X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Warham
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Mar 2004

Supreme Court Rules Cities May Seize Homes

WASHINGTON - A divided Supreme Court ruled Thursday that local governments may seize people's homes and businesses against their will for private development in a decision anxiously awaited in communities where economic growth often is at war with individual property rights.

The 5-4 ruling - assailed by dissenting Justice Sandra Day O'Connor as handing "disproportionate influence and power" to the well-heeled in America - was a defeat for Connecticut residents whose homes are slated for destruction to make room for an office complex. They had argued that cities have no right to take their land except for projects with a clear public use, such as roads or schools, or to revitalize blighted areas.

As a result, cities now have wide power to bulldoze residences for projects such as shopping malls and hotel complexes in order to generate tax revenue.

The case was one of six resolved by justices on Thursday. Among those still pending for the court, which next meets on Monday, is one testing the constitutionality of displaying the Ten Commands on government property.

Writing for the court's majority in Thursday's ruling, Justice John Paul Stevens said local officials, not federal judges, know best in deciding whether a development project will benefit the community. States are within their rights to pass additional laws restricting condemnations if residents are overly burdened, he said.

"The city has carefully formulated an economic development plan that it believes will provide appreciable benefits to the community, including - but by no means limited to - new jobs and increased tax revenue," Stevens wrote.

Stevens was joined in his opinion by other members of the court's liberal wing - David H. Souter, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Stephen G. Breyer. The bloc typically has favored greater deference to cities, which historically have used the takings power for urban renewal projects that benefit the lower and middle class.

They were joined by Reagan appointee Justice Anthony Kennedy in rejecting the conservative principle of individual property rights. Critics had feared that would allow a small group of homeowners to stymie rebuilding efforts that benefit the city through added jobs and more tax revenue for social programs.

"It is not for the courts to oversee the choice of the boundary line nor to sit in review on the size of a particular project area," Stevens wrote.

O'Connor argued that cities should not have unlimited authority to uproot families, even if they are provided compensation, simply to accommodate wealthy developers.

"Any property may now be taken for the benefit of another private party, but the fallout from this decision will not be random," she wrote. "The beneficiaries are likely to be those citizens with disproportionate influence and power in the political process, including large corporations and development firms."

Connecticut residents involved in the lawsuit expressed dismay and pledged to keep fighting.

"It's a little shocking to believe you can lose your home in this country," said resident Bill Von Winkle, who said he would refuse to leave his home, even if bulldozers showed up. "I won't be going anywhere. Not my house. This is definitely not the last word."

Scott Bullock, an attorney for the Institute for Justice representing the families, added: "A narrow majority of the court simply got the law wrong today and our Constitution and country will suffer as a result."

At issue was the scope of the Fifth Amendment, which allows governments to take private property through eminent domain if the land is for "public use."

Susette Kelo and several other homeowners in a working-class neighborhood in New London, Conn., filed suit after city officials announced plans to raze their homes for a riverfront hotel, health club and offices.

New London officials countered that the private development plans served a public purpose of boosting economic growth that outweighed the homeowners' property rights, even if the area wasn't blighted.

Connecticut state Rep. Ernest Hewett, D-New London, a former mayor and city council member who voted in favor of eminent domain, said the decision "means a lot for New London's future."

The lower courts had been divided on the issue, with many allowing a taking only if it eliminates blight.

Nationwide, more than 10,000 properties were threatened or condemned in recent years, according to the Institute for Justice, a Washington public interest law firm representing the New London homeowners.

New London, a town of less than 26,000, once was a center of the whaling industry and later became a manufacturing hub. More recently the city has suffered the kind of economic woes afflicting urban areas across the country, with losses of residents and jobs.

City officials envision a commercial development that would attract tourists to the Thames riverfront, complementing an adjoining Pfizer Corp. research center and a proposed Coast Guard museum.

New London was backed in its appeal by the National League of Cities, which argued that a city's eminent domain power was critical to spurring urban renewal with development projects such Baltimore's Inner Harbor and Kansas City's Kansas Speedway.

Under the ruling, residents still will be entitled to "just compensation" for their homes as provided under the Fifth Amendment. However, Kelo and the other homeowners had refused to move at any price, calling it an unjustified taking of their property.

The case is Kelo et al v. City of New London, 04-108.
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

WARHAM and I agree on something! :eek: This is complete and utter bullshit.

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

This is entirely out of character. It should be the conservative judges supporting corporatism. Who put the LSD in their water?

While I would be in support of a court decision that limited development for environmental reasons, there's NO excuse whatsoever to enable corporations to further swindle people like this would do.

Leave the bad decisions to Fat Tony and Clarence the Clown
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Redballjets88
        Full Member Status

• Mar 2005

holy shit conservs. and libs agreeing maybe vh is reuniting
        R.I.P Van Halen 1978-1984

hopefully God will ressurect you

"i wont be messing with you in future.the fearsome redballjets88 for fear of you owning me some more" Axl S

" I liked Sammy Hagar " FORD

Comment

• Warham
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Mar 2004

I was listening to Howie Carr on the way home from work today, and he had a poll going where 98% of the pollers disagreed with this decision.

Comment

• BigBadBrian
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Fuckers in my town have made people sell personal property so the city can build fucking HOTELS and CONVENTION CENTERS for fucking tourists. Let 'em go to the beach and get eaten by the sharks.

“If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• academic punk
              Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
              Fuckers in my town have made people sell personal property so the city can build fucking HOTELS and CONVENTION CENTERS for fucking tourists. Let 'em go to the beach and get eaten by the sharks.

But it's good for the economy, Brian! Isn't that what matters? People can relocate, but centralized shopping malls are the bottom line for this country...

"The business of America is business"

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Jan 2004

I don't agree with this decision either, but the subtitle of this thread is misleading. It does not mean that localities will raze private homes to build 7-11s. They still need to show a legitimate public purpose.

The theory behind the decision is that it will allow more public improvement development projects for the poor. I don't buy it, but even if the theory is reasonable, it's still a dangerous precedent I think.
                ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
                Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• The Scatologist
                  Sniper
                  • Jan 2005

I say they people who are getting displaced, should riot.

Or even better, when all the new shops and shit are built on top of their homes, loot the damn places

Then tear it down!

It was their land in the first place anyway!
                  The name Sammy Hagar conjures up a variety of emotions from music fans--from hate to contempt, from disgust to revulsion.

-TheSmokingGun.com

Comment

• Warham
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
                    I don't agree with this decision either, but the subtitle of this thread is misleading. It does not mean that localities will raze private homes to build 7-11s. They still need to show a legitimate public purpose.

The theory behind the decision is that it will allow more public improvement development projects for the poor. I don't buy it, but even if the theory is reasonable, it's still a dangerous precedent I think.
                    The subtitle was added for sarcasm.

There's apparently no such thing as 'home sweet home' when the town can come in with a bulldozer to build a shopping mall that'll be run down in twenty years.

Comment

• Cathedral
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Jan 2004

This is wrong wrong wrong, this will not stand and the people will see it rectified.

See, I told you that neither side can be trusted anymore.
                      The process of shitting on the very people that employ them just gets worse and worse and covers all the isles in Washington.

Welcome the new party, the Republicrat, or Democan Party of the people who hate people with more AND less than them.

Unbelievable.................

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Urban sprawl is one of this country's biggest blights. This decision has the potential to add to the sprawl.

Comment

• academic punk
                          Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

Originally posted by Cathedral

See, I told you that neither side can be trusted anymore.
                          The process of shitting on the very people that employ them just gets worse and worse and covers all the isles in Washington.

Welcome the new party, the Republicrat, or Democan Party of the people who hate people with more AND less than them.

In fairness, the courts - and obviously The Supreme Court - are supposed to exist outsdie of partisan politics. They don't render judgements based on political viewpoints, but based instead on precedent.

And the precedent already exists for this. This was basically just reconfirming and ujpholding the law as it already existed.

Am I happy about it? Of course not. But it's nothing new, and communities and people who are going to be displaced are still going to protest loud and clear, sometimes to the point where a private investor backs off and decides the backlash outweighs the benefit, or will commit, for example, to the improvement of the towns parks.

Comment

• Warham
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Mar 2004

Let's be honest here. The court does render decisions based on their political viewpoints...

Wasn't it David Souter who said he likes to consult international law as precedent for his decisions? International law????

There was no previous law for this. The proper usage for that 5th amendment would be something like the state demolishing your house to build a new highway that will aleviate traffic problems in the area. That's fair use.

Taking your house for a strip mall is not.

A terrible decision.

Comment

• academic punk
                              Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

Originally posted by Warham
                              Let's be honest here. The court does render decisions based on their political viewpoints...

Wasn't it David Souter who said he likes to consult international law as precedent for his decisions? International law????

There was no previous law for this. The proper usage for that 5th amendment would be something like the state demolishing your house to build a new highway that will aleviate traffic problems in the area. That's fair use.

Taking your house for a strip mall is not.

A terrible decision.
                              Their thinking is that - under the 5th Amendment - this will allieve impoverished districts by giving an economic boost by way of jobs and businesses.

What's gioing on with you, Warham? When did you start reading Mother Jones?

Hippy.

Comment

Working...