• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • light 'em up!
    Foot Soldier
    • Mar 2004

Ed begged Gene Simmons to let him join Kiss

Found this at: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005430/bio

"Discovered Van Halen in 1977 and produced the demo that got them signed to Warner Brothers Records. Eddie Van Halen once begged Gene and Paul Stanley to let him join Kiss, during a time when his band, Van Halen, was having problems. Van Halen played guitar in a session for KISS, and, according to Simmons, impressed them with his use of synthesizers. Simmons eventually told Vah Halen that despite his feelings about working with David Lee Roth, he should stick things out since his musical abilities would never be fully recognized within KISS's style."
    Last edited by light 'em up!; 06-14-2005, 04:51 PM.
  • Vinnie Velvet
    Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Who knows what Ed's alcohol clogged brain was thinking back then.

He doesn't say himself that he wanted to join KISS.

Gene had always commented on that story himself.

And with Gene, the truth is not always the truth.
    =V V=
    ole No.1 The finest
    EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• hollywood5150
      Head Fluffer
      • Sep 2004

According to several guitar mags and VH books...........Gene asked Ed to join.......when KISS had problems.........this was around 1977-78 and again in 1981..........

check out the guitar for the practicing musician oct 1996 and the Van Halen Encyclopedia...........

and DLR's crazy from the heat..........he mentions a little about Gene and DLR/EVH

interesting..........

Comment

• Hardrock69
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Feb 2005

It would never have worked. Kiss's musical stylings were not compatible with Ed's style...

Comment

• bigc
          Head Fluffer
          • Aug 2004

Ed should join now.they'd save money on the makeup..he looks fucking freaky as it is

Comment

• superdave
            Sniper
            • Apr 2004

but just think of Ed and Ace in Kiss, it could have been a new beginning for Kiss, considering where Kiss is at now

Comment

• col5150
              Head Fluffer
              • Feb 2004

i was gonna say in crazy form the heat dave spoke of kiss wantin edd but someone beat me to the chase. Ive just realised how bad it could have been if edd did join Kiss,we would have no classic vh and kiss may still be producing albums nooooooooooooooo!!!!

Comment

• Hardrock69
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Feb 2005

No shit....but Ed woulda wound up just where he is now...alcoholic rock star booted from Kiss due to Gene Simmon's fake anti-drug bullshit.....

Speaking of which....I once had PROOF that Gene is fucking lying about "I never took drugs...".

January 13, 1977 Wichita Kansas Henry Levitt Arena....I was in the front row with a pocket instamatic camera.

Someone over on Gene's side of the stage handed Gene a joint ( I was just right of center), and he took a hit just as I snapped a photo....

The pic turned out great...you could see the cherry even....you could see Gene SMOKING MARIJUANA IN PUBLIC!!!!

Fast forward many years and moves of many thousands of miles.....

Somewhere that particular photo wound up missing. I lived in my life in a few party houses, and of course when one does that, inevitably stuff gets stolen. I have all the other pix fromn that night, and yes I do have the negatives.

However, due to the ravages of time, the chemical structure of the film caused corrosion which destroyed the end of the negative where that particular picture was....

It is too bad....I could have shown proof to the world that Gene is a lying, money-grubbing, asshole.

I actually kinda mean that as a compliment in a way, just because he is the perfect example of someone who wanted to make it big, and did so.

Gotta admit he has almost as much money as Satan (but he wants to have as much money as GOD), and I say kudos to anyone who makes a fortune in the music business.

Anyone who can survive the shark-infested waters of the Major Label Cesspools...er..I mean "offices" and come out reasonably intact with cash to spare has got to be doing something right.

But I still despise a hypocrite. I mean, say something stupid like "I didn't inhale" but at least admit you did it instead of lying to everyone.

I guess Gene is so surrounded by yesmen, and he wants to set a good example (WTF???) for his kids (nothing wrong with that), that he is able to do what the White House does....stand up on the public stage and lie for so long and so consistently that eventually a large portion of the population either forgets the truth or dies and everyone who is left becomes a "sheep", believeing what they are told and gladly gulping down the hard throbbing meat known as the "propaganda tool" without question. This is otherwise known as "re-writing history".

Ummm but back on topic:

Thank GAWD Ed did not wind up in Kiss....

"Loss of control, loss of control, loss of controoooool AH!......"
                Last edited by Hardrock69; 06-14-2005, 07:55 PM.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

KISS has had more lead guitarists than SPINAL TAP has had drummers.

Spinal Tap A to Zed

Drummers: Tap has a notorious reputation for changing drummers, usually after sudden deaths. Derek: "When we realized it was a curse, we changed out attitude." (RL) David: "Most of them died peacefully in their sleep, while playing." Derek: "For drummers, it's a bit of an extreme sport, to play with us." (NPR) In 1991, before its triumphant return to the road to support "Break Like the Wind," Tap placed a classified ad in Daily Variety and the Hollywood Reporter announcing auditions: "Drummer died, need new one. Must have no immediate family. Auditions October 31 L.A. Coliseum. RSVP." Four hundred drummers phoned about the ad and 50 auditioned, including Mickey Dolenz of the Monkees, Mick Fleetwood (wearing a fire-retardant suit), Debbie Peterson of the Bangles, Stephen Perkins of Jane's Addiction and Gina Schock of the Go-Gos. (MST; TS) As to why Ric Shrimpton won the seat rather than Fleetwood, David explained, "Mick showed fear. You can't have that." (RL). Until it exploded, a computerized drug machine was used to record some songs on "Break Like the Wind." (BB) During a 10-day tour in early 1992, the band held auditions in Norway, Sweden, Germany and Australia for back-up drummers in case anything happened to Ric. David: "The most ironic thing would be if we all dropped dead one day on stage, except for the drummer." (NPR)

Last edited by Nickdfresh; 06-14-2005, 08:19 PM.

Comment

• rustoffa
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by bigc
                    Ed should join now.they'd save money on the makeup..he looks fucking freaky as it is

They could put a bone through his nose, keep the Pebbles Flintstone hair, add some eyeshadow, and call him Voodoochild!!!

Comment

• mentalpancake
                      Roadie
                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by bigc
                      Yeah but so does everyone that actually is in Kiss.

Comment

• Roth & Roll
                        Foot Soldier
                        • Feb 2004

Chaim Witz is a compulsive liar who chronically distorts the truth.
                        http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/...oker-small.jpg

Comment

• Terry
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

From what I got out of it, seemed that Simmons was looking to put Ed in KISS prior to Van Halen recording their first album, and then the subject was possibly broached again around early 1981 to get Ed AND AL into KISS.

Just as well it never happened. With the release of Love Gun, KISS had already recorded just about everything worthwhile the band was gonna come up with. And I doubt Stanley and Simmons were gonna let Ed have a lot of input beyond soloing.

Think the notion of Ed begging Gene is something that Simmons created with his own overblown ego rather than having any basis in fact.
                          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Tiger Roth
                            Groupie
                            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by light 'em up!
                            Found this at: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005430/bio

"Discovered Van Halen in 1977 and produced the demo that got them signed to Warner Brothers Records. Eddie Van Halen once begged Gene and Paul Stanley to let him join Kiss, during a time when his band, Van Halen, was having problems. Van Halen played guitar in a session for KISS, and, according to Simmons, impressed them with his use of synthesizers. Simmons eventually told Vah Halen that despite his feelings about working with David Lee Roth, he should stick things out since his musical abilities would never be fully recognized within KISS's style."
                            Bullshit.

Comment

• guitarboy5150
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Dec 2004

lmao eddie in kiss

Comment

Working...