PDA

View Full Version : Me Wise Magic

Va Beach VH Fan
06-16-2005, 02:29 PM
I've said it several times, but IMO MWM and CGTSNM are mediocre CVH songs, and fans clamored over them because of their desire to hear ANYTHING CVH....

But everytime I listen to Me Wise Magic, I'm continually disappointed in the vocal range selections for that song...

Dave's either got his voice at TOO high a octal range, clearly straining IMO, and then turns right around TOO low, whereas it's not even singing at that point...

I dunno, why does everyone think that the vocal ranges for that song were selected like that ???

Think the Van Heinikens had anything to do with that ??

DrMaddVibe
06-16-2005, 07:22 PM
I think those 2 songs are awesome and a last will and testament to what Dave brought to Van Halen.

Ed's solos after the inner ear riff line blows away ANYTHING that fuck did with Van Hagar/Gay Halen.

Time froze and so did his talents.

I think that this was Dave showing us what Van Halen with Dave in the driver's seat would sound like. Too much effort on their part to keep it up so hire Gay and fleece the sheep again with another poor singer for a stellar band.

Terry
06-16-2005, 09:13 PM
Think some of it may have been due to the fact that it took Dave some time to choose from the song ideas Ed had been coming up with.

Agreed his voice does sound strained on the pre-chorus bits. Kinda dig how he talked through the verses, though. His vocals could have been a little further up front in the mix on that one, IMO.

Also, according to Dave the Van Halens weren't really rehearsing with him during that period, and he hadn't sung since his Vegas stint ended. Roth does sound on both MWM and CGTSNM like he's just warming up at times.

MWM sounds a little over-produced, so maybe Glenn Ballard had some input and threw in some ideas on how Dave should sing it. And Dave probably went along with some of the suggestions so as not to rock the boat, and show the Van Halens that he could get along with them.

I dig both tunes, myself.

canadiandlrgirl
06-17-2005, 01:44 AM
i like those songs...i don't think there was anything wrong with Dave's vocals on them....and besides i'd rather listen to Daves forced vocals then any of that hagar shit:p

Va Beach VH Fan
06-17-2005, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Terry
And Dave probably went along with some of the suggestions so as not to rock the boat, and show the Van Halens that he could get along with them.

I think you nailed it right there Terry....

Terry
06-18-2005, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
I think you nailed it right there Terry....

I still dig the track and what Roth did with it, VA. But even the lyrics in some of it come across as a little too non-Dave, vs. CGTSNM.

zeronumber
06-18-2005, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
I've said it several times, but IMO MWM and CGTSNM are mediocre CVH songs, and fans clamored over them because of their desire to hear ANYTHING CVH....

But everytime I listen to Me Wise Magic, I'm continually disappointed in the vocal range selections for that song...

Dave's either got his voice at TOO high a octal range, clearly straining IMO, and then turns right around TOO low, whereas it's not even singing at that point...

I dunno, why does everyone think that the vocal ranges for that song were selected like that ???

Think the Van Heinikens had anything to do with that ??

First off, those songs kick total ass, So I don't know where you get the whole 'mediocore' shit from. Frankly, those 2 songs alone burry the entire diver down, and is probably some of their best work ever. Frankly, I love those songs because fankly, it was something that sounded like vh, but yet sounded like something that was never done before with sam or dave. Every time I hear those songs, I just wonder what could have been on the "Van halen 3" cd, if dave was in the band, instead of what was the really medicore styles with cherone. As for the lack of vocal range, I thought it was good balance with MWM, where dave puts a nice base for his talking voice, and gets a nice octave higher with the chorus, granted it didn't have the classic screaches, but at the same time, it would have been too tagged on to do those on the song. Plus, we know why it kicked ass and was the only reason why that damn greatest hits cd went double platinum.(Like any vh fan would buy a cd if it didn't have new songs with dave on it, or at least sammy?)