my head who signed a blank contract back in '87, to let the Cubs fill in the amount. Perhaps he's the only player to ever do it, and my favorite player ever, so I would know.

Other than that, I'd have to do a search.

I don't expect Phil to coach for free. It is a JOB after all, but he's not coming back to the Lakers just for the $10 million a year. He's got other reasons.

POJO_Risin
06-16-2005, 10:44 AM
Horsenuts...

it's starts with the 10 million...like I said...

3 reasons...

You can go back up and read away at what I think those three are...but I guarantee you this...

the only 1 of those three that COULDN'T be taken out of the equation...was the 10 million dollars...

Like I said...you don't say just over a month ago that the roster isn't very good...

unless...

you think the roster sucks ass...

or...

you want to drum up your price...

POJO_Risin
06-16-2005, 10:45 AM
"Hawk" did that!

No shit...I don't even remember that...

now that is awesome...

and shows you that a guy will play for more than just cash...

POJO_Risin
06-16-2005, 10:48 AM
Look...this is more of a generic comment here War...

everyone has OTHER reasons to coach somewhere other than money...

but anyone who says they AREN'T doing it for the money...

IS doing it for the money...

especially when there is 10 million...or 6 million involved...

I'm just sick of people trying to make us buy the money not a factor crap...

here's exactly what Phil Jackson said in an interview on May 16th...

Jackson talked Saturday about a Laker roster that is currently "not appealing at all,"

Warham
06-16-2005, 03:59 PM
"Hawk" did that!

No shit...I don't even remember that...

now that is awesome...

and shows you that a guy will play for more than just cash...

Yep, it was Dawson. He wanted to play in Chicago on the grass so bad, that he signed a blank contract for one year. He at least expected to get $1 mil a year out of it, but Dallas Green, the Cubs GM at the time, only wrote in $500,000. Andre accepted it, and renegotiated after the season, with a fatter contract. But the fact remains, he wanted to play somewhere so bad, that he would have played for peanuts.

Great guy too. :D

Warham
06-16-2005, 04:05 PM
I can see Jackson saying that the 'current' roster is unappealing. He's talking about the fact that there are about 10 small forwards on the team right now.

I still think he sees it as a challenge.

Listen, I'm not downplaying the cash. I'm sure he feels he wants to be compensated for those nine rings he won. He deserves it.

Brett
06-17-2005, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by superdave
Anyone of us here in the Army could have coached the teams that he won championships with, and come up with the same result

Really? Did Jordan win before Phil? Did Shaq and Kobe?

Answer. No.

And don't say because they magically matured at the same time Phil got there, that's a bullshit cop-out line.

He is a great coach, people need to fucking drop it already. Nobody wins 9 titles and is lucky. Funny how that old fuck Red Auerbach who has 9 rings isn't accused of the same, considering he had 5 or 6 Hall of Famers on his team EVERY year.

Brett
06-17-2005, 02:57 AM
Was Mike Jones' press conference EVEN TELEVISED?

Nobody gives a fuck about Mike Jones...

is that even his name?

The Cavs coach? Mike Brown.

POJO_Risin
06-17-2005, 01:36 PM
and there you go...lmfao...

and anyone that says Phil ISN'T a good coach...doesn't know what a good coach is...

Va Beach VH Fan
06-17-2005, 05:24 PM
LMFAO.

Mike Jones, LB for the Rams, Super Bowl tackle at the 1 vs. the Titans...

POJO_Risin
06-17-2005, 05:26 PM
Va...HE might as well be coaching the Cavs...

Warham
06-17-2005, 05:45 PM
So when's LeBron going to suit up in the gold and purple?

POJO_Risin
06-17-2005, 06:05 PM
Another year before they'll have to deal him...

I'm thinking the Celtics...;)

http://www.nba.com/media/japan/wr10w_matchup_Kobe_Lebron.jpg