PDA

View Full Version : Comcast on Dave

Warham
06-16-2005, 05:43 PM
Here's an excerpt from Comcast Rhapsody radio on Diamond Dave:

Say what you want about Eddie Van Halen's groundbreaking guitar playing, Diamond Dave was the heart and soul of Van Halen (the band). After he left, both suffered, but for a minute there it seemed as if he might surpass his former bandmates. In Van Halen, Roth's big mouth, leering, mock carnal presence and over-the-top macho posturing crossed with a Broadway show tune sensibility to give the band the sexiness and outsized sense of fun that completely disappeared when Van Halen carried on with Sammy Hagar. Roth started his solo career while still in Van Halen, cutting the covers EP Crazy From the Heat (1985), which featured the hit singles "California Girls" and "Just a Gigolo." On Roth's first two post-Van Halen records he had a heavy-hitting core band, featuring budding guitar hero Steve Vai, superbassist Billy Sheehan (later of Mr. Big fame), and Maynard Ferguson alumni, drummer Greg Bissonette. Eat 'Em and Smile (1986) and Skyscraper (1988) were both multiplatinum hits, featuring plenty of heavy guitar bluster and Roth's patented "Ethel Merman of Hard Rock" persona. His subsequent records were not really as popular; his star went into something of a descent, culminating with a bust for buying weed in N.Y.C.'s Washington Square Park. There was also the embarrassing announcement that he was rejoining Van Halen, which proved not to be the case. However stalled his career may seem, he can take pride in knowing that he has never worked with (Hagar's replacement) Gary Cherone.

- Tom Heyman

POJO_Risin
06-16-2005, 05:48 PM
That about nails it on the head...

Roth...the heart and the soul...

you take away the heart...and you get a cowardly fucking lion...or spED...

mewisemagic
06-16-2005, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
That about nails it on the head...

Roth...the heart and the soul...

you take away the heart...and you get a cowardly fucking lion...or spED...

100% Agreed!

Thorman
06-16-2005, 06:39 PM
Either get back with the boys or put that mean band from 86 back together again...that first solo album rocked

squib
06-16-2005, 08:15 PM
In Van Halen, Roth's big mouth, leering, mock carnal presence and over-the-top macho posturing crossed with a Broadway show tune sensibility to give the band the sexiness and outsized sense of fun that completely disappeared when Van Halen carried on with Sammy Hagar.

Pretty well sums it up

Panamark
06-16-2005, 11:32 PM
I dont agree that the dope bust ended his career. The rest of the article is pretty cool !

hollywood5150
06-16-2005, 11:40 PM
I agree

Hardrock69
06-16-2005, 11:55 PM
Hey the dope bust gave him free publicity for something a majority of people would not consider a serious offense...

katie
06-17-2005, 04:39 AM
And all publicity is good publicity as long as they spell your name right.

jero
06-17-2005, 09:25 AM
well said!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SweetSecrets
06-17-2005, 04:41 PM
That is a good journalist. He used a lot of cool adjectives that perfectly represent the REAL Van Halen...

"Sexiest and Outsized sense of fun"

Rock on!

VHdamaco
06-17-2005, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Thorman
Either get back with the boys or put that mean band from 86 back together again...that first solo album rocked

the hell...

when did you convert/ when were you realised as an alias...

Thorman
06-17-2005, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by VHdamaco
the hell...

when did you convert/ when were you realised as an alias...

I was never an alias...if you didnt have me on ignore buddy you would have got my apology...I sent you one, along with a few others, but I guess you didnt get the PM...too bad dude...go back and check out the threads and you will see what happened...

Roth rocks!

thome
06-17-2005, 11:46 PM
I like much of that paragraph but you got wrong info dont beleive
that stuff Daves music has never suffered daves career has never
suffered 70% of everery line hes ever written is great ,arrangement
on n on n on thbeat dont stop till the break of dawn.
thats someone elses opinion
album sales are not a description of TALENT
scoring a strawberry of gangeeee dont mean nuthin

word to ever ones mutta talented people are not juged
by what people say just dig it or dont

Redballjets88
06-17-2005, 11:51 PM
album sells make the person/band though whether anyone likes it or not....if van halen never got big sells they wouldnt be as popular...small selling bands dont get world tours and make music videos or get famous....talent can only get you so far...a lot more goes toward the final goal

thome
06-18-2005, 12:03 AM
Money and popularity are not a decription of talent

skill or acumen

Redballjets88
06-18-2005, 12:04 AM
actually it kinda is...a band or 4 people with down syndrome isnt going too far..

Redballjets88
06-18-2005, 12:04 AM
of^

thome
06-18-2005, 12:10 AM
If dave records a tune in the forest and nobody is around to hear it
does that mean it sucks

now thats deep

rustoffa
06-18-2005, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by thome
If dave records a tune in the forest and nobody is around to hear it
does that mean it sucks

now thats deep

Well, we all know that beetles and shit don't really hear anything....but what about the chipmunks?

Squirrels and raccoons...bears and fucking yetti's!!!

Do you hear that? Those motherfuckers do.

Look at all the critters hear tonight!!!

thome
06-18-2005, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by thome
I like much of that paragraph but you got wrong info dont beleive
that stuff Daves music has never suffered daves career has never
suffered 70% of everery line hes ever written is great ,arrangement
on n on n on thbeat dont stop till the break of dawn.
thats someone elses opinion
album sales are not a description of TALENT
scoring a strawberry of gangeeee dont mean nuthin

word to ever ones mutta talented people are not juged
by what people say just dig it or dont

Wat makes me akock stud stand back a foot slide it in then walk forward raskle is when i tell some dude not to make judgement
calls on other peeps op should he value my op I RULE THESE

STREETS THE """CONTROLLING FREEK""""

SoldMySoul4RnR
06-18-2005, 09:32 AM
Sadly, when it comes to the music industry these days...talent is only optional.

Lol seeing Thorman make pro-Dave posts is like Paris Hilton saying "I'm a poor, intelligent, selfless, virgin". LOL! I can't get used to it.

Redballjets88
06-18-2005, 09:35 AM
that is true...no one in this emo scene is original every band is the same 4 nameless guys that whines and talks about wanting to commit suicide. it just pisses me off that the days of screamin' guitars and rock n roll have been replaced by whiny lyrics and eye makeup...that isnt cool

Hardrock69
06-18-2005, 03:51 PM
I seriously wanna see a band so pathetic that their only claim to fame is that they all committed suicide onstage at the same time....

katie
06-19-2005, 06:37 AM
An ounce of image is worth a pound of talent - DLR

It's not weather you win or lose, it's how good you looked while doing it! - DLR

thome
06-19-2005, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by rustoffa
Well, we all know that beetles and shit don't really hear anything....but what about the chipmunks?

Squirrels and raccoons...bears and fucking yetti's!!!

Do you hear that? Those motherfuckers do.

Look at all the critters hear tonight!!!
At the time they were livin LARGE on gubment' cheese
On vacation in FRIDG-ID ALANSburge Siberia
Chillin'

evans5150
07-12-2005, 11:56 AM
word.