PDA

View Full Version : Goss has "excellent" Idea where Bin Laden is

LoungeMachine
06-20-2005, 12:47 AM
· CIA Chief Has 'Excellent' Idea Where bin Laden Is
· AP
"We have some weak links," CIA Director Porter Goss said.

WASHINGTON (June 19) - CIA Director Porter Goss said he has an "excellent" idea where Osama bin Laden is hiding, but the al-Qaida leader will not be brought to justice until weak links in counterterrorism efforts are strengthened, TIME magazine reported on Sunday.

In his first interview since becoming head of the CIA last year, Goss also told the magazine the insurgency in Iraq was not quite in its last throes, but close to it.

Goss did not say where he believed bin Laden was hiding, but intelligence experts have said the al-Qaida leader who has evaded an extensive U.S.-led manhunt is probably in the border region of Pakistan and Afghanistan.

"I have an excellent idea of where he is. What's the next question?" Goss said in the interview.

"In the chain that you need to successfully wrap up the war on terror, we have some weak links. And I find that until we strengthen all the links, we're probably not going to be able to bring Mr. bin Laden to justice," Goss said. "We are making very good progress on it."

He cited some of the difficulties as "dealing with sanctuaries in sovereign states, you're dealing with a problem of our sense of international obligation, fair play."

Goss added, "We have to find a way to work in a conventional world in unconventional ways that are acceptable to the international community."

Al-Qaida could strike the United States again, he said. "Certainly the intent is very high. And we are trying to stay ahead of their capability. And so far, I think we have done pretty well carrying the war to them, as it were," Goss said.

"We have to find a way to work in a conventional world in unconventional ways that are acceptable to the international community."
-CIA Chief Porter Goss

Bin Laden and his deputy, Ayman al-Zawahri, sporadically release taped messages that have been broadcast on Arab television or on the Internet since the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. Intelligence experts say the messages are partly to reassure followers that the leaders are still alive.

In the most recent message, a videotape broadcast by Arabic television Al Jazeera on Friday, Zawahri said reform in Muslim countries and "expelling the invaders" could not be accomplished except by fighting.

Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, a key figure behind the insurgency in Iraq, is aligned with Al-Qaida.

Vice President Dick Cheney has said the insurgency was in the "last throes." President George W. Bush added that it would be wrong to set a timetable for withdrawing U.S. forces from Iraq. He said the troops will stay until local security forces are trained to take over.

"I think they're not quite in the last throes, but I think they are very close to it," Goss said. "And I think that every day that goes by in Iraq where they have their own government and it's moving forward reinforces just how radical (the insurgents) are and how unwanted they are."

Sen. John McCain, an Arizona Republican, disagreed on Sunday that the insurgency was in the last throes.

"I don't think Americans believe that we should cut and run out of Iraq by any stretch of the imagination. But I think they also would like to be told, in reality, what's going on," McCain said on NBC's "Meet The Press."

"I think part of that is it's going to be at least a couple more years," he said.

Goss expressed relief the new director of national intelligence, John Negroponte, was taking over what previously had been some of the key functions of the CIA director.

"I would almost equate it to getting rid of a 60-pound back sack, climbing up a big, steep trail," Goss said.

He said he planned to stay as CIA chief for a while.

"We've got a lot to do. We're in the process of rebuilding here. I think this is our moment. I'm going to be here as long as the moment lasts. And I think it is going to last a while because we have the opportunity to build," he said.

Panamark
06-20-2005, 04:41 AM
If the CIA knew exactly where Bin Laden was. There would be no amount of international courtesy
or diplomacy that would stop them going in. Is this the same
guy that supplied proof of Weapons of Mass Destruction ???
(By any chance ?)

Va Beach VH Fan
06-20-2005, 10:34 AM
I'm pretty tired of every Tom, Dick, and Harry spouting that "they have an idea where he is", or something close to it...

Anyone whose ever served any time in the military knows what Operational Security (OPSEC) is...

If you have an idea where he is, you DON'T tell the press that, you dumb shit...

LoungeMachine
06-20-2005, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
I'm pretty tired of every Tom, Dick, and Harry spouting that "they have an idea where he is", or something close to it...

Anyone whose ever served any time in the military knows what Operational Security (OPSEC) is...

If you have an idea where he is, you DON'T tell the press that, you dumb shit...

Those who know, don't talk....

Those who talk, don't know

:cool:

knuckleboner
06-20-2005, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan

on the other hand...

if you DON'T know where he is, you might try to spook him into moving around, so you've got a better chance of getting a lead on him...;)

that said, i love goss' concept:

and on that note, i, knuckleboner, would like to announce that i have an excellent idea where jimmy hoffa is buried. unfortunately, the difficulties in dealing with private property ownership may prevent me from publicly identifying the location.

Seshmeister
06-20-2005, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
He cited some of the difficulties as "dealing with sanctuaries in sovereign states, you're dealing with a problem of our sense of international obligation, fair play."

The guy either thinks we're idiots or has a great sense of humor...

Guitar Shark
06-20-2005, 11:45 AM
My vote is for the former.

Nickdfresh
06-20-2005, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
· CIA Chief Has 'Excellent' Idea Where bin Laden Is
· AP
"We have some weak links," CIA Director Porter Goss said.

WASHINGTON (June 19) - CIA Director Porter Goss said he has an "excellent" idea where Osama bin Laden is hiding, but the al-Qaida leader will not be brought to justice until weak links in counterterrorism efforts are strengthened...

You mean he's in PAKISTAN? Oh good, let's invade IRAQ!
http://www.mundoposible.cl/imagenes/ir-atack3.jpg

steve
06-21-2005, 10:48 AM
This guy sounds like our version of "The Information Minister"
:)

http://www.theinformationminister.com/press.php?ID=612302119