X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ALMOSTsaved
    Veteran
    • Feb 2004

Knucklebones!

When I first bought the "Skyscraper" cassette on the day it was released, "Kucklebones" and "Hina" quickly became my fave songs on the album.

Now, after making a DLR compilation disc, I've renewed by love for these 2 tunes.

Anyone else agree that these are 2 of Dave's strongest efforts as a solo artist?
    I like to pay close attention to the things I'll forget later...
  • DavidLeeNatra
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

agree on knucklebones but never got into hina. skyscraper is my dave album which is not that much in my CD player anyway....

what I miss on skyscraper is the "live" feeling of the songs. especially on knucklebones you can hear dave singing "question" and "answer" oerlaying each other so you know it wasn't done live...and that was disturbing me a lot when I first listened to it...
    Roth Army Icon
    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• academic punk
      Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

I've always liked Hina - thought it was the best thing on the album both musically and lyrically - and I've always HATED Knucklebones.

I remember the anticiaption I had for what amazing guitar trick would open the album (I mean, after Yankee Rose, who could figure out what INSANE stunt Dave and Steve would pull off on the next albums opening moments???), and instead you get this lame "plink plink plink". It sounds like the sort of opening you would use if you were just rehearsing the song for a demo. The solo is also nothing particularly special, and I HATE Dave's lyrics: "I'm going on tour, come to the show, it's gonna be SO much fun!!!" Please.

It might well be my very most hated Dave tune. In fact, it competes with The Bottom Line and Hot Dog and a Shake for that dubious honor.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by academic punk
        I remember the anticiaption I had for what amazing guitar trick would open the album (I mean, after Yankee Rose, who could figure out what INSANE stunt Dave and Steve would pull off on the next albums opening moments???), and instead you get this lame "plink plink plink".
        "plink plink plink"

It's surely not my fave album by Dave, but "Two fools born a minute" is the one for me.
        "Knucklebones" (aka "plink plink plink") is disappointing because of the fucking keyboard, as almost through the whole record.
        "Hina", with that brilliant intro, gets so disappointing when the chorus comes ("Hiiiiiiiinaaaaaaaaaa!"). Every time it makes me skip just before.
        posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
        posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• Last_Child
          Commando
          • Oct 2004

I like Knucklebones but Two Fools A Minute is fookin Graate!
          "With a rate of fire of over 20 rounds per second, the IMI Micro Uzi is almost as fast as Yngwie Malmsteen, and 25.4 times more musical"

Worst of all... It's true..

Comment

• Bill Lumbergh
            ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

Both great tunes, no doubt. Knucklebones always gets the spirits up, and Hina is definitely a slight departure for Dave. Great stuff, off of a VERY underrated album.

Comment

• Redballjets88
              Full Member Status

• Mar 2005

i skip kuncklebones most the time and same with skyscraper...but i listen to every other song and love them
              R.I.P Van Halen 1978-1984

hopefully God will ressurect you

"i wont be messing with you in future.the fearsome redballjets88 for fear of you owning me some more" Axl S

" I liked Sammy Hagar " FORD

Comment

• thome
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Mar 2005

I love HINA had a woman i felt exactly like that song was mine. I find good in
                all daves music thats why im here That tune used to crush me

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

my favorite song from this album is and will always be "damn good"
                  Roth Army Icon
                  First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• DlocRoth
                    ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
                    my favorite song from this album is and will always be "damn good"
                    Swish.
                    Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Comment

• Tiger Roth
                      Groupie
                      • Jul 2004

Knucklebones is a monster track to open the album - I love it.
                      Hina???...mmm not really a fan of that one.

Comment

• VonHalen
                        Foot Soldier
                        • Jul 2005

i like how daves albums are different.

Comment

• hollywood5150
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Sep 2004

both good tunes.........

I GET IN TO A PHASE OR TWO WHEN SOMETIMES ALL I DO IS LISTEN TO ONE SONG ALL DAY

I have done that with both.........HINA more often...........

you learn to listen to every aspect of the song.

especially with headphones or when your alone driving in your car on a secluded road watching the sunset....

makes for great nostalgia/memories

Comment

• VonHalen
                            Foot Soldier
                            • Jul 2005

i still like hotdog and a shake

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
                              Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
                              agree on knucklebones but never got into hina. skyscraper is my dave album which is not that much in my CD player anyway....

what I miss on skyscraper is the "live" feeling of the songs. especially on knucklebones you can hear dave singing "question" and "answer" oerlaying each other so you know it wasn't done live...and that was disturbing me a lot when I first listened to it...
                              I have that same feeling when I hear Knucklebones. I keep wondering how many takes they edited together to make the song. The same thing during the Skyscraper Tour. They had Dave "tracked" so he was part of his background vocals. The problem was (at least the night I saw him- Ottawa) that Dave's backup vocals were mixed too high and you could hear him clearly. It bothered me because it just wasn't live if he had pre-recorded background vocals. I know it's quite common sometimes, but if you don't notice, there's no problem.

Hina is one of my fave DLR tunes.
                              Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

Working...