Democrats: When the law doesn't favor your party, change the law!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Ashcroft
    Veteran
    • Jan 2004

Democrats: When the law doesn't favor your party, change the law!

With support building for the change, Beacon Hill Democrats filed legislation yesterday to strip Governor Mitt Romney of his power to fill the Senate seat that Democratic presidential candidate John F. Kerry would vacate if he wins in November.

The bill, sponsored by the House and Senate cochairmen of the Joint Committee on Elections Laws, would mandate a special election within 105 to 130 days after a vacancy in the Senate is declared. The seat would not be filled temporarily.

One top Massachusetts Democratic leader said he is confident that the bill will whisk through with enough votes to override an expected Romney veto. House Speaker Thomas M. Finneran said yesterday that the Legislature would take a serious look at the proposal.

"We will have to examine that honestly and in depth with some hearings," Finneran said at a breakfast meeting of the South Shore Chamber of Commerce in Quincy.

Leaders in the House and Senate held back endorsement of the plan, although Representative William M. Straus and Senator Brian A. Joyce, chairmen of the Joint Committee on Election Laws, said they had solid support from the heavily Democratic Legislature to pass the bill.

No shit!, I wonder how long Massachussetts Governors have had the authority to appoint replacement Senators. I guess the law was fine and dandy so long as it was a Democrat Governor doing the appointing.

Said Joyce, a Milton Democrat: "My sense is that there is fairly strong support in the Senate, and Bill says there is a strong support in the House."

Only Oregon and Washington provide for special elections to fill a vacated Senate seat.

Currently, under a longstanding law, the governor appoints an interim senator who serves until the next statewide election. In the case of a Kerry resignation, a Romney-appointed interim senator, presumably a Republican, would serve until the 2006 election.

The move to change the system, which surfaced two weeks ago, has set off partisan attacks and counterattacks. A host of prominent Democrats are quietly eyeing the Senate seat. Also, there are high national political stakes because of the razor thin division in the US Senate.

Romney denounced the bill yesterday, saying that the Democrats are indulging in "speculation and gossip" about who will get to chose the next US senator. He said it was "just wishful thinking" that Kerry will beat President Bush.

"This is nothing but a transparent power grab by a monopoly party that wants to change the rules in the middle of the game to keep the old boys' club in power," said a statement released by Romney's office.

The governor also said that a campaign for the US Senate should allow sufficient time for fund-raising and "a full discussion of the issues through a normal primary campaign and general election."

"The only people who benefit from a shotgun election are incumbent congressmen with large war chests," Romney said. "In Massachusetts, that means women and people of color are shut out of the process."

Democrats said Romney's insistence on making the interim, two-year appointment is an effort to ensure that the Republicans can obtain one of the state's most highly prized political positions. They say his argument is inconsistent with his promotion of himself as a reformer who eschews patronage and politics as usual.

"I can't think of a public policy reason for denying to the voters the chance to pick the US senator and deny the governor this old-style patronage plum," said Straus, a Democrat from Mattapoisett.

Except when a Democrat Governor gets to pick of course...

Secretary of State William F. Galvin, the Commonwealth's chief election officer, sounded some concerns about the details. He said that he wants to make sure the time frame for the election is sufficient for candidates to gather the necessary 10,000 certified voter signatures to qualify for the ballot.

Link: here
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

"This is nothing but a transparent power grab by a monopoly party that wants to change the rules in the middle of the game to keep the old boys' club in power," said a statement released by Romney's office.
    The Republicans control the entire federal government, the media, and even the Democratic party machine through their moles in the DLC, and yet Shit Romney thinks the Democrats have a "monopoly" .

Monopoly of WHAT, exactly??

And for the record, I'm not defending Judas here. I think personally that if he's so fucking arrogant to think he deserves to be President after 3 years of Bush enabling, then he and his backers shouldn't have anything to say about how the state fills the position.

The voters of Massachussetes SHOULD have that say, however. They should have put this bill on the ballot in 2002 before Kerry was running, and then nobody could have made an issue out of it.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• ScrewEddie

Nice try!

Like the Republikins didn't change the rules in the Texas redistricting. From now on it's screw or get screwed. I hope the Mass Dems legislate every Republikin right out of the state. Besides, the legislature makes the laws. They can change them. All's fair in love and war. I believe it was your hero, Newt, who said politics is just war without bloodshed. Bring it on, mo' fo.

Comment

• Viking
        Veteran
        • Jan 2004

*BELCH*

Comment

• ELVIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2003

What did he say ??

Comment

• BigBadBrian
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Re: Nice try!

Originally posted by ScrewEddie
            Like the Republikins didn't change the rules in the Texas redistricting. From now on it's screw or get screwed. I hope the Mass Dems legislate every Republikin right out of the state. Besides, the legislature makes the laws. They can change them. All's fair in love and war. I believe it was your hero, Newt, who said politics is just war without bloodshed. Bring it on, mo' fo.
            Lexington, KY, huh? Hmmmm...........................
            “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• John Ashcroft
              Veteran
              • Jan 2004

Uh, the Republicans followed the redistricting rules in Texas. It's the Dems that had a problem with the rules, the same rules they used to their advantage in the past, when they didn't favor their party. Spin won't work 'round here bubba.

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by John Ashcroft
                Uh, the Republicans followed the redistricting rules in Texas. It's the Dems that had a problem with the rules, the same rules they used to their advantage in the past, when they didn't favor their party. Spin won't work 'round here bubba.
                They did NOT follow the rules. They did the legal redistricting which happens every 10 years after the census. Then DeLay bitched and whined because it didn't create enough advantage for the Republicans - which is hard enough to imagine in TEXAS, for Christ's sake!

Furthermore, DeLay shouldn't have even involved himself in the business of the Texas state legislature. The asshole has a bigger ego than Sammy Hagar.
                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Dr. Love
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Jan 2004

Whatever... the Texas Republicans, by forcing the issue when the Governor called special session after special session WASTED 25 MILLION DOLLARS of Texas taxes. The Texas Democrats, by running away, wasted 25 MILLION DOLLARS of Texas taxes.

All over something so stupid as a blatant attempt to grab more seats. I don't care which party does it (in the past, present or future), it's stupid.

Republicans can get as mad as they want over this senate seat thing.

Tough shit; cry me a river. I have no sympathy for a party that's already had their own fair share of questionable acts (and that is applicable to either one).
                  I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Dr. Love
                    Whatever... the Texas Republicans, by forcing the issue when the Governor called special session after special session WASTED 25 MILLION DOLLARS of Texas taxes. The Texas Democrats, by running away, wasted 25 MILLION DOLLARS of Texas taxes.

So what. Like FORD said here (It's called politics, boys. They all do it, and it's not anything new.), politics is politics.

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Dr. Love

So what. Like FORD said here (It's called politics, boys. They all do it, and it's not anything new.), politics is politics.

Comment

• Dr. Love
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Jan 2004

So what... exactly.
                        I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Comment

• John Ashcroft
                          Veteran
                          • Jan 2004

Rules is rules, and the Dems have bent, broken, twisted, and maliciously complied whenever it's been to their advantage. I'm glad the Republicans in Texas gave the fucking weasels a taste of their own medicine. The only rules broken in the whole situation is when the Dems ran like fugitives to other states. The whole lot of 'em should've been arrested (or shot) upon return.

I stand by my original statement, Dems love the law when they can twist it to their advantage, and continuously undermine law when it doesn't favor them.

Comment

• Steve Savicki
                            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Dems love the law when they can twist it to their advantage, and continuously undermine law when it doesn't favor them.
                            And I suppose you elephants wouldn't do the same thing if the shoe were on the other foot?

EDITED TO ADD: Isn't Bush guilty of murdering American citizens?
                            Last edited by Steve Savicki; 03-07-2004, 07:31 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Steve Savicki
                              And I suppose you elephants wouldn't do the same thing if the shoe were on the other foot?

EDITED TO ADD: Isn't Bush guilty of murdering American citizens?
                              NO.

Comment

Working...