PDA

View Full Version : Prett sad it's come to this for VH

Terry
03-05-2004, 05:33 PM
Realize this has been the situation for about 4 and a half years now (since Cherone left in November of 1999), but Van Halen's music used to be their calling card. At least, when Roth was still around.

Yeah, yeah, they had great stage productions, and Dave did all the martial arts moves onstage and a great image, but all of that just accentuated the music.

Now Van Halen has been reduced to a bunch of rumors, failing record sales and gossip.

Wonder if Eddie thought it would all come to this in 1996 when he futzed around with Roth. Bet nowadays Mr.Fingers is wishing he had sealed the reunion deal with Dave on a permanent basis.

Roth & Roll
03-05-2004, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Terry
Realize this has been the situation for about 4 and a half years now (since Cherone left in November of 1999), but Van Halen's music used to be their calling card. At least, when Roth was still around.

Yeah, yeah, they had great stage productions, and Dave did all the martial arts moves onstage and a great image, but all of that just accentuated the music.

Now Van Halen has been reduced to a bunch of rumors, failing record sales and gossip.

Wonder if Eddie thought it would all come to this in 1996 when he futzed around with Roth. Bet nowadays Mr.Fingers is wishing he had sealed the reunion deal with Dave on a permanent basis.

The last thing EVH cares about is public perception. Eddie Van Heineken has been pretty clear since '96 that he doesn't give a rats ass what you, me or any other fan of Classic VH wants. He doesn't need the money or adulation - he's gotten that from us already, and doesn't feel the need to do anything he doesn't want to do. He IS entitled to that, but don't mislead and insult the public by calling it "Van Halen". As far as I'm concerned the legacy of a once-great band has been reduced to nothing more than a joke.

Sarge
03-05-2004, 06:08 PM
The only people who want Sam back in that band are either old women or guys who wear their socks up to their fucking kneecaps.

EVH and Sam is not Van Halen..

Calderone
03-05-2004, 06:30 PM
"but don't mislead and insult the public by calling it "Van Halen"
Minimum ...
they gotta change the name

Panamark
03-05-2004, 10:09 PM
Ive never met a genuine Sammy fan. Anyone I ever speak to about Van Halen only talks Dave era. There are obviously a few Sammy fans in the US. But Im not so sure that Van Hagar was ever that successful internationally. Spammy did a series of Solo shows here years ago (actually not long after the split up of Van Hagar). He was playing very small venues and PUB's. Apparently he dished it out bigtime to the Van Halens inbetween songs. I saw him on TV here at the time, and he also dissed the VH's while being interviewed. Oh those were happy days...

WOAHYEAH
03-05-2004, 11:10 PM
Sorry, they kicked ass with Dave, with Sam, and with Gary [well, to a lesser extent] And they're going to kick ass AGAIN with Sam. Seems Roth doesnt think the reunions going to happen, heh, maybe in his world. Next week should be pretty enjoyable when the reunion is announced.

Dave IS VH
03-06-2004, 04:08 AM
It's too bad the greatest rock band in history is nothing but the past with no future.

It's all up to Eddie to reunite VH, but I guess he doesn't give a shit about music anymore.

Eddie is such of fucking great guitar player, it's too bad he won't pick up a guitar and go on tour and play. There is a whole new generation that hasn't heard him play life yet.

Wayne L.
03-06-2004, 12:01 PM
I think it's sad the way some VH fans like to pretend in their minds that it's still 78/79/80 waiting for the next album as well as pretending Eddie Van Halen is still 25 years old, which is tragic.

Golden AWe
03-06-2004, 12:23 PM
I've never met a genuine Spammy-fan either...I own the Van Hagar-albums too, I like some of the songs, and know a lot of people who like Van Hagar but I know no one who thinks Van Hagar was the best band ever...

The reason might be that the genuine Spammy-fans are really those who just start families, drink milk and drive a Nissan...or maybe drink tequila/whiskey only at home.

And they have their Van Hagar-cd's next to Bon Jovi and Aerosmith's "I don't wanna miss a thing"-single.
They are not the people who I run into in a rock bar somewhere in the middle of a typical Tuesday.
And, opposite to Roth-fans with a family, these Spammy-fans who are older now didn't go to see VH in the beginning of the 80's when they were young and it was all about sex&drugs&rock&roll...they never lived it, they stayed home.

FORD
03-06-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by WOAHYEAH
Sorry, they kicked ass with Dave, with Sam, and with Gary [well, to a lesser extent] And they're going to kick ass AGAIN with Sam. Seems Roth doesnt think the reunions going to happen, heh, maybe in his world. Next week should be pretty enjoyable when the reunion is announced.

How do I know when it's cheese?
I can't tell you, but it smells like cheddar oooooohhhhhhhh

Yeah, that kicks so much ass :rolleyes:

Dave IS VH
03-06-2004, 03:02 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dave IS VH
that hasn't heard him play life yet. [/QUOTE

Sorry, I meant to say, that hasn't heard him play "live" yet!!!!!!!!

:) I was kind of out of it yesterday!!!!!!!!!!

Va Beach VH Fan
03-06-2004, 04:47 PM
Well stated fellas....

Now that it appears that it's all but a formality that the Velveeta One will once again front VH, I'm going to be very interested in two main issues:

1. Concert attendance - As I've said before, IMHO they will sellout the major metropolitan arenas/ampitheaters, i.e. NYC/NJ, LA/SD/SF, Chicago, Philly, etc.... And of course the reason they'll sellout is easy, when you've got 5 million people in a metropolitan area, you can easily accumulate 20,000 Cheeseheads together to sing "When It's Love" for their encore....

But it's in the other areas of the country that they're going to get a rude awakening IMO, and I predict they'll get between 70-80 pct. capacity at those areas.... For example, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, down here in VA/NC, Florida, and in the Midwest (less KC/STL, which is Hagar country).... In most of those areas from what I've seen in the past, even those traditionally have been strong VH bases, meaning strong ROTH VH bases.... The atypical blue-collar American worker doesn't want anything to do with a pudgy 50-ish beach bum singing ballads.... Now I'm sure that you'll have those Samheads that will say that 70-80 percent capacity isn't a bad thing... Sure, if you're Van Hagar it isn't.... When did DLR/VH have thousands of empty seats at one of their shows ???

2. Album/CD sales - Concentrating right now on BOV-2, I don't think it's a stretch to predict it'll go platinum, however IMO the primary reason that it'll be able to go platinum will be out of sheer curiosity for the new songs... In addition, I'll be interested to see just what songs they put on the album....

So, in summary, am I looking forward to Van Velveeta part Deux ??

Not by a longshot....

Having said that, I'm curious to hear what new riffs Ed has come up with in his 5 year hibernation....

BigBadBrian
03-07-2004, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Dave IS VH

Eddie is such of fucking great guitar player, it's too bad he won't pick up a guitar and go on tour and play. There is a whole new generation that hasn't heard him play life yet.

And they won't hear him play live to his capabilities with Hagar fronting.

Dave IS VH
03-08-2004, 01:04 AM
No question, only way I would go see Van Halen is if Dave is involved!!!!!!!!

Other wise it's a fucked up version of Van Halen.

:hagar1: :gun: :donkey: :donkey:

Coyote
03-08-2004, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by Golden AWe
I've never met a genuine Spammy-fan either...I own the Van Hagar-albums too, I like some of the songs, and know a lot of people who like Van Hagar but I know no one who thinks Van Hagar was the best band ever...

The reason might be that the genuine Spammy-fans are really those who just start families, drink milk and drive a Nissan...or maybe drink tequila/whiskey only at home.

And they have their Van Hagar-cd's next to Bon Jovi and Aerosmith's "I don't wanna miss a thing"-single.
They are not the people who I run into in a rock bar somewhere in the middle of a typical Tuesday.
And, opposite to Roth-fans with a family, these Spammy-fans who are older now didn't go to see VH in the beginning of the 80's when they were young and it was all about sex&drugs&rock&roll...they never lived it, they stayed home.

That's hitting the nail on the head.

Terry
03-08-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Wayne L.
I think it's sad the way some VH fans like to pretend in their minds that it's still 78/79/80 waiting for the next album as well as pretending Eddie Van Halen is still 25 years old, which is tragic.

Looking back on what the band did when Dave was in it, just from 1978 to 1984 alone (6 albums, 6 tours) and the productivity level that followed from 1986 to 1998 (5 studio albums, 1 live album, 1 greatest hits album, 6 tours), is it any wonder?

Wanting to see that original lineup reunite, put out some new material and take it on the road doesn't mean one is living in the past, but considering the fluff 'Van Halen' put out after the classic lineup split, I'll take living in the past over 'How Many Say I' any day of the week.

JenniferM
03-08-2004, 11:59 PM
You mean, "How Many Say I Wanna Throw Up?"

JenniferM
:uck: :lol:

John Ashcroft
03-09-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Panamark
Ive never met a genuine Sammy fan. Anyone I ever speak to about Van Halen only talks Dave era. There are obviously a few Sammy fans in the US...

My thoughts as well. There were a bunch of Eddie fans that followed him through the Spammy years (and even Cherone...) I unfortunately was one of them. My wife laughed at me when listening to VH3 for the first time in the car. My face must've said it all... We were in Europe, so I had to buy the disk before I heard any reviews. Naturally I was skeptical and a little excited at first. Once "How many say I" came on I had to turn the shit off. I don't believe I've listened to the CD since...

Anyway, I'm quite sure that if Spammy or Cherone were leading VH in it's founding days they would never have been dubbed the "Mighty" Van Halen. They probably would've release a couple of albums and went by the wayside. And only because Eddie is such a kick ass guitarist.

One Voice
03-10-2004, 01:04 PM

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: moron.

tjvhou812
03-10-2004, 07:49 PM
van halen will cont. to rock w/sammy at the helm. dont get me wrong i love dave. but dave just cant keep his mouth shut, its always about him. the van halen reunoin w/dave was all set and dave had to go say dumb shit... but i guess thats dave. at least we got to hear a couple of songs off the best of vol 1. but its sammy's turn again and i wanna hear some more van halen .......

John Ashcroft
03-10-2004, 09:45 PM
Dude, VH was bigger than individual personalities. The merger of two larger than life entities resulted in music and attitude that is still broadcast on radio and television stations across the world. Do you realize how rare that is??? You've got only a few. Zep, Skynrd, the Beatles, Who, and Stones. That's about it. There's some in the middle like Credence, Eric Burton, the Kinks, and the Moody Blues (only to name a few mind you...), but the leaders are few and far between. Van Halen with Dave is amongst that group. People who changed the way the ENTIRE FUCKING WORLD looked at music. This is where the passion for Dave (and Eddie) eminates from. This is why there is such disappointment with Sammy and Cherone. Those two bring the band down into the category of "the rest"...

Big Troubles
03-10-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Wayne L.

Don't you have feet to lick or toes to suck on? You think it's "sad" that we fans like to pretend it's 78/79/80? I dont know about anyone else here, but I pretend it's 78 right thru to 84 motherfucker, and that's the way I likes it. And I don't think anyone is questioning Ed's age moron, Im sure we are all in agreement that he still kicks ass on the axe, whether he's 25 or 50 fuck face, so go back to the links.

Big Troubles
03-10-2004, 10:14 PM

You feeling alright? They kicked ass with Sam and Gary Cherone? Your a fucking retard! With Sam they played radio love songs and with Gary... I dunno what the fuck you'd call that, because the only song I ever heard that was on the radio was Fire in the Hole, and I think that was written when Alex was taking a shit! I personaly don't think Roth gives a flying fuck what goes on in the Van Halen camp if he's not involved with it. So yeah, it might be enjoyable when a reunion with Spam is announced. Enjoyable, because we can all watch them crash and burn when they go on tour!

Switch84
03-10-2004, 10:28 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by WOAHYEAH
[B] they kicked ass with Dave (Well, YEAH!)

That is the ONLY way they'll kick ass!

Golden AWe
03-11-2004, 04:56 AM
Originally posted by tjvhou812
the van halen reunoin w/dave was all set and dave had to go say dumb shit... but i guess thats dave.

What dumb shit? Was it dumb to say that he feels great to be back together with the boys and wants to make some new music and tour?!

Is that dumb?

Eddie talking about his hip operation at the MTV awards after they got themselves a standing ovation is not dumb? Eddie already having a contract with a third singer while saying "baby steps" to Dave was not dumb?

Take your head out of your ass. Please.

col5150
03-11-2004, 08:25 AM
you never know sammy might do something really outrageous for the band like in ''live without a net'' when he spraypainted an old pair of shoes. cos thats about as rock and roll as hagar is gonna get.

bring back dave!

tjvhou812
03-11-2004, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Golden AWe
What dumb shit? Was it dumb to say that he feels great to be back together with the boys and wants to make some new music and tour?!

Is that dumb?

Eddie talking about his hip operation at the MTV awards after they got themselves a standing ovation is not dumb? Eddie already having a contract with a third singer while saying "baby steps" to Dave was not dumb?

Take your head out of your ass. Please.

hey when dave came out on mtv that was some great shit.. but you know he had to run his mouth and say this night was about him.... thats what turned the hole thing around... because dave and eddie was talkin, and when they start talkin they make music that kicks the shit out of ya.... dave needs to relize he isnt van halen

Golden AWe
03-11-2004, 12:11 PM
hey when dave came out on mtv that was some great shit.. but you know he had to run his mouth and say this night was about him.... thats what turned the hole thing around... because dave and eddie was talkin, and when they start talkin they make music that kicks the shit out of ya.... dave needs to relize he isnt van halen

That night made Eddie go back months in time with a time machine and sign up a contract with another singer? Woah I didn't know Eddie is friends with the Supeman, Black Adder and Captain Kirk.
You should've told me about the time travelling man!

So the night was not about Dave?
It was about Eddie's hip?

And btw Dave is VH.

ThrillsNSpills
03-11-2004, 05:14 PM
We wanted Van Halen but we're getting Ched Zeppelin.

If they made a full length album half of it would sound like Journey or REO.

Any hard rocking song they would do with Sammy would be so much better with Dave.

The classic albums had such a great vibe to them and just flowed.
Pure balls.

No doubt with Dave now the chemistry would still be there, as the 2 songs from BOV 1 proved.
I just want to hear the stuff they did with Roth in 2000 or 01, whenever it was.

Terry
03-12-2004, 05:24 PM

Ed, Al and Mike knew what they were getting when they fumbled around with Dave in 1996. When Dave was in that band, he was the frontman, did the majority of the non-guitar mag press and represented the band on MTV.

See, Ed got too used to being the focal point of the band after Dave left. Made sense that people would concentrate on Eddie after the 1985 split, because Sam Hagar couldn't hold his own when paired with Eddie.

And that 1996 MVA appearance by Van Halen WAS about Dave rejoining the band. Do you think anyone would have cared if just Ed, Al and Mike walked out there to give Beck his award? The only reason Van Halen were even there to begin with was BECAUSE Roth was supposedly back together with the band.

The Van Halens never had any intention of doing anything long term with Dave beyond those two tracks, and just wanted Dave's participation to help them move more units of their Best Of Vol 1 album. The media were hyping the reunion, and the Van Halen brothers were looking for any excuse to throw Roth out without looking like a couple of dipshits. They fumbled at straws with that lame-ass excuse of Dave being disrespectful to Beck and some heated words backstage between Ed and Dave to torpedo the whole thing.

Probably the only thing that can be said in Eddie's defense is that he possibly in part unwittingly unleashed a tornado with the quickie Roth reunion, coupled with a denial of what the classic lineup meant to people. A snoball turning into an avalanche.

If all it took to sour the deal was Dave being Dave, then Ed, as good of a player as he is, is also a hypersensitive pussy. And I don't buy that bullshit about Cherone not being approached until after the MVA's. Not for a minute. They had Cherone on ice, possibly to see if Dave was going to defer to the Van Halen's and play it their way.

Big Troubles
03-12-2004, 05:37 PM
Well said. Word for word.

VH LINKS SUCKS
03-13-2004, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by Terry
Ed, Al and Mike knew what they were getting when they fumbled around with Dave in 1996. When Dave was in that band, he was the frontman, did the majority of the non-guitar mag press and represented the band on MTV.

See, Ed got too used to being the focal point of the band after Dave left. Made sense that people would concentrate on Eddie after the 1985 split, because Sam Hagar couldn't hold his own when paired with Eddie.

And that 1996 MVA appearance by Van Halen WAS about Dave rejoining the band. Do you think anyone would have cared if just Ed, Al and Mike walked out there to give Beck his award? The only reason Van Halen were even there to begin with was BECAUSE Roth was supposedly back together with the band.

The Van Halens never had any intention of doing anything long term with Dave beyond those two tracks, and just wanted Dave's participation to help them move more units of their Best Of Vol 1 album. The media were hyping the reunion, and the Van Halen brothers were looking for any excuse to throw Roth out without looking like a couple of dipshits. They fumbled at straws with that lame-ass excuse of Dave being disrespectful to Beck and some heated words backstage between Ed and Dave to torpedo the whole thing.

Probably the only thing that can be said in Eddie's defense is that he possibly in part unwittingly unleashed a tornado with the quickie Roth reunion, coupled with a denial of what the classic lineup meant to people. A snoball turning into an avalanche.

If all it took to sour the deal was Dave being Dave, then Ed, as good of a player as he is, is also a hypersensitive pussy. And I don't buy that bullshit about Cherone not being approached until after the MVA's. Not for a minute. They had Cherone on ice, possibly to see if Dave was going to defer to the Van Halen's and play it their way.

GREAT FUCKING POST DUDE!!! WELL SAID!!!

Fuck dude, you have to post some of this at the Stinks so they get it through their dumb ass little pea brain!
They'll just have to settle for Van Hagar while they insist we live in the past with Van Halen.:rolleyes: