PDA

View Full Version : New Yankee Stadium

POJO_Risin
06-16-2005, 01:32 AM
I know they are one of the only clubs that can...but it's good to see someone finally take the fucking taxpayers OUT of the equation...of course...I'm sure Steiney...will gauge the fuck out of the fans...but hey...it's the price you have to pay...

POJO_Risin
06-16-2005, 01:33 AM
Ballpark figures
Steinbrenner unveils plans for $800 million stadium
Posted: Wednesday June 15, 2005 7:15PM; Updated: Wednesday June 15, 2005 8:29PM

NEW YORK (AP) -- Babe Ruth got a short right-field porch in the original Yankee Stadium. Alex Rodriguez won't be getting similar assistance in New York's new $800 million ballpark.

"A-Rod doesn't need any help," Yankees owner George Steinbrenner said Wednesday as the team unveiled plans for the ballpark it hopes to move into in 2009.

Flanked by New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg and New York Gov. George Pataki, Steinbrenner did not make a formal statement but responded to questions. Since he bought the team in 1973, the Yankees had examined several ballpark alternatives, including a move to New Jersey or to Manhattan's West Side -- the site where the NFL's Jets hoped to have a stadium before the plan collapsed this month.

"We've had a lot of different things in front of us, whether we go over to there, over here," Steinbrenner said. "But we decided to stay in the Bronx and do the job for the Bronx."

Much of the hour-long news conference was dominated by politicians congratulating each other for the plan, which the Yankees hope gains approval in the fall from the state Legislature and City Council. The new ballpark will be just north of the current stadium, which opened in 1923, and the Yankees hope to break ground next spring.

"They're not the Westchester Bombers, they're not the Manhattan Bombers, they're certainly not the New Jersey Bombers," Pataki said. "They're the Bronx Bombers and they're going to be in the Bronx for a long, long time to come."

It will be just the third privately financed stadium in the major leagues since Dodger Stadium opened in 1962, joining the San Francisco Giants' new ballpark (2000) and the park the St. Louis Cardinals are to move into next year.

Working with Goldman Sachs and Bank of America, the Yankees intend to pay for the ballpark by having a local development corporation created by the city and state issue 40-year tax-free bonds. The bonds will cost about $50 million annually for the team to pay off, with the exact depending on interest rates at the time of the issue.

Flanked by Mayor Michael Bloomberg (left) and Governor George Pataki, Yankees owner George Steinbrenner responded to questions.
AP
The team estimates its annual stadium expense will increase from $22 million to $68 million, money that will be deducted from its locally generated revenue when calculating revenue-sharing payments to major league baseball.

Assuming the revenue-sharing rules don't change substantially after the current collective bargaining agreement expires in December 2006, the ballpark payments will cut the revenue-sharing money some teams otherwise would receive.

"They may be the only unhappy people as a result of this deal," Yankees president Randy Levine said.

Yankee Stadium is the third-oldest ballpark in the major leagues, trailing only Boston's Fenway Park (1912) and Chicago's Wrigley Field (1914). The Red Sox intend to keep improving Fenway.

"We can't spend all our time worrying about what might or might not be in the Yankees' plans," Red Sox president Larry Lucchino said. "I say, 'Good luck' to them. We chose a different path, one that we think will enable us to compete with them, because money ain't everything."

The Yankees unveiled a model of the ballpark, which on the outside will be treated with limestone and resemble Yankee Stadium prior to its 1974-75 renovation. It will seat from 50,800 to 54,000, with about 30,000 seats in the lower deck, an increase of approximately 10,000. The field dimensions will remain as they are currently, and the bullpens will be moved back to right field. Monument Park will move to the new ballpark, and a stadium club will be added above it.

Levine said the new ballpark also will be called "Yankee Stadium," but that the team may sell naming rights and have the ballpark called "Yankee Stadium at 'X' Plaza." Steinbrenner said the team rejected having a retractable roof.

"There was a discussion, but the cost was very extraordinary," he said.

Yankees captain Derek Jeter didn't think the team would lose any of the advantage it holds at Yankee Stadium.

"It's the team, it's the stadium, it's the atmosphere," he said. "It's going to be a new stadium, but it's going to be the same atmosphere."

Tampa Bay manager Lou Piniella, a former Yankees manager and player, said a new ballpark was in order.

"It's been a wonderful place -- and it still is -- to play. But for fans' convenience and the luxury suites and all those things, yeah, I think it's time," he said.

Because the new stadium is in what currently are Macombs Dam and John Mullaly parks, the city will spend $135 million to develop 28 acres of new parks and sports facilities, including six acres along Harlem River. The current Yankee Stadium field will be used for Little League, high school, college and softball, and the dugout and some stands might be kept.

There also will be tennis and handballs courts, a basketball court with bleachers and soccer field surrounded by a running track and seating.

The state will spend $70 million for four parking garages that will increase parking from about 7,000 to approximately 11,000.

Bloomberg, who announced a new ballpark for the Mets on Sunday, said the city had spent $30 million on Yankee Stadium upkeep over the last five years and would realize $350 million in revenue and savings from this deal over the next 30.

In New York, lawsuits and construction delays often postpone openings. Even if the ballpark is ready in 2009, that's a long time away for many.

"I could be three teams removed by then," Red Sox manager Terry Francona said.

Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

POJO_Risin
06-16-2005, 01:34 AM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/baseball/mlb/06/15/yankees.new.stadium.ap/p1.new.stadium.ap.jpg

POJO_Risin
06-16-2005, 01:35 AM
Here it is...screw that link...

POJO_Risin
06-16-2005, 01:37 AM
And apparently Billy Martin is rising from the dead to manage the club...

Bob_R
06-16-2005, 07:54 AM
June 15, 2005

NEW YORK — While the $208 million New York Yankees were taking batting practice Wednesday, principal owner George Steinbrenner was announcing his newest investment, the building of a new Yankee Stadium to be opened in 2009. Steinbrenner admitted the $800 million he's dishing out for construction was a lot of money, but knew it would be something the fans would be happy about, since the Yankees' current fourth place status in the American League East isn't giving them anything to smile about.

The Mayor, the Governor and the Boss review the designs of the stadium's gate.
"This project once again demonstrates George Steinbrenner's commitment to Yankee fans and why he stands out amongst all owners in sports," said Yankees President Randy Levine.

Levine also spoke how Yankee Stadium, "the great cathedral of baseball," is considered "nonfunctional," at the present time. New York Gov. George Pataki said the current stadium is simply too expensive to maintain, while concluding the city of New York needs things to rally around.

Ironically, right now, the same could be said for the team, which has played to a mediocre 32-32 record.

The new stadium will incorporate the best elements of both the original, erected in 1923, and the renovated design completed in 1976, complete with state-of-the-art amenities and conveniences. The main concourse is designed in a way that will allow fans to see the baseball field while walking around and utilizing many of the new facilities.

Steve Swindal, a general partner and Steinbrenner's son-in-law, said the venue will be the "finest stadium in the world and a tribute to the fans."

Therefore, the Yankee organization and government officials collectively agreed it wouldn't be built anywhere but the Bronx.

"When we started this project we wanted to make sure this project was something the community really wanted and something that benefited the Bronx," Levine said. "We made sure the businesses and residents wouldn't be displaced, and they won't. We were determined the area around the stadium be improved, and it will be. We were determined that our investment, coupled with those of the government into infrastructure and transportation, would be a tax benefit to the city and state, and it will be. We want to ensure that thousands of jobs will be created and that there will be a strong minority jobs program, and there will be."

"It looks like it's going to be a special place," said Joe Torre. "This is a special place, no question, but it's old, and to be able to keep it in the same neighborhood, I think is pretty fortunate to do that.

"It's progress. The way they're building stadiums nowadays, I'm sure they'll do it the right way."

The Yankees' motto has always been to honor the past and keep things traditional. The new stadium will retain the best of the old while preserving the existing features that have made Yankee Stadium a landmark.

"You always hear stories about the Yankees and the history of the Yankees," said Mariano Rivera. "When you live it, it's a lot different. I've had the opportunity to be a part of that and live it. There's nothing better. It's going to be something great for the city and for the fans."

"I think it's a great day," said Derek Jeter. "There's a lot of history here at the stadium and a lot of good memories. And now we'll try and take them across the street."

Yankee Stadium will always be a historic place, whether it's a working ballpark or a museum, which is what the current stadium will be turned into. But the Yankee dynasty has strugged since 2001 and may have been officially put to rest after last year's dramatic ALCS. As of now, there are no obstacles that will stop this project in the Bronx from being successful.

Governor Pataki ended his portion of the press conference by reminding everyone, "something special is happening here." That's off the field. Yankees fans don't want to wait another four years to actually see something extraordinary happen on it.

Va Beach VH Fan
06-16-2005, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
The team estimates its annual stadium expense will increase from $22 million to $68 million, money that will be deducted from its locally generated revenue when calculating revenue-sharing payments to major league baseball.

Assuming the revenue-sharing rules don't change substantially after the current collective bargaining agreement expires in December 2006, the ballpark payments will cut the revenue-sharing money some teams otherwise would receive.

"They may be the only unhappy people as a result of this deal," Yankees president Randy Levine said.

That's it, screw the small-market teams a little more.....

P.S., I don't want to fucking hear it.....

POJO_Risin
06-16-2005, 10:56 AM
Good...maybe some of the cities that don't deserve a baseball team will lost their teams...

then the revenue sharing will be up again...

Va Beach VH Fan
06-16-2005, 02:30 PM
Hehehe, trying to stir my pot, I see...

Touche'.........

POJO_Risin
06-16-2005, 02:33 PM
No...actually no...

but your ire shouldn't be at Steinbrenner...it should be on the 29 other owners who consistently allow him to get away with this overspending bullshit...

and that joke of a fucking commisioner...who's lining up to keep his job past 2006...which is a fucking joke...

Va Beach VH Fan
06-16-2005, 03:28 PM
I'll give ya that much, agreed...

Redballjets88
06-16-2005, 03:30 PM
what should they name it?
i say something with babe ruth....got any name thoughts for the new cowboys stadium?

Bob_R
06-16-2005, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Redballjets88
what should they name it?
i say something with babe ruth...

It's still going to be named Yankee Stadium.

POJO_Risin
06-16-2005, 06:12 PM
It couldn't or shouldn't be named anything other than Yankee Stadium...

Nickdfresh
06-16-2005, 06:18 PM
Well, at least STEINBRENNER is paying his own way.

The fucking JETS wanted to saddle the economically fucked upstate part of NY with $300 million for their now defunt stadium project.